Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

Husq%20Diamant%20400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I got the bit about a hand mower, what i didn't understand was talking about a 16inch cut - what that means and why is it important or not.

mel.b wrote: »
    I got the bit about a hand mower, what i didn't understand was talking about a 16inch cut - what that means and why is it important or not.
    40cm is less than 16"
    That's a small mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

But it's only a smallish yard i'll be doing so that just means it will take slightly longer. That wouldn't worry me as it'd only take about 15-20min anyway. Otherwise is it ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

I've been through the thread and am a bit bamboozled -- Would anyone be so good as to recommend a lawnmower for me - 1/2 acre site so guessing 1/3 Acre Lawn

Not pushed either way between self drive & push - Is self drive just another thing that can breakdown? Garden is relatively flat ...maybe a 2 foot incline over 60 meters.

Would like a widish cutting deck - 20" +
    And a Large Capacity bag
    And Mulching Option

Have considered these
    Castelgarden XP50B
    Castelgarden XC53BSW4
    World WYZ22H
    snapper espv21675

These are all pretty close to my €500 budget ( Snapper is a bit over)

Anything else I should consider?

OK - I think I've narrowed it down to
    snapper espv21675 - B&S / Steel Deck / 21" Cut / 90Ltr Bag

or

Husqvarna LC153V - Honda / Steel Deck / 21" Cut 65Ltr Bag

Any thoughts or experience with Either?

• Advertisement

Self propulsion system in Snapper is well proven and will always be cheaply repairable.
    I'd expect Snapper to be using a heavier gauge steel deck.
    90 litre bag is about as large as you are going to get before the lawnmower becomes unbalanced and the front starts rising.
    Husqvarna has a better torquier engine but the engine on the Snapper isn't a bad engine.
    Husqvarna's steel decked lawnmowers have always been a bit rubbishy.
    My preference would be the Snapper with the engine off the Husky but failing that I'd take the Snapper although I'm not very familiar with this particular model. I'm just looking at the sum of its parts and it is the one I'd go for assuming it costs no more than the Husky. As it has the cheaper engine I'd really expect to be paying about 50 quid less than for the Husky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

or

husqvarnas are heaps of siht. get a Honda or else a castlegarden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

or

I got the Snapper and it's a great machine. The variable speed is very useful compared to standard self-propelled. While I've no real experience of any other machines I was more than happy with it.

I got mine from AM Rentals in Newry and would recommend them. They're cheaper than the dealers in the south and they're backup is really good. I'd a couple of minor issues and they looked after me very well (even though I'm in Dublin). They can be contacted through celticmicky who sometimes posts on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Tbh gauge of steel on the deck isn't that important if you are cleaning as you should every time you use it, I haven't heard any bad things about the husqvarna and I know a good few people with them, the snapper is also a good machine, so either will serve you well.

unfortunately ; even with the best intentions in the world I know I wont clean it!

• Advertisement

For mulching or bagging it is imperative you keep the deck as clean as possible just a couple of minutes brushing after use and keep the bag clean too bagging relies on airflow

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Tbh gauge of steel on the deck isn't that important if you are cleaning as you should every time you use it, I haven't heard any bad things about the husqvarna and I know a good few people with them, the snapper is also a good machine, so either will serve you well.
    Gauge of steel is very important. It takes longer to rot through, grass is acidic and besides that I've seen lawnmowers with very thin gauge steel suffer metal fatigue at stress points.With most steel deck lawnmowers the engines outlive the decks where as with old deep drawn snappers the decks have outlived engines.

Like I said if you keep the deck clean the grass doesn't have any effect.

Like I said if you keep the deck clean the grass doesn't have any effect.
    Observation over the years shows that people don't clean their lawnmowers as it adds an extra 10 minutes to the chore at the end when they are tired.

Well there you go if they bothered to then their mowers would last longer. I clean mine every cut. But then I also have one of the most expensive pro mowers available. Well two actually lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Looking to get a new lawnmower and was recommended a Weibang WB536SKL, powered by a Kohler XT-7 Engine.. Anyone ever heard of these or have one? Not sure what size my garden is, should really measure it.. Takes me a good hour to mow it tho. Currently have a 19" Mulcher, no idea of the brand, it came with the house.. Looking for something with a 21" deck and self propelled.. pain pushing the current mower up the slope of the garden.

I have seen a lot of these weibang mowers in the last few years coming in, they are 100% Chinese, I personally think they are hideously ugly machines but a lot of dealers are singing their praises, but then they would because they are trying to sell them! The ones I have seen always are a similar price to premium brand (tried and tested) so I might be worth your while looking around a bit more, what price were you quoted?

I haveHonda a lot of these weibang mowers in the last few years coming in, they are 100% Chinese, I personally think they are hideously ugly machines but a lot of dealers are singing their praises, but then they would because they are trying to sell them! The ones I have seen always are a similar price to premium brand (tried and tested) so I might be worth your while looking around a bit more, what price were you quoted?

€580... Been trying to get my hands on a used Honda hrx 537 but no luck and any I find are over €500

Lol I didn't mean to put honda in my original post, my phone obviously knows my love for them and did it for me !

How much is the weibang costing?

How much is the weibang costing?

€580 with a 3yr warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Mcorriga

Hi,

I need to by a lawnmower( my First) and have been looking at the snapper ESPV21675. It is been sold by a local supplier less than 3 miles from me with a 2 year warranty for 650 euros

Firstly is this a good mower and offer??

What is the equivalant Honda. Is it the HRG range(marginally dearer) or HRX range ( much dearer)

Regards,

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

Mcorriga wrote: »
    Hi,

I need to by a lawnmower( my First) and have been looking at the snapper ESPV21675. It is been sold by a local supplier less than 3 miles from me with a 2 year warranty for 650 euros

Firstly is this a good mower and offer??

What is the equivalant Honda. Is it the HRG range(marginally dearer) or HRX range ( much dearer)

Regards,

Mike

Is this brand new? If so I would go for it. We have sold a lot of these in the past (they are no longer available from Snapper) and would have loved the chance to get them again. Very solid lawnmower with a great range in cutting heights and very large collector (90ltr if I remember correctly).

A small percentage of the engines gave a problem with the automatic choke system, but it is a simple fix for the shop and will be covered under the warranty if it does become faulty.

Is this brand new? If so I would go for it. We have sold a lot of these in the past (they are no longer available from Snapper) and would have loved the chance to get them again. Very solid lawnmower with a great range in cutting heights and very large collector (90ltr if I remember correctly).

A small percentage of the engines gave a problem with the automatic choke system, but it is a simple fix for the shop and will be covered under the warranty if it does become faulty.

Is this essentially the same mower - different brand
    Murray-EMPV21675

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

Is this essentially the same mower - different brand
    Murray-EMPV21675

Yes I would say it is. Murray and Snapper are both owned by Briggs and Stratton.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Guys,

Don't mean to butt in on this thread - anyone have an opinion on the Snapper NX90 Versus the Rover 861M107 (the Rover is £100 more expensive

Many Thanks

Tanka

tanka006 wrote: »
    Guys,

Don't mean to butt in on this thread - anyone have an opinion on the Snapper NX90 Versus the Rover 861M107 (the Rover is £100 more expensive

Many Thanks

Tanka

I have a rover. Main reason I bought it is because the back is all open into the collector bag. It doesn't get clogged up even when the grass is damp. Don't know what the back of the snapper is like. Its great with the mulcher plug too. How much are you getting the rover for?

You're not butting in. This is what this thread is for

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Suresanders

Many thanks for the feedback sounds good.

Since I posted earlier, I decided on the Rover

No problem asking about price - I am buying from a company in Newry called AM Rentals.

Had a great chat with a very informed straight guy there called Michael who spent ages advising the pros & cons of each mower in their range - no pressure to buy.

The price is expensive for me @ Stg£569 plus £20 delivery

I finally decided on this model as this is the machine they rent out to their customers!

Thanks Again

Best Regards

Tanka

P.S. I have absolutely no connection to this company - just a potential customer

Anyone have any views on the Honda HRX 537 HYE? Might be able to get my hands one one, less than 2yrs old and in very good condition for around €500. I really like the idea of the versa mow system, being able to partially mulch and collect would suit my garden perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

Has anyone any experience of mower with electric button tipper for grass - need around a 20 HP 42" deck hydrostatic - thinking of either going for one with an electric tipper or as an alternative going for side chute discharge - no collection with mulch - area is about 1.25 acres can be pretty wet and thick grass. Do the auto tipper ones give much trouble and anywhere recommended to buy from north co Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 dadam

can anyone help me make my mind up? have about an acre to cut every 2nd day, am wondering would a kubota 1600 be up to this or should i go 2100/ or should i go john deere/iseki? all dependent on a chat with the bank manager of course!!!

Advertisement