Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

dadam wrote: »
    can anyone help me make my mind up? have about an acre to cut every 2nd day, am wondering would a kubota 1600 be up to this or should i go 2100/ or should i go john deere/iseki? all dependent on a chat with the bank manager of course!!!

Etesia hydro, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dadam

local dealer/price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

shamu2new wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of mower with electric button tipper for grass - need around a 20 HP 42" deck hydrostatic - thinking of either going for one with an electric tipper or as an alternative going for side chute discharge - no collection with mulch - area is about 1.25 acres can be pretty wet and thick grass. Do the auto tipper ones give much trouble and anywhere recommended to buy from north co Dublin?

I remember viking rear discharger from 15 or 20 years ago was on a counterbalanced spring which wasn't an electric button but as near as you could get and low tech which should have been durable.

local dealer/price?

Whereabouts are you? Uk prices start at about £5,000 but you would need to check with a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dadam

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you? Uk prices start at about £5,000 but you would need to check with a dealer.

Dublin area

• Advertisement

Dublin area

Will these guys do then? http://shanleymowers.net

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

tanka006 wrote: »
    Suresanders

Many thanks for the feedback sounds good.

Since I posted earlier, I decided on the Rover

No problem asking about price - I am buying from a company in Newry called AM Rentals.

Had a great chat with a very informed straight guy there called Michael who spent ages advising the pros & cons of each mower in their range - no pressure to buy.

The price is expensive for me @ Stg£569 plus £20 delivery

I finally decided on this model as this is the machine they rent out to their customers!

Thanks Again

Best Regards

Tanka

P.S. I have absolutely no connection to this company - just a potential customer

Long way to travel if you have a problem, factor in 2 trips leave it and collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

Ok - I could do with more help please - Im still looking for my new mower - see post #930 - having to pay to get it cut so far and just cant afford to keep going like this - need to decide what and where to buy in the next few days.

Instead of rear discharge with electric tipper perhaps something like a Craftsman 992310 42" Hydrostatic 19.5 B&S with side discharge and mulch but no collection - local dealer quoted €2300. Im just not sure about side discharge and leaving the cuttings on the grass rather than rear discharge and collect. I know from reading here that side discharge to collection is a disaster with clogging wet grass but what about side discharge without collection as in the Craftsman recommended by dealer - any thoughts?

snapper rider.

@phil lives - any particular reason why please?

• Advertisement

because they are very good and practically indestructable.

Fair enough- do you have one - or have you used on - any particular model - and where to buy in Ireland?

Fair enough- do you have one - or have you used on - any particular model - and where to buy in Ireland?
    known them for the last 30 years. You'd want to look for a rider, not the lawn tractor.
    gardenmachinery.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just checked out that website, those Snappers look the business.

I'm guessing they are big money.

Base model with base engine is still plenty good. you don't have to go for high end model.

Not sure if im searching that website right but the biggest rider I can find is this one - its 15.5 hp 33 cut - which is smaller than the craftsman one but dearer? Snapper ER17533RDF - Rear Engine Ride-on seems a bit small? Whats the difference in a rider and a side discharge mulch please?

everything on a snapper is heavy duty. check the gauge of the deck for a start.
    snappers are narrow as they have a single blade deck only but you can travel at top speed while cutting the deck without straining the belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just checked out that website, those Snappers look the business.

I'm guessing they are big money.
    Try Terry Brady fairyhouse motors.01 9256282

Thanks so far - visited a couple of dealers locally today and was offered

Snapper ELT 2246 at 3200 plus mulching kit extra
    or
    Craftsman 19.5 HP side discharge 2400 includes mulch plug.

Any thoughts - is the Snapper worth the extra and I don't this this is what you meant by a Snapper Rider as it looks more like the lawn tractor - but it is a side discharge - Ive no info on the mulching kit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Id never buy a side discharge. Where in the country are you shamu2new. Iv a pal in the grasscare machinery game to possibly help you?

• Advertisement

Craftsman 19.5 HP side discharge 2400 includes mulch plug.

Any thoughts - is the Snapper worth the extra and I don't this this is what you meant by a Snapper Rider as it looks more like the lawn tractor - but it is a side discharge - Ive no info on the mulching kit
    The lawn tractor looses the advantages of the rider which are tighter turning circle and articulated chassis.
    I wouldn't consider that Snapper Lawn Tractor good value for money although I would expect it to be better built than a Craftsman ride-on

@MidlandsM - am in North County Dublin - can you pm info?
    @Phil Lives - thanks very much for your input - you certainly seem to know your stuff really appreciate your help - when you talk of a rider are you talking something like the RE210 Snapper which is the biggest I can find?

yes, that's the largest currently available. It has been redesigned in the last year.

Thanks will go back to the dealer again and check it out - he didn't offer that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Hi there folks.

Just broke the old reliable Castlegarden push lawnmower, deck has rotted away but engine is still going strong.

Need a replacement and fancy a self drive one. Something 19inch would do.

Spotted this from Honda, Im sure its a good mower but can anyone recommened something similar
    Linky : http://www.hondaireland.ie/lawn-garden/mowers/hrx476-vye/

The wishlist.
    Not any more expensive than the honda, 900 max
    Self propelled with a few speeds rather than 1 speed.
    Mulching
    Good sized grassbox
    Reliable is always good, hoping to take another 10 years out of this one. The CG one lasted 13 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭patrickc68

hi any mower mechanics able to tell me what could be wrong with my rideon,,,its a castlegarden xt160,,after 20min or so it won't go up the slightest incline,,,i changed the belt, tighten up tensioner made no difference,i think it has the k46 transaxel,,there is high hours on the machine,,so i wondering if i changed the oil in the gearbox,,,would it do antin?,is it possible to get parts to rebuild?is there anyway of knowing if you were buying a decent second hand axel?any advise would be appreciated,,

Redfox25 wrote: »
    The wishlist.
    Not any more expensive than the honda, 900 max
    Self propelled with a few speeds rather than 1 speed.
    Mulching
    Good sized grassbox
    Reliable is always good, hoping to take another 10 years out of this one. The CG one lasted 13 years.

I have a rover similar to this http://www.esaleslocal.com/rover. I got it in mayo for €720
    Main reason I bought it is because the back is all open into the collector bag. It doesn't get clogged up even when the grass is damp.

It won't rust and it will easily last 10 years. A neighbour of mine has his for 15. Has all your features except the few speeds. I'd say you would get a bigger grass box elsewhere as well. Rover pro cut 50 mulch n catch is what I have

I have a rover similar to this http://www.esaleslocal.com/rover. I got it in mayo for €720

It won't rust and it will easily last 10 years. A neighbour of mine has his for 15. Has all your features except the few speeds. I'd say you would get a bigger grass box elsewhere as well. Rover pro cut 50 mulch n catch is what I have

I had not thought of Rover. Will give them a look for sure.

Simplicty by Briggs and Straton look good too.

patrickc68 wrote: »
    hi any mower mechanics able to tell me what could be wrong with my rideon,,,its a castlegarden xt160,,after 20min or so it won't go up the slightest incline,,,i changed the belt, tighten up tensioner made no difference,i think it has the k46 transaxel,,there is high hours on the machine,,so i wondering if i changed the oil in the gearbox,,,would it do antin?,is it possible to get parts to rebuild?is there anyway of knowing if you were buying a decent second hand axel?any advise would be appreciated,,

Sounds like the belts are heating up and getting loose.
    Assuming that it works for the first 20 mins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

Hi guys.

Simple question here about a simple mower.

I have a tiny front lawn but it costs a fiver a time to get it mown by the local guy. A simple push cylinder job would be perfect.

Is the lidl silvercrest one worth 50 notes or should I 'Argos it'?

Advertisement