Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

An Argos handmower like a qualcast will be no better than a florabest hand mower from lidl in fact it will probably be worse. best thing to do with a handmower is use it regualarly and oil it like crazy making sure that the plate at the botton is in contact with spindle so that it sharpens itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Hi guys, I'm looking for advice on a 3-gang mower that my soccer club has.
    There are issues with the powersteering box, the fuel pump, kingpins, a switch and one of the hydraulic pumps.

With the cost that will be involved in getting parts, we're considering getting another one of the same type, as it's a cracking machine when it's running properly.

It's a Hayter Beaver T24 like the one in the pic.
    $(KGrHqV,!qsFH2y-O4fYBSCPYpqv0g~~60_35.JPG

I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells them, or even that sells parts for them - any advice (or alternatives) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Aldi seem to have a decent enough self propelled 140cc Briggs & Stratton 575EX engine machine in next Thursday for 249 euro.

7 centrally adjusted cutting heights,60 litre grass collection hybrid box and an 18 inch cutting width

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-29th-may/products-detail-page/ps/p/140cc-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower/

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm looking for advice on a 3-gang mower that my soccer club has.
    There are issues with the powersteering box, the fuel pump, kingpins, a switch and one of the hydraulic pumps.

With the cost that will be involved in getting parts, we're considering getting another one of the same type, as it's a cracking machine when it's running properly.

It's a Hayter Beaver T24 like the one in the pic.
    $(KGrHqV,!qsFH2y-O4fYBSCPYpqv0g~~60_35.JPG

I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells them, or even that sells parts for them - any advice (or alternatives) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Al.

Hi Al, try this guy he has a wealth of knowledge on Hayter Commercial machines : Derek 0868308033.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

From experience Cheap self propelled mowers are a waste of money, as sue as day follows night the drives pack up and no one will have spares especially after the warranty has expired. Buy a push nodel because that is what you will have eventually.

• Advertisement

They might not be that bad especially an ALDI one with 3 year warranty.
    If the drive gearbox packs up then you can labour on by cutting the drive belt and removing the drive cogs from the wheels and then it becomes a slightly heavier push mower.

I do agree about cheap self-propelled mowers in general though. Cheap steel decked lawnmowers are so light that you are better off not buying the self-propelled versions which add weight and only work at one fixed speed rather than push ones which are easily pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

sheelbee wrote: »
    Hi Al, try this guy he has a wealth of knowledge on Hayter Commercial machines : Derek 0868308033.

Thanks, i'll give him a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Looking for a ride-on for a half acre site. Budget is 900-950 . Site has a steepish bank at the back . I'm looking for a second hand but not having much luck on donedeal etc. but allot of the ride-ons seem to be over 10 years old and crazy money. Very few suppliers seem to be online ( except AM! ). Any help greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Get a good walk behind and forget a ride on for your budget, most second hand will be for sale because they have problems.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Get a good walk behind and forget a ride on for your budget, most second hand will be for sale because they have problems.

No Thanks!

• Advertisement

finding a good secondhand ride-on is like finding a needle in a haystack. Nobody replaces a washing machine for no good reason, likewise, nobody upgrades a ride-on for no good reason i.e. it is clapped out and has reached the end of its economic life.
    Thoughts like do I repair my ride-on or do I go on holidays this year come in to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

buy a goat put in the garden wen u come back from your holiday the garden will be sorted no need for a ride on mower

bmm wrote: »
    No Thanks!

Good luck finding a ride on for your budget.

Why are you so against a walk behind?

Phil_Lives wrote: »
    finding a good secondhand ride-on is like finding a needle in a haystack. Nobody replaces a washing machine for no good reason, likewise, nobody upgrades a ride-on for no good reason i.e. it is clapped out and has reached the end of its economic life.
    Thoughts like do I repair my ride-on or do I go on holidays this year come in to play.

What would be the least amount i wud need to spend on a new ride-on? Would this be one of the snapper models?

€3000 but only any point if your garden is nice and square and long otherwise quicker to use walk behind. And don't forget the servicing costs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How steep is steepish?
    Banks are dangerous on ride-ons. Lots of people have found this out to their cost.
    AS motor make very good 2 stroke mowers that don't run out of oil on banks and seize.
    A good walk behind is faster cutting than a ride-on with the same power due to the fact that the engine isn't hauling around a human of ~75kg
    Your budget isn't enough to buy a reliable ride-on.
    It may however buy a decent 21" walk behind.
    I haven't seen the 30" Twin blade Toro time master but they look to be a good compromise with regard to price and width of cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Any thoughts on this mower?

http://www.murray.com/uk/en/push-mowers/dealers/MXUA21675/

B&S 675
    21 inch
    70 Litre Bag
    Alloy Deck
    Variable Speed.

B&S 675
    21 inch
    70 Litre Bag
    Alloy Deck
    Variable Speed.

I have a mower with the same engine and never had any trouble with it. Starts first time every time. I've cut grass after 3 weeks with it once and it handled it well. This is my second season with it

I think people are saying on here that you shouldn't buy mowers with steel decks as the rust over time

Edit: the link says steel deck

I have a mower with the same engine and never had any trouble with it. Starts first time every time. I've cut grass after 3 weeks with it once and it handled it well. This is my second season with it

I think people are saying on here that you shouldn't buy mowers with steel decks as the rust over time

Edit: the link says steel deck

Thanks , that's a mistake I think . Looked at one in shop and they said alluminium

Thanks , that's a mistake I think . Looked at one in shop and they said alluminium

Personally i'm not sure about buying a mower with varying speeds. do you really need it. is it another thing to go wrong. however I have never used a mower with varying speeds so maybe there is something I am missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That Toro Time Master is quite a machine. I was looking at one in my local dealer.

The only doubt is that the collection shute isn't very big for such a wide cut

Discodog wrote: »
    That Toro Time Master is quite a machine. I was looking at one in my local dealer.

The only doubt is that the collection shute isn't very big for such a wide cut

:) last thing I need is another option . Also considering castle garden xa50bs

:) last thing I need is another option . Also considering castle garden xa50bs

Read /watch the online reviews. It has a lot of good features. At 30 inches it will be much quicker than a standard mower.

Unfortunately budget won't stretch. !

B&S 675
    21 inch
    70 Litre Bag
    Alloy Deck
    Variable Speed.
    I know this machine and it is very sturdy which is surprising considering it is a Murray which as a brand always chased the bottom end of the market.
    On a 21" mower Variable speed drive especially infinitely variable speed drive where available can knock 10 minutes off the length of time it takes to cut a lawn. A single speed mower will always be too fast around bushes and too slow out in the open.

Unfortunately budget won't stretch. !

Probably a good thing. I have since learned that, as I suspected, it clogs.

Personally I wouldn't buy a Murray & I wouldn't buy Briggs

Cheers , want an alloy though

I use an Izy commercially as do quite a few contractors. Mine is 3 years old & the deck is fine. Remember that alloy can break if a stone hits it. Provided that the deck is cleaned it shouldn't rust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

honda izy is a good mower i one have the past two years goes like a clock wance the deck is cleaned of grass the steel deck will last for years alloy deck dont rust but are prone to cracking and break easy if hit by a object

Advertisement