Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

The Murray is a Snapper with a different badge...excellent machine, good collection and reliable.. Good hunting.

Discodog wrote: »
    Probably a good thing. I have since learned that, as I suspected, it clogs.

Personally I wouldn't buy a Murray & I wouldn't buy Briggs

Have you had bad experiences with Briggs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

. spotted this on the Bargain Alerts thread .. seems to beat the Aldi one out just over a month ago.

HERE

So was wondering what yer opinions are. Essentially I'd only be cutting a 20x10m area about 4-5 times a year. My budget would be under the €250 mark so I can appreciate there would be wayyy better mowers for more money.. I would intend to clean it after every cut too!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

That size of grass and if you are serious about only doing it 4-5 times a year would be more practical to get someone in to do it for you.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    That size of grass and if you are serious about only doing it 4-5 times a year would be more practical to get someone in to do it for you.

Naa I like to do me own garden thanks. So what do ye think... will it do the job for a good few years?

• Advertisement

Tbh 5 times a year isn't very often for grass and you get what you pay for. I am sure it will do you fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

Armelodie wrote: »
    . spotted this on the Bargain Alerts thread .. seems to beat the Aldi one out just over a month ago.

HERE

So was wondering what yer opinions are. Essentially I'd only be cutting a 20x10m area about 4-5 times a year. My budget would be under the €250 mark so I can appreciate there would be wayyy better mowers for more money.. I would intend to clean it after every cut too!

Cheers

Got one of this model 3 years ago, and have found it fine. Just cut the grass frequently and don't expect the self-drive to plough through a meadow !

Got one of this model 3 years ago, and have found it fine. Just cut the grass frequently and don't expect the self-drive to plough through a meadow !

I read a thread about it HERE just today so am thinking of bringing it back.. Im thinking I'll keep ploughing on with the push yoke I have this summer, then maybe invest in a good second hand brand that has good parts availability...

Have a look at this one on adverts ...... He might as well be holding the engine with his hands:pac::pac::pac:

NmJlYzFlZjI5YzRkYWY5ZjYzNGIzYTkyYTUzMzViMDBtKOhkKpRdojsGoSdNaEq3aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vODNjMDJjMmMxYTU1MGVkMWYzZmM3OTY3OGQzZTUwY2NlZTk1MjRlN2Q5OWYwZmQ5OTViYzdhNWJiNWZjNmUwMi5qcGd8fDI5NHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cfosulli

We've just bought our first home and need to get a lawnmower. Front lawn is about 60m2 and back lawn is about 120m2. Considering the small area would posters recommend buying a reconditioned unit or should we pay for the peace of mind and get a new unit?

Get a nice quality petrol non self propelled mower 16 inch cut or thereabouts kept well and serviced regularly should last many years.

• Advertisement

Ended up getting a 17" Sanli Self Propelled mower from Dublin Grass Machinery. Has been used once and all is good. The lads in Dublin Grass Machinery assembled it for me and demo'd it for me before I loaded it up in the car. Can't fault the service and the 2yr warranty on the machine hopefully won't need to be put to the test

cfosulli wrote: »
    Ended up getting a 17" Sanli Self Propelled mower from Dublin Grass Machinery. Has been used once and all is good. The lads in Dublin Grass Machinery assembled it for me and demo'd it for me before I loaded it up in the car. Can't fault the service and the 2yr warranty on the machine hopefully won't need to be put to the test

Mind me asking what was the ballpark price?

€300 which also included assembly, full tank of petrol and oil

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mlekelly

Not sure if this is correct thread.
    I've a Husqvarna ride on mower and it has stopped moving. Drove it into the shed and when I went back in to take it out a week later no movement - Starts fine, blades move fine but nothing when I put into gear.
    I read on line that it may be a belt which has come off but there is no sound of anything moving either, I assume if belt had come off a wheel there would be the mechanical sound of a wheel of some type moving. Could it be electrical?? Bringing into garage is big deal as I don't have trailer or hitch so have to borrow both for going in and taking out. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Hi, did you push it at anytime while it was off? I have a john Deere and if it's pushed or pulled when off it disengages a drive belt , you have to push a switch (mines located at back, take off collection chute and it's on left ) and you're back in business , not sure if same for a husky but could be...

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Remove your collection box, then remove the tube that carrys the grass from your cutting deck to your box. This is only held in with two rubber straps. This will allow you look at the traction belt.
    I had a few that the belt came off.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I need to buy a new mower and would appreciate some advice.

The current garden is made up of about 4 sections of lawn, a couple of them about 15m2 - 30m2 (with borders and walls) and the rest is larger with some quite steep slopes/berms/banks. Takes about an hour an a half to cut.

Today the guy in my garden centre recommended the Honda HRX 537 Hydro or Variable at 1095 and 995 respectively. Tehy seem qute large and heavy and a little concerned how easy it will be to get around the smaller gardens

Considering the current mower is 20 years old I have no idea how much a decent mower should cost. I don't mind paying if it will last another 15 to 20 years.

He also recommended a Husq model for 550eu which is more like what I originally intended to spend.

I'd like a propelled mower and seems the variable speeds will be useful moving between small and big spaces.
    Don't think mulching is important

Appreciate your thoughts on this?

Go for the honda, you won't be disappointed, the weight won't matter, my Hondas weigh 65kg or thereabouts.

Very good wet collection too.

Brianmeath wrote: »
    Remove your collection box, then remove the tube that carrys the grass from your cutting deck to your box. This is only held in with two rubber straps. This will allow you look at the traction belt.
    I had a few that the belt came off.

Thanks Brian, had a look at it yesterday evening - it seems that the belt is on OK. I'm resigned to get into a garage at this point - garden going wild so can't hang about!

Thanks again

shooter69 wrote: »
    Hi, did you push it at anytime while it was off? I have a john Deere and if it's pushed or pulled when off it disengages a drive belt , you have to push a switch (mines located at back, take off collection chute and it's on left ) and you're back in business , not sure if same for a husky but could be...

Thanks Shooter - No luck with that belt is on track just no movement.

• Advertisement

Go for the honda, you won't be disappointed, the weight won't matter, my Hondas weigh 65kg or thereabouts.

Very good wet collection too.

Thanks, what's the difference between these do you know and is it worth an extra 100 euro. I can't match what he quoted with model numbers online to check

HRX 537 Hydro or HRX 537 Variable

I can't see a whole load of difference tbh I don't know anything about the variable speed ones I suppose they might have less potentially to go wrong.

The prices quoted look pretty good to me, I would say go for the cheaper of the two and enjoy it!

Hope this helps.

I can't see a whole load of difference tbh I don't know anything about the variable speed ones I suppose they might have less potentially to go wrong.

The prices quoted look pretty good to me, I would say go for the cheaper of the two and enjoy it!

Hope this helps.

Thanks, picked it up today and used it. Variable speed is quite useful on the different size lawns. Flys along

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jamesypeters11

We have had an s1300 since 1998 and had its predecessor...we only replaced it this year...it had 1500+++ hours and with a service each year and belt replacement every three years ran 100% flawlessly for the entire time( older model also did the same) an excellent buy...even if they look rough they have steel body and iron chassis and good build so will be mechanically perfect...we sold our for 800€ and the owner is loving it and it WILL run for at least another 10 years if the same level of care is given to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

My ride on will turn over but will not start/ignition :confused:

this morning i discovered the fuel tank is empty, last night i filled it

what is the most likely scenario?? its a B&S 10hp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

fryup wrote: »
    My ride on will turn over but will not start/ignition :confused:

this morning i discovered the fuel tank is empty, last night i filled it

what is the most likely scenario?? its a B&S 10hp
    Rubber fuel hose gone bad most likely, put another litre of fuel in it and watch where its leaking from.
    It only runs from the tank to a fuel filter and then to the carb.
    Check the joints and see if its weeping there, or the tank could have developed a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Check your engine oil level. Make sure fuel is not getting into your oil.

Yes, fuel has got into oil . . .so what is that a sign of ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

stuck float in carb bowl.

• Advertisement

Took off carb and cleaned it but still no joy . . .engine will turn over but no ignition??

Advertisement