Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Is the float full of fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

It was full of fuel before i cleaned the carb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

float is meant to be a sealed bubble to close off fuel supply once bowl is full.
    if there is fuel in the float the the float won't...er...float.

fryup wrote: »
    It was full of fuel before i cleaned the carb
    not the bowl, just the plastic float inside. You will find a needle attached to the float which stops the fuel flow. The tip of the needle can be rubber, this rubber can go hard and wont seat. Did you use the mower this year?

Yes i used it up until last week

PS how do you empty the float ? Is it not sealed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭ronan.h

Hi,
    Looking to buy a new lawnmower - have an approx 0.5 acre lawn. A lawnmower sales and repair shop beside me have a new Warrior 22" for €500 - can be seen in following link http://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/lawnmowers/warrior-CJ22SP-wheeled-lawn-mower.htm
    Knowing nothing about mowers does it look like it could do a job for a few years? Anyone any expieranced with these?

Yes i used it up until last week

PS how do you empty the float ? Is it not sealed ?

If there is fuel in your float its had it. You need a new one.

Don't mean to flog a dead horse . . .but if it isn't the float or pin what else could it be??

Don't mean to flog a dead horse . . .but if it isn't the float or pin what else could it be??

If there is fuel in the oil it is the float or needle. If it wont fire it could be a blocked jet thats presuming you have a spark compression.
    That covers it,
    Spark,
    Fuel,
    Compression.
    Where are you based?
    If your near me I will look at it for ya.

I'm in Clare

• Advertisement

I'm in Clare

O Jesus you Couldn't be any further from me.

Yippee i fixed it :)

yes it was the carburetor all along, took a fine needle to it this morning and cleared out the jets and sprayed with carb cleaner..and wallah it worked started first turn

still can't understand how this can lead to fuel going into the oil reservoir??

• Registered Users Posts: 45 agentblue

Hi All,
    Im after buying a house that has about 1/2 acre of lawn with some slopes in it. I also have trees and a few other obstacles that I'll need to avoid.
    I have decided on a ride on mower and have started to do some research. I keep coming back to the Honda 2417. a guy near me is selling a 2010 model for ok money. I haven't had a chance to look at the thing yet and I'm worried about the physical size of the mower taking up too much room in my garage.
    Do you think the 2417 is overkill for that size lawn? Are the smaller mowers more manoeverable?
    Thanks in advance for your help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

Has he shown you the lawn the ride-on was cutting? I see no reason to upgrade a ride-on so proceed with care and an orignal receipt of purchase would be useful too as a lot of garden machinery is stolen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

BTW year of purchase counts for little.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sneachtafear

I am looking to buy my first ride on mower. I have a budget of 1500-3500 in mind. The garden is 1 acre with a gentle enough slope on one side. I have absolutely no knowledge of ride ons. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭axe2grind

I hope you guys like a challenge :D
    Trying to find walk behind with the spec below

Honda Engine
    Single lever height adjustment
    Variable speed
    Grass Box
    Rear wheel drive
    Blade clutch
    21"/53cm
    Alloy deck

Thus far, I've concluded I have to compromise...

axe2grind wrote: »
    I hope you guys like a challenge :D

Honda Engine
    Variable speed
    Grass Box
    Rear wheel drive
    Blade clutch
    21"/53cm
    Alloy deck

Kaaz LM5360HXA petrol lawnmower

Honda commercial grade engine
    Honda GXV160 engine
    21 inch cutting deck
    Self propelled transmission
    2 speed gearbox
    Solid aluminium deck - no rust
    Drive shaft - no belt
    Fan assist bagging
    7 position cutting height
    Blade brake clutch - no need to stop engine when emptying bag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Honda GXV160 engine
    21 inch cutting deck
    2 speed gearbox
    Drive shaft - no belt
    Fan assist bagging

And the price is: ????

Honda GXV160 engine
    21 inch cutting deck
    2 speed gearbox
    Drive shaft - no belt
    Fan assist bagging

I've looked at this and from the pics it appears to have individual levers for each wheel. Can anyone confirm one way or the other. I'm willing to compromise with having one lever for each axle.

@Cerco, yes the Kaaz is top end, but my post did not specify budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I've looked at this and from the pics it appears to have individual levers for each wheel. Can anyone confirm one way or the other. I'm willing to compromise with having one lever for each axle.

@Cerco, yes the Kaaz is top end, but my post did not specify budget

A single lever is hopeless which is why professional machines avoid it. For example when there are leaves on the lawn you set the front higher than the rear to ensure that the leaves go under the deck. The same rule applies with long or wet grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Discodog wrote: »
    A single lever is hopeless which is why professional machines avoid it. For example when there are leaves on the lawn you set the front higher than the rear to ensure that the leaves go under the deck. The same rule applies with long or wet grass.

Although my viking pro mower has single height adjust and is a very good collector in rain.

My honda pro mowers do have four wheel adjustment however I have never found it to be of much benefit to collection I prefer to keep the blade razor sharp, that makes more of a difference than adjusting the front wheels.

A decent pro grade mower will set you back over €1000 especially wih the honda gxv engine.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Although my viking pro mower has single height adjust and is a very good collector in rain.

My honda pro mowers do have four wheel adjustment however I have never found it to be of much benefit to collection I prefer to keep the blade razor sharp, that makes more of a difference than adjusting the front wheels.

A decent pro grade mower will set you back over €1000 especially wih the honda gxv engine.

If I am cutting grass covered in leaves you can't lower the cut without the leaves building up in front like a snow plough. I have been in the business for many years & one of the criticisms of the Viking is the single height adjustment. I do agree regarding blade sharpness but that doesn't effect the leaf situation.

I have also raised the front when cutting thick moss. It makes sense because the blade cuts twice & it reduces the strain on the engine.

I am not arguing about how impressive our individual business credentials are, but I don't ever have the need to raise the front of the mower and I have no complaints with the viking, although I still prefer the honda. If you have that many leaves that you need to raise the front of the mower you should probably consider blowing or raking them otherwise you must be emptying the grass bag every ten feet or so. Bearing in mind also that this time of year the cut height would be higher anyway, kind of invalidates the whole raising the front argument.

Is this confirming that the Kaaz has individual levers for each corner? Its not clear to me.

We have lots of fragmented areas of grass and so during a cut we make numerous height adjustments to suit. Ease of use of this aspect is critically important for us. I will consider a front and a back lever.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I am not arguing about how impressive our individual business credentials are, but I don't ever have the need to raise the front of the mower and I have no complaints with the viking, although I still prefer the honda. If you have that many leaves that you need to raise the front of the mower you should probably consider blowing or raking them otherwise you must be emptying the grass bag every ten feet or so. Bearing in mind also that this time of year the cut height would be higher anyway, kind of invalidates the whole raising the front argument.

I disagree. The blade mulches the leaves & compacts them & even better they keep the deck dry so the collection is better. I also disagree about cut height. Most Irish lawns are way too long. By leaving them longer over the Winter they never dry out at soil level which encourages moss & moulds etc.

Groundsmen don't leave the grass longer. Wimbledon cut their grass courts three times a week during November :pac:

Is this confirming that the Kaaz has individual levers for each corner? Its not clear to me.

We have lots of fragmented areas of grass and so during a cut we make numerous height adjustments to suit. Ease of use of this aspect is critically important for us. I will consider a front and a back lever.

From memory it's 4 adjusters. It's definitely at least three as the front wheels have separate adjusters.

The Danarm/Kaaz is essentially a 20+ year old Honda. Some people would say that these were better built than the newer Hondas.

Yes kaaz and honda four adjusters unless roller model then three

I disagree. The blade mulches the leaves & compacts them & even better they keep the deck dry so the collection is better. I also disagree about cut height. Most Irish lawns are way too long. By leaving them longer over the Winter they never dry out at soil level which encourages moss & moulds etc.

Groundsmen don't leave the grass longer. Wimbledon cut their grass courts three times a week during November :pac:

Wimbledon may cut them short all year round but that isn't the right thing for most lawns, I grew up with cylinder mower cut grass and it was always left after September/October to regain strength, in ireland cutting too short in winter is unwise, shorter daylight hours and consistent wet ground don't help short grass. You say that long grass doesn't dry out, I am not suggesting it be left to grow to 3 inches but less than an inch or so is ridiculous.

Also suggesting that a mower not inclined up at the front makes the leaves snowplough is ridiculous, I have never had this, unless of course you leave the leaf clearing too late.

• Advertisement

Honda Engine
    Variable speed
    Grass Box
    Rear wheel drive
    Blade clutch
    21"/53cm
    Alloy deck

OK, so here's the compromise I'm considering
    izy hrg 536 vye €700
    It seems good value for the spec as it has the rotostop, and it has smart drive

The compromise from my list.
    2 levers, one for each axle, but this gives a greater range of height compared to any single levers and we do go into long grass at times, so the extra height option is good to have.

Steel deck, is a concern as we're not good at cleaning, but maybe my concerns are unfounded? I am looking for something that will last a long time but at the same time forgiving to less than ideal cleaning.

Not the commercial grade engine, but I don't expect this to be an issue long term for us.

Also Honda dealer is 4km away

Advertisement