Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Not a bad compromise I think it will do you very well. If you could keep a stiff hand brush close by and just spend 30 seconds every time you finish mowing just knocking the worst off it will last longer and collect/mulch much more efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Wimbledon may cut them short all year round but that isn't the right thing for most lawns, I grew up with cylinder mower cut grass and it was always left after September/October to regain strength, in ireland cutting too short in winter is unwise, shorter daylight hours and consistent wet ground don't help short grass. You say that long grass doesn't dry out, I am not suggesting it be left to grow to 3 inches but less than an inch or so is ridiculous.

Also suggesting that a mower not inclined up at the front makes the leaves snowplough is ridiculous, I have never had this, unless of course you leave the leaf clearing too late.

Well we will have to beg to differ. I find mowers to be a good way of collecting leaves on lawns. Another good option is to raise the front & mulch the leaves with partial collection so that most of the leaf mulch is left on the grass. It disappears within a week or two. I wouldn't buy a mower with a single adjustment.

How do you manage partial collection? I can only collect or discharge, but then I am using the pro models of mowers.

axe2grind wrote: »
    OK, so here's the compromise I'm considering
    izy hrg 536 vye €700
    It seems good value for the spec as it has the rotostop, and it has smart drive

The compromise from my list.
    2 levers, one for each axle, but this gives a greater range of height compared to any single levers and we do go into long grass at times, so the extra height option is good to have.

Steel deck, is a concern as we're not good at cleaning, but maybe my concerns are unfounded? I am looking for something that will last a long time but at the same time forgiving to less than ideal cleaning.

Not the commercial grade engine, but I don't expect this to be an issue long term for us.

Also Honda dealer is 4km away

The Izy's are good machines. I bought a 16 inch as a small area mower on ebay for £250 new. I didn't plan to use it much but I love it. Once the carburettor is tweaked it goes like a rocket & the light weight make is easy to manoeuvre. The Izy's have become popular commercial mowers but there are obviously not as durable as the more expensive models.

The best mower for our conditions is the Etesia but you would only get a second hand one for the price of an Izy. By the way look on ebay & check out Honda dealers near the border. You might save a lot.

How do you manage partial collection? I can only collect or discharge, but then I am using the pro models of mowers.

Simply make up a partial outlet plug. We used to use plastic bottles. It works with leaves really well but the standard blades aren't suitable for mulching - the lift fins get in the way.

I use a Honda Pro Roller.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »

The best mower for our conditions is the Etesia but you would only get a second hand one for the price of an Izy. By the way look on ebay & check out Honda dealers near the border. You might save a lot.

I did try out an etesia this summer, as much as it was good it wasn't almost €1000 better than the honda and it is heavier than the honda which is heavy enough for soft irish lawns!

I did try out an etesia this summer, as much as it was good it wasn't almost €1000 better than the honda and it is heavier than the honda which is heavy enough for soft irish lawns!

Which one ? The 21 inch is way too heavy - that Kawasaki engine weighs a ton. Most contractors go for the 19 inch plastic deck with a Honda Engine. No other mower collects like an Etesia.

Simply make up a partial outlet plug. We used to use plastic bottles. It works with leaves really well but the standard blades aren't suitable for mulching - the lift fins get in the way.

I use a Honda Pro Roller.

I have the qx and hx versions of the hrh 536 they are both great but the viking mb755 is excellent too

Which one ? The 21 inch is way too heavy - that Kawasaki engine weighs a ton. Most contractors go for the 19 inch plastic deck with a Honda Engine. No other mower collects like an Etesia.

I beg to differ on collecting prowess, it wasn't any better than my Hondas or viking, I have been purchasing commercial mowers for years and find the honda the best. The old pro hayters were good and bomb proof but more recent ones give a lot of trouble, the only other problem with the old hayters was the weight.

I tried the etesia pro 53 with the honda engine and it was not €2700 worth of mower.

I'll mention the rover as I usually do as it is what I have. It has a single lever adjustment but also has what they call a vari-tilt system (patent pending) on the latest models. You can raise and lower the front with this. The back is also open so it can collect in all sorts of conditions. I can cut my lawns this time of year between showers. Also has a mulch plug. €720. Maybe not for the pros but good for private use if you have it hard to find time to mow the lawn.

• Advertisement

I'll mention the rover as I usually do as it is what I have. It has a single lever adjustment but also has what they call a vari-tilt system (patent pending) on the latest models. You can raise and lower the front with this. The back is also open so it can collect in all sorts of conditions. I can cut my lawns this time of year between showers. Also has a mulch plug. €720. Maybe not for the pros but good for private use if you have it hard to find time to mow the lawn.

I'll agree with you. Now if only they fitted a Honda engine :pac:

Note how the Aussies know the value of tilting the deck

I'll agree with you. Now if only they fitted a Honda engine :pac:

Note how the Aussies know the value of tilting the deck

are Honda engines way better than briggs and why?

are Honda engines way better than briggs and why?

I think so & so do most contractors. We all have old Hondas where the engines have taken endless abuse & always start first pull. They also tend to be quieter, smoother & use less fuel.

The problem with Briggs is that they make a huge range so you have to know what grade or quality of engine you are getting. Some Briggs engines are incredibly cheap. Honda only make two types so it's much easier. Even the "budget" Honda engines are very good.

Honda mowers also have an excellent resale value.

By the way there was talk of Rover offering Honda engines but on their site it's just B&S or Kohler.

Edit : Etesia are a good example. They started offering Honda engines as an option & they are more expensive but most contractors choose them.

I think so & so do most contractors. We all have old Hondas where the engines have taken endless abuse & always start first pull. They also tend to be quieter, smoother & use less fuel.

The problem with Briggs is that they make a huge range so you have to know what grade or quality of engine you are getting. Some Briggs engines are incredibly cheap. Honda only make two types so it's much easier. Even the "budget" Honda engines are very good.

Honda mowers also have an excellent resale value.

By the way there was talk of Rover offering Honda engines but on their site it's just B&S or Kohler.

yeah I love the rovers blade system. Easy to remove and sharpen. it does great in damp grass but I have mine 2 years and a valve seat went. A guy who will fix it for me reckons its 50 50 as to if it will last or not. Last rover I had 10 years no problems with engine

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Actually found a mower that matches my desired spec and has the GXV engine

And yes that rover blade system is good.

A Powerfile make it easy to sharpen mower blades without removing them providing that it's a top up sharpen & they won't need rebalancing.

axe2grind wrote: »
    Actually found a mower that matches my desired spec and has the GXV engine

And yes that rover blade system is good.

There seem to be a lot of controls on that handle & it's Honda money. I would check the parts availability.

Agreed there are a lot of controls, nothing beats the simplicity of the honda system.

Agreed there are a lot of controls, nothing beats the simplicity of the honda system.

They become a pain when you are mowing under bushes. I even reduced the size of my Honda throttle lever to prevent it catching.

Before you buy any mower you have to be really careful that parts & servicing are available. I would advise anyone to check with their local repairer first. This is another reason why contractors use Hondas.

Now is the time to buy & there should be discounts available.

They become a pain when you are mowing under bushes. I even reduced the size of my Honda throttle lever to prevent it catching.

Before you buy any mower you have to be really careful that parts & servicing are available. I would advise anyone to check with their local repairer first. This is another reason why contractors use Hondas.

Now is the time to buy & there should be discounts available.

Agreed with mowing under bushes that's one nice thing about the viking you can tilt the handles sideways which I thought was just a gimmick but have used it already and it's very handy.

• Advertisement

Agreed with mowing under bushes that's one nice thing about the viking you can tilt the handles sideways which I thought was just a gimmick but have used it already and it's very handy.

what Viking model do you have?

what Viking model do you have?

Mb 755 Ks suresanders

Mb 755 Ks suresanders

How do you find the Kawa engine compared to the Honda ? They used to be heavier & parts were tricky.

By the way do you use the Landscape Juice site & forums ? If not I would recommend joining.

Only been using it a few times so far, still getting used to the completely different control layout, and when you're so used to just using Hondas it takes a while lol.

I am finding it very good , engine could do with a tweak for revs I think although the 10-20 hour first tune up should sort it. And I have my honda carbs tweaked also. Not much noticeable difference in weight.

I find it an altogether nice machine to use.

I find it annoying that manufacturers don't openly quote hp ?

I find it annoying that manufacturers don't openly quote hp ?

I agree, why they can't just have a standardised rating and stick to it but I think it's often a way of dressing something up so people can't compare so easily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

I agree, why they can't just have a standardised rating and stick to it but I think it's often a way of dressing something up so people can't compare so easily.

HP/PS doesn't count. Torque and where it is delivered counts.
    A side-valve engine with an uncomplicated governor system and simple carb can achieve high HP figure but will die away in heavy Irish grass.

HP/PS doesn't count. Torque and where it is delivered counts.
    A side-valve engine with an uncomplicated governor system and simple carb can achieve high HP figure but will die away in heavy Irish grass.

I agree but they don't give a torque figure either. HP figures were always a good guide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

If you saw the torque curves for for B&S classic and B&S Quantum engines you wouldn't say HP is a good guide.

• Advertisement

If you saw the torque curves for for B&S classic and B&S Quantum engines you wouldn't say HP is a good guide.

The point is that we have gone from some guide to no guide

Advertisement