Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

When you have been in the position where a Customer is telling you that the 6hp B&S quantum piece of **** hardware store lawnmower is better than the 4.5hp ohv kawasaki engined high end lawnmower you'd think differently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

If you saw the torque curves for for B&S classic and B&S Quantum engines you wouldn't say HP is a good guide.

which is better classic or quantum?

which is better classic or quantum?

The latter. They used to make another one called a vanguard which was as good as the japanese stuff but it had hot starting problems.

I have an old lawnmower that I was going to give my brother for cutting his lawn (only 15m x 8m) I cleaned the carb and changed the oil and filters and the engine is sound. The drive is shot though.

I was wondering about taking the whole drive out. Would this make the mower easier to push or will the mower move at all. Its a chain drive and the power is transferred from the engine by a belt. Should I get into it at all. its a small lawn. definitely not worth spending money fixing the drive

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

Hi everyone,

Trying to dismantle an old Ransomes but having a bit of bother. It's a BSA F12 engine. Anyone know how I remove the two clutches(?) and the flywheel on the other side of the engine? Do I need the opposite of a pullers?

Also, how do I undo the gears that drive the chains on the left side? Tried heat, diesel etc. Are they a reverse thread? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭amerie2010

I hope someone with some knowledge about lawnmowers can advise me on a petrol lawnmower to buy? I've a decent sized garden, living in an estate I'm looking to spend roughly under €200? Have no idea as to where to start with makes, models etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sneachtafear

I am looking to buy my first ride on mower. I have a budget of 1500-3500 in mind. The garden is 1 acre with a gentle enough slope on one side. I have absolutely no knowledge of ride ons. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Posted this 4 months ago.....Anyone know of a decent lawnmower to buy at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Posted this 4 months ago.....Anyone know of a decent lawnmower to buy at the moment?

I also am in the market, was going for a Honda 2417 @ €4200 but seen today the Husqvarna TC 342 @ €3800. The Husky looks like a very high spec machine, 42 inch, 22HP! and the same basics as the Honda all for 400, maybe 500 less.

I know Honda has the name for ride on's but can anyone in the trade offer advice which to go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

I am looking at buying a lawnmower for our new home. Our lawn is about 0.5 acres with minimal obstacles. I would be willing to spend about 500 euro and I saw a couple of models in Cork city yesterday 'Gardencare LM51SP power-drive lawnmower' or a 'Viking MB448 TX- 4 series 18″'. I know very little about lawnmowers and am looking for people's opinions? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

go for the viking its a good mower viking is part of the stihl group

• Advertisement

jacob2 wrote: »
    go for the viking its a good mower viking is part of the stihl group
    I assume 48 in 448 stands for 48cm i.e. 19 inch cut. .5 acres no thank you.
    You need a 21 or 22 incher for that with good ball bearing large wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Rover are a superb job. Buy once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 snowy99

Did anyone ever have any problems with Viking ride on mower. Have an mt 6112zl 43" cut 23hp mower. It is leaving a mane of grass when mowing around a curve or shrub bed and especially if grass is heavy. Have tried new blades, adjusting deck, upping the mower revs, and just fitted it with new high lift blades as recommended by Viking. No better and all at my expense. The mower is giving bother from it was 5 mths old.

Anyone have a similar experience

snowy99 wrote: »
    Did anyone ever have any problems with Viking ride on mower. Have an mt 6112zl 43" cut 23hp mower. It is leaving a mane of grass when mowing around a curve or shrub bed and especially if grass is heavy. Have tried new blades, adjusting deck, upping the mower revs, and just fitted it with new high lift blades as recommended by Viking. No better and all at my expense. The mower is giving bother from it was 5 mths old.

Anyone have a similar experience

How is the tyre pressure. soft tyres on one side can leave an un-even cut

• Registered Users Posts: 2 snowy99

How is the tyre pressure. soft tyres on one side can leave an un-even cut

Tyre pressures checked regularly

Is there some sort of guarantee with the mower. If it was giving me this much trouble I would be bringing it back and saying I want it fixed or replaced. Usually dealers will try to fix the problem 1st and then if they cant they replace it. I had a mower once where the drive gave trouble regularly. The dealer did a repair twice but the same problem occurred. Then hey replaced the whole drive

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

http://www.clarkemachinery.ie/shop/honda-grass-care/hrg536-vye-walk-behind/1228_p.aspx

Anyone any experience with that model? I see prices online of €649 so seems to be keenly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I assume 48 in 448 stands for 48cm i.e. 19 inch cut. .5 acres no thank you.
    You need a 21 or 22 incher for that with good ball bearing large wheels.

http://www.clarkemachinery.ie/shop/honda-grass-care/hrg536-vye-walk-behind/1228_p.aspx

Would this suit at €649? I also have about a half an acre.

Lemlin wrote: »

Generally, I'd default recommend any Honda which doesn't have a plastic deck as long as money doesn't come in to the equation. It is 21" with steel deck, variable speed and 84 litre grass collector. It will be as quick as you could hope for in a walk-behind for that area. 1/2 acre will still take some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Lemlin wrote: »

The Izy is Honda's budget range but they are being used a lot by contractors. I have one & it's brilliant. You can easily increase the revs & mine goes like a rocket. That price looks very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Half acre you definitely justify a ride on. Contractor is good value for job like this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

I recently bought a house, finished the renovation on the inside and now it is time to look into a bit of gardening. I'm looking for an advice at to what lawn mower I should buy. The lawn is not particularly big - maybe 100 sq meters front and back combined and an 18" pushed or self propelled one would do me fine or so I think. I do not want to spend more than 250 euros as m pockets are empty as it is and there are other things around the house that need mending and buying tools for. I started off looking at whats on offer in Aldi and foind this lawn mower: https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-19-mar/products-detail-page/ps/p/self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower/. I know from asking people around that Aldi/Lidl gardening tools get generally good opinions and for that reason would considered the one that they will have on sale from tomorrow. However as I'm completely new to the gardening as such and have no experience as to what type of gear and makes I should be getting. I would appreciate any comments/advice that ye can give me.
    Thanks.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

16 or 18 inch petrol walkbehind without self-drive should be adequate for that size of lawn and without self-drive there is more budget left for a better quality of engine and ball bearing wheels. A walk behind cylinder mower could even do that size of mower.

16 or 18 inch petrol walkbehind without self-drive should be adequate for that size of lawn and without self-drive there is more budget left for a better quality of engine and ball bearing wheels. A walk behind cylinder mower could even do that size of mower.

Thanks for a comment. Any particular mower makes that I should be looking at or ones that I should be avoiding at all cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I got that Aldi one last year and its grand. Not the lightest, but if you've got a big open lawn that's not going to be a problem. It's well built and has a B&S engine so getting spares should be easy enough.

walus wrote: »
    Thanks for a comment. Any particular mower makes that I should be looking at or ones that I should be avoiding at all cost?
    anything with a briggs and stratton engine. you won't get a japanese engine at that price so better off going with a B&S engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

What is the likelihood of getting a self-drive lawnmower with a B&S engine for as good a price as the ALDI one?

I'm just curious as to what the alternatives are to the ALDI one before I pull the trigger.

What is the likelihood of getting a self-drive lawnmower with a B&S engine for as good a price as the ALDI one?

I'm just curious as to what the alternatives are to the ALDI one before I pull the trigger.

I'd say slim. I've called a few gardening places and the best you can get is 250 for a push one and 350 for self propelled. Aldi's price is by far the lowest for the given spec. I'm not talking about value for money here.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Picked up one of the Aldi mowers just now, sold out in a couple of places in cork already. Looks decent enough, will give it a trial run in the morning - weather depending

• Advertisement

That's a bummer. I was planning on getting to my local Aldi in the evening as have no means to get our of work now. It seems like these are selling out very quick...

Advertisement