Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

As expected I missed out on the Aldi lawn mower deal and am looking towards other alternatives. I found this Viking MB 248 push one that seems like a decent enough mower - priced at 300. Anyone has any experience with Viking mowers? Thanks.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

viking is a very good mower well made better than the aldi mower there made in austria viking is part of the stihl group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

woodies is doing a selfpropelled mower for 199 euro has a briggs and stratton 140 cc engine 46 cm blade

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

Hi Guys and Gals

Anyone out there know where I can get a "Great Dane" ride-on mower serviced in the Castletownbere area?
    Greatful for any help that can be offered.

Regards

Jonti

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Jonti wrote: »
    Hi Guys and Gals

Anyone out there know where I can get a "Great Dane" ride-on mower serviced in the Castletownbere area?
    Greatful for any help that can be offered.

Regards

Jonti

Jonti,

Are you able to transport the mower?

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Jonti,

Are you able to transport the mower?

M.

unfortunately no.

Jonti wrote: »
    unfortunately no.

Jonti, pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

jacob2 wrote: »
    viking is a very good mower well made better than the aldi mower there made in austria viking is part of the stihl group
    Yeah, have a small Viking push mower for doing the patches where the ride on is too large and it's grand, very reliable.

Have had some issues with the B&S engine in my Viking T6112c ride on however. But the mower/cutting deck itself is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

jacob2 wrote: »
    woodies is doing a selfpropelled mower for 199 euro has a briggs and stratton 140 cc engine 46 cm blade

My local repairer has about six of those in his yard that he can't repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ferger1

Anyone have a Simplicity Regent ride on, was looking at one the weekend, 22hp and 42" deck (3,500 euro).

Are they a good make, any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Ended up buying a Weibang WB454HB at 250 euros. Seems like a solid enough machine. Cut a lawn on Saturday - it needed it badly.
    Interestingly they are one of a very few chinese makes that do not pretend not to be chinese.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

My trusty Honda HRB 475 from 1994 started playing up this weekend. The clutch on the blades started slipping and I don't think it's worth throwing any money into it.

It probably only got a couple of services and one pull cord in all that time so it's been amazingly reliable. But it's time to invest again.

The main question I have is about the newer Honda mowers. Are they as reliable?

I Was looking online at the likes of husqvarna,stiga and castlegarden but it's so hard to know what's good and what's not.

Stoolbend wrote: »
    My trusty Honda HRB 475 from 1994 started playing up this weekend. The clutch on the blades started slipping and I don't think it's worth throwing any money into it.

It probably only got a couple of services and one pull cord in all that time so it's been amazingly reliable. But it's time to invest again.

The main question I have is about the newer Honda mowers. Are they as reliable?

I Was looking online at the likes of husqvarna,stiga and castlegarden but it's so hard to know what's good and what's not.

Yes. The new Hondas aren't as good as they were but they are still way better than anything else. The blade clutch may be easy to cure. Probably the cable or a spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Whats the cheapest you'd get a new Honda for?

Yours is only 20 years old. You should get another 10 years out of it. Now is the worse time to buy.

It seems that a small drop of oil was leaking onto the clutch so I assume it's just worn out.

The nuts set in the plastic deck are spinning so I can't even dismantle it.

I might leave it in somewhere that'd be used to Honda mowers and see what they say.

I do 2 lawns every week during the summer with it. About 2 hours of cutting so if it's not worth fixing I'll have to get something reliable.

Discodog wrote: »
    Yes. The new Hondas aren't as good as they were but they are still way better than anything else. The blade clutch may be easy to cure. Probably the cable or a spring.

+1 I agree with discodog, I have a 14 yr old honda and a 4 year old honda both exactly the same model but the older one is smoother, however like disco said they're still better than most other engines.

It might be worth getting your machine serviced and repaired

It seems that a small drop of oil was leaking onto the clutch so I assume it's just worn out.

The nuts set in the plastic deck are spinning so I can't even dismantle it.

I might leave it in somewhere that'd be used to Honda mowers and see what they say.

I do 2 lawns every week during the summer with it. About 2 hours of cutting so if it's not worth fixing I'll have to get something reliable.

A complete replacement blade clutch is around €60.

I was just told yesterday that the clutch could cost €200.

Do you repair lawnmowers?

Only my own. Here's the clutch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-HRB-536-476-475-Blade-Clutch-Assembly-P-N-75160-VE1-R4O-/271438901971

Email them with your serial number to check that it's the right one. Your local Honda dealer may be able to supply it a little cheaper.

• Advertisement

I know a big place near me charges €45 - €50/hr labour. Maybe that's why its so expensive. If you could do it yourself or get someone who is doing it out of their shed

I know a big place near me charges €45 - €50/hr labour. Maybe that's why its so expensive. If you could do it yourself or get someone who is doing it out of their shed

A blade clutch should be easy to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Easypeasey

Hi

I'm clueless when comes to lawn mowers, I live in suburbs in Dublin, not huge area of grass to be maintained. What would you recommend? Electric power wise? I see there is 1800W Electric Lawnmower on sale in Lidl next week for 109EUR, worthwhile purchase?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Eimear

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Easypeasey

Hi

I'm clueless when comes to lawn mowers, I live in suburbs in Dublin, not huge area of grass to be maintained. What would you recommend? Electric power wise? I see there is 1800W Electric Lawnmower on sale in Lidl next week for 109EUR, worthwhile purchase?

Thanks in advance for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Anyone ever heard of Lyster Lawnmowers?

Local shop is recommending a Lyster mower for €650. The spec is
    22" Alloy deck
    B&S 675EX engine,
    Self Propelled, Variable speed
    single lever height adjustment,
    2 in 1 (mulch or collect)

This is the machine. Can't find much info on it online.

I have approx. 1400sqm to cut. I was hoping to get a ride on but unfortunately an unexpected car has blown my lawnmower budget!

Would the above machine be up to the task and is it ok for the price?

Thanks for the feedback.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

Lyster is the name of the distributor, not the lawnmower.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Lyster is the name of the distributor, not the lawnmower.

The mower in the shop had Lyster written across the front of it and on the bag! From doing a bit more googling I found this which looks the same (except colour) so I gather that Lysters are probably buying them in from China and branding them Lyster and selling them on.

Would these be legit B&S engines or would they be fakes and is there any way of telling?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

So I picked up a new Gardencare self-propelled mower today (IP68 OHV [163cc] engine). It's the keystart LM51SPWE model.

The mower started fine this morning after a couple of tries, when I bought it from the distributor (brand new). I brought it home and after about 10 tries, it started up and I pulled the lever to let the mower propel itself. It ran for about 15 feet and then cut out.

Since then I can't for the life of me get the thing to start.

I've been through the troubleshooter in the back of the manual with no joy.

I've been trying to start it as follows:

1. In the choke position
    2. Pulling up the handle
    3. Turning the key to the on position and waiting a second or two
    4. Turning the key to the start position

At this point, I can hear the engine trying, but it's as if the engine doesn't quite catch.

Some mowers seem to have a button to help move fuel along but this mower doesn't appear to have one unless I'm missing something

Any thoughts or advice?

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So I picked up a new Gardencare self-propelled mower today (IP68 OHV [163cc] engine). It's the keystart LM51SPWE model.

The mower started fine this morning after a couple of tries, when I bought it from the distributor (brand new). I brought it home and after about 10 tries, it started up and I pulled the lever to let the mower propel itself. It ran for about 15 feet and then cut out.

Since then I can't for the life of me get the thing to start.

I've been through the troubleshooter in the back of the manual with no joy.

I've been trying to start it as follows:

1. In the choke position
    2. Pulling up the handle
    3. Turning the key to the on position and waiting a second or two
    4. Turning the key to the start position

At this point, I can hear the engine trying, but it's as if the engine doesn't quite catch.

Some mowers seem to have a button to help move fuel along but this mower doesn't appear to have one unless I'm missing something

Any thoughts or advice?

Just the very first thing to check although it shouldn't have run off fifteen minutes, is there a tap on the fuel line? And did you fill the tank up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Just the very first thing to check although it shouldn't have run off fifteen minutes, is there a tap on the fuel line? And did you fill the tank up?

Thanks.
    Tank is definitely full (of petrol, not diesel :)). No idea if there's a tap on the fuel line, wouldn't know where to look and the damn manual is useless... :o

Advertisement