Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

tombrown wrote: »
    Definitely electrical. It continues after I stop the engine, when the ignition is still on
    Maybe low oil buzzer, have you checked the oil level?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Maybe low oil buzzer, have you checked the oil level?
    Ahha - will check tonight, Thank you

It was serviced in March, so would be annoyed, if not surprised, if that was the case

Ahha - will check tonight, Thank you

It was serviced in March, so would be annoyed, if not surprised, if that was the case

Nope - Oil on the full mark; started up the mower today & no beep at all. I'll keep an eye on it

BTW - do you know where I can get a user manual for this. I did search, but only found sites that charged $40 to get a copy. I am sure I downloaded it in the past, but cant find it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

SCOL wrote: »
    I have lots of weeds in my garden had anyone tried d50 ? or can anyone recomment anything else to use. It's a big lawn which originally was a field I just
    started to make a lawn of of it this year. I bought a 15Kg bag of weed and feed
    and it only covered a small sention of the lawn and there is still alot of weeds.

I'm thinking of some sort of a liquid treatement might be better, quicker to apply and cheaper to buy and better coverage.

Not used D50 myself, but an agricultural contractor did recommend it to me as lawn weed killer.
    Also on here lots of people recommend regular cutting; grass thrives on it, weeds don't like it.

John

Nope - Oil on the full mark; started up the mower today & no beep at all. I'll keep an eye on it

BTW - do you know where I can get a user manual for this. I did search, but only found sites that charged $40 to get a copy. I am sure I downloaded it in the past, but cant find it now.
    Castelgarden should have downloadable manuals on their site.

• Advertisement

Castelgarden should have downloadable manuals on their site.
    I think that is where I got it form before, but it doesnt seem to be there anymore. Its the TCR 102 Hydro (2005) and I just cant find it. When I search on Google I get a number of hits, but they all want $50 for it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Has anybody got a Castlegarden xd 190 hd? Thinking of buying one and looking for advice beforehand- any help would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭creedp

The drive belt on my Honda HF2417 is badly cracked/perished. I was thinking of replacing it myself to save the hassle of getting mower to a repair shop. I was wondering if it was possible to replace belt by just removing the deck and the brake lever or is it necessary to remove the pulleys also? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sherry71

Hi,

I need a gearbox for a Harry lawnmower. Someone has said the Harry is discontinued?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Pious14 wrote: »
    Has anybody got a Castlegarden xd 190 hd? Thinking of buying one and looking for advice beforehand- any help would be appreciated

I was looking at buying the same model as you but for an extra €100-200 I'm probably going to get the ptx200hd twin cylinder 22hp. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I got this G-MACH petrol lawnmower (40cm, 139cc) in Woodies a few months ago. The engine works fine but the supplied net-type grass collector holding 40 litres is almost useless as the capacity is so small it needs emptying every few minutes.

Does anyone know if larger-sized, perhaps generic, grass collectors, that might be fitted instead, can be got anywhere ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Ernest wrote: »
    I got this G-MACH petrol lawnmower (40cm, 139cc) in Woodies a few months ago. The engine works fine but the supplied net-type grass collector holding 40 litres is almost useless as the capacity is so small it needs emptying every few minutes.

Does anyone know if larger-sized, perhaps generic, grass collectors, that might be fitted instead, can be got anywhere ??

That grass bag is about the right size for that size mower, if you need a bigger bag get a bigger mower, you'll also find that if you did manage to get a larger bag it could cause the mower to top up at the front with the heavier weight of grass.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    That grass bag is about the right size for that size mower, If you need a bigger bag get a bigger mower, you'll also find that if you did manage to get a larger bag it could cause the mower to top up at the front with the heavier weight of grass.

Presumably that's what the manufacturers think - I disagree. It took me three full grass collection nets to cut the grass in my small front garden (where the grass was not particularly long). Previously I had a somewhat similar-sized petrol mower which had a hard shell grass collector which had a much larger capacity.

"If you need a bigger bag, get a bigger mower" - not helpful.

Presumably that's what the manufacturers think - I disagree. It took me three full grass collection nets to cut the grass in my small front garden (where the grass was not particularly long). Previously I had a somewhat similar-sized petrol mower which had a hard shell grass collector which had a much larger capacity.

Lol you may disagree but you'll be wrong, I have a 60+ kg mower and the 70-80 grass bag when absolutely full makes the front light.

Perfectly helpful comment if you aren't happy about the size of the bag another/bigger mower is the only
    Option.

I emptied over 20 grass bags today, didn't bother me one little bit.

How big is the lawn. Make sure the grass collector is clean. Make sure the blades are sharp as this chops up the grass finer and it compacts better in the bag.

Cut the lawn every four - five days and you will fly around it. Also try and pick the driest time poosible

Returning to my original point, does anyone know if larger-sized, perhaps generic, grass collectors can be obtained anywhere?
    Alternatively can replacement grass collectors (as in spare parts) be obtained anywhere?. Instead of a larger grass collector, I could then replace the full grass collector with a second, or even third, grass collector of 40 Litres, so as not to have to interrupt grass cutting every few minutes to empty the single grass collector supplied.
    I don't know if these net-type grass collectors come in standard sizes (standard widths.) I cannot find a website for G-MACH - or at least not for the G-MACH that supplies Woodies with petrol lawn mowers.

Returning to my original point, does anyone know if larger-sized, perhaps generic, grass collectors can be obtained anywhere?
    Alternatively can replacement grass collectors (as in spare parts) be obtained anywhere?. Instead of a larger grass collector, I could then replace the full grass collector with a second, or even third, grass collector of 40 Litres, so as not to have to interrupt grass cutting every few minutes to empty the single grass collector supplied.
    I don't know if these net-type grass collectors come in standard sizes (standard widths.) I cannot find a website for G-MACH - or at least not for the G-MACH that supplies Woodies with petrol lawn mowers.

No
    No
    You won't find a website for g Mach or any of the other cheap supermarket mowers.
    Just have a larger recipticle nearby to chuck the grass in either a large tubtrug or wheelbarrow if it bothers you that much or like suresanders said cut the grass more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Hi folks, I'm new on this forum. I wonder would anyone be able to help me with a problem with a Honda HRX 537 mower. The problem is that the grass collector, (frame and bag), was stolen. I checked with two dealers for a replacement and each of them have quoted me well over €200.
    My question is: are there any spurious replacements available or would there be any second-hand market for this type of thing.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm new on this forum. I wonder would anyone be able to help me with a problem with a Honda HRX 537 mower. The problem is that the grass collector, (frame and bag), was stolen. I checked with two dealers for a replacement and each of them have quoted me well over €200.
    My question is: are there any spurious replacements available or would there be any second-hand market for this type of thing.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions.

You might find that the Honda clone brands such as kaaz, asuka etc bags might fit.

I had this recently with my hinda pro mower I was quoted a similar price for mine so got a quote for a kaaz one it worked out at about €60-€70 cheaper iirc but I will end up going with the Honda one instead because that's just what I'm like. Try searching for prices on UK honda spares sites too.

Lots of the plastic deck mowers were scrapped because of the decks cracking. Worth talking to a mower repair shop and seeing if they have any old ones.

• Advertisement

creedp wrote: »
    The drive belt on my Honda HF2417 is badly cracked/perished. I was thinking of replacing it myself to save the hassle of getting mower to a repair shop. I was wondering if it was possible to replace belt by just removing the deck and the brake lever or is it necessary to remove the pulleys also? Thanks

I rang a Honda dealer to price the belt and I was told they would ring back the following day. When they did they advised they had ordered the part and would be in store the following day priced at E95. I have dealt with them on a number of occasions so I decided to go ahead even though I thought it was expensive. When I collected it the price was E117, i.e. Incl VAT. Does anyone think this is very expensive for a drive belt? I was advised its a genuine Honda belt which will last at least 4 seasons compared to a spurious one which they could supply for E35 but which would only last a year. Is this a reasonable view?

Anyway I fitted this evening but when I started the mower I got a smell of burning rubber which was coming from the belt rubbing off the belt retainer pin on the tensioner pulley. When I examined more closely the pin had been worn significantly by the previous belt rubbing off it. Is this the norm or is there something I can do to to adjust it? Will this friction cause premature wear on the belt? Sorry for all the questions but I'm floundering around a bit in the dark here and would appreciate any advice.

Anyway I fitted this evening but when I started the mower I got a smell of burning rubber which was coming from the belt rubbing off the belt retainer pin on the tensioner pulley. When I examined more closely the pin had been worn significantly by the previous belt rubbing off it. Is this the norm or is there something I can do to to adjust it?
    Why is the belt touching the retaining pin?
    Can you post pics of the setup so you might get some better advice?
    I found that one of the idler pulleys on my JD had gone bad and wrecked the belt, so worth checking that the pulleys are all good and running freely and not seized.

Why is the belt touching the retaining pin?
    Can you post pics of the setup so you might get some better advice?
    I found that one of the idler pulleys on my JD had gone bad and wrecked the belt, so worth checking that the pulleys are all good and running freely and not seized.

Thanks. I should have taken pictures before I replaced the deck!! When I was checking the belt after I smelt the burning rubber, I tried to adjust the set up to stop the belt hitting the retainer pin but nothing seem to work. I removed all the pulleys when replacing the belt and they all span freely so don't think there's a problem with them.

It must have been happening for some time with the previous belt also because there is a groove in the pin where the belt was rubbing off it. It was a second hand mower when I bought 3 years so maybe its not too detrimental to the belt life although the belt is in a bad state, its amazing how it lasted so long. Presumably this is not part of the mower design?

When I get a chance I will remove the deck again and try and get a few photos.

Thanks. I should have taken pictures before I replaced the deck!! When I was checking the belt after I smelt the burning rubber, I tried to adjust the set up to stop the belt hitting the retainer pin but nothing seem to work. I removed all the pulleys when replacing the belt and they all span freely so don't think there's a problem with them.

It must have been happening for some time with the previous belt also because there is a groove in the pin where the belt was rubbing off it. It was a second hand mower when I bought 3 years so maybe its not too detrimental to the belt life although the belt is in a bad state, its amazing how it lasted so long. Presumably this is not part of the mower design?

When I get a chance I will remove the deck again and try and get a few photos.
    Sounds like something is not right, usually the belt should not contact any part that doesn't have a bearing in it, or belt life will be shortened considerably.

Sounds like something is not right, usually the belt should not contact any part that doesn't have a bearing in it, or belt life will be shortened considerably.

Removed the deck and took some photos. See the wear on the retaining pin. I pushed the pin out slightly and now there is little or no contact with pin. Will see how it gets on. Also see photo of old belt which was rather worse for wear!

Removed the deck and took some photos. See the wear on the retaining pin. I pushed the pin out slightly and now there is little or no contact with pin. Will see how it gets on. Also see photo of old belt which was rather worse for wear!

Photo of belt didn't attach

356584.jpg
    There is two things that don't look right to me there, the bolt with the rubber grommet circled in yellow and the angle of the tensioner idler.
    If it was more towards 3 Oclock rather than 1 Oclock the pin would be out of the angle of drive.

356584.jpg
    There is two things that don't look right to me there, the bolt with the rubber grommet circled in yellow and the angle of the tensioner idler.
    If it was more towards 3 Oclock rather than 1 Oclock the pin would be out of the angle of drive.

The bolt with the rubber grommet is not interfering with the drive belt - its about 5cms above the belt. As regards whether the tensioner pulley is at 1 or 3 o'clock can you clarify where is 12 0'clock? E.g. Should the tensioner pulley be at 1 0'clock to the engine drive pulley? In any case am I correct I thinking that the angle of the tensioner pulley is a function of the length of the drive belt and the shorter the belt the closer the pulley would be to 1'o clock? As the belt is a genuine Honda part for the mower what else could be done to change tho angle?

Finally appreciate any view on the purpose of the container on top of the rear axle?

Appreciate the assistance.

The container is the petrol tank, There should be a fuel pump to pump it to the engine.
    The bolt highlighted doesn't look right is it vertical in the deck? Why is the grommet split? Have a look at what it does on the other side.
    The belt also looks twisted.
    My references are in relation to the photo as it is so 12 oclock is ^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Looking for some purchasing advise on a new mower.

I have a largish garden .. approx .75 acres, not really suitable for a ride on, plenty of tight spots and awkward bits.

I have a Husqvarna mower which I was given a few years back and it has done the job pretty well to date but now it's more or less knackered. It was fairly old when I got it and despite having a few people look at it the engine is kaput and the rest of it has seen better days.

It is a self propelled mulching mower and I am looking to replace it with something similar.

Has anyone any advice as to where to start looking .. or what I should be considering. Ideally I'd like something that wouldn't have a problem with cutting wet grass, as I find if I were to cut the grass according to the weather it means that I end up having long grass half the time !

Advertisement