Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

I have lots of weeds in my garden as it was a just a field for years I put up a fence around it and started to cut it with the mower.
    Is there any sprays out there that can be used ? I did use two large bags of weed/moss killer pellets last year it covered half the lawn and it did kill off some of the weeds. I have noticed alot of buttercups coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

im looking for a 12v charger for my husquvarna 2417. has anyone got one secondhand? they are 49 euros on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

:o:o
    sheelbee wrote: »
    As someone who likes to shop local and keep the business in the community I was talking to a neighbour last September and he was thinking of buying a new ride on mower, I suggested our local man, but he thought he was too dear and could get the s same machine in Newry for €300 less. A couple of weeks later I met my neighbour in our local and asked him "How he got on" ? Don't talk to me about that "he says" What followed was a comedy....My man decided to go to Newry, but realised he had no trailer or tow bar, not to be daunted he borrowed his brothers car and a friends trailer and headed North. When he got to Newry the machine he wanted was out of stock but he could have a more expensive model, an extra €250. Happy enough with his purchase he loaded up and headed South for the Border. just after Dundalk he heard a loud bang and the car went into a mad snaking motion, pulling into the hard shoulder he realised he had got a tyre blown on the trailer, but by the time he stopped the tyre was in shreds and no spare. After many phone calls he got a local tyre man to sort it out with a new tyre and "call out" €150..Finally back on the road after 3 hours he made his way into our town and straight into a garda checkpoint. No lights, no indicators....Great. Eventually got home and unloaded his new "Hi Spec" machine...No start !!
    Phone Mr. Newry "Must be the battery" Jump leads out. no start you guessed it phone Mr. Newry "Can you get it back to us" ? WTF can you not call to me ? We can call the next time we are in your area. What about my warranty ? "If you bring it back there is no problem with warranty. How long will it take ? "If we can fix it on the spot [grand] otherwise you will have to leave it with us........With his tail firmly between his legs he went to our local man who sorted him out for €75.... ...Not everyday you save €300:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well in the interests of balance I know several people who have bought in the North who all had the machine delivered & saved a lot more than €300.

Fair comment, Personally I would rather buy from my local dealer [providing he is competitive] than buying a "Pig in a bag". I appreciate some dealers expect to get a Caribbean holiday from the sale of a ride on, It is up to you the customer to negotiate a fair price.

• Advertisement

I think that it's more about the dealers getting together & negotiating a fair price from their suppliers.

I know a dealer on the border who gets a discount on their machinery to help them compete with the North.

They said they either they get a better deal or they would stop selling that brand.

I always support local except when the price difference is to big to ignore.

My neighbour has a bit over an acre of lawn and was offered this. A 2016 Snapper RXT 300 810cc V Twin Briggs engine 42" cut for €3,999.00. The equivalent John Deere is coming in at €4,350.00. What would you go for ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

So last year I bought a Gardencare self-propelled lawn mower but to be honest, I don't really have the time to spend walking behind my mower while mowing my 0.75 acre lawn, so I'm looking for a ride-on.

I need something in the €2,500 or less bracket
    Large collector
    Largest cutting deck possible

Other than that can anyone tell me if there are any disadvantages to buying a hydrostatic? What are the pros and cons over a regular gear shift?

I've seen Husq, Lawnking, Castlegarden models but can anyone recommend a particular model? I'm based near Clonmel, if that helps. Would prefer to by fairly local if possible but equally, don't want to be robbed...

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So last year I bought a Gardencare self-propelled lawn mower but to be honest, I don't really have the time to spend walking behind my mower while mowing my 0.75 acre lawn, so I'm looking for a ride-on.

Large collector

Other than that can anyone tell me if there are any disadvantages to buying a hydrostatic? What are the pros and cons over a regular gear shift?

I've seen Husq, Lawnking, Castlegarden models but can anyone recommend a particular model? I'm based near Clonmel, if that helps. Would prefer to by fairly local if possible but equally, don't want to be robbed...

Cheers.

I've been looking myself and this looks decent, although a tiny bit above €2500:

http://macplantsales.com/castelgarden-xdc-170hd-tractor-mower/

Should have a 2 year warranty.....Made in China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

Lads can someone please help me pick a lawnmower for a terraced house, end house so nice sized small garden if you know what i mean. Best selection where i am seems to be in woodies, budget about €200. This is what they have, help me decide please

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/category/lawnmowers/4.30

Before you buy ask do they carry spare parts ?? Do they service ?? Do they carry out warranty work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Ripcord/starter string/pull cord snapped on me today. I was able to work off what was left of it, but it's pretty awkward. String now no longer retreats automatically, I have to manually wind it back in so it can take 10 or 15 mins to start the mower.

Where can I get this fixed, would any garden centre have one or will I have to go back to the manufacturer?

You will get the cord in any garden machinery shop, possibly in a diy.

It's a quick fix. Look on YouTube & you will find lots of videos showing you how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

SO I saw a Mountfield 1430H tractor mower online but can't seem to find any reviews. Youtube vides of same are not great. Anyone got an opinion on these?

Starting Method Key Start
    Drive Hydrostatic
    Collector 240 Litres
    Blade Engagement Electronic / Switch
    Engine Type Mountfield (GGP)
    Engine Capacity 432cc
    Net Power Output 7.5kW @ 2800rpm
    Maximum Speed 9.7km/hr
    Fuel Tank Size 6.0 Litre
    Cutting Width 84cm / 33"
    Cutting Heights 25-80mm (7 Positions)
    Lawn Size Between 1.5 to 2 acres
    Dimentions Length 229cm Width 89cm

Thoughts?

I would be concerned that it's a Mountfield engine rather than a Briggs & Stratton. Maybe it's just rebadged. Can you post a link ?

It's been replaced by this - very cheap.

http://www.gosfordequipment.com/ourshop/prod_2574112-Mountfield-1530H-84cm-33-twin-blade-cutting-deck-Hydrostatic-Drive.html

Edit. They are rebadged Castell. Could be a good buy. Just check where your nearest dealer is for parts, servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

I used to be a loyal Briggs and Stratton customer, but be warned that the newer "Briggs and Stratton" are not anywhere near the quality they once were, and can give a lot of bother. It's a shame really to see them go down hill and are now living off an old reputation. Honda is expensive, but currently much better designed and built that any of the new briggs and stratton stuff, and in recent years, I wouldn't bother with anything else at the moment.

sheelbee wrote: »
    Should have a 2 year warranty.....Made in China.

My seller reckons the 170 isn't made in China. He said Italy. The 140 is made in China he reckons and that's why he wouldn't go for it.

I have been told that there is a factory in China that makes Honda mower engines. There is no reason why a Chinese built engine shouldn't be as good. iPhones are made in China :pac:

Briggs make a lot of different engines, can you be more specific ? You would find it hard to beat the new 875 Series or the DOV great engines, On the other hand you can get spares anywhere for them. Honda parts are ridiculously expensive when you can get them.

• Advertisement

Mountfield GGP Engine....Made in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lawntractor

Don't be one bit concerned about the GGP engine we sell mowers for a living and it's way better than the Briggs offering, trust me its 100% non of the poor running problems that we have with Briggs

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pollocks

Large collector

Cheers.

Have you tried Tom Tennyson in Piltown ? Has new and good quality second hand stuff I've always found him reasonable

I posted a query here if anyone can respond:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057575595/1/#post99140920

Have been searching for a mower and have narrowed it down to these two. The main specs are:

Castelgarden XDC 170 HD - 38 inch cutting rack,17 brake horse power, 240 litre capacity - €2720 with mulcher.

Viking MT 5112 - 43 inch cutting rack, 23 bhp, 350 litre capacity - €3350.

Being honest my initial budget was €2500 so I'm already above it. The thing is though the Viking is supposedly a great price.

I even went into one local retailer and they couldn't believe I had somewhere else willing to sell it at that price.

That said, it's just short of one thousand over my initial budget and I'll be stretching same to get it.

I have about a half acre to three quarters of an acre to cut. Some of it is on a slight hill.

Would be interested in hearing opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Obviously you dont read your Briggs and Dtratton service bulletins or attend their seminars. My 12 year old is a B/S expert........But then they have been around since 1908....Must try harder !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Lemlin wrote: »
    I posted a query here if anyone can respond:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057575595/1/#post99140920

Have been searching for a mower and have narrowed it down to these two. The main specs are:

Castelgarden XDC 170 HD - 38 inch cutting rack,17 brake horse power, 240 litre capacity - €2720 with mulcher.

Viking MT 5112 - 43 inch cutting rack, 23 bhp, 350 litre capacity - €3350.

Being honest my initial budget was €2500 so I'm already above it. The thing is though the Viking is supposedly a great price.

I even went into one local retailer and they couldn't believe I had somewhere else willing to sell it at that price.

That said, it's just short of one thousand over my initial budget and I'll be stretching same to get it.

I have about a half acre to three quarters of an acre to cut. Some of it is on a slight hill.

Would be interested in hearing opinions.
    Running a Viking MT 6112c myself, heading into its 4th season, 3rd full one. Good mower, fast and agile, big bag. You'll comfortably manage the garden of that size with it. Important to keep the deck clean as it can tend to clog under the centre blade if a little damp, access to cleaning isn't bad though. Mulcher works well too and is easy to slot in.
    But I did have problems with the engine after what I believe was a dodgy service at the end of second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

15W-40 oil for Briggs and Stratton?
    Any probs with this as the oil has wider temp range?

• Advertisement

Ogie84 wrote: »
    Running a Viking MT 6112c myself, heading into its 4th season, 3rd full one. Good mower, fast and agile, big bag. You'll comfortably manage the garden of that size with it. Important to keep the deck clean as it can tend to clog under the centre blade if a little damp, access to cleaning isn't bad though. Mulcher works well too and is easy to slot in.
    But I did have problems with the engine after what I believe was a dodgy service at the end of second season.

I went for the 5112 in the end. Got it for €3400 with the mulcher.

Advertisement