Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Ogie84 wrote: »
    Running a Viking MT 6112c myself, ........

I assume your mower had 3 blades. The new ones including the mt5112z have 2. The 2 blades are an improvment

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Needles73 wrote: »
    I assume your mower had 3 blades. The new ones including the mt5112z have 2. The 2 blades are an improvment
    Yes, third blade ahead of the main two in centre. I can see how the two would be an improvement, when the belt gets a little loose the first thing to skip is the centre blade. Only 1 cut done this year so far but it handled the heavy stuff well, blades will need to be sharpened soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you practice you can sharpen the blades without removing them with a powerfile.

Three blades are never a good idea. The left & right blades contra rotate to throw the clippings into the centre collection shute. A middle blade adds more complication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I've a ride on with a B&S 17HP Intek and it looks like there's a problem with the piston or head, it's starting to cough out a bit of oil at startup.
    Can these be rebuilt without spending crazy money or would a new engine be the best option? Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I've a ride on with a B&S 17HP Intek and it looks like there's a problem with the piston or head, it's starting to cough out a bit of oil at startup.
    Can these be rebuilt without spending crazy money or would a new engine be the best option? Thanks for any advice.

I never rebuilt any engine before I did with one of these engines, so even if I can do it, its possible.I didnt buy the parts so I haven't a clue how much it cost,had to get all the torque figures to hand, but might be easier to have a look to see if you can buy one, but really you would want to see it running because you could be getting a dud.

Oh, by the way, the reason the engine failed was that the throttle valve screws fell out and went into the cylinder.The piston crown was pot marked and the head around the valves, but the cylinder walls escaped undamaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

Total waste of time and money rebuilding....Buy a new replacement engine and bobs your up...Try Hohn Mc Kenna & Sons in Glasnevin they are the cheapest. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hatevodafone

I have a castkegarden with a 12.5 hp brigsandstratton

Its starting fine (well needs a jump), but when i rev it it revs up fine, but after about 5 seconds it stalls

I got a meter to the battery and at idle its around 16v, when i rev it, it drops to 0v and after about 5 seconds it dies

Anyone have a clue how to fix that

I have a castkegarden with a 12.5 hp brigsandstratton

Its starting fine (well needs a jump), but when i rev it it revs up fine, but after about 5 seconds it stalls

I got a meter to the battery and at idle its around 16v, when i rev it, it drops to 0v and after about 5 seconds it dies

Anyone have a clue how to fix that

For it to drop to zero suggests a short or the engine cut out cutting in. Disconnect the battery & put a load across it, like a headlamp bulb & measure the voltage. If it drops significantly then the battery is duff. See if it will run with jump leads.

If the battery is OK then it could be the alternator not charging or maybe a loose connection that separates as the engine starts. It's odd that it goes to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

My deck on my ride-on is falling apart and in need of replacement, but i've been informed that its a discontinued model and replacement decks are not available anymore...so is there anyway of fixing up an old deck? riveting, welding ??

fryup wrote: »
    My deck on my ride-on is falling apart and in need of replacement, but i've been informed that its a discontinued model and replacement decks are not available anymore...so is there anyway of fixing up an old deck? riveting, welding ??

No reason why not. Take it off, remove all the rusted metal & cut back to solid metal. Then cut & fit replacement section. A steel fabricator could do it. The only real problem is if the shaft bearings aren't solid

• Advertisement

What is the make and model?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Anyone here any experience of the Husqvarna CTH151 ? Looking into the possibility of purchasing one second hand, are they an okay entry into ride on mower ownership ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I bought a Lidl motor mower. What kind of motor oil goes into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

tampopo wrote: »
    I bought a Lidl motor mower. What kind of motor oil goes into it?

Lawnmower oil. Woodies would be your best bet on a Sunday.

dont buy.....history of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Meanwhile, back in the real world of people cutting their own garden grass, Woodies are offering this excellent petrol mower for €149.99.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/gmach-41cm-16-139cc-hand-push-petrol-lawnmower/36156/11

I bought one of these last year and it has been most reliable and is working again this spring without problems, despite being left outdoors during the winter, covered from rain. Only problem really is that the grass collector is a bit too small. It is not self-propelled which is good because I like the minimal exercise involved in using it.

I don't have a huge front or back garden and I don't cut other peoples' grass for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Working for 12 months still leaves plenty of opportunity for it to
    fall apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Woodies are offering this excellent petrol mower for €149.99.
    excellent? I think not but at that price it is worth a gamble.

Anyone here any experience of the Husqvarna CTH151 ? Looking into the possibility of purchasing one second hand, are they an okay entry into ride on mower ownership ?
    What size is the lawn?

737max wrote: »
    excellent? I think not but at that price it is worth a gamble.

B&Q have a Mountfield for a little more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Hi All,

can anyone recommend a good lawnmower, new house and garden is about 300 - 350 sq meters.
    There are so many brands I'm not sure where to start.

reading up a bit about 3 in 1 mowers and they seem to be way to go, are they any good?

budget 400 - 500 euro (hopefully on cheaper side)

Thanks,
    Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Hi All,

can anyone recommend a good lawnmower, new house and garden is about 300 - 350 sq meters.
    There are so many brands I'm not sure where to start.

reading up a bit about 3 in 1 mowers and they seem to be way to go, are they any good?

budget 400 - 500 euro (hopefully on cheaper side)

Thanks,
    Ciaran

3 in 1 mower is just another selling pitch. 1 being grass into box. 2 side discharge and 3 mulching. nothing special about the first two and what makes it a mulching mower is the blade and a plastic plug that stops grass from exiting out the rear shoot to box...the mulching blade is supposed to reduce grass lift to rear shoot in order for mulching...with a push mower and unless your grass is dry mulching is tricky....slow grass growth during warm months mid summer is fine but mulching early and late in season with grass growth spurts and some rain in between makes mulching a nightmare....any kind of mower will mulch grass mulching blade or not providing its dry and you are just trimming an half inch off the top... if you go for top brand names you will pay top dollar....or you would prob get a 22" cut pro lawn from woodies for the money you mentioned ...an extra 200 would get you a nice used castel garden Xf ride on mower...

Just bought a HARRY 21" Self propelled with Kohler 675 engine beautiful machine, collects great and has a spare mulching blade "Made in Italy"....Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Heading out to buy my first Ride On this weekend, have a budget of 2k. Been looking at Castlegardens and Cub Cadets, any advice of recommendations of good stockists in Leinster would be class.

Heading out to buy my first Ride On this weekend, have a budget of 2k. Been looking at Castlegardens and Cub Cadets, any advice of recommendations of good stockists in Leinster would be class.

as to where,dunno but no knocking from engine...fire it up, lift hood and listen to engine carefully...check deck for any repair rust etc......take your time when shopping as the engine is mucho importanto...you blow an engine in these its worth 1/3 what you paid for it at very best...

do any of you have a walk behind mower with this type of blade ??

how do you find the finished cut?? mine is poor...long light grass is brushed over rather than cut i have to go over it twice or three times, i've sharpened the blades but no improvement :confused:

i never had the same problem with a regular single blade

try Leinster garden machinery or Fairyhouse motors

do any of you have a walk behind mower with this type of blade ??

how do you find the finished cut?? mine is poor...long light grass is brushed over rather than cut i have to go over it twice or three times, i've sharpened the blades but no improvement :confused:

i never had the same problem with a regular single blade

Hmmm...you are losing revolutions per second because of the blade set up...all you can do is check that your rpm is where it should be somewhere between 2,900rpm and all the way to 3,600 depending on make and model... many mowers come out of factory given 2,600 - 2,700rpm but can easily handle 2,900 to 3,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

The blades are intended for rough work and bend back so that no damage is done to the shaft of the engine.
    works well on commercial lawnmowers and mowers with a small deck width.
    not as good with a large deck where airflow isn't ducted so well.

• Advertisement

fox0512 wrote: »
    Hmmm...you are losing revolutions per second because of the blade set up...all you can do is check that your rpm is where it should be somewhere between 2,900rpm and all the way to 3,600 depending on make and model... many mowers come out of factory given 2,600 - 2,700rpm but can easily handle 2,900 to 3,000

is it losing its HP?? it does sound slightly under-powered...is there any way i can adjust it, give it more RPM??

Advertisement