Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hawesome145

Hi all, has anybody got any experience with Hyundai Lawnmowers? Looking at the HYM51SP 20" cut, 173cc (5 hp) Hyundai Engine, Self Propelled (1speed), 70l grass bag, 4 in 1 for €369 in Chadwicks. Have found very few reviews bar on Amazon which were mostly positive and the negatives sounded mostly like the people didnt know how to operate and maintain a lawnmower. However a couple of the negatives mentioned the chute getting clogged as they felt the engine wasn't powerful enough, but surely 173cc should be powerful enough. Garden is approx 210m2 (30m x 7m) . Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 djdwainec

Could anyone point me in the direction of the correct lawnmower to purchase, we are a small senior football club with just 2 senior teams not not alot of financial backing, we don't mind whether its a ride on or push lawnmower as we are willing to put the work in to keep the pitch right, but how much roughly would i be looking at for a decent mower? We'd want to be cutting the pitch 2/3 times a week between August and May i'd imagine. Pitch is 90x78 metres

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

djdwainec wrote: »
    Could anyone point me in the direction of the correct lawnmower to purchase, we are a small senior football club with just 2 senior teams not not alot of financial backing, we don't mind whether its a ride on or push lawnmower as we are willing to put the work in to keep the pitch right, but how much roughly would i be looking at for a decent mower? We'd want to be cutting the pitch 2/3 times a week between August and May i'd imagine. Pitch is 90x78 metres

Apart from the effort involved in a self propelled mower I think with that cutting schedule it will be tough going even on a top brand small mower at 7- 900euro ish....ride on mower it your best bet if wallet allows ....2,500-3k or there abouts will buy a ride on that will serve you well if looked after.....

Hi all, has anybody got any experience with Hyundai Lawnmowers? Looking at the HYM51SP 20" cut, 173cc (5 hp) Hyundai Engine, Self Propelled (1speed), 70l grass bag, 4 in 1 for €369 in Chadwicks. Have found very few reviews bar on Amazon which were mostly positive and the negatives sounded mostly like the people didnt know how to operate and maintain a lawnmower. However a couple of the negatives mentioned the chute getting clogged as they felt the engine wasn't powerful enough, but surely 173cc should be powerful enough. Garden is approx 210m2 (30m x 7m) . Any advice appreciated.

The prob IMO with these 4 in 1 jobbies on the market is the blade is designed for bagging or mulching....that fine if your carrying an 8hp engine with a semi high lift blade...trying to mulch with a 5hp and a bag/mulch blade will be tough going... Im currently using a 22 inch zero turn with 8hp Kohler engine and it fires damp/wet grass into bag no problem...You could change blade for a high lift if available for this model...if it already has a high lift and has clogging issues then i would steer clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

fox0512 wrote: »
    The prob IMO with these 4 in 1 jobbies on the market is the blade is designed for bagging or mulching....that fine if your carrying an 8hp engine with a semi high lift blade...trying to mulch with a 5hp and a bag/mulch blade will be tough going... Im currently using a 22 inch zero turn with 8hp Kohler engine and it fires damp/wet grass into bag no problem...You could change blade for a high lift if available for this model...if it already has a high lift and has clogging issues then i would steer clear...

Strange, Sam hire are part of the Chadwicks group and dont use Hyundai in their hire fleet >>>>>????? tells you a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Cutting two or three times a week is a lot. I can't see a ride on providing a fine enough cut. Most clubs use rear roller machines as it flattens out divits. It's the roller that gives pitches their stripes. You will notice after a match on tv that they use three or four, rear roller, 21 inch pedestrian mowers - hence the big wide stripes.

If you go for roller machines then your local dealer won't stock them. You would need to buy in the North or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Our club went for one of these.

http://www.major-equipment.com/machinery/32/51/73/Rigid-Deck-Roller-Mowers/

Has the pitch in great shape. Will require a small tractor to power it however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Ogie84 wrote: »
    Our club went for one of these.

http://www.major-equipment.com/machinery/32/51/73/Rigid-Deck-Roller-Mowers/

Has the pitch in great shape. Will require a small tractor to power it however.

Good call but I hope no one would be daft enough to use it with a tractor with ordinary agricultural tyres or to lend it out to anyone for rough cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

my3cents wrote: »
    Good call but I hope no one would be daft enough to use it with a tractor with ordinary agricultural tyres or to lend it out to anyone for rough cutting.

It's hooked up to an old 40odd hp tractor with an old set of turf tyres on it. Never leaves the club grounds and wouldn't be suitable for topping/rough cutting anyway given the setup of it.
    But does a great job. Much better/cleaner cut that the old gang mower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Can anyone recommend cheap replacement rear wheels (or a fix) for McCulloch M7053D? Thanks.

It only had a rear wheel changed last August. About €45 online delivered but is there a cheap fix for these large plastic wheels when they snap at the hub or is there either a cheap generic same size wheel out there or a tougher built one?

The lawnmower suffers from a lot of turning due to a lawn with too many obstacles.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Can someone recommend a lawnmower for me please. Just bought a house and the garden is about half an acre, most of it overgrown at the minute. Can't really spend more than €400 and would prefer petrol. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

walk behind or second hand ride on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I bought a house recently and need to get a lawnmower. The rear garden is slightly sloped and not very flat and around 400 square metres with a front garden of 50 square metres.

Theres a company that do the common areas and charge 40 euro to do mine while their at it so i'm in no rush. Do lawnmowers typically go on sale in say October when they aren't going to sell so many or later in the year in preparation for new models / stock?

I'm thinking a rotary, petrol mower would suit best? As extate gardens go its big without being a very big garden so I guess I dont need to be buying anything too powerful but I dont want to spend two hours where a half hour should do either.

There's a farm backing onto the estate and it seems everyone dumps their grass over into a boundary area for some reason if that makes any difference. I even saw the company do it while he was there chatting to them so seems to not be an issue.

Thanks for any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Legally, dumping grass like that is an offence unless the landowner expressly gives permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Legally, dumping grass like that is an offence unless the landowner expressly gives permission.

And mown grass can also cause problems for animals; unfortunately I have first hand experience of this.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I bought a house recently and need to get a lawnmower. The rear garden is slightly sloped and not very flat and around 400 square metres with a front garden of 50 square metres.

Theres a company that do the common areas and charge 40 euro to do mine while their at it so i'm in no rush. Do lawnmowers typically go on sale in say October when they aren't going to sell so many or later in the year in preparation for new models / stock?

I'm thinking a rotary, petrol mower would suit best? As extate gardens go its big without being a very big garden so I guess I dont need to be buying anything too powerful but I dont want to spend two hours where a half hour should do either.

There's a farm backing onto the estate and it seems everyone dumps their grass over into a boundary area for some reason if that makes any difference. I even saw the company do it while he was there chatting to them so seems to not be an issue.

Thanks for any advice.

What's your budget? Lots of good 21 inch petrol mowers will handle 500 sq m no problem

Yeah I do find it weird. Its on the edge of a town so fairly rural. I always see people in other neighboring estates which dont border farms walking across a road to dump grass into a farmers field.

What's your budget? Lots of good 21 inch petrol mowers will handle 500 sq m no problem

Budget is as little as is necessary without causing myself a lot of extra work cutting the grass. As you can imagine having just bought a house we have bills left right and centre. I can wait to buy and pay a few more 40 euros for this season.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Budget is as little as is necessary without causing myself a lot of extra work cutting the grass. As you can imagine having just bought a house we have bills left right and centre. I can wait to buy and pay a few more 40 euros for this season.

You will get a good deal if you go into a dealer from November to January looking for a lawnmower. But then you have to factor in how many more cuts you will have to pay for. If you cut it regularly I won't be too much work

Go into your nearest delete and see what they have and then go back again in November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Just bought a second hand castlegarden self-drive mower. It has a Briggs & Stratton Quantum XLS 60 engine. Anymore know where I can get a service kit for this engine in the Dublin area?

Ardent wrote: »
    Just bought a second hand castlegarden self-drive mower. It has a Briggs & Stratton Quantum XLS 60 engine. Anymore know where I can get a service kit for this engine in the Dublin area?

Much cheaper online there are at least two online Irish suppliers one I've used is http://www.lawnmowerpartsonline.ie/shop .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I get a loud bang/backfire from my ride on engine when i switch it off, any ideas??

and now it won't start :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Out of interest, why might there be a slight smell of petrol when I turn off the ride-on? Fuel filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

fryup wrote: »
    I get a loud bang/backfire from my ride on engine when i switch it off, any ideas??

Sheared flywheel key?

If its not a sheared flywheel key then I'd be checking the valve clearance. I find you start to get a lot more backfires as the valve clearance gets out of tolerance.

Still check all the obvious things like fuel, air filter and clean the plug if you don't have a new one to try.

yop wrote: »
    Out of interest, why might there be a slight smell of petrol when I turn off the ride-on? Fuel filter?

Fuel leak somewhere most rideons these days have a fuel pump that will leave the fuel lines under slight pressure when you switch off. Maybe you are using enough fuel while its running not to have a noticeable leak?

The backfire is fuel entering the muffler when you turn engine off, this can be a fuel solenoid issue if your carb has a solenoid....you can tell by a wire leading to the end of carb... if solenoid is going bad the stem that closes off the fuel jet in carb might not be closing properly hence the backfire when engine is turned off, also a solenoid going bad may not open properly to allow fuel to jet hence hard to start....if you have backfires when engine is running then we talkin timing issues with can be sorted behind the OHV cover at front of engine....other timing issues can be caused by worn cam lobes on cam shaft but I doubt this is the prob here...

Easy way to test a solenoid it to shut fuel off to carb by fuel shut off valve or clamp line etc.....at bottom of carb remove wire connected to solenoid and remove solenoid....Clean and fuel spill!!....connect wire back to solenoid and with ignition on touch solenoid to side of engine etc....the pin should now be in the low position and must stay there...when you turn off ignition the pin will rise and hold that position...

If your carb has no solenoid (model depending) and you had no backfires small or big when engine was running then there is probs inside the carb which is prob a needle and seat issue which can be replaced at low cost.. or carb may just need a cleaning...how you will know if its a needle and seat issue is when you remove carb and take bowl off turn carb upside down...the float should be level ish to a little high....if float falls all way to bottom or dam near it then its a needle and seat you need sir...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

my3cents wrote: »
    Fuel leak somewhere most rideons these days have a fuel pump that will leave the fuel lines under slight pressure when you switch off. Maybe you are using enough fuel while its running not to have a noticeable leak?

Which ones have a pump?
    Mine, brand new castelgarden, gravity flow.

• Advertisement

Eamondomc wrote: »
    Which ones have a pump?
    Mine, brand new castelgarden, gravity flow.

What engine? Many do just look at where the fuel tank is and if its that same height or below the carb then it will have a fuel pump of some kind. If the fuel at the bottom the tank is below the level of the carb then how can it flow without a pump?

Advertisement