Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Reading this thread, loads of differing opinions and preferences.

I'm looking to buy a ride on mower for a garden of about 0.75 acres of grass. We have someone cutting it at the moment and want to cut it ourselves more regularly. Looking around the topic of brands seems to have the same type response as looking at a car, every second person recommends the opposite of the previous. Have ruled out second hand as they all seem to have been used to almost the end of their useful life and it would be a very stop gap measure to get one.

So, where are the best prices available? everything that we have looked at seems to start at about €2400-€2450 for a Castlegarden/Stiga with a Hydrostatic transmission and a mulch kit.

Am based in Limerick/East Clare.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^^

good time to buy one as its coming to the end of season, they'll be lots of shops ready to sell them off at discount prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

philstar wrote:
    good time to buy one as its coming to the end of season, they'll be lots of shops ready to sell them off at discount prices

That's what I would have thought, but it doesn't seem to be the case. If anyone knows a place that had genuine reductions I'd appreciate if you could let me know.

These are the ones that I am looking at.

2rxgpk0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    That's what I would have thought, but it doesn't seem to be the case. If anyone knows a place that had genuine reductions I'd appreciate if you could let me know.

These are the ones that I am looking at.

2rxgpk0.png
    You're better go into shops to check what discount they're willing to give. Haggle is the key word at this time of year.
    Those online prices are the same all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Anyone purchase a tractor lawnmower trailer? I see the mower I got has option for trailer so it would be handy to have one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Anyone purchase a tractor lawnmower trailer? I see the mower I got has option for trailer so it would be handy to have one

Haven't bought one in years but used loads of different ones. If I was going to buy one I'd seriously think about spending a lot of money €500+ because I know you can pull a surprisingly large heavily loaded trailer with a lawn tractor. I've had loads of over a tonne on a good solid garden trailer.

Most of the small cheap trailers are no bigger than a large wheel barrow so in a lot of cases its just quicker and easier to use a wheel barrow.

my3cents wrote: »
    Haven't bought one in years but used loads of different ones. If I was going to buy one I'd seriously think about spending a lot of money €500+ because I know you can pull a surprisingly large heavily loaded trailer with a lawn tractor. I've had loads of over a tonne on a good solid garden trailer.

Most of the small cheap trailers are no bigger than a large wheel barrow so in a lot of cases its just quicker and easier to use a wheel barrow.

That was my thoughts but who do you buy from?

Can't say where to buy from here but used to use and abuse two very similar to these http://www.schsupplies.co.uk/product/wooden-trailers/2-wheel-timber-tipping-trailer and http://www.schsupplies.co.uk/product/wooden-trailers/gwt415-heavy-duty-4-wheel-timber-trailer. Eye wateringly expensive but one had at least 15 years use and will still looking good and the other 25 years use, one or the other or both would have had daily use, both stored in a lean too shed. Back in the day I seem to remember Saxon was the name on them but they may have been a distributor.

IMO you'd want 2 acres or more of garden to justify either of those unless you regularly had stuff that need carting from one end of the garden to the other. The four wheel trailers with turntable steering reverse on a tractor really poorly but are easy to pull around by hand when its not worth getting a tractor out. The extension sides are great if you have loads and loads of leaves to pick up.

Can't say where to buy from here but used to use and abuse two very similar to these http://www.schsupplies.co.uk/product/wooden-trailers/2-wheel-timber-tipping-trailer and http://www.schsupplies.co.uk/product/wooden-trailers/gwt415-heavy-duty-4-wheel-timber-trailer. Eye wateringly expensive but one had at least 15 years use and will still looking good and the other 25 years use, one or the other or both would have had daily use, both stored in a lean too shed. Back in the day I seem to remember Saxon was the name on them but they may have been a distributor.

IMO you'd want 2 acres or more of garden to justify either of those unless you regularly had stuff that need carting from one end of the garden to the other. The four wheel trailers with turntable steering reverse on a tractor really poorly but are easy to pull around by hand when its not worth getting a tractor out. The extension sides are great if you have loads and loads of leaves to pick up.

nice job but a bit pricey. I am looking at trailer for a number of things but main one will be moving coal/timber up to sheds at back of house. I don't have foot path so would be handy to load up trailer and then bring up to sheds. Will be ordering lots of 100 x 25kg bags at a time.

Found the following which might do job

http://www.irishmowers.com/ride-on-lawnmower-attachments.html

Those I linked to had wide grass tyres that you won't get on many garden trailers and with the sides off are ideal for bagged stuff like coal.

If the main purpose was to move coal then I'd be inclined to go for a high flat bed with no,removable or drop sides so you aren't leaning down into a trailer and having to lift a heavy bag over the side each time.

I've seen both the ones you linked to and I nearly bought the plastic sided one. Its one of the better cheap ones but wouldn't put more than 5 40kg bags at a time in it probably less. Not so sure on the metal one could suit you but not sure for regular use with coal bags I'd line the bottom with a sheet of heavy plywood to protect it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Right, for those in the know and far more experienced than I -

When do you find yourselves putting your lawnmowers away for the winter, ie, when does the grass stop growing?

Looks like I need another cut of my own lawn and wondering how many more cuts, if any, will be needed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ardent wrote: »

When do you find yourselves putting your lawnmowers away for the winter, ie, when does the grass stop growing?

Looks like I need another cut of my own lawn and wondering how many more cuts, if any, will be needed...

I never know for sure when I have the last cut done. I have had a last cut in November and I have cut over the Christmas period.

It is all weather and growth determined. I'll do the winter storage routine when I find I haven't cut for three weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I never know for sure when I have the last cut done. I have had a last cut in November and I have cut over the Christmas period.

It is all weather and growth determined. I'll do the winter storage routine when I find I haven't cut for three weeks or so.

I agree, about the only month I don't cut
    Is normally February, I'll cut on 23rd December as I do every year and January normally needs one or two cuts.

A lot depends on winter temperatures if we have a winter like last year where it didn't really go below 7-8 degrees then the grass doesn't stop growing.

All my life I've been cutting grass a lot of that time as part of my job now my own acre and I'd always be on the look out for dry windy days over the winter to get a cut in. Certainly most years if the weather conditions are right I'll cut late in December.

Its not really a matter of putting the mower away, its just a matter of taking advantage of any good weather.

Don't cut of its freezing or ideally if its going to freeze the following night and come up a level of cut (don't cut a low) because all you really want to do is tidy up the grass and make it so you don't have a massive job when you start next year.

i have some customers that cut over the winter and some that don't. For those that don't I'll try and get the last cut at the end of November beginning of December weather dependant. I'll go back again February if we get nice weather.

What I would do is clean the mower and drain out the petrol at the end of November. If weather suits you can always take it out again.

I agree though a few cuts in the winter if temperatures stay up makes for an easy job in spring. I never drop from the top setting on the mowers from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Ardent wrote: »

It's really simple. If you can cut & remove grass then do it. Irish lawns are some of the worse that I have ever seen because people keep them too long over the Winter. Some of the local "gardeners" stop work at the end of October. The long grass never dries out & looks a mess.

If you can cut it without churning up the ground then do it. I keep hearing so called experts telling people to get ready to put their lawnmowers away. By the way, if you block the shoot, your mower can make a good leaf mulcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Thanks for the replies, a lot of wisdom imparted!

Not tried that one but you need to take a hard look at what you are bolting that to. Many of the lawn tractor hitches are on the weak side. They are strong enough to pull stuff but that ball will also tend to twist the hitch so might eventually rip it off. Most garden trailers have a hitch the will bend before the one on the tractor does but with a ball hitch all the pressure goes on the lawn tractor hitch.

I had an ancient John Deere with a good solid chassis and fitted one of these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Maypole-MP481-50mm-Combined-Coupling-Ballpin-Trailer-Quad-Towing-Hitch-/371452763022 but then had to modify some of the garden trailers because the pin was too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

When I first started I used to put the mower on the trailer & tow it to the job. Then take the mower off & use it to tow the trailer. I made up some brackets to strengthen the attachment point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Hi. Just wondering if anyone knows a Lyster Lawnmower reseller in and around Cork City. Looking to buy a collection bag that goes onto the back of one of them.

Ok I asked before on here about tractor lawn mower maintenance and it was mentioned about checking oil and then cleaning out oil over winter months. I am just wondering where people buy oil for there lawn mower?

Ok I asked before on here about tractor lawn mower maintenance and it was mentioned about checking oil and then cleaning out oil over winter months. I am just wondering where people buy oil for there lawn mower?

Normally buy it in advance if I see it cheap somewhere so never the same place. Have used one of the online shops and bought service kits a few times and they work out reasonably priced (provided you get free delivery) and include oil.
    Example http://www.lawnmowerpartsonline.ie/shop/search?category=service-kits&type=&brand=honda&keyword= .

Ok, still trying to get a trailer. Think I have found the answer

I found a trailer model FH-TC1840, it is fox hunter. It says on spec:
    * With towing shackle mounted in handle for attachment to quad bikes;

Anyone know if this would work for tractor lawnmower as well?

Ok, still trying to get a trailer. Think I have found the answer

I found a trailer model FH-TC1840, it is fox hunter. It says on spec:
    * With towing shackle mounted in handle for attachment to quad bikes;

Anyone know if this would work for tractor lawnmower as well?

For the money they are not bad, one of the weakness points is in the towing hitch part its very thin metal but it does fit your average lawn tractor. You just pull a pit out of the handle and that boxy looking bit comes off and there's the hitching point underneath.

Your problem is going to be that you are going to find all the weaknesses of the design very quickly if you load half a tonne on it.

Go easy an keep it down to 300kg look after it well and you may have a runner - imo.

For the money they are not bad, one of the weakness points is in the towing hitch part its very thin metal but it does fit your average lawn tractor. You just pull a pit out of the handle and that boxy looking bit comes off and there's the hitching point underneath.

Your problem is going to be that you are going to find all the weaknesses of the design very quickly if you load half a tonne on it.

Go easy an keep it down to 300kg look after it well and you may have a runner - imo.

Wont be going anywhere near half a tonne. Was more or less thinking about 200kg max.....

Actually found some non-brand models which look to have the same setup.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Metal-Garden-Mesh-Cart-Dump-Truck-Tipping-Trailer-Trolley-Wheelbarrow-/252518217236?hash=item3acb423614:g:2nQAAOSwFdtXxQHA

I am guessing because there is pin in handle. I can just disconnect the handle and then connect to lawnmower.....

Wont be going anywhere near half a tonne. Was more or less thinking about 200kg max.....

Actually found some non-brand models which look to have the same setup.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Metal-Garden-Mesh-Cart-Dump-Truck-Tipping-Trailer-Trolley-Wheelbarrow-/252518217236?hash=item3acb423614:g:2nQAAOSwFdtXxQHA

I am guessing because there is pin in handle. I can just disconnect the handle and then connect to lawnmower.....

If you've the sense to keep the weight down then it will be fine, for coal I'd take the sides off and make up a sheet of heavy plywood to spread the weight. You may need to get a bit of welding done on the handle sooner or later. btw there is only a paint finish so needs good dry storage if its to last.

That link is for one of the smaller versions - the wheels aren't as good as the ones on the FH-TC1840 which you can also find unbranded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

can a garden cart be used with a ride on as a trailer??

philstar wrote: »
    can a garden cart be used with a ride on as a trailer??

Yes. That small black box on the pulling bar is held over a towing hitch with a pin, remove the pin and the pulling handle comes off.

The towing bit isn't that strong though. Good enough but not made to last for years.

• Advertisement

I end up buying the Foxhunter TC1840B: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201637543322?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=500891619756&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It will do a job. Wheels are good on it and it will connect onto tractor but I won't be pulling big loads in it. Still happy with purchase

Advertisement