Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

my3cents wrote: »
    Yes. That small black box on the pulling bar is held over a towing hitch with a pin, remove the pin and the pulling handle comes off.

The towing bit isn't that strong though. Good enough but not made to last for years.

well the one i'm looking at is this one.....but it doesn't have the removable black box...so will it do for towing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

philstar wrote: »
    well the one i'm looking at is this one.....but it doesn't have the removable black box...so will it do for towing?

Probably not unless you modify it yourself. I don't think that one is big enough to even bother towing.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

Hi there,

Has any helpful person got a recommendation or know of any good discounts on a decent self propelled petrol mower please?

Something mid range in terms of size / power probably, as it is for a large-ish suburban garden (but nothing too challenging).

I've done a bit of research, but am stuck in my usual quandary not being able to find much of a middle ground between bargain basement and much more expensive branded, which I can't really justify and don't care for well enough. :confused:

Budget of up to 400e say, buying in Dublin based shop or online.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Mazza

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

mazza wrote: »
    Hi there,

Has any helpful person got a recommendation or know of any good discounts on a decent self propelled petrol mower please?

Something mid range in terms of size / power probably, as it is for a large-ish suburban garden (but nothing too challenging).

I've done a bit of research, but am stuck in my usual quandary not being able to find much of a middle ground between bargain basement and much more expensive branded, which I can't really justify and don't care for well enough. :confused:

Budget of up to 400e say, buying in Dublin based shop or online.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Mazza

If you could up the budget slightly Oleo Mac make really decent mowers. A 19 inch self propelled is available here for €500;

http://www.irishmowers.com/oleo-mac-lawnmowers.html

As far as I'm aware there is no really decent lawn mower shop in Dublin. Most Dubs buy their mowers in Woodies and B&Q who only sell rubbish. Plenty if you're willing to travel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

veetwin wrote: »
    If you could up the budget slightly Oleo Mac make really decent mowers. A 19 inch self propelled is available here for €500;

http://www.irishmowers.com/oleo-mac-lawnmowers.html

As far as I'm aware there is no really decent lawn mower shop in Dublin. Most Dubs buy their mowers in Woodies and B&Q who only sell rubbish. Plenty if you're willing to travel though.

Plenty of good dealers in Dublin. Northside or Southside ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

sheelbee wrote: »
    Plenty of good dealers in Dublin. Northside or Southside ?

In that case can you recommend a good lawn mower dealer on the north side?

veetwin wrote: »
    In that case can you recommend a good lawn mower dealer on the north side?
    Swords hire.
    Fingal Garden Machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

fox0512 wrote: »

Was looking at them as they would be very useful. Problem for me is that my deck (42") is wider than the wheel to wheel width (38"). Surely the deck would get stuck on the ground as the mower is raised up.

I see people on Amazon asking the same question and being told that its fine. But I can't get my head around it.

Has anyone here got any similiar experiences?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Hi,

Looking at buying an 18-19" push mower.

I have the choice of a Viking MB248, Weibang WB454HC or Legacy L46P B locally - all similarly priced €280-300

Any recommendations/advice?

Thanks

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Hi,

I have the choice of a Viking MB248, Weibang WB454HC or Legacy L46P B locally - all similarly priced €280-300

Thanks

Where are you ?
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Where are you ?
    Regards

Cork...

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

My sister has the Viking with the drive on it. Grand light mower which is easy to push around without the drive I'd say. The grass box is solid so it's easy to clean. Also had a two year guarantee. She only has it a year and no problems. I have her well earned not to let the grass get long though. Don't know the other two mowers. Viking are a decent brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jigjiganonchuk

I found some great list of push lawn mowers, feel free to read reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I found some great list of push lawn mowers, feel free to read reviews.

Not much use here though.

None are relevant to Ireland. Go to your local dealer and support him, he in time will support you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

What do people think of a used Ibea 550 with a Briggs and Stratton 675 engine for €400 with a year warranty? It seems to be in decent shape but I don't know anything about lawnmowers. I have a big enough garden that will require regular mowing. Thanks.

What do people think of a used Ibea 550 with a Briggs and Stratton 675 engine for €400 with a year warranty? It seems to be in decent shape but I don't know anything about lawnmowers. I have a big enough garden that will require regular mowing. Thanks.
    I think Noah used one of those. No parts available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I think Noah used one of those. No parts available.

Are they that old? So you wouldn't recommend getting it?
    Is there anything you would recommend for roughly that budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭cena

Good place online to buy a new honda izy lawnmower

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

cena wrote: »
    Good place online to buy a new honda izy lawnmower

Harder now because all the prices will of shot back up for the summer. I would try ebay & shop soiled.

I picked up my 16 inch self propelled Izy for €280 a few years ago on ebay. The postage was €25. The same mover was in my local dealer was €495. It was sold as shop soiled & had a scratch on the deck. It even had full Honda warranty.

I cut a lot of grass & I keep grabbing the little Izy rather than my 21 inch Honda Pro. The only thing that I have replaced is cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Discodog wrote: »
    Harder now because all the prices will of shot back up for the summer. I would try ebay & shop soiled.

I picked up my 16 inch self propelled Izy for €280 a few years ago on ebay. The postage was €25. The same mover was in my local dealer was €495. It was sold as shop soiled & had a scratch on the deck. It even had full Honda warranty.

I cut a lot of grass & I keep grabbing the little Izy rather than my 21 inch Honda Pro. The only thing that I have replaced is cables.

Is that quite a large area that you are using the 16" izzy for. I take it that it is if you would have used a 21" pro previously?

Is the 16" izzy push or self drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

In the market for a ride-on at present. I have about 0.6 acres of grass to cut. Some of it is quite dry and small parts of it get quite swampy at the wetter times of year.

What would people recommend? I thought something like this looked ok:
    http://www.amrentals.ie/Ride_on_Lawnmowers/oleo-mac-om-95-16.htm

This is what I'm tempted by at 2150 euro:
    http://www.esaleslocal.com/Stiga-Estate-Master-Hydro.htm

But open to opinions! I'm in the north Wexford/south Wicklow area!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just bought a Husqvarna TC138 for €2200, reduced from €2400 in a pre-season sale. From a Husqvarna dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Got an email yesterday that I'm one of the 50 people who get a free trial of a Husqvarna Automower. Absolutely delighted... was looking at ride-ons and the bank balance with apprehension! Can't wait to get it and see it in action...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Zzippy wrote: »
    Got an email yesterday that I'm one of the 50 people who get a free trial of a Husqvarna Automower. Absolutely delighted... was looking at ride-ons and the bank balance with apprehension! Can't wait to get it and see it in action...[/QUOTE

Lucky you.. I assume there will be a blog to follow?
    I wasn't holding out much hope of getting one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Hi has anyone got an experience with Cobra Lawnmowers specifically the Cobra MX515SPBI ?
    I plan on replacing a 6 HP Harry lawnmower that's seen better days (will need a new wheel and engine is burning as much oil as petrol and hard to start) its going to cut about 1/3rd acre with a few raised bed's around the place and lawn is not very level, so quality of cut is not important, most important thing for me is self drive, aluminium deck and electric start as id like to make it as simple to use for the other half so if anyone can make other recommendations I'm open to them in an around a budget of €600

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

None are relevant to Ireland. Go to your local dealer and support him, he in time will support you.
    Best advice I've seen in a long time. Unfortunately, some think they might save a few euros but in the longer term, the local guy is who you will need if/when you are in trouble and need advice or support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭blackbox

Zzippy wrote: »
    Got an email yesterday that I'm one of the 50 people who get a free trial of a Husqvarna Automower. Absolutely delighted... was looking at ride-ons and the bank balance with apprehension! Can't wait to get it and see it in action...

Well done!

I applied for this too, but alas no e-mail. Probably because I'm not on twitter or facebook. (or maybe area was unsuitable or maybe I was just unlucky.)

Looking forward to hearing how you get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Hi guys....

Appreciate any input on a lawn mower purchase.....

Have about 0.25 grass acres to cut so looking for self propelled. Something the wife can use as she cuts the grass more often than I do. Budget €500 or thereabouts.

The local dealer does Husky's and Castlegarden. What's the Husky LC 347V like?

And how would it compare to the budget Hondas?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

blackbox wrote: »
    Well done!

I applied for this too, but alas no e-mail. Probably because I'm not on twitter or facebook. (or maybe area was unsuitable or maybe I was just unlucky.)

Looking forward to hearing how you get on...

Cheers. Yeah you definitely need to be active on social media and show willing to do the video reviews - I did a short video showing our garden and why we need a mower just for the entry. Reckon that might have got us over the line. Installer coming around next week to assess the lawn for which model is most suitable, will let ye know how it goes over the summer. Had the first cut done today as it was getting long, plenty of moss to sort out over the next few months...

Advertisement