Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

Some advice and opinions please.

Ive a fairly large garden to mow. I am currently using an Aldi Gardenline self propelled mower which was given to me as a house warming gift on moving into the house almost 4 years ago. It has served me well but its taking me an age each time I mow.

My garden is divided into 2 separate areas. One area is straight forward cutting with little or no obstacles. This still takes almost 2 hours to cut.
    The other area is trickier with trees shrubs etc. and this usually takes just over an hour. It is a lot of time each week and Im hoping to cut it down a bit.

I dont think that I am in Ride-on territory and with the obstacles of the 2nd area it would be difficult and possibly take longer. Besides I really dont mind the exercise of walking after the mower and the price is out of range if Im honest.

Here are my questions:
    Would a newer and bigger self propelled mower cut that much time off the total time mowing?

I have been looking at these 2 mowers: HUSQVARNA LC 153V and Honda HRG466 SKEX
    From my own research these seem to be pretty decent long lasting and provide good cutting options.

Are there any other makes/models I should be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

I have a large garden which is mixed terrain also. Have both a self drive and a ride on. I rarely bother with the ride on as it can only handle the flat half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

TheTorment wrote: »

Ive a fairly large garden to mow. I am currently using an Aldi Gardenline self propelled mower which was given to me as a house warming gift on moving into the house almost 4 years ago. It has served me well but its taking me an age each time I mow.

My garden is divided into 2 separate areas. One area is straight forward cutting with little or no obstacles. This still takes almost 2 hours to cut.
    The other area is trickier with trees shrubs etc. and this usually takes just over an hour. It is a lot of time each week and Im hoping to cut it down a bit.

I dont think that I am in Ride-on territory and with the obstacles of the 2nd area it would be difficult and possibly take longer. Besides I really dont mind the exercise of walking after the mower and the price is out of range if Im honest.

Here are my questions:
    Would a newer and bigger self propelled mower cut that much time off the total time mowing?

From my own research these seem to be pretty decent long lasting and provide good cutting options.

Approach I am taking is that I have gotten a ride on and am adapting the garden to make it easier and quicker to mow, with a view to when I am older and need to try and minimise the work required. I have a small electric mower that can do the 5 mins of space that the ride on cant get to. Only have the ride on a couple of weeks and am happy so far. Still figuring it out, but have the time under an hour already for almost an acre of grass between the two separate areas of the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Just bought a Husqvarna TC138 for €2200, reduced from €2400 in a pre-season sale. From a Husqvarna dealer.

How you finding it ? thinking of same purchase

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    How you finding it ? thinking of same purchase

So far so good, need to lower the anti scalp wheels though as they are too high to be effective at the moment.

I am glad I went for the larger deck rather than something smaller. It is more maneuverable than I was expecting. I got the Mulch plug for an additional €100, but haven't used that yet.

Speed is pretty good and even with the grass not being that dry it is doing a good neat cut. All wide tyres also.

Only issue is the piece of plastic that gets pushed against the safety switch to ensure the bag is in place, as it came off when emptying the bag and took a while to find. It just clips on, so I may need to do something to make sure it stays in place and doesn't fall off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

So far so good, need to lower the anti scalp wheels though as they are too high to be effective at the moment.

I am glad I went for the larger deck rather than something smaller. It is more maneuverable than I was expecting. I got the Mulch plug for an additional €100, but haven't used that yet.

Speed is pretty good and even with the grass not being that dry it is doing a good neat cut. All wide tyres also.

Only issue is the piece of plastic that gets pushed against the safety switch to ensure the bag is in place, as it came off when emptying the bag and took a while to find. It just clips on, so I may need to do something to make sure it stays in place and doesn't fall off.

You'll be in a minority if you find that over priced piece of junk called a mulch plug is any use.

my3cents wrote: »
    You'll be in a minority if you find that over priced piece of junk called a mulch plug is any use.

I was talked into it by someone else, I hadn't intended to get one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Thanks for that , might purchase the weekend! whats your lawn size and cut time ?

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that , might purchase the weekend! whats your lawn size and cut time ?

Approach I am taking is that I am adapting the garden to make it easier and quicker to mow, with a view to when I am older and need to try and minimise the work required. I have a small electric mower that can do the 5 mins of space that the ride on cant get to. Only have the ride on a couple of weeks and am happy so far. Still figuring it out, but have the time under an hour already for almost an acre of grass between the two separate areas of the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Here are my questions:

It's taking you 3 hours to cut your grass and yet you're wondering if you should switch from a push mower to a ride on to save time?

• Advertisement

It's taking you 3 hours to cut your grass and yet you're wondering if you should switch from a push mower to a ride on to save time?

Tell me, which of my questions are you answering there?
    Real helpful Dan.

If you read the post, properly, you'd have seen that a) one part of the lawn isnt suitable for a ride on and b) a ride on is not within my budget.

But you go on ahead there and and hit me with your quick and witty response.

Approach I am taking is that I have gotten a ride on and am adapting the garden to make it easier and quicker to mow, with a view to when I am older and need to try and minimise the work required. I have a small electric mower that can do the 5 mins of space that the ride on cant get to. Only have the ride on a couple of weeks and am happy so far. Still figuring it out, but have the time under an hour already for almost an acre of grass between the two separate areas of the garden.

Food for thought. Maybe I should be considering a similar approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The compromise between ride on & mower is one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Discodog wrote: »
    The compromise between ride on & mower is one of these.

I used to do contract grass cutting if I could get a pedestrian mower as good as the old Hayter Condor I'd get one like a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭alentejo

Can anybody recommend a good lawnmover repair shop (petrol) in the Terenure, Kimmage, Templeogue, Rathfarnham area? Used to go to Webb Hardware in Templeogue Village however appears to be closed.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 Oggie_Winters

Toro walk behind mowers is your only man,,,, £1300 but is money we'll spent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KhyrieLiam

Maybe you can switch to reel mower. I am planning to buy a reel mower online. Its pretty convenient maintaining a lawn without using a gas powered mower because I can certainly miss the noise and the fumes of the old mower.

KhyrieLiam wrote: »
    because I can certainly miss the noise and the fumes of the old mower.

sweet jeez! What's the country coming to. I saw a fella the other day cutting the front lawn- about 10yds x 5yds I'd say. He had ear muffs, safety glasses and a hi vis jacket on!

Tell me, which of my questions are you answering there?
    Real helpful Dan.

If you read the post, properly, you'd have seen that a) one part of the lawn isnt suitable for a ride on and b) a ride on is not within my budget.

But you go on ahead there and and hit me with your quick and witty response.

Well the answer to your question is pretty simple really. Go to the shop and look at the various lawnmowers, usually you pay more for the better model. Better again there are great second hand bargains out there. Regardless of what you buy you are not going to shave more than 15minutes off the time it is already taking you. I just don't understand fellas who are obsessed with getting things done that little bit quicker, what are you going to do with the extra 15 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭deezell

sweet jeez! What's the country coming to. I saw a fella the other day cutting the front lawn- about 10yds x 5yds I'd say. He had ear muffs, safety glasses and a hi vis jacket on!

Drove behind a learner driver today, the instructor in the passenger seat had a high viz jacket on. Seen a wan in Connolly station updating the electronic advertisement signage using a wireless tablet. She had a high viz on just standing there. Some years ago an Irish rail employee asked me to answer some survey questions as i walked through the concourse. I declined as she was wearing hi viz, but didn't have a spare one to give to me while I answered. Too hazardous.
    Has anyone bought stuff online from ie.wellindal.com? Big Einhell 51cm mower with electric start is €443 delivered using coupon code WELLI5, Its €499 in Chadwicks/Heitons but was discounted there in their branches previous summer's to 469. Maybe I'll wait and watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Hey folks looking for a few pointers. I have been to Woodies, Homebase and B&Q looking at self propelled lawn mowers they all have Briggs and Stratton engines but not sure on which brand would be considered better. Qualcast, Prolawn and Gmach.

Also spotted a Mcculloch and Mountfield, totally lost though on which to pick as I have no idea on each brands reputation looking at a 300 euro budget

Any tips would be greatfully appreciated

kilburn wrote: »
    Hey folks looking for a few pointers. I have been to Woodies, Homebase and B&Q looking at self propelled lawn mowers they all have Briggs and Stratton engines but not sure on which brand would be considered better. Qualcast, Prolawn and Gmach.

Also spotted a Mcculloch and Mountfield, totally lost though on which to pick as I have no idea on each brands reputation looking at a 300 euro budget

Any tips would be greatfully appreciated

B &S Engines will last forever with care. Its the quality of deck, wheels, levers, bag, deck that determines how often you will need reapairs. €300 will get you a 16" Husqvarna, high quality, or a larger 18" pattern brand from the big stores. I'm impressed by the Hyundai 20" in Chadwicks or Heiton Buckleys, fine big machine for €359.

First obvious question is to ask your local repairer if he can repair them & get parts.

The Hyundai's are cheap because they don't have a reputation - they are new. Ask about warranty, repair & parts

First obvious question is to ask your local repairer if he can repair them & get parts.

The Hyundai's are cheap because they don't have a reputation - they are new. Ask about warranty, repair & parts

Hyundais are not a Chinese badged generic machine. Not that new, Chadwicks selling them since 2015 at least. They sell them and the German Einhell brand, though they only have one model of this brand in stock. A lot of the big stores machines are badged copies of each other, so my advice is pay attention to the non engine parts if the mower, these will determine it's price and durability.

deezell wrote: »
    Hyundais are not a Chinese badged generic machine. Not that new, Chadwicks selling them since 2015 at least. They sell them and the German Einhell brand, though they only have one model of this brand in stock. A lot of the big stores machines are badged copies of each other, so my advice is pay attention to the non engine parts if the mower, these will determine it's price and durability.

Two years is nothing. Weibang are pretty new but are already being used commercially. I haven't seen Hyundai mentioned on any of the professional forums.

Two years is nothing. Weibang are pretty new but are already being used commercially. I haven't seen Hyundai mentioned on any of the professional forums.

Commercial quality weibang is €850. The guy's budget was 300. Their cheaper domestic machines are a bit pricy for what they are. Basic push mower is 300.

deezell wrote: »
    Commercial quality weibang is €850. The guy's budget was 300. Their cheaper domestic machines are a bit pricy for what they are. Basic push mower is 300.

The point that I am making is there isn't any real experience of Hyundai. Are any of the established Mower dealers selling them?

The point that I am making is there isn't any real experience of Hyundai. Are any of the established Mower dealers selling them?
    Apart from manufacturing some of the best cars, plant and machinery in the world, I can't comment on the quality of their mowers, but I think the brand name deserves some trust. Honda was a cheap brand name back in the 60's, now a honda mower is twice the price on average of other brands. Some of the top end manufacturers have resorted to badging budget quality equipment in order to compete on the domestic end. John Deere, Stiga, selling repainted Castelgarden mowers, which in turn are not very competitive anymore. I'm not sure why you've taken against Hyundai, who knows but maybe they are made elsewhere than Korea, but compared to some of the spurious brands out there they represent good value and a recognisable brand name to boot. If I've only 300-350 to spend and need a biggish self propelled, i can choose something called 'golden world' or 'sunny day' or whatever, but a brand name carries some clout, and if you can get it at generic brand prices, then that's a bonus.

I haven't taken against them. I am just surprised why they aren't establishing a dealer network with mower dealers.

What's the warranty like?

• Advertisement

I haven't taken against them. I am just surprised why they aren't establishing a dealer network with mower dealers.

What's the warranty like?

I didn't ask, I presume 12 months. Maybe they're exclusive to Heitons and their outlets, maybe they supply them direct without a middleman or distributor. Anyway, I hope this has helped Kilburn realise there's more choice than just the retail park multiple stores. Unlike cars, there are unique branded products, and a whole raft of mix and match generics, generally revolving around a B&S engine, with many interchangeable parts between 'brands'.

Advertisement