Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Good advice, thanks. After a day and a half of operation the mower has covered 99% of the lawn, just a few tufts of longer grass. Really impressed with the quality of cut so far.

The mower came with a battery-operated strimmer too, which I used today. Wasn't expecting a lot from a battery strimmer but was blown away by the performance. Only did half an hour with it so far but the battery still had plenty of charge, and it was as good as any electric strimmer I've used in the past. The mower doesn't cut right to the edge of the lawn as the guide wire is placed about 20-30cm inside the edge, so a strimmer is kinda necessary to do the finishing touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Have had a read back through ten pages, and don't see the advice I need, so here goes, if anybody can help me.

I have a 13HP husqvarna tractor mower which is quite old, a bit tempermental, and the deck is a bit uneven - seized adjusting bolts?- and also it leaves a strip between the two blades. My lawn is in three parts (3/4 acre total) so not suitable for a robot.

I can now afford to treat myself to a new mower, and am trying to choose between a new version of what I have, ie a 13hp, tractor mower with ability to mulch, or to get a 13hp dedicated mulcher - Husqvarna model with three decks out front and articulated steering.

The dedicated mulcher is a bit more expensive, but I like the idea of it having tighter turning circle - plenty of shrubs & trees on lawn to steer around. It has this 'bioclip' system - marketing tosh? or does it do a better job of mulching than the tractor model?

Also I reckon it will be better for the lawn as more mulching = less nutrient removal. I also like the idea that it's much easier to access the deck for maintenance, and to fit scarifying blades to get rid of lawn thatch & moss (have some of both, but not that infested by it).

Of course I will be unable to collect grass with it if it gets very long, but I could hold onto the old machine for the odd time that ight be needed eg if too long after winter.

I guess you can read that I'm more enamoured by a change to the dedicated mulcher rather than more of the same, and while it is a bit more expensive, I view it as a 10-15 year investment.
    So, in short, I want your wise blessing to spend more money, or should I save some money and get the same again. Also, for a few extra quid, would the same model with a twin cylinder engine, which I assume is a bit more powerful, be worth the extra outlay.

Also, for simplicity I have it down to the Husqvarna range, as I'm happy with that, and more choice = procrastination. (Unless you have serious issues with this range)

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Personally I think that mulching is the Emperors new clothes. Just leaves a mess, clogs the lawn with thatch & encourages moss. Grass was designed to be left alone or cut/eaten & removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Anyone recommend a lawn mover of decent quality for around €400? Something that is not impossible to get parts for and has some sort of reputation? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭deezell

henke wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a lawn mover of decent quality for around €400? Something that is not impossible to get parts for and has some sort of reputation? Thanks.

Honda, Husqvarna, Mountfield, McCullough, Castelgarden. The posher the brand the lessc mower you'll get for €400. Avoid woodies. Cheap mowers are often patterns of main brands, but you won't know which if looking for a wheel, cable, blade etc. There's a decent Husqvarna for about 400. Einhell are a main German brand, Chadwicks have these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Was wondering has anyone used the Ego Electric Mowers with 56V lithium ion batteries

https://egopowerplus.ie

They are getting some good reviews. I'm in market for lawn mower and have been looking at everything from Honda, Huqvarna to auto mowers. In end decided that an automower wasn't way to go. I do like the idea of a powerful electric motor on par with a petrol mower do but there's very little reviews this side of the Atlantic on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

john_doe. wrote: »
    Was wondering has anyone used the Ego Electric Mowers with 56V lithium ion batteries

They are getting some good reviews. I'm in market for lawn mower and have been looking at everything from Honda, Huqvarna to auto mowers. In end decided that an automower wasn't way to go. I do like the idea of a powerful electric motor on par with a petrol mower do but there's very little reviews this side of the Atlantic on them.

The batteries seem laughably expensive. €330 for a 6Ah battery? :eek:

Roen wrote: »
    The batteries seem laughably expensive. €330 for a 6Ah battery? :eek:

Yes I also wonder what they would be like this side of Atlantic, if you had some damp grass could it cut.

I quite fancy an electric but I really think they are all very overpriced & I too doubt their ability to handle longer wet grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Have the 52cm self drive one for about a year, replaced a newish 53cm Honda Izy and it has exceeded expectations. The battery cost has been diluted because it's spread among strimmer, chainsaw and hedgetrimmer. The latter 3 I needed to buy anyway. I've now got the multitool on order, don't need new batteries. Have 3 batteries, 7.5Ah, 5Ah and 2Ah. The price of the 6Ah was pricier per Ah than the 5Ah and the 7.5Ah came with the mower as did the fast charger. With the fast charger, I can mow full time.

It is a muching collecting mower and generally all we do is collect. This morning I decided to try long wet grass. Still wet from overnight dew. I had to fashion the back flap to stay open and I did have to stop a few time to unblock where the vegetation which was a lot of buttercup, Hogweed, Nettles and grass was thickest but it got through it better than I expected. It is totally not designed for this. I think it does extremely well what it is designed for. Run time per battery this morning was poor, I got 17 minutes each battery. The 7Ah wasn't fully charged, but it is possible to tackle long grass, may depend on whether you're a glass half full or half empty person to decide whether my trial this morning was a fail or a pass :D

So the pluses, quieter, no smell, no fuel, no pull start. my 5yo mows the grass (but don't tell H & S ;)) The strimmer is really quiet and chainsaw is quiet enough to not need ear protectors. hedgetrimmer is noisy as the motor is near the ears. Variable speed so if going is light it'll slow down and improve run time, though there's a bit of a the old turbo lag as it takes time to ramp up the power if you hit a heavy section of grass. Good warranty (can't remember offhand) The drive did fail on the mower and it was replaced with a new mower. Light, easy to clean. Cheap to run!! Will be very little servicing throughout the years. Oh and it has headlights :pac:, frankly a gimmick here

Minuses, not many, but the only battery charger indicator is when about 20% left. I'd like to see charge level whether 80%, 50% etc. Seems to be design feature in mower that locks the drive so can't be pulled backwards unless it's pushed forward a cm to release. To be honest this is annoying but we've got used to it. We have hills and trees and plenty of areas where you push mower and then pull it back. the drive needs to be released a bit sooner then feels natural. As I say we've got used to it. The equipment is essentially live when battery is attached. So a child could come along and turn the equipment, whereas they wouldn't manage a pull start motor until much older. So we routinely remove batteries when finished with the tool. But with the likes of the chainsaw in the garden when one is doing bits and pieces, it's fantastic. It's off when not running but it's always ready to go.

417060.jpg

417061.jpg
    417062.jpg

• Advertisement

axe2grind wrote: »
    Have the 52cm self drive one for about a year, replaced a newish 53cm Honda Izy and it has exceeded expectations. The battery cost has been diluted because it's spread among strimmer, chainsaw and hedgetrimmer. The latter 3 I needed to buy anyway. I've now got the multitool on order, don't need new batteries. Have 3 batteries, 7.5Ah, 5Ah and 2Ah. The price of the 6Ah was pricier per Ah than the 5Ah and the 7.5Ah came with the mower as did the fast charger. With the fast charger, I can mow full time.

It is a muching collecting mower and generally all we do is collect. This morning I decided to try long wet grass. Still wet from overnight dew. I had to fashion the back flap to stay open and I did have to stop a few time to unblock where the vegetation which was a lot of buttercup, Hogweed, Nettles and grass was thickest but it got through it better than I expected. It is totally not designed for this. I think it does extremely well what it is designed for. Run time per battery this morning was poor, I got 17 minutes each battery. The 7Ah wasn't fully charged, but it is possible to tackle long grass, may depend on whether you're a glass half full or half empty person to decide whether my trial this morning was a fail or a pass :D

So the pluses, quieter, no smell, no fuel, no pull start. my 5yo mows the grass (but don't tell H & S ;)) The strimmer is really quiet and chainsaw is quiet enough to not need ear protectors. hedgetrimmer is noisy as the motor is near the ears. Variable speed so if going is light it'll slow down and improve run time, though there's a bit of a the old turbo lag as it takes time to ramp up the power if you hit a heavy section of grass. Good warranty (can't remember offhand) The drive did fail on the mower and it was replaced with a new mower. Light, easy to clean. Cheap to run!! Will be very little servicing throughout the years. Oh and it has headlights :pac:, frankly a gimmick here

Minuses, not many, but the only battery charger indicator is when about 20% left. I'd like to see charge level whether 80%, 50% etc. Seems to be design feature in mower that locks the drive so can't be pulled backwards unless it's pushed forward a cm to release. To be honest this is annoying but we've got used to it. We have hills and trees and plenty of areas where you push mower and then pull it back. the drive needs to be released a bit sooner then feels natural. As I say we've got used to it. The equipment is essentially live when battery is attached. So a child could come along and turn the equipment, whereas they wouldn't manage a pull start motor until much older. So we routinely remove batteries when finished with the tool. But with the likes of the chainsaw in the garden when one is doing bits and pieces, it's fantastic. It's off when not running but it's always ready to go.

417060.jpg

417061.jpg
    417062.jpg

Thanks for the detailed reply.
    The grass you were cutting looked fairly long.
    I would really like one in comparison to a petrol mower.

Can I ask where u purchased yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Thanks for the detailed reply.
    The grass you were cutting looked fairly long.
    I would really like one in comparison to a petrol mower.

Can I ask where u purchased yours?
    Seems to be quite a few dealers nationwide, but got bad vibes from my nearest and ended up going to ruffley in Kildare, an hour away from me so not particularly convenient, but at least he seems to know what he is talking about as he also stocks Pellenc which is commercial battery tools...and if you think EGO is pricey?!

axe2grind wrote: »
    Seems to be quite a few dealers nationwide, but got bad vibes from my nearest and ended up going to ruffley in Kildare, an hour away from me so not particularly convenient, but at least he seems to know what he is talking about as he also stocks Pellenc which is commercial battery tools...and if you think EGO is pricey?!

I'm still in two minds, I like the idea of electric, but think I could regret it , it's good to have the option anyway.

I'm still in two minds, I like the idea of electric, but think I could regret it , it's good to have the option anyway.

A petrol mower will definitely do the job & cost a lot less. The electric will probably do the job but cost more.

deezell wrote: »
    HThere's a decent Husqvarna for about 400. Einhell are a main German brand, Chadwicks have these.

Thanks for the recommendation. I wouldn't have known that brand but I can see now they're available throughout Ireland and online.
    Imagine they're good enough if the builder suppliers are stocking them?

Thanks for the recommendation. I wouldn't have known that brand but I can see now they're available throughout Ireland and online.
    Imagine they're good enough if the builder suppliers are stocking them?

I've found it easier to get parts for brands which have a European maker/ distributor behind them. I've a 17 year old stiga 55cm, my second in 32 years, so I've replaced a lot of bits in that time and always could find them either locally ( sometimes very expensive) or by a trawl through the European online sites. Most recently replaced all 4 wheels from a French site, literally worñ through. I scrapped a cheap mower after 3 years previous to the stigas over a little sprocket in the self drive that i couldn't find for love nor money. Stiga may have been pricey initially but it was value in the long run. Einhell possibly manufactured outside the eu, but it looks to be solid and well specced, with the German global company at it's back. Similar looking Asian machines bulk imported in containers vanish from the market in a few years, and you're left scrabbling to find simple replacement parts like cables or blades.

deezell wrote: »
    I've found it easier to get parts for brands which have a European maker/ distributor behind them. I've a 17 year old stiga 55cm, my second in 32 years, so I've replaced a lot of bits in that time and always could find them either locally ( sometimes very expensive) or by a trawl through the European online sites. Most recently replaced all 4 wheels from a French site, literally worñ through. I scrapped a cheap mower after 3 years previous to the stigas over a little sprocket in the self drive that i couldn't find for love nor money. Stiga may have been pricey initially but it was value in the long run. Einhell possibly manufactured outside the eu, but it looks to be solid and well specced, with the German global company at it's back. Similar looking Asian machines bulk imported in containers vanish from the market in a few years, and you're left scrabbling to find simple replacement parts like cables or blades.

Ive seen a few Stiga's recently for sale in hardware stores so good to see they're also reputable.

I have a Rover that I inherited which is years old but a great mower. I got it refurbished last year including bespoke metal clamps for the handle which was loose. It took a while to start first this year when I took it out for the first cut so I'm hoping it will keep going for another while but I'd say to replace it would cost close to 800 euro.

800 and the rest. Hi quality Australian brand. B&S motor parts can be got for ever. Hard starting after winter can be stuck rings and poor compression or old petrol left in it can laquer the carburettor and restrict jets and ports. All fixable with flushing, solvent fresh oil and petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Hi All, I'm about to replace my mower and I'm looking at either a Husqvarna or an Oleo-Mac, both 38" or 42" any pros or cons to watch out for with these two. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

Avoid the Husqvarna, they had more recalls than any other brand.

• Advertisement

Just wondering which of these people think represents the best value for money, in terms of performance and maintenance etc

Honda 599euro

Husqvarna 495euro

Husqvarna 385euro

Not looking to spend a fortune but want something reliable. Does the Honda justify the extra etc?

Thanks.

Just wondering which of these people think represents the best value for money, in terms of performance and maintenance etc

Honda 599euro

Husqvarna 495euro

Husqvarna 385euro

Not looking to spend a fortune but want something reliable. Does the Honda justify the extra etc?

Thanks.

Yes definitely but you will get it cheaper elsewhere.

Any recommendations where to look?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sorry completelt missed this when I was looking. Got the type of engine Brian recommended in a €200 unit from Woodies - it'll do me tbh!

Fed up of burning out fly mos!

Any recommendations where to look?

I got mine on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Which lawn mower would ye recommend me?

Got .3 to .5 acre to cut. Site is slopped 10-20 degrees. Garden is just grass a the moment with no beds or shrubs as obstacles but will in future I suppose

Would a 21 inch self propelled be alright? Busy job and 2 small children
    Could pick one up for €150 second hand and would 'just' fit in plastic garden/wheelie bin cabinet jobbie I got from b&q.

Other options:
    30inch toro timemaster €1450 new. adv is could store in barna shed but need to buy one. Not worst thing for us to get.
    2-Second hand ride for €900 to €1200 disadvantage is storage (possible store in barna? Don't wanna commit to proper shed right now as can't decide where to put)

One cosideration is storage as have no shed. Amenable to buying a barna. Don't really want to get a steeltec yet right now. (Got one of those large plastic wheelie bin stores for the moment from b&q

Thanks in advance

Discodog wrote: »
    Yes definitely but you will get it cheaper elsewhere.

They might buy cheaper, I would recommend buy local, it's "cheaper" in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

sheelbee wrote: »
    They might buy cheaper, I would recommend buy local, it's "cheaper" in the long run.

Buying from the main dealer in my area would be the most expensive mistake you could make.

There is very little on that honda that can go wrong not even a belt or a gearbox and the engine is so ubiquitous spare parts are very easy to get online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

my3cents wrote: »
    Buying from the main dealer in my area would be the most expensive mistake you could make.

There is very little on that honda that can go wrong not even a belt or a gearbox and the engine is so ubiquitous spare parts are very easy to get online.
    As if a Honda lawnmower hasn't ever broken.
    Little challenge for you; find a new genuine fabric grassbag or blade clutch for a 21" Honda for under 100 euro delivered. Find a rear wheel or throttle cable for under 40.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »

Wait until the "ubiquitous" engine starts hunting !!

Advertisement