Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I'll see your toro time master and raise you....,

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/lawnflite-wcm84e-wide-cut-lawn-mower.html

Thats a nice machine but no collection which is what most home owners want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

my3cents wrote: »
    Thats a nice machine but no collection which is what most home owners want.

Mulching is only where the time master wins over a regular mower as you just have to empty the bag more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭deezell

I'll see your toro time master and raise you....,

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/lawnflite-wcm84e-wide-cut-lawn-mower.html

Also 3-4K for a ride on is right at the bottom of the market tbh you'd be better off getting a good quality walk behind.

True, but the one i linked is a lawnflite also, from a mower shop not a chain store, and same brand as the UK one you linked. Its a fair deal for 3k, and your warranty is local. He only has .75 acre of straight cutting. That 41" mower would cut it in 40 minute at a gallop, a lot faster than you could walk behind.

deezell wrote: »
    True, but the one i linked is a lawnflite also, from a mower shop not a chain store, and same brand as the UK one you linked. Its a fair deal for 3k, and your warranty is local. He only has .75 acre of straight cutting. That 41" mower would cut it in 40 minute at a gallop, a lot faster than you could walk behind.

I know what lawnflite is.

Tbh if it took you 40 minutes on a ride on I'd be asking when you were goin to switch it on it should only take about twenty minutes.

A 21" walk behind at 3.5 mph will do that in under an hour.

I know what lawnflite is.

Tbh if it took you 40 minutes on a ride on I'd be asking when you were goin to switch it on it should only take about twenty minutes.

A 21" walk behind at 3.5 mph will do that in under an hour.

I never said you didn't know what a lawnflite was, but you implied it was a very low end ride on brand, not worth considering given its price, then you went on to reccommend the same brand.
    As for mowing rate, 21" cut with no overlap and no turning, emptying bag, walking in a straight line at 3.5 MPH ( That's just under 6 Kmph, a fair pace for a walker without a mower), you will mow 1.75 X 18480 sq feet of grass in 1 hour, 32340 sq ft, or .74 acres. Allow 10% overlap, 10% turning, short ground, obstacles, beds etc and 10% bag emptying and you're looking at 33% longer, 1 hour 20 min, if you can keep up that walking pace. A 40" ride on at that pace would be a bit less than half the time, or about 40 mins, less in top gear. I can do my very awkward shaped 1.2 acres, loads of trees, pond, beds, roots, short ground etc. With a 40" in an hour and 10 if the grass is light. When its wet and/or heavy it's down a gear and bag empty twice every round, takes at least an hour 40.
    If your doing .75 acres in 20 minutes with a 40" then you're tearing around. Most would prefer a good job to a fast one.

• Advertisement

I never said you didn't know what a lawnflite was, but you implied it was a very low end ride on brand, not worth considering given its price, then you went on to reccommend the same brand.
    As for mowing rate, 21" cut with no overlap and no turning, emptying bag, walking in a straight line at 3.5 MPH ( That's just under 6 Kmph, a fair pace for a walker without a mower), you will mow 1.75 X 18480 sq feet of grass in 1 hour, 32340 sq ft, or .74 acres. Allow 10% overlap, 10% turning, short ground, obstacles, beds etc and 10% bag emptying and you're looking at 33% longer, 1 hour 20 min, if you can keep up that walking pace. A 40" ride on at that pace would be a bit less than half the time, or about 40 mins, less in top gear. I can do my very awkward shaped 1.2 acres, loads of trees, pond, beds, roots, short ground etc. With a 40" in an hour and 10 if the grass is light. When its wet and/or heavy it's down a gear and bag empty twice every round, takes at least an hour 40.
    If your doing .75 acres in 20 minutes with a 40" then you're tearing around. Most would prefer a good job to a fast one.

I used mowing calculator based on 5 mph for the ride on with 10% overlap and 3.5 mph for the walk behind bearing in mind it's 30" and not 21" as you've stated here.

I can do 3.5 mph with my Honda pro mower no problem at all, it isn't difficult.

I only chose the lawnflite to show that 30" is not about the max as you stated also I could have said ferris/scag/bolens but didn't bother other large walk behind mowers are available and much wider than 30".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I just picked up a Toro turfmaster which is same as timemaster with a 30inch deck walk behind machine that is self propelled. Bought off DoneDeal for 1k. Only 1yr domestic use.

Suits me as not a ride to store and transport to a mechanic with trailer etc when it breaks. Can get it into the wife's hatchback if I need to move it.

Only cut grass once so far with it. 0.5acre took me under an hour. I am on sloping ground. Not sure I would recommend it for sloping ground to someone else even though I am happy enough.

Lawn mowing time calculator here http://www.anycalculator.com/lawnmowingtimecalculator.html

49801 wrote: »
    I just picked up a Toro turfmaster which is same as timemaster with a 30inch deck walk behind machine that is self propelled. Bought off DoneDeal for 1k. Only 1yr domestic use.

Suits me as not a ride to store and transport to a mechanic with trailer etc when it breaks. Can get it into the wife's hatchback if I need to move it.

Only cut grass once so far with it. 0.5acre took me under an hour. I am on sloping ground. Not sure I would recommend it for sloping ground to someone else even though I am happy enough.

Lawn mowing time calculator here http://www.anycalculator.com/lawnmowingtimecalculator.html

Yes the turfmaster is the "pro" version of the timemaster.

I can do 3.5 mph with my Honda pro mower no problem at all, it isn't difficult.

How is that mower for mulching say once a week in the middle of summer wet or dry. What model do you have?

• Advertisement

How is that mower for mulching say once a week in the middle of summer wet or dry. What model do you have?

I have the hrh536hx which doesn't mulch but can collect grass in the pouring rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

In the market for a first ride on so a bit of advice welcome. Max budget is approx 4K but that's really stretching it so want to make sure I make the right choice.

Was looking at a John Deere X155R new from a local dealer who said he'd sell it for €3999 which seems a decent price compared to what I've seen elsewhere.

Has anyone any experience with this model?

Also have the option of a second hand Snapper RD2040, hours approx 150. Asking price is €3200. Seems a lot for a second hand machine but to be honest I have no idea if that's a good deal or not, couldn't find any info on this machine value, reliability or otherwise.

Would be leaning toward a new machine on that alone but hate making decision based on lack of information, would like to know what I'm turning down before I do!

Any advice really appreciated on either machine. Any recommendations for something better in the same price range welcome too.

Cheers

DamoKen wrote: »
    In the market for a first ride on so a bit of advice welcome. Max budget is approx 4K but that's really stretching it so want to make sure I make the right choice.

Was looking at a John Deere X155R new from a local dealer who said he'd sell it for €3999 which seems a decent price compared to what I've seen elsewhere.

Has anyone any experience with this model?

Also have the option of a second hand Snapper RD2040, hours approx 150. Asking price is €3200. Seems a lot for a second hand machine but to be honest I have no idea if that's a good deal or not, couldn't find any info on this machine value, reliability or otherwise.

Would be leaning toward a new machine on that alone but hate making decision based on lack of information, would like to know what I'm turning down before I do!

Any advice really appreciated on either machine. Any recommendations for something better in the same price range welcome too.

Cheers
    The JD is american manufactured, in Tennesee y'all. Electric clutch, its not a badged generic, Good price but a bit light at 16.8HP motor for such a wide cut at 107cm, if you were contracting, but plenty power for home use. The used snapper also American, electric clutch, 20HP. The JD will last for years and be worth at least a grand+ in 10 years time. The ad I linked a few posts ago has a 1999 version of this for sale, the guy is holding out for €1600.

The JD is american manufactured, in Tennesee y'all. Electric clutch, its not a badged generic, Good price but a bit light at 16.8HP motor for such a wide cut at 107cm, if you were contracting, but plenty power for home use. The used snapper also American, electric clutch, 20HP. The JD will last for years and be worth at least a grand+ in 10 years time. The ad I linked a few posts ago has a 1999 version of this for sale, the guy is holding out for €1600.

Cheers Deezell, so would you recommend going for the JD new instead of the used snapper? Seller of the snapper is my next door neighbour and has said he'd give it to me for €3000, said it cost him €6800 8 years back and is in perfect nick housed in a water proof shed, serviced, cleaned etc regularly.

Cheers Deezell, so would you recommend going for the JD new instead of the used snapper? Seller of the snapper is my next door neighbour and has said he'd give it to me for €3000, said it cost him €6800 8 years back and is in perfect nick housed in a water proof shed, serviced, cleaned etc regularly.

4k brand new warranty v. 3k 8 year old no warranty. Older mower will produce a non service bill sooner rather than later. Steering suspension joints, starter motor, transmission, belts, clutch. Who knows, but if you're not into dismantling and fixing yourself its as costly as car repairs. Would you pay 24k for a new 2017 regular car or 18k for a higher end 2009 with no warranty and 80,000 on the clock? Have a real good look it and judge the build quality v the JD. Wheels, front axle, deck, belts, levers fittings. It would want to be commercial grade for that price. Your neighbour, your call!

4k brand new warranty v. 3k 8 year old no warranty. Older mower will produce a non service bill sooner rather than later. Steering suspension joints, starter motor, transmission, belts, clutch. Who knows, but if you're not into dismantling and fixing yourself its as costly as car repairs. Would you pay 24k for a new 2017 regular car or 18k for a higher end 2009 with no warranty and 80,000 on the clock? Have a real good look it and judge the build quality v the JD. Wheels, front axle, deck, belts, levers fittings. It would want to be commercial grade for that price. Your neighbour, your call!

Was thinking along those lines, lot of money for a second hand when for another 1K I get a two year warranty. Without experience in the area hard to tell if I'm giving up on a good deal or paying well over the odds. He's giving me a loan to test drive so to speak, will make up my mind after that.

Cheers

Damien

Was thinking along those lines, lot of money for a second hand when for another 1K I get a two year warranty. Without experience in the area hard to tell if I'm giving up on a good deal or paying well over the odds. He's giving me a loan to test drive so to speak, will make up my mind after that.

Cheers

Damien
    Ask the JD dealer what he would give you as trade in for the Snapper, get a better feel for its value. TBH, If you don't want to push the boat out financially, the used JD on Adverts I linked a few post ago would be a better buy, he's looking 1600, turned down 1500 which I thought was mad, but it can't be much more than that to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone out there have a castlegarden twin cut plus ??

just want to know where the box full sensor is situated ...for the life of me i can't find it when i lift up the box :confused:

fryup wrote: »
    anyone out there have a castlegarden twin cut plus ??

just want to know where the box full sensor is situated ...for the life of me i can't find it when i lift up the box :confused:

Isn't it a little lever attached to a switch that the grass drops off until the grass box is full then the build up of grass on it tips it and it and switches the grass box full buzzer/light on.

On other mowers its normally situated just below the chute where the grass exits to the grass box.

Is the manual for yours here http://www.castelgarden.com/support/owner-manuals.html ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Just wondering if it is worth taking my mower in to be looked at? It's a basic Hyundai model, got it almost 4yrs ago for around €100. Now, it starts ok, but cuts out after a couple of minutes. Leave it for an hour or so and it starts again then cuts out etc.

• Advertisement

mel.b wrote: »
    Just wondering if it is worth taking my mower in to be looked at? It's a basic Hyundai model, got it almost 4yrs ago for around €100. Now, it starts ok, but cuts out after a couple of minutes. Leave it for an hour or so and it starts again then cuts out etc.

Remove carburettor bowel and clean out it and float and float valve. Also check for sufficient flow from the tank. Most likely a bit of dirt is blocking the petrol feed to or from the bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

mel.b wrote: »
    Just wondering if it is worth taking my mower in to be looked at? It's a basic Hyundai model, got it almost 4yrs ago for around ?100. Now, it starts ok, but cuts out after a couple of minutes. Leave it for an hour or so and it starts again then cuts out etc.

Ask your local repairer. Mine charges €30 for a complete carburettor & tank clean plus a new plug.

Sounds like the fuel filter needs replacing.

It could also be a problem with the choke

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

In the market for a self propelled, walk after lawnmower for a small 100m² garden.

currently looking at the husqvarna LC 140s for around the 300 mark. Anyone have any reservations about this one? It's probably a bit overkill but I prefer petrol over electric.

Something buy for life preferably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What is depreciation on tractor lawnmower like? bought brand new last year, used about 3 times to cut a small section, no longer required. It is Viking.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What is depreciation on tractor lawnmower like? bought brand new last year, used about 3 times to cut a small section, no longer required. It is Viking.

Depends on if you have a year of a 2 year warranty left. It's getting late in the year for selling, theres an awful lot of them in the ads, and it will be hard to sell a high price mower privately unless you have a dealers warranty that extends at least to next year's season. I'd guess a €3000 New mower might fetch €2500 with warranty after a year. If you bought from a mower dealer you might be better getting them to sell at a commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The rule of thumb is -25% the day you cut grass and -20% pa thereafter, wholly dependant on condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

big_show wrote: »
    In the market for a self propelled, walk after lawnmower for a small 100m² garden.

currently looking at the husqvarna LC 140s for around the 300 mark. Anyone have any reservations about this one? It's probably a bit overkill but I prefer petrol over electric.

Something buy for life preferably.
    If it a steel deck machine and you clean under the deck, paint a rustproofer expect 8/10 years. Alloy decks last forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cianoc07

Can anyone tell me what Viking lawnmowers are like...Reliability etc

Im looking at this model here

http://dermotcasey.com/product/mb-248-petrol-lawn-mower/

Remove carburettor bowel and clean out it and float and float valve. Also check for sufficient flow from the tank. Most likely a bit of dirt is blocking the petrol feed to or from the bowl.

Can't help noticing that you might have made a Freudian slip there and were perhaps thinking there might be sh!t in the carburetor.

• Advertisement

cianoc07 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what Viking lawnmowers are like...Reliability etc

Im looking at this model here

http://dermotcasey.com/product/mb-248-petrol-lawn-mower/

My sister has one with a drive on it. They are nice and light and start easy. Any Viking product I have had had been reliable. The only thing bad I can say if the grass is anyways long it doesn't leave a great finish.

Advertisement