Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My sister has one with a drive on it. They are nice and light and start easy. Any Viking product I have had had been reliable. The only thing bad I can say if the grass is anyways long it doesn't leave a great finish.

That's usually because the blade isn't sharp, the forward speed is too high or the vents in the grassbox are blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Are there electric ride on / tractor mowers in the market ?
    I only find one Ryobi model RM480E for sale in the US but nothing closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭deezell

my3cents wrote: »
    Can't help noticing that you might have made a Freudian slip there and were perhaps thinking there might be sh!t in the carburetor.

Haha, just noticed! Alas It's the fault of the T9 auto spell on my samsung phone. It has dropped me in the 'dirt' on more than one occasion. My sony Xperia was flawless in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but I'm sure someone will tell me if it is! Could someone in Kerry (Killorglin/Killarney/Tralee location), reccomend someone for servicing tractor mower, not going back to dealer i bought it from, not overly impressed with service last year. Is servicing one that complicated? Also, I'm looking for a tyre pressure guage for the mower as well - any reccomendations on where I'd get one? Car pressure guage doesn't go high enough. Thanks in advance.

bsb1971 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but I'm sure someone will tell me if it is! Could someone in Kerry (Killorglin/Killarney/Tralee location), reccomend someone for servicing tractor mower, not going back to dealer i bought it from, not overly impressed with service last year. Is servicing one that complicated? Also, I'm looking for a tyre pressure guage for the mower as well - any reccomendations on where I'd get one? Car pressure guage doesn't go high enough. Thanks in advance.

If it's just oil and filter change thats not a big job. Properly it should include belt and blade inspection with tension adjustment and replacement if required or recommended. Blades sharpened and balanced if required, replaced if badly worn or damaged. Greasing of chain drive if fitted, greasing of steering if nipples fitted. Clean/replace air filter and adjust tyre pressure. Any car pocket pressure gauge will do, the pressure will not be more than that of a car wheel. Recheck in spring. A full cleaning of engine bay, deck , chutes and grassbag also, with a lick of rust primer after cleaning a must for steel deck undersides, especially if the last mow of the season was wet and sticky. Deck height should checked for left to right evenness also. Full charge of the battery no harm before hibernation also, with a bit of vaseline on the terminals. Drain petrol and run until engine cuts will prevent lacquering of carburettor internals. Quite a bit of time if everything here and more is done, depending on the model, otherwise you'll be taking a chance of a breakdown in the early part of next season. Must be plenty of mower dealers in Kerry, find out what a service includes and compare prices I guess.

• Advertisement

I was thinking I'll change a Honda lawnmower for contracting. I was wondering what the difference between the HRD 536 and the hrh 536 was the price difference is €500 is there any good reason for buying the dearer one. HRH is 1800 and the HRD is 1300. The dealer tells me that he sells the HRD to lads that are contracting so I was going to go with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Shaunoc wrote: »
    Are there electric ride on / tractor mowers in the market ?
    I only find one Ryobi model RM480E for sale in the US but nothing closer to home.

If going electric why not robotic mower?

Found this via google: http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/riders/battery-rider/967187001/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If going electric why not robotic mower?

Found this via google: http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/riders/battery-rider/967187001/

Etesia do a battery ride on.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Shefwedfan -> certainly an option. and I have been following the robo mower thread and see the advantages.
    There is still some satisfaction in getting out there and doing it yourself. Just checking around, it's a decision for next year

Shaunoc wrote: »
    Shefwedfan -> certainly an option. and I have been following the robo mower thread and see the advantages.
    There is still some satisfaction in getting out there and doing it yourself. Just checking around, it's a decision for next year

I get that, also a bit of fun flying around on a mower.

I am trying to go electric on everything so a swap from petrol to electric for mower might be idea. I wonder how good they are.

Never knew they done ride on electric mowers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭cena

Are Viking lawnmowers any good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

cena wrote: »
    Are Viking lawnmowers any good

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Hope I can get some help here. I've a Castlegarden TX 122 ride on. The drive belt broken a few weeks ago and I've just fitted the new belt. Started the engine and it's running fine but it still won't drive.
    We I go onto the forward/reverse pedal the neutral light goes out but it's not budging.

The freewheel switch is off.

Any ideas? I hope the transmission isn't gone!!

Hope I can get some help here. I've a Castlegarden TX 122 ride on. The drive belt broken a few weeks ago and I've just fitted the new belt. Started the engine and it's running fine but it still won't drive.
    We I go onto the forward/reverse pedal the neutral light goes out but it's not budging.

The freewheel switch is off.

Any ideas? I hope the transmission isn't gone!!

Have you checked the path of the belt is correct and the belt is tensioned. If the belt is loose it will just slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

deezell wrote: »
    Have you checked the path of the belt is correct and the belt is tensioned. If the belt is loose it will just slip.

Wasn't routed round one part correctly. The previous belt snapped so I didn't know exactly how it was routed. Delighted, didn't fancy having to put it in somewhere and spending money needed for other stuff. Cheers for your reply.

What is cruise control on newer hydrostatic drive ride on mowers?

I'd presume it goes without the pedal pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Google says................
    http://blog.hondalawnparts.com/what-is-hondas-cruise-control-hydrostatic-transmission/

dieselbug wrote: »

That's the only link I could find also, but it really just explains hydrostatic drive, not the cruise control, and it only relates to walk behind, not ride-on. It probably does mean being able to take your foot off the pedal while the pedal position and speed remains static, just like a car. This implies that on non cruise control ride-ons you have to keep the pedal held down at your chosen speed at all times, lift it and the mower slows. I've not tried out a hydrostatic drive ride-on but I'm guessing this is the case. I'm used to a 5 speed box where you don't need to pedal until you change gear. You can relax the old feet for 2 to 3 laps until emptying the bag. Having to keep a constant pressure on a foot pedal on bumps and ruts sounds tiring. I'll be lookng closely at some new mowers soon, as Larry (the lawnmower) is heading for his 20th and might be due a retirement to a nice flat 1/2 acre somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lads, nightmare situation here, bought a brand new Viking 5112z in April last year. Barely over a year old and its been stolen from my garage. 3400 down the drain.

I'm looking at replacing but wonder if the UK/NI is worth looking at? My brother is buying a strimmer for 174GBP (193 euro at the minute) that is 350 euro in our local builders providers which are generally keenly priced as we're near the border.

Has anyone seen anything online? I've a large area to cut of about half an acre at least.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    Lads, nightmare situation here, bought a brand new Viking 5112z in April last year. Barely over a year old and its been stolen from my garage. 3400 down the drain.

I'm looking at replacing but wonder if the UK/NI is worth looking at? My brother is buying a strimmer for 174GBP (193 euro at the minute) that is 350 euro in our local builders providers which are generally keenly priced as we're near the border.

Has anyone seen anything online? I've a large area to cut of about half an acre at least.

Thieving knickers probably reading this thread waiting for you to get a new one! Maybe buy a used one. Keep an eye on Donedeal, Adverts.ie and Gumtree.ie for your own.

Thieving knickers probably reading this thread waiting for you to get a new one! Maybe buy a used one. Keep an eye on Donedeal, Adverts.ie and Gumtree.ie for your own.

I've upped the security around the house and am getting electric gates installed. They managed to get the garage roller door that was locked open and then free wheeled the mower down the drive. There was no key in it.

Garda told me a good trick (that I'll do in future) is to park one of your cars in front of the garage door. I'd advise anyone here to do it.

I've been looking at second hand but there doesn't seem to be great value. For example, there's a Castlegarden xdc 140 hd on Adverts near me that the seller says is three years old. They retail for 2450 new with no discount. I'd expect most places to give a bit of discount.

Seller is looking for 1900 which I think is far too high. I think it should be more like 1500. Have offered 1400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Neighbor has the previous model, he's a maniac on a mower and if he hasn't broken it yet then it can't be that bad.

This seems to be a fantastic deal...

https://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/honda-hf-2417-hm-garden-tractor.html

3349 pounds is 3731 euro.

Would the Honda be better than the Viking though which I can get for 3350:

http://dermotcasey.com/product/viking-5112-z-ride-on-mower/

The Viking has a slightly wider deck - 43 inch vs 40. The Honda has the mulcher built in. With the Viking, its one of those annoying stick in plastic items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Lemlin,
    Commiserations on having the ride on stolen. I had heard recently that there was a spate of them in the Waterford area so it seems they are being targeted.

Can you let me know where you can get the Viking one for that money? I'm in the market for a ride on myself as the old one is bet and have just over an acre.

Roen wrote: »
    Lemlin,
    Commiserations on having the ride on stolen. I had heard recently that there was a spate of them in the Waterford area so it seems they are being targeted.

Can you let me know where you can get the Viking one for that money? I'm in the market for a ride on myself as the old one is bet and have just over an acre.

A builders providers local to me but I'll be honest, that price is on the basis that my brother and I buy off them regularly and we both bought the same Viking mower off them last year, so they know they'll be getting the servicing off us and got a near 7k sale of two mowers in one sale.

Have you done much research? I'm not wondering if the Honda above is a better option. I have emailed that UK supplier to find out how much shipping to ROI would be. They do mention that they can ship it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A builders providers local to me but I'll be honest, that price is on the basis that my brother and I buy off them regularly and we both bought the same Viking mower off them last year, so they know they'll be getting the servicing off us and got a near 7k sale of two mowers in one sale.

Have you done much research? I'm not wondering if the Honda above is a better option. I have emailed that UK supplier to find out how much shipping to ROI would be. They do mention that they can ship it here.

I've an older 12 year old version of that honda and its served me well very tough machine that has had constant use.

my3cents wrote: »
    I've an older 12 year old version of that honda and its served me well very tough machine that has had constant use.

The one thing about it is that it has a smaller cutting deck than the Viking but st more expensive.

• Advertisement

On lawnmowers been stolen, my house insurance has just come up for renewal and was doing a bit of ringing around. You need to be very careful on what is covered.

So my current insurance I confirmed it was covered last year. Was told no problem it was covered once I had locks on shed. Rang to renew and guy on phone said lawnmower wasn't covered as person had not taken model/serial etc

They are a bit higher so I rang around. Every insurer has different story and to be honest most of the people on phone don't seem to know the answer so expect to be put on hold alot. A good few will cover a set amount in shed, like 1k but that 1k is the total for shed. So I have bikes/drills etc so if everything taken I get 1k

A few didn't seem to want to know about sheds either

From what I hear there is a lot of lawnmowers been stolen in last few months so I would advise everyone to check house insurance and make sure person on phone knows what they are talking about......

Advertisement