Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Lemlin wrote: »
    A builders providers local to me but I'll be honest, that price is on the basis that my brother and I buy off them regularly and we both bought the same Viking mower off them last year, so they know they'll be getting the servicing off us and got a near 7k sale of two mowers in one sale.

Have you done much research? I'm not wondering if the Honda above is a better option. I have emailed that UK supplier to find out how much shipping to ROI would be. They do mention that they can ship it here.

Cheers, good to hear they are looking after you.

Not done a massive amount of research. Local place can do a Castelgarden PTX160HD for about €3000, but I don't recognise the engine in it (GGP). Would prefer to stick to B&S to guarantee parts down the line. That said I don't know if GGP are a 'name' or not within the industry, so more reading up needed.

Have you considered a smaller mower, or the holy grail, a robot mower?

The mower you had stolen seems to be specced for a 4 acre garden. It must have flown through the half acre or so you have.
    I have an old Viking 36" ride on and have about .75 acre of lawn. It takes about 1:10hr as the lawn is fairly featured so there's lots of manoeuvring. Add in the fact that I never mulch so there's a fair bit of back and forth to the heap up the back. If I was mulching I'd be done in 30 mins.

I don't think a robot would work for the lawn I have, however if your set up suits it would be a cheaper option by a grand or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Roen wrote: »
    Cheers, good to hear they are looking after you.

Not done a massive amount of research. Local place can do a Castelgarden PTX160HD for about €3000, but I don't recognise the engine in it (GGP). Would prefer to stick to B&S to guarantee parts down the line. That said I don't know if GGP are a 'name' or not within the industry, so more reading up needed.

Have you considered a smaller mower, or the holy grail, a robot mower?

The mower you had stolen seems to be specced for a 4 acre garden. It must have flown through the half acre or so you have.
    I have an old Viking 36" ride on and have about .75 acre of lawn. It takes about 1:10hr as the lawn is fairly featured so there's lots of manoeuvring. Add in the fact that I never mulch so there's a fair bit of back and forth to the heap up the back. If I was mulching I'd be done in 30 mins.

I don't think a robot would work for the lawn I have, however if your set up suits it would be a cheaper option by a grand or so!

What have you been quoted for the Viking? I had this dilemma last year between a Viking and Castelgarden and decided for the years I'll be using it not to scrimp on a few extra hundred.

My builders providers have me sworn to secrecy because they reckon there'd be war if it was revealed the price they were selling that mower at - if other sellers found out, they'd be straight onto the rep.

The Viking used to fly through my garden alright. I had the mulch plug - I still have it, the thieving b*stards left it behind - and used to mulch.

When mulching, I was generally cutting once at the weekend and once round the middle of the week if possible. I found it left the garden looking a lot greener and healthier looking.

I might go back to them and see what price they could quote seeing as it'll be the third mower coming to my family inside twelve months!!!

What have you been quoted for the Viking? I had this dilemma last year between a Viking and Castelgarden and decided for the years I'll be using it not to scrimp on a few extra hundred.

My builders providers have me sworn to secrecy because they reckon there'd be war if it was revealed the price they were selling that mower at - if other sellers found out, they'd be straight onto the rep.

The Viking used to fly through my garden alright. I had the mulch plug - I still have it, the thieving b*stards left it behind - and used to mulch.

When mulching, I was generally cutting once at the weekend and once round the middle of the week if possible. I found it left the garden looking a lot greener and healthier looking.

I might go back to them and see what price they could quote seeing as it'll be the third mower coming to my family inside twelve months!!!

I haven't got any quotes on the Viking stuff from dealers yet, just window shopping online at the mo. Only quote I got is for the PTX160HD.

I thought they were all made by Castelgarden anyway, or is it Al-Ko that make them and they just get re-badged? Was talking to the local lad that repairs them and he was filling me in. Can't quite recall who makes who.

Best of luck in your search!
    R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Roen wrote: »
    I haven't got any quotes on the Viking stuff from dealers yet, just window shopping online at the mo. Only quote I got is for the PTX160HD.

I thought they were all made by Castelgarden anyway, or is it Al-Ko that make them and they just get re-badged? Was talking to the local lad that repairs them and he was filling me in. Can't quite recall who makes who.

Best of luck in your search!
    R.

Viking is made by Stihl

They use Briggs & Statton engine which the majority of vendors use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭deezell

......I've been looking at second hand but there doesn't seem to be great value. For example, there's a Castlegarden xdc 140 hd .....
    ....Seller is looking for 1900 which I think is far too high. I think it should be more like 1500. Have offered 1400.

Price too high and mower a lot smaller than your nicked Viking, 36" v. 43" and 13.5 horses v. 23. 36" mowers sell in the chain stores under lots of brands for close to 2k, that one new is 2350 in McLaughlins in Birr. 3 years depreciation close to half new price using rule of thumb, if he takes your €1400 he's doing well.
    McLaughlins have a 48" Castelgarden PTX 170HD with 16.5hp B&S engine, €2995. Castelgarden , Stiga, Alpine are more or less the same, John Deere badged Castelgarden also in the past when it was an economy brand. Seems to be premium now. Mines nearly 20 years old.

• Advertisement

There's also this 15.hp B&S Lawnflite 105cm,
    http://www.jdslawnmowers.ie/ride-ons/Lawnflite-mtd/LAWNFLITE-41-INCH-CUT-TRANSMATIC-6-SPEED
    A lot of mower for €2550, transmatic instead of hydrostatic which is some kind of variator speed control. Same mower from Newry badged LawnKing is €2450 delivered anywhere in Ireland. http://www.amrentals.ie/Ride_on_Lawnmowers/lawn-king-rn145.htm
    Here it is again from MTD Ireland for £ 1930, less than €2200 if you use commission fee payment like transfermate. Delivery cost not specified.
    http://irishmowers.com/lawn-king-ride-on-mowers.html

deezell wrote: »
    There's also this 15.hp B&S Lawnflite 105cm,
    http://www.jdslawnmowers.ie/ride-ons/Lawnflite-mtd/LAWNFLITE-41-INCH-CUT-TRANSMATIC-6-SPEED
    A lot of mower for €2550, transmatic instead of hydrostatic which is some kind of variator speed control. Same mower from Newry badged LawnKing is €2450 delivered anywhere in Ireland. http://www.amrentals.ie/Ride_on_Lawnmowers/lawn-king-rn145.htm
    Here it is again from MTD Ireland for £ 1930, less than €2200 if you use commission fee payment like transfermate. Delivery cost not specified.
    http://irishmowers.com/lawn-king-ride-on-mowers.html

Thanks for the tips. Some good mowers there.

The one problem I can see with those is no mulcher mentioned and I mulch the grass a lot because I don't like collecting. The 240 litre grass collector is also small for my garden.

My local builders providers have offered this for 2900 (seems to be selling for 2499GBP in most UK places):

http://www.sam-turner.co.uk/garden-machinery/al-ko-lawn-tractor-powerline-t16-102hd.html#.WXePb7pFzcs

The cutting deck is slightly smaller than the Viking (41 inch vs 43) and the grass collector 50 litres smaller but it has the exact same enginer.

The lad there reckons they are Austrian built German design and a good mower.

Same engine as the Viking I had.

Thanks for the tips. Some good mowers there.

The one problem I can see with those is no mulcher mentioned and I mulch the grass a lot because I don't like collecting. The 240 litre grass collector is also small for my garden.

My local builders providers have offered this for 2900 (seems to be selling for 2499GBP in most UK places):

http://www.sam-turner.co.uk/garden-machinery/al-ko-lawn-tractor-powerline-t16-102hd.html#.WXePb7pFzcs

The cutting deck is slightly smaller than the Viking (41 inch vs 43) and the grass collector 50 litres smaller but it has the exact same enginer.

The lad there reckons they are Austrian built German design and a good mower.

Same engine as the Viking I had.

Listed in a survey I seen somewhere as one of the best, Austrian made and no parts outsourced. That model is 3500 in Donegans, 2900 sounds like a bargain, though £2500 is only €2800 at the mo if you use a money transfer service and can find it in Norn iron for that price delivered.
    Your local dealer is a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Listed in a survey I seen somewhere as one of the best, Austrian made and no parts outsourced. That model is 3500 in Donegans, 2900 sounds like a bargain, though £2500 is only €2800 at the mo if you use a money transfer service and can find it in Norn iron for that price delivered.
    Your local dealer is a better bet.

Viking are actually built for them by Al-KO

Needles73 wrote: »
    Viking are actually built for them by Al-KO

I thought Viking were built by Stihl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

I thought Viking were built by Stihl

Stihl own Viking who get AL-KO to make them.

Needles73 wrote: »
    Stihl own Viking who get AL-KO to make them.

Well there's a €550 difference between that AL-KO and the Viking 5112 for me. Problem is, I'm worried if I go with the AL-KO and it doesn't match the Viking I had, will I end up rueing not paying the extra €550 now for the next ten years!?

I wouldn't mind a change though. I spoke to a lawnmower mechanic this evening. He reckons he would put Kubota as the top mower and then Viking and John Deere close second. There's a John Deere dealer near me so will have a look tomorrow. Kubota are out of my price range.

He didn't rate the Hondas at all.

My budget is about €3500 and I want a machine that has a mulching option.

Is the Al-Ko not a bit under powered for the size of the deck? 14hp if the 10.5Kw output is correct.
    My own 36" is 13.5hp and it could use a bit more in my opinion.
    That said it's ten years old and received dogs abuse by the look of it so there's no guessing how much of that hp is getting to the blades and wheels at this stage.

Well there's a €550 difference between that AL-KO and the Viking 5112......My budget is about €3500 and I want a machine that has a mulching option.

The two mowers seem identical except for deck width, though there's 3 not 2 inches difference in the cutting width, 102cm v 110cm. A 102cm mower is a 40" mower. You might find it annoying that your mowing rate seems reduced . Engine power not an issue, you can't compare a single cylinder engine to a twin even if they are nominally rated the same hp, the twin is miles better at handling sudden heavy loading. If the mowers are actually that closely related, it's possible your mulch plug which you still have will fit the al-ko, saving a few bob.

The two mowers seem identical except for deck width, though there's 3 not 2 inches difference in the cutting width, 102cm v 110cm. A 102cm mower is a 40" mower. You might find it annoying that your mowing rate seems reduced . Engine power not an issue, you can't compare a single cylinder engine to a twin even if they are nominally rated the same hp, the twin is miles better at handling sudden heavy loading. If the mowers are actually that closely related, it's possible your mulch plug which you still have will fit the al-ko, saving a few bob.

The grass collector on the AL-KO is smaller but that won't bother me much because I mulch mainly... its 300 litres vs 350 in the Viking.

The mulch plug from the Viking won't fit. I already asked the question! That said, I'll have to sell the mulch plug anyway because a new Viking would come with a mulch plug free and I'd get no money off for not taking it!

Are the decks on the two mowers identical other than the size? That's the one thing the lawnmower mechanic said to me. The Viking have a very strong deck.

Well there's a €550 difference between that AL-KO and the Viking 5112 for me. Problem is, I'm worried if I go with the AL-KO and it doesn't match the Viking I had, will I end up rueing not paying the extra €550 now for the next ten years!?

I wouldn't mind a change though. I spoke to a lawnmower mechanic this evening. He reckons he would put Kubota as the top mower and then Viking and John Deere close second. There's a John Deere dealer near me so will have a look tomorrow. Kubota are out of my price range.

He didn't rate the Hondas at all.

My budget is about €3500 and I want a machine that has a mulching option.

What is the actual size of the lawn. If you are mulching get a push mower and keep you money. People think push mowers are crap because of all the cheap under powered brands out there.

If it's around 2000sq m a honda hrx will cut it in under an hour €1300. Ride on are for big flat areas 3000sq m plus

.....If it's around 2000sq m a honda hrx will cut it in under an hour. Ride on are for big flat areas 3000sq m plus
    With a half metre cut thats a 4 kilometre walk, plus turning, bag emptying. That'll keep you fit alright.

What is the actual size of the lawn. If you are mulching get a push mower and keep you money. People think push mowers are crap because of all the cheap under powered brands out there.

If it's around 2000sq m a honda hrx will cut it in under an hour €1300. Ride on are for big flat areas 3000sq m plus

The site including area around house is just under an acre so I'd guess the lawn is at least half an acre to 0.75.

I've tried it with a push mulcher before. I had one before I shelled out for the tractor mower. It was taking far too long.

The latest update: offered a second hand Viking 6112c for €2950 this evening. Apparently a 2014 machine with only 26 hours on the clock. They retail for about €4000 new.

The hours seem very low for a mower that did two seasons but apparently the owner worked a long commute and changed it for a diesel Kubota because he couldn't mow wet grass with it.

The latest update: offered a second hand Viking 6112c for €2950 this evening. Apparently a 2014 machine with only 26 hours on the clock. They retail for about €4000 new.

The hours seem very low for a mower that did two seasons but apparently the owner worked a long commute and changed it for a diesel Kubota because he couldn't mow wet grass with it.
    Plenty of people with houses on a half acre, about 60% in grass, which is only 1200-1400 sq metres. You'd cut that in 20 minutes. 13 hours on the mower equals up to 39 mowings, more than a seasins worth.

• Advertisement

Plenty of people with houses on a half acre, about 60% in grass, which is only 1200-1400 sq metres. You'd cut that in 20 minutes. 13 hours on the mower equals up to 39 mowings, more than a seasins worth.

Opinions on the price at 2950 for second hand?

Opinions on the price at 2950 for second hand?

Low hours is the reason. Like car milage. Plastic still on the seat!

I'm just thinking a guy who only clocked up 26 hours mowing in 2014, 2015, 2016 and most of this year bought a new Diesel Kubota? That's a contractors machine. Should be doing 26 hours every week, not in 4 years. Have you seen the price of them?

I'm just thinking a guy who only clocked up 26 hours mowing in 2014, 2015, 2016 and most of this year bought a new Diesel Kubota? That's a contractors machine. Should be doing 26 hours every week, not in 4 years. Have you seen the price of them?

Apparently he bought the Kubota because he was working a long commute and not getting a chance to cut the grass because of weather. The Kubota he got at 7k will cut wet grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Tbh he's entitled to buy what he likes, and honestly commercial grade doesn't really kick in under €10-15k.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Tbh he's entitled to buy what he likes, and honestly commercial grade doesn't really kick in under €10-15k.

Course he is. Sometimes the simpler machine is a better choice for domestic use. Speaking of wet cutting, a Viking owner I spoke to swears by its ability to cut and fill the bag even if raining. Higher spec Vikings are used commercially, warranty is adjusted accordingly. They give 5 years for domestic use, 1 for commercial.

Looking for a bit of advice, young lad was on mower earlier and hit a clump of soil with rocks. Awful noise came out.

Anyway checked underneath and now both blades are inline with each other and should be at 90 degree angle.

I put the mower up and opened the screw but I can't move it around. When you push one it moves the other. I checked manual and there is f**k all in it but points towards a belt loosener but tried this and still the same...

Looks like I have to do something else. The place I bought it is miles away and I dont have a way to transport.

Everything else thank god looks ok, took a small chuck out of the mulch kit but nothing else. Probably need to sharpen the blade but all else working.....

Any ideas, it is Viking 5112z.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice, young lad was on mower earlier and hit a clump of soil with rocks. Awful noise came out.

Anyway checked underneath and now both blades are inline with each other and should be at 90 degree angle.

I put the mower up and opened the screw but I can't move it around. When you push one it moves the other. I checked manual and there is f**k all in it but points towards a belt loosener but tried this and still the same...

Looks like I have to do something else. The place I bought it is miles away and I dont have a way to transport.

Everything else thank god looks ok, took a small chuck out of the mulch kit but nothing else. Probably need to sharpen the blade but all else working.....

Not a clue on that mower specifically but if you take the belt cover off the deck are their two belts? One that goes to the engine to power the blades and anther shorter one that goes between just the blades often a toothed belt that is a "timing belt".

If you have two belts then its the timing belt that needs slackening off first or removing before you can adjust the blades.

With most single belt machines the blades are offset so they can't touch.

my3cents wrote: »
    Not a clue on that mower specifically but if you take the belt cover off the deck are their two belts? One that goes to the engine to power the blades and anther shorter one that goes between just the blades often a toothed belt that is a "timing belt".

If you have two belts then its the timing belt that needs slackening off first or removing before you can adjust the blades.

With most single belt machines the blades are offset so they can't touch.

From looking at manual it is single belt. Manual says they should be at circa 90 degree.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Check the blade bosses/ bushes to see if the blade locating lugs have sheared off, causing one or both blades to rotate out of alignment. They look like this
    http://dermotcasey.com/product/viking-blade-boss-6360-702-5001/
    You'll need to replace them if they have. If both blades move when you turn one the timing belt is still intact, but might need to be checked for damage.

Advertisement