Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Squatman wrote: »
    what are peoples opinions on a castlegarden xdc150. have my eye on one for sale at the moment, would it be sufficient for up to an acre?

A couple of post back and you have reference to Castlegarden....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

red sean wrote: »
    I posted this a few posts back in reply to someone else:

that guy is probably looking at the same ad. :) what engine is in it, its not the B&S ? i came across a website that was saying they no longer stock them cos the "entry spec machines" such as this one are manufactured in China, and rife with problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Hi,

Looking for an advice please...

The garden isn't too big - 100 Sq M. I bought an electic lawnmower last year which did the job. I read here that if you have a mulching mower and leave the cut grass in the garden, its good for the grass. I see there are plenty of petrol lawnmower for sale on adverts starting from €50 and going up to €1K ish. Should I buy used or I'm better off buying a new one? I've no idea about the brand, size or specs therefore any advice to point me in the right direction will be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

Bought I house in the last few months big enough garden on halfacre site. I've asked around and pepole have recommended getting ride on.
    Would it be worth my while going on Dne Deal for a second halfone or is it not worth the hassle and should I just fork out for for a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

Where are you located ?

• Advertisement

sheelbee wrote:
    Where are you located ?

Not sure who you asked but I'm in Dublin.

bbari wrote: »
    Not sure who you asked but I'm in Dublin.

Try Fairyhouse motors they always have a good selection of second hands

Thanks for that. Funny you mentioned that as I was thinking about going to Fairyhouse market hoping to find one there. I had plan to go there last week but Gardai raided the market! Do you think there are some for sale in market as well ?

Thanks for that. Funny you mentioned that as I was thinking about going to Fairyhouse market hoping to find one there. I had plan to go there last week but Gardai raided the market! Do you think there are some for sale in market as well ?

On Fairyhouse road is a dealer. They do husq etc.....

They do have a large selection of second hand

Anything in the market is robbed from someone so I would never buy anything off them

https://rideonmowersireland.com/

sheelbee wrote: »
    Try Fairyhouse motors they always have a good selection of second hands

I called 'em and they don't have any secondhand ones.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    On Fairyhouse road is a dealer. They do husq etc.....

They do have a large selection of second hand

Anything in the market is robbed from someone so I would never buy anything off them

https://rideonmowersireland.com/
    Its the same as Fairyhouse Motors and they don't have any second hand for sale

Its the same as Fairyhouse Motors and they don't have any second hand for sale

You posted at same time as I did....:p

Try Leinster garden machinery in Trim, ask for Derek.

sheelbee wrote: »
    Try Leinster garden machinery in Trim, ask for Derek.

Thanks for that, spoke with Derek (lovely guy). He doesn't have anything either but he said he will give me a call in a week or two when he gets something in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I bought a john deere x125 last year second hand as we bought a house with a big garden 1.5-2 acres. Its a briggs and stratton engine 15hp and a 42" deck.Got it on donedeal for 800 and it hasnt missed a beat apart from me hopping it off a path and breaking the front deck support!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭deezell

dar_cool wrote: »
    I bought a john deere x125 last year second hand as we bought a house with a big garden 1.5-2 acres. Its a briggs and stratton engine 15hp and a 42" deck.Got it on donedeal for 800 and it hasnt missed a beat apart from me hopping it off a path and breaking the front deck support!!

That's not a bagger mower though, it's a side chute?. Do you have a lot of cuttings on the grass during heavy spring growth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Its a mulcher yeah, as long as the blades are sharp you wouldn't notice any clumps. I didnt want to bag it as I have alot of grass to cut.

PIORUN wrote: »
    Bought I house in the last few months big enough garden on halfacre site. I've asked around and pepole have recommended getting ride on.
    Would it be worth my while going on Dne Deal for a second halfone or is it not worth the hassle and should I just fork out for for a new one?

Half an acre site taking out house and drive is not big enough for a ride on. Spend €800-€1000 on a professional 21 inch push mower. Honda, Husqvarna Rover etc. Easy to maintain and will last you 10 years easy without any trouble. It will be about half a litre of petrol to mow the lawn. And you will do it in an hour.

I have a Honda that does 5 kmph. It's half a square metre so you will cover 2500 sq m in an hour in theory.. 1500 sq m to 2000 sq m in reality.

People reckon you need a ride on because the only push mower they ever used is some €300 heap out of woodiez

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭leroypatches

Any thoughts on this?:

http://products.einhell.com/com_en/garden/lawn-mower/gc-pm-46-1-s-b-s.html

Briggs and Stratton 500 Series engine any good?

140 sq m garden

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭deezell

Any thoughts on this?:

http://products.einhell.com/com_en/garden/lawn-mower/gc-pm-46-1-s-b-s.html

Briggs and Stratton 500 Series engine any good?

140 sq m garden
    Solid German brand, the bigger 21" Electric start model is on display in Chadwicks, very solid looking. Go have a look to judge quality, also check out their smaller Hyundai models, you don't need to overspend with 140m2. I've seen great garden tool deals on this site, I wonder has anyone here ordered from them?
    https://ie.wellindal.com/garden/einhell/p-45453?r=4006825598483&gclid=CjwKCAiAt8TUBRAKEiwAOI9pAP0g7KOM15eo7hqW5mrf8N52T76b21lEH6zaAbqh-xoDNx157RKDRxoC7ukQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Advertisement

Had saw it here: http://www.mydiy.ie/products/einhell-gc-pm-461-s-bands-self-propelled-lawnmower-petrol-125cc-4-stroke.html for €330 with free delivery. That one is €280 and seems to be €9 delivery so thanks a mil for that!

Had saw it here: http://www.mydiy.ie/products/einhell-gc-pm-461-s-bands-self-propelled-lawnmower-petrol-125cc-4-stroke.html for €330 with free delivery. That one is €280 and seems to be €9 delivery so thanks a mil for that!

I remember seeing this make on Amazon couple of days ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-Propelled-Petrol-Lawnmower-Cutting/dp/B00TIQVPAQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1519558859&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=petrol+lawnmower&psc=1

I think its the same as you linked. works under €250.

EDIT: "Sorry, this item can't be sent to your selected address"

I remember seeing this make on Amazon couple of days ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-Propelled-Petrol-Lawnmower-Cutting/dp/B00TIQVPAQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1519558859&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=petrol+lawnmower&psc=1

I think its the same as you linked. works under €250.

EDIT: "Sorry, this item can't be sent to your selected address"

Thanks. It’s also a slightly cheap model. Mydiy.ie has that one too. Only difference seems to be that the one you linked doesn’t have a Briggs and Stratton engine but an Einhell own brand engine. Possibly just as good?

Thanks. It’s also a slightly cheap model. Mydiy.ie has that one too. Only difference seems to be that the one you linked doesn’t have a Briggs and Stratton engine but an Einhell own brand engine. Possibly just as good?

I don't know much about lawnmowers but I see everyone recommends B&S and Honda engines. I'm also in the market looking for one with the mulch function but I don't want to spend more than €150 as garden is only 100 M2.

Briggs engine parts are always available. It's the rest of the machine would give me concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Half an acre site taking out house and drive is not big enough for a ride on. Spend €800-€1000 on a professional 21 inch push mower......
    I'd agree but in fairness it's not just about the size of the lawn. If your not in a position to lawn it once or twice a week a push mower is not ideal when it gets overgrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Hi interesting thread.
    I've about half an acre that'll need grass cutting by myself, money stretched at the moment so that's a given.
    I'm not in a position to buy a ride on, even second hand so I'm looking for a cheap self propelled alternative to do me for the next year or two.

I was at B&Q today and saw a Macallister self propelled at €376. It mulches, bags and side dispatches, comes with a Honda 160cc engine, a 51 cm cutting area. Would a mower like this cut the mustard so to speak and roughly how long would a half acre take? I'm not too pushed about having a ' lawn', just once I can keep it maintained I'll be happy with that.
    Any other models in this bracket and for this job ye would recommend I'd be grateful.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

... And I've just seen the other thread about B&Q selling ****e.... 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Does anyone know if Husqvarna decks are interchangeable? I've an old mover with side discharge and a new one with rear chute discharge. Both are electric engage.

• Advertisement

Advertisement