Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭deezell

50cm cut with b&s 625 engine is a lot for 399. Deck is probably cheapish generic. If you could see one first.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

There is on for sale on DoneDeal for €250 in Carlow. I would have bought if it was any closer.

bbari wrote: »
    There is on for sale on DoneDeal for €250 in Carlow. I would have bought if it was any closer.

He's not going to get €250 presented in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

Before you buy tell them you have that particular mower and need a blade for it. If they have one then buy if not forget it.

deezell wrote: »
    He's not going to get €250 presented in that state.

I don't know why one couldn't wash it, take nicer pics and then put it up for sale.
    sheelbee wrote: »
    Before you buy tell them you have that particular mower and need a blade for it. If they have one then buy if not forget it.

I called 'em and they do have the blade (Euro 56) and the other parts for it.

• Advertisement

€56 for a blade highway robbery.

This is the virtually identical generic mower , 625 engine, 50cm, World brand. They'll take half what your man is looking for.

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/20world-self-drive/18069037

Both of em are 1-2 hrs drive from Dublin. I should be able to find something closer to home.

Try gardenmachinery.ie

• Advertisement

Had saw it here: http://www.mydiy.ie/products/einhell-gc-pm-461-s-bands-self-propelled-lawnmower-petrol-125cc-4-stroke.html for €330 with free delivery. That one is €280 and seems to be €9 delivery so thanks a mil for that!

If you haven't ordered yet there's free delivery from Wellindal with coupon code WELL24.
    2_jgqIvODW9dJOgptQGdmoR0sJGmytifg7i3aATMdRRLW5h5JQjEY6U7y75kkZin8mxnMbHbyOP4ENTg0Jc0RENyO9EOjC7N7n-hNIGywnnv23bC_KrBwqpS-jr67ll3Cp9vGZn6KWZlGR4ycbSC2jclayobCqh9wiWbgQ=s0-d-e1-ft#https://dvyhdu6m3pgss.cloudfront.net/media/mailmarketing/20180228-5a965cc0863ed/wellindal/en/en_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

Does anybody have experience with Spear and Jackson lawnmowers? Seems to be a good price at €205 with a B&S engine

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=1226734

Dont have a very big garden so size is good. Seems to have good reviews on argos.co.uk.

derekbro wrote: »
    Does anybody have experience with Spear and Jackson lawnmowers? Seems to be a good price at €205 with a B&S engine

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=1226734

Dont have a very big garden so size is good. Seems to have good reviews on argos.co.uk.
    Is it a cheapo generic though? Woodies have a 41cm 125cc B&S pro-lawn for €199, doesn't take a lot of searching to find disgruntled users. It's never the B&S engine, but all the other bits, especially wheels cables and levers, which seem to be poor on these rock bottom machines. Argos seem to have a better looking Spear&Jackson 41cm, product 759/7004, but it'll set you back €289. If it were possible to compare the build of the 2, but they're never on display in Argos. It depends on how you treat it. It might last for decades if your lawn is smooth and you have a light touch. A contractor should manage to break it in a week.

This is the virtually identical generic mower , 625 engine, 50cm, World brand. They'll take half what your man is looking for.

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/20world-self-drive/18069037

Any thoughts on this guys ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/18003712

Does it worth €150 - €180 ?

Any thoughts on this guys ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/18003712

Does it worth €150 - €180 ?

Elite sounds like a spurious Brand. Doesn't show up in a search, means its a cheap generic import. If its 41cm, then these can be got new for €200, see previous posts. After 2 years its worth half the new price, whatever that was and if it was a reasonably supported brand. €100? Find out cut width, where bought, new price.

deezell wrote:
    Elite sounds like a spurious Brand. Doesn't show up in a search, means its a cheap generic import. If its 41cm, then these can be got new for €200, see previous posts. After 2 years its worth half the new price, whatever that was and if it was a reasonably supported brand. €100? Find out cut width, where bought, new price.

Thanks. Google searches return Morrison brand. Bought new in Goffs Navan. Its 51cm not that i need a wide one for 100 sq M lawn. It mulches which is I'm after. I offered 100 and apparently I'm second in the queue.

Thanks. Google searches return Morrison brand. Bought new in Goffs Navan. Its 51cm not that i need a wide one for 100 sq M lawn. It mulches which is I'm after. I offered 100 and apparently I'm second in the queue.

I don't think for a minute that's a Morrison mower. Morrison is a higher end brand, and they give their different mowers a name.Surecut, Titan, Elite etc. The 21" Morrison Titan is a €560 mower. The Morrison Elite is a 46cm €500 push mower with an alloy deck. This thing in the ad is NOT a Morrison, but if it's a 51cm generic, badged with the name " Elite", it probably cost €300+ new, so anything under 150 is fair. Buyer beware though. Wheels, cables, levers all need careful checking for quality and wear.

It must not be Morrison, but even when I search the model number PPS764124, that's what is returned. I got the model from the attached pic.

Thanks again, I won't be paying over €100 and that if the other person doesn't collect!

It must not be Morrison, but even when I search the model number PPS764124, that's what is returned. I got the model from the attached pic.

Thanks again, I won't be paying over €100 and that if the other person doesn't collect!

I ran that number too with the word "Elite", and "Lawnmower", while it returns a few images of genuine Morrison lawnmowers, the term "PPS764124" is marked as missing from the search. No doubt a future search will throw up Morrision and this number as they're now on Boards right here, but it's not a Morrision or the Morrison Elite model. Someone else sold an Elite brand a few years back on Adverts, The ad shows up on my phone though not on a PC. Its even advertised as an Elite 500 but its not a Morrison Elite.

• Advertisement

The one I was looking at, was picked by someone else, so I'm back searching. The one mentioned for 200 in the previous posts doesn't mulch though ?

Have a look here. gardenmachinery.ie

2cgk289.png

Surecut isn't in stock. is it worth paying extra €50 for Morrison over Herkules ?

I am going from buying a second hand for 100 to a new one for 300 :eek:

If you intend to keep for years the Morrison is the better buy, it's made by Masport so parts will always be available...Giant leap !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Aldi have a mower on sale from Sunday for €230, self-propelled, B & S engine, etc. I'm in the market to replace the old mower as the rust is eating it, has anyone bought an Aldi mower before and can comment on how good or bad they are?

Just say you have last years model and see if they have a blade for it. If no blade dont buy. Also someone in a previous post was told a blade was €56 !! robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

I wish to buy my first ever lawnmower and hope to invest in something very reliable. Lawn is reasonably big but still quite bumpy. Having researched online I believe I should get a self propelled 22" (or so) cutting width, Briggs & Stratton engine, 70kg (or more) collection. Any other important features I should consider? I live in Laois and am open to the idea of buying locally (Laois, Offaly Kildare) or online. Will visit a few places at the weekend and get some prices. What models do you think I should consider? I'm prepared to spend up to 700. Any tips on where to buy are also welcome.

BarraOG wrote: »
    I wish to buy my first ever lawnmower and hope to invest in something very reliable. Lawn is reasonably big but still quite bumpy. Having researched online I believe I should get a self propelled 22" (or so) cutting width, Briggs & Stratton engine, 70kg (or more) collection. Any other important features I should consider? I live in Laois and am open to the idea of buying locally (Laois, Offaly Kildare) or online. Will visit a few places at the weekend and get some prices. What models do you think I should consider? I'm prepared to spend up to 700. Any tips on where to buy are also welcome.
    Go to you local man Pat Fogarty in Portlaoise, He does economy right up to rolls-royce Toro brand. This Viking is a good deal at €479 for a 51cm cut, though you wanted a bigger grassbag.
    https://patfogartylawnmowers.stihl-dealer.ie/en-ie/product/6a436b38-5f31-42ee-a95d-b24325c70f1e/mb-253-t/

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

Are castlegarden reliable? Saw one locally, steel deck 21", for 500€.

• Advertisement

BarraOG wrote: »
    Are castlegarden reliable? Saw one locally, steel deck 21", for 500€.

Fairly sound, they've crept up the quality league, and are the same brand as Stiga at this stage, which kind of crept down from it's fairly lofty price point back in the 80's. Parts easy to get and reasonable, Doyles distributor in Castlecomber worth a visit, they wholesale and sell online. This stiga is similar to that Castlegarden, a huge amount of the parts are common,
    https://www.doyles.ie/products/stiga-combi-53-sb-b-s-625e-s-d-steel-deck-combi-53sb.html?filter_set[]=1,26&page=2

Advertisement