Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

Would the Snapper NX 90V Power Drive 21” be worth considering? Saw it locally for 650. Would there be a big difference between it and the castlegarden 21”?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭deezell

BarraOG wrote: »
    Would the Snapper NX 90V Power Drive 21” be worth considering? Saw it locally for 650. Would there be a big difference between it and the castlegarden 21”?

High end mower, variable speed drive is a real bonus. That's probably the best price, €669 in other dealers, but they'd match €650 I reckon. UK price is £520 everywhere, add delivery and you wont save that much, but check out this price in Bryan Hynds in Portadown. £485, thats only €544 at the moment with Revolut. Depends on where you live, but worth the drive. In store you migh haggle a bit extra.
    https://www.bryanhynds.com/store/SNAPPER-NX-90V-p80677289

Delivery a Tenner anywhere in Ireland

Support your local dealer if you can. Haggle on the price.

You will be glad you bought it there if anything goes wrong. Handy for spare parts and service. You never know when you might need them for advice. Quick spare parts. Summer job for a family member. Raffle prize for a fundraiser etc.

It's a noble aspiration, to which I mostly agree, but alas there is so much price fixing and cartelling among resellers and by distributors (not specifically garden machines) that you can't blame people putting value before loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

deezell wrote: »
    It's a noble aspiration, to which I mostly agree, but alas there is so much price fixing and cartelling among resellers and by distributors (not specifically garden machines) that you can't blame people putting value before loyalty.

Haggle them, tell them you can buy it somewhere else for less. Look on the net, Donedeal is good.
    A lot of dealers in NI advertise on it, sell them cheaper and do nationwide deliveries.
    That's what I done, but I do live in Cavan and there are a few dealers just across the border from me, but I did buy in Cavan. Got a good deal on a display model from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

High end mower, variable speed drive is a real bonus. That's probably the best price, €669 in other dealers, but they'd match €650 I reckon. UK price is £520 everywhere, add delivery and you wont save that much, but check out this price in Bryan Hynds in Portadown. £485, thats only €544 at the moment with Revolut. Depends on where you live, but worth the drive. In store you migh haggle a bit extra.
    https://www.bryanhynds.com/store/SNAPPER-NX-90V-p80677289

Rather than go north, try Hohn Callan Ardee he will always do a good deal, go with the Snapper NX 90V.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

bbari wrote: »

Surecut isn't in stock. is it worth paying extra €50 for Morrison over Herkules ?

I am going from buying a second hand for 100 to a new one for 300 :eek:
    sheelbee wrote: »
    If you intend to keep for years the Morrison is the better buy, it's made by Masport so parts will always be available...Giant leap !!

I was trying to find a better deal and came across this site which has Morrison Classic for 259e. When I called 'em to check the stock he said the website isn't up-to-date and the price is wrong!

One thing I noticed that it says "Collects Only" when on the garden machinery site it says "Cut, Catch & Mulch"- who is right ?

http://www.leinsterturfequipment.ie/component/virtuemart/walk-behind-lawnmowers/18-push-propelled-mower-morrison-detail?Itemid=0

bbari wrote: »
    I was trying to find a better deal and came across this site which has Morrison Classic for 259e. When I called 'em to check the stock he said the website isn't up-to-date and the price is wrong!

One thing I noticed that it says "Collects Only" when on the garden machinery site it says "Cut, Catch & Mulch"- who is right ?

http://www.leinsterturfequipment.ie/component/virtuemart/walk-behind-lawnmowers/18-push-propelled-mower-morrison-detail?Itemid=0
    That one looks out of date alright, different model number and it's painted green. The mulching is achieved with the addition of a mulch plug, a bit of plastic you push into the grass chute that redirects the grass back over the blades to be chopped again. The newer model has this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

That one looks out of date alright, different model number and it's painted green. The mulching is achieved with the addition of a mulch plug, a bit of plastic you push into the grass chute that redirects the grass back over the blades to be chopped again. The newer model has this.

Does that clog the mower and if you don't collect the clippings would you need to mow more often?

• Advertisement

Edward M wrote: »
    Does that clog the mower and if you don't collect the clippings would you need to mow more often?

Mulching is best done by mowing frequently and at a cut height which allows the clippings to drop below the top of the cut grass. If you cut too low clippings will sit on the shaved grass. If you cut when it's heavy the same will happen. Inevitably you may need to collect if cutting is delayed due to weather, or else cut very high, then again soon after. If it looks a mess after cutting then you're cutting too low or too infrequently. This is also likely to jam the mower, and if its heavy and damp, it's a certainty. Mulching sounds great, but be prepared for trails of grass clippings in your door after people walk on a mulched lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Been mulching for years now and never a problem with trails of gras after walking on cut lawn. If conditions are damp which they often are, grass collects on the lawnmower wheels and can leave a mess if travelling over concrete or tarmac.I usually cut twice a week. unless it's a complete constant washout the weather is not a huge problem. Don't go mulching if your not prepared to do it on a very regular basis. If you do mulch you will be rewarded with lush green grass that needs much less fertilzer that ordinary cut lawns. Much less weeds as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

Buying the Snapper tomorrow! Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 scubadec

Hi All,
    Has anyone any recommendations on this model? Are they a good brand?
    I saw it here... http://www.amrentals.ie/Walk_behind_mowers/lawn-king-lawnmowers.htm

21" Lawn-King lawnmowers
    Self propelled Lawn mower
    Lawn King LK51RSP
    Lawn King LK51RSP lawnmower
    Briggs and Stratton 625 series engine
    21 inch cutting width
    Self Propelled Mower
    Strong steel deck
    60 litre collection bag
    Single lever height control
    4 in 1 cutting system - mulch / collect / side eject / rear eject
    Strong front bumper
    41kg weight

Hi, what part of the country are you in ?

Galway

scubadec wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Has anyone any recommendations on this model? Are they a good brand?
    I saw it here... http://www.amrentals.ie/Walk_behind_mowers/lawn-king-lawnmowers.htm

21" Lawn-King lawnmowers
    Self propelled Lawn mower
    Lawn King LK51RSP
    Lawn King LK51RSP lawnmower
    Briggs and Stratton 625 series engine
    21 inch cutting width
    Self Propelled Mower
    Strong steel deck
    60 litre collection bag
    Single lever height control
    4 in 1 cutting system - mulch / collect / side eject / rear eject
    Strong front bumper
    41kg weight

Decent generic or pattern lawnmower. You'll see a lot that look very similar. Works out at about €465 with £20 delivery and current exchange rate. A long way from Galway if you have an issue. This would be a better buy for a €10 more.
    https://robertkee.ie/product/castelgarden-walk-behind-lawnmower-xc53bsw4
    €475, 650 series engine. If you can find a Castelgarden dealer nearer to match the price all the better, but there's a certain comfort in going to real shop when buying new.

I agree with the local option if its possible.
    I will have a look locally at the weekend. At the moment I am just looking for peoples opinions on a few models. Thanks for your help!
    Donegal is nearly as far as Newry. I know alot of lawnmowers are standard. Just wondering are there anyones to avoid. I know B&S engines are good.

I agree with the local option if its possible.
    I will have a look locally at the weekend. At the moment I am just looking for peoples opinions on a few models. Thanks for your help!
    Donegal is nearly as far as Newry. I know alot of lawnmowers are standard. Just wondering are there anyones to avoid. I know B&S engines are good.

Hanlys in Croom, Limerick have that Castelgarden for 499, delivery extra. Ganleys in Athlone do Castelgarden also, tho that model not on their site. Laghy in Donegal 40 miles nearer Galway than Newry, Limerick dealer 40 miles nearer again. That Castelgarden is a 53 cm cut, also. Happy hunting!

Take a look at the Snapper NX90V.
    www.gardenmachinery.ie

• Advertisement

sheelbee wrote: »
    Take a look at the Snapper NX90V.
    www.gardenmachinery.ie

Looks nice.....
    have you one?
    Whats the Herkules 21 like? The NX90 doesnt look like its worth the extra €250 but I am open to being corrected.

Looks nice.....
    have you one?
    Whats the Herkules 21 like? The NX90 doesnt look like its worth the extra €250 but I am open to being corrected.

The Snapper is in a different class to LawnKing, and that model has variable speed drive also. As you're considering the trip to Norn Iron, the price difference is only £106 if you buy the snapper in Portadown, it's worth that for the variable drive, let alone the recognised brand name.
    https://www.bryanhynds.com/store/SNAPPER-NX-90V-p80677289.
    If you don't fancy the drive, AM rentals is £20 to deliver, Hynds is only £10, so the price difference drops to £96.

Just go back a page to read about this very mower, a query by BarOg I think. I think he bought locally for €660. With that kind of money you don't want a 150 mile trip if anything goes wrong, but with Snapper, Castelgarden, Stiga, Viking, you're on the right track quality wise. This Husqvarna in Limerick is up there price wise at €529 for 53cm cut.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/husqvarna-21-quot-lawnmower/18241061?utm_campaign=contentsharing&utm_medium=advertsweb&utm_source=adverts
    There's also some good value in almost new with warranty Mountfield aluminium deck in Galway here
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/pre-owned-lawnmowers-for-sale-with-warranty/18253287

One good thing the Snapper can be sent to your local dealer for him to assemble and PDI for you, he will also cover any warranty issues. Peace ofmind.

The Snapper is in a different class to LawnKing, and that model has variable speed drive also. As you're considering the trip to Norn Iron, the price difference is only £106 if you buy the snapper in Portadown, it's worth that for the variable drive, let alone the recognised brand name.
    https://www.bryanhynds.com/store/SNAPPER-NX-90V-p80677289.
    If you don't fancy the drive, AM rentals is £20 to deliver, Hynds is only £10, so the price difference drops to £96.

Just go back a page to read about this very mower, a query by BarOg I think. I think he bought locally for €660. With that kind of money you don't want a 150 mile trip if anything goes wrong, but with Snapper, Castelgarden, Stiga, Viking, you're on the right track quality wise. This Husqvarna in Limerick is up there price wise at €529 for 53cm cut.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/husqvarna-21-quot-lawnmower/18241061?utm_campaign=contentsharing&utm_medium=advertsweb&utm_source=adverts
    There's also some good value in almost new with warranty Mountfield aluminium deck in Galway here
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/pre-owned-lawnmowers-for-sale-with-warranty/18253287

Plenty to think about here, Thanks.
    I hadnt planned on heading North, just thats all I found when googling Lawnmowers. I am open to everything at the moment, but will buy soon as the grass is growing! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Hi . Hoping someone here can help.

I've got a good scag 36" walk behind mower for a large lawn I have. Got it handy enough in the UK.
    It's got a 2-blade advantage deck.
    Problem is. . ... it's got no discharge opening in the deck. So no side discharge. Mower does be under pressure a bit. I think I could cut much faster and easier if it had a side discharge.

I'm thinking about cutting a section out of the right hand side of the deck, hoping that the grass will shoot out here, as it does in most other scag mowers I see on YouTube.

Anyone know why my mower has no side discharge?

Also if I do cut piece out of the side of the deck. . . . What type of blades should I use ( mulcher, flat or otherwise)?

Hi . Hoping someone here can help.

I've got a good scag 36" walk behind mower for a large lawn I have. Got it handy enough in the UK.
    It's got a 2-blade advantage deck.
    Problem is. . ... it's got no discharge opening in the deck. So no side discharge. Mower does be under pressure a bit. I think I could cut much faster and easier if it had a side discharge.

I'm thinking about cutting a section out of the right hand side of the deck, hoping that the grass will shoot out here, as it does in most other scag mowers I see on YouTube.

Anyone know why my mower has no side discharge?

Also if I do cut piece out of the side of the deck. . . . What type of blades should I use ( mulcher, flat or otherwise)?

Are you certain that the deck has no discharge area? No plate that can be removed. Perhaps your mower deck is configured for mulching.The info page for the advantage deck mentions high velocity discharge, but the images are only partial ones. Perhaps being a commercial mower it's designed to drive the grass back down on the surface straight behind the cut area, so no trails, ridges of grass or discharge onto paths etc. I'd be cautious about angle grinding unless I was sure the structure wasn't compromised. Built like a tank though. Why not contact Scag tech support. Talk to an engineer. These guys love to talk to humans for a change. This diagram from a search for advantage deck seems to show a plate numbered part 5, when the deck is set up for mulching.
    .446502.gif

2nd image suggests the same layout. You may have to remove all these these bits for side discharge and buy a discharge chute.

446503.gif

Are you certain that the deck has no discharge area? No plate that can be removed. Perhaps your mower deck is configured for mulching.The info page for the advantage deck mentions high velocity discharge, but the images are only partial ones. Perhaps being a commercial mower it's designed to drive the grass back down on the surface straight behind the cut area, so no trails, ridges of grass or discharge onto paths etc. I'd be cautious about angle grinding unless I was sure the structure wasn't compromised. Built like a tank though. Why not contact Scag tech support. Talk to an engineer. These guys love to talk to humans for a change. This diagram from a search for advantage deck seems to show a plate numbered part 5, when the deck is set up for mulching.
    .446502.gif

2nd image suggests the same layout. You may have to remove all these these bits for side discharge and buy a discharge chute.

446503.gif

Thanks very much for that Deezell .

Just looked at mine again. My deck is different. You can't take any plates off the side . . .you can take a long plate off the middle of the deck. See picture attached. My deck is arranged so that both blades shoot the grass out the back. Maybe if I just take off the mulching blade and get 2 flat blades that might help?? At the moment the mower is much slower than any of the side discharge mowers I see on YouTube. Mine starts shaking and doesn't cut great if the grass is any bit wet or long. I would prefer if it just cut the grass and threw it out of its way , besides it clogging up in the deck. Maybe if I cut a hole at each side of the deck?? The deck is very solid.

Thanks very much for that Deezell .

Just looked at mine again. My deck is different. You can't take any plates off the side . . .you can take a long plate off the middle of the deck. See picture attached. My deck is arranged so that both blades shoot the grass out the back. Maybe if I just take off the mulching blade and get 2 flat blades that might help?? At the moment the mower is much slower than any of the side discharge mowers I see on YouTube. Mine starts shaking and doesn't cut great if the grass is any bit wet or long. I would prefer if it just cut the grass and threw it out of its way , besides it clogging up in the deck. Maybe if I cut a hole at each side of the deck?? The deck is very solid.

Looking at the picture, it looks like your deck is open at the left side? The skirt around the blade seems to only go partially around. Also there is no divider at the rear between the blades. These are the fittings that are indicated in the diagrams when the deck is configured as a mulcher, but you only seem to have the Mulcher blades. I agree that you should get a pair of standard blades, as I'm guessing the mulch blades without the close fitting blade divider, (part no 9 in either diagram) at the back of the deck is allowing a lot of sticky mulched grass to collect in this space and put a strain on the system. In these decks both blades rotate in the same direction, so cut grass should be carried to the right side of the deck, and out through the side if the blade skirt is open at the side looking from behind. Only when mulching is it closed. It seems from your photo that the skirt is open at this spot ? Is that left in picture blade bent? The edge at the rear looks odd.

Looking at the picture, it looks like your deck is open at the left side? The skirt around the blade seems to only go partially around. Also there is no divider at the rear between the blades. These are the fittings that are indicated in the diagrams when the deck is configured as a mulcher, but you only seem to have the Mulcher blades. I agree that you should get a pair of standard blades, as I'm guessing the mulch blades without the close fitting blade divider, (part no 9 in either diagram) at the back of the deck is allowing a lot of sticky mulched grass to collect in this space and put a strain on the system. In these decks both blades rotate in the same direction, so cut grass should be carried to the right side of the deck, and out through the side if the blade skirt is open at the side looking from behind. Only when mulching is it closed. It seems from your photo that the skirt is open at this spot ? Is that left in picture blade bent? The edge at the rear looks odd.

Thanks again for your info deezell. Much appreciated.
    There is a little opening at the left rear, but only because of wear and tear. It was closed full round initially. See pictures attached. The blade at the left is a mulcher blade . I've taken it off since but it's not bent. Will get what new straight ones. Is it two "flat" blades that would be best yea?
    There seems to be a devided between both blades but it looks like a bit of the centre has been beaten away at some stage.

Would my best option be to put on two new "flat" blades , fix the divider between 2 blades, and make a small hole at the right hand side of the deck ( right hand side as your mowing that is) ?? Or what shud i do to make it run more freely when cutting? I'm not to bothered about mulching once I can mow at a reasonable fast pace without the more shaking itself apart every so often. The way it is now, i need to frequently lean back on the handles to raise the deck so to give it a chance to clear itself up.

• Advertisement

Sorry . . . With photos attached this time :

Advertisement