Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

deezell wrote: »
    If I recall the Izzy were introduced by Honda to try and regain a bit of the middle market, so expensive were their main offerings. At those prices it's hardly budget, though it does have a budget look and spec, Honda engine apart. That husky has variable speed drive, so it's lot more for the less money spec wise.

Thanks Deezell. To confuse matters even more, rang local dealer and he does Weibang, never heard of them and from the sound of it a little bit over budget.

Looking to spend around 550-600, have a flat lawn so nothing heavy duty. Sounds like at that price point the Husky might be more bang for my buck but open to correction on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Izys are excellent mowers, so much so that a lot of contractors use them rather than the higher range Hondas. They are light, fast & maneuverable. The engine is a classic Honda, starts first time.

Irish dealers seem to charge a fortune for them. I bought one new off ebay years ago for about half the price here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Discodog wrote: »
    The Izys are excellent mowers, so much so that a lot of contractors use them rather than the higher range Hondas. They are light, fast & maneuverable. The engine is a classic Honda, starts first time.

Irish dealers seem to charge a fortune for them. I bought one new off ebay years ago for about half the price here.

Was just in local dealer there and he has Honda (crazy money locally) and Weibang.

Showed me a 20" Weibang self propelled with a Kohler engine, single speed. He reckons they are rock solid and more robust than the Husky (although he would say that).

Haven't much info on Weibang so I'm veering towards the Husky as it's 21 inch, and variable speed. Weibang about 10kgs heavier than Husky too so I'm thinking that will take a bit of lugging around when doing the lawn.

Both can be had for €550

Any final thoughts before I take the plunge into lawnmower ownership welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

skerry wrote: »
    Both can be had for €550

Any final thoughts before I take the plunge into lawnmower ownership welcome

Have a look here :

https://tinyurl.com/ycqpl24t

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

It looks like it's meant to drive the cut grass to the right viewed from behind, which then strikes the outer right plate and is left in small row. Definitely scrape clean and if possible repair the divider This will help the fan action of the blades to propel the grass out. I'd swap that mulcher blade for a normal one and try it out first, before cutting extra holes.

Deezell. I've just seen this deck on eBay. Same as mine. The plates between the blades seem to have piece missing just like mine? Wonder are they supposed to be like that ? Any ideas ? See pic attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Just a comment on the Wiebang. Having spent a good deal of time searching through forums and calling to all the various shops within 30 miles to look at what was available in a push lawnmower. 285 euro for a wiebang in the end. Very happy. Was therw when mechanic put oil and fuel in it and set up the idling speed. Starts first pull everytime. Loads of power and really drives the grass back into bag. Even when wet. Have cut twice since i bought it and i am very happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭deezell

Discodog wrote: »
    The Izys are excellent mowers......
    .....Irish dealers seem to charge a fortune for them. I bought one new off ebay years ago for about half the price here.
    I remember pricing them up v the Stiga a long time ago, they were pricier but well below the exorbitant standard Honda's. In the years since it seems Honda/dealers have just upped their margin as if the customer expects to pay through the nose for Honda, even their 'economy range.
    Stiga took the low cost manufacturing/generic route to produce better value machines, but they are available at good prices, not inflated because of their brand name.
    In fairness, the Izzys basic design takes a lot of abuse, probably why contractors use them. Bland and reliable.

Deezell. I've just seen this deck on eBay. Same as mine. The plates between the blades seem to have piece missing just like mine? Wonder are they supposed to be like that ? Any ideas ? See pic attached

That deck is the three blade version of yours, it has three vertical baffles at the back of each blade which seem to be there to guide the grass out the back as it circulates in the vortex above the blade. I'm guessing the cut out between blades is to prevent the grass in the path of the blade overlaps from being pressed down and missed perhaps but..
    ...I'm beginning to think that this old deck like yours is maybe designed exclusively for fine chopping or mulching. If you look at the mulching adaptations to the newer side ejection decks, they include not only a blocking plate for the ejecta, but extra divider baffles and under blade vertical baffles to redirect grass back down to the upper edges of the mulching blade. The gaps between the dividers probably assist the flow of grass from blade to blade until it is eventually forced down and out at the back. One thing is clear, the left guide plate is not bent around like yours is. On your deck, have you checked on a level surface that the deck is not tilted back, blocking clearance at the rear? When linkages get old and worn you need to adjust this. It's true for tractor mowers, they can be several cm off after a few years work. If you have a handbook, the right tilt forward, if any, will be shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

That deck is the three blade version of yours, it has three vertical baffles at the back of each blade which seem to be there to guide the grass out the back as it circulates in the vortex above the blade. I'm guessing the cut out between blades is to prevent the grass in the path of the blade overlaps from being pressed down and missed perhaps but..
    ...I'm beginning to think that this old deck like yours is maybe designed exclusively for fine chopping or mulching. If you look at the mulching adaptations to the newer side ejection decks, they include not only a blocking plate for the ejecta, but extra divider baffles and under blade vertical baffles to redirect grass back down to the upper edges of the mulching blade. The gaps between the dividers probably assist the flow of grass from blade to blade until it is eventually forced down and out at the back. One thing is clear, the left guide plate is not bent around like yours is. On your deck, have you checked on a level surface that the deck is not tilted back, blocking clearance at the rear? When linkages get old and worn you need to adjust this. It's true for tractor mowers, they can be several cm off after a few years work. If you have a handbook, the right tilt forward, if any, will be shown.

I suspect when both of those decks were made (OP's and in the advert) mulching hadn't even been invented.

my3cents wrote: »
    I suspect when both of those decks were made (OP's and in the advert) mulching hadn't even been invented.

Any idea how old either of those scag decks are?

• Advertisement

Any idea how old either of those scag decks are?

The Scag walk behinds where introduced in 1986 but abnormalnorman could get an idea of the age of his machine from the serial number on the engine.

iirc first time I saw similar machines was at the IoG exibition in the UK around 1986(?) and back then I don't really remember any mention by any manufacturer seriously selling mulching as an option.

Edit. but I've checked back through the manuals online and even the 1986 model had a massive discharge chute and a "normal" type of blade.

If abnormalnorman can find the serial number of the machine then all the available manuals are here all the way back to the 1986 model. I've checked through a load of them and can't find anything that looks like his deck with no obvious side discharge. I'd be looking at that deck on the right hand side (from the top) to see if someone hasn't welded the discharge chute closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I remember pricing them up v the Stiga a long time ago, they were pricier but well below the exorbitant standard Honda's. In the years since it seems Honda/dealers have just upped their margin as if the customer expects to pay through the nose for Honda, even their 'economy range.
    Stiga took the low cost manufacturing/generic route to produce better value machines, but they are available at good prices, not inflated because of their brand name.
    In fairness, the Izzys basic design takes a lot of abuse, probably why contractors use them. Bland and reliable.

Also contractors have become fed up with being charged a lot more for so called Commercial Mowers that usually only have cosmetic additions, like a front bumper.

The Izy isn't tough & they won't take abuse. But it is very reliable & fast. Plus, once you start using one, you won't want to go back to a heavy mower. Their light weight makes them ideal on softer ground.

The Scag walk behinds where introduced in 1986 but abnormalnorman could get an idea of the age of his machine from the serial number on the engine.

iirc first time I saw similar machines was at the IoG exibition in the UK around 1986(?) and back then I don't really remember any mention by any manufacturer seriously selling mulching as an option.

Edit. but I've checked back through the manuals online and even the 1986 model had a massive discharge chute and a "normal" type of blade.

If abnormalnorman can find the serial number of the machine then all the available manuals are here all the way back to the 1986 model. I've checked through a load of them and can't find anything that looks like his deck with no obvious side discharge. I'd be looking at that deck on the right hand side (from the top) to see if someone hasn't welded the discharge chute closed?

Thanks. No, there was definitely never a side discharge opening on my deck

...I'm beginning to think that this old deck like yours is maybe designed exclusively for fine chopping or mulching. If you look at the mulching adaptations to the newer side ejection decks, they include not only a blocking plate for the ejecta, but extra divider baffles and under blade vertical baffles to redirect grass back down to the upper edges of the mulching blade. The gaps between the dividers probably assist the flow of grass from blade to blade until it is eventually forced down and out at the back. .

Thanks. So do you think theres supposed to be a gap in the divider plates?
    I've just did a repair job on my deck the other evening, and I closed up the gap in the divider plate ?? See attached

Thanks. No, there was definitely never a side discharge opening on my deck

Well I went through almost every single walk behind Scag parts list I could find and everyone of them had a massive side discharge opening on the right hand side.

Do you have a serial number for the unit or even part of it?

If you look on the right hand side there should be a couple of lugs on the top of the deck or a long web with holes where the plastic chute was attached (if there ever was a chute). I can't post the pictures that easily but I've noticed that on a couple of the machines I've seen online the chute opening seems to have been welded over; this one for example http://www.hughiewillett.co.uk/scag-swz36a-36-inch-pedestrian-heavy-duty-commercial-flail-mower-4110.html the mounts for the plastic chute are still there however.

Well I went through almost every single walk behind Scag parts list I could find and everyone of them had a massive side discharge opening on the right hand side.

Do you have a serial number for the unit or even part of it?

If you look on the right hand side there should be a couple of lugs on the top of the deck or a long web with holes where the plastic chute was attached (if there ever was a chute). I can't post the pictures that easily but I've noticed that on a couple of the machines I've seen online the chute opening seems to have been welded over; this one for example http://www.hughiewillett.co.uk/scag-swz36a-36-inch-pedestrian-heavy-duty-commercial-flail-mower-4110.html the mounts for the plastic chute are still there however.

Model number SWZ 36A 15KA

Serial 7370261

Model number SWZ 36A 15KA

Serial 7370261

Then this is the manual for it http://www.scag.com/OPManuals/SWZ/2002SWZOPMAN/2002SWZOPMANcomplete.pdf.

Think thats a 2002 model.

Then this is the manual for it http://www.scag.com/OPManuals/SWZ/2002SWZOPMAN/2002SWZOPMANcomplete.pdf.

Think thats a 2002 model.

Thanks very much for that. However it doesn't show how the underneath of the deck is plated

Thanks very much for that. However it doesn't show how the underneath of the deck is plated

Neither does it show a deck that doesn't have a right hand side opening for a chute, which is why I think the chute opening has been welded up.

Neither does it show a deck that doesn't have a right hand side opening for a chute, which is why I think the chute opening has been welded up.

Thanks. But the sides of the deck are definitely all one plate . . . No openings bolted or welded closed.

Anyway. . . .my main concern now is weather or not the blade divider plate should have a piece cut out of it or not???

• Advertisement

Thanks. But the sides of the deck are definitely all one plate . . . No openings bolted or welded closed.

Anyway. . . .my main concern now is weather or not the blade divider plate should have a piece cut out of it or not???

I must be stupid for bothering to try and help and for missing the obvious evidence from this picture of yours

446616.jpg

You can clearly see that where a plate has been welded over the opening for the grass discharge and you can also clearly see the mounting points for the plastic discharge chute that goes over where the opening should be.

The machine has been botched up by someone so no wonder it doesn't work properly. There are no mulching blades specified for that machine only the standard blade and the high lift blade both of which are designed for use with a side opening.

I must be stupid for bothering to try and help and for missing the obvious evidence from this picture of yours

446616.jpg

You can clearly see that where a plate has been welded over the opening for the grass discharge and you can also clearly see the mounting points for the plastic discharge chute that goes over where the opening should be.

The machine has been botched up by someone so no wonder it doesn't work properly. There are no mulching blades specified for that machine only the standard blade and the high lift blade both of which are designed for use with a side opening.

Well they must have replaced the whole side of the deck so. And did a good job.

Thanks . Your obviously more experienced in mowers than I am.

Anyway. . .. where I am at the moment. . . .should I leave the divider plate whole. . .. or cut a piece out of it like it was before I went at it . . .and like the 48" deck I also saw ???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Need some help with my Mountfield 1430H ride on...

I've had it serviced twice in the last two years but any time I've left the machine idle for more than a couple of weeks, the battery runs down and I need to get it replaced.

I store the machine in a block wall garage that isn't insulated.

Any advice on what I can do to prevent this happening? It's costing me a fortune.

Well they must have replaced the whole side of the deck so. And did a good job.

Thanks . Your obviously more experienced in mowers than I am.

Anyway. . .. where I am at the moment. . . .should I leave the divider plate whole. . .. or cut a piece out of it like it was before I went at it . . .and like the 48" deck I also saw ???

It's your call. My3cents argument that your deck is a home brew mulcher is very convincing, until you look at that scrap three blade deck you posted. There's the big end plate again, and the same vertical rear baffles a la a mulch/ multiclip deck. Its hardly a coincidence, someone manufactured or re-manufactured these to recycle the cuttings and rear discharge them. The welding job on yours looks factory fit, albeit using a side discharge deck as the base. There had to be a market for non side discharge, with the clippings chopped finer and forced down into the grass butt. Try out your handiwork. Nothing to lose. Make two vertical cuts in the side and bend up a section. See what happens. For full side discharge the rear vertical baffles woukd have to go surely, along with any divider at the front between the blades.

It's your call. My3cents argument that your deck is a home brew mulcher is very convincing, until you look at that scrap three blade deck you posted. There's the big end plate again, and the same vertical rear baffles a la a mulch/ multiclip deck. Its hardly a coincidence, someone manufactured or re-manufactured these to recycle the cuttings and rear discharge them. The welding job on yours looks factory fit, albeit using a side discharge deck as the base. There had to be a market for non side discharge, with the clippings chopped finer and forced down into the grass butt. Try out your handiwork. Nothing to lose. Make two vertical cuts in the side and bend up a section. See what happens. For full side discharge the rear vertical baffles woukd have to go surely, along with any divider at the front between the blades.

Have a look at abnormalnorman other thread and the picture https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057858255.

That just doesn't look OEM to me? I've never seen a Scag with any opening at the rear. I think there may have been some major modifications made to that deck.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Need some help with my Mountfield 1430H ride on...

I've had it serviced twice in the last two years but any time I've left the machine idle for more than a couple of weeks, the battery runs down and I need to get it replaced.

I store the machine in a block wall garage that isn't insulated.

Any advice on what I can do to prevent this happening? It's costing me a fortune.

Does it not respond to a battery charge? Your issue could be corroded terminals. If your battery terminals are the small flat terminal with a small bolt/nut to the battery posts, it's quite common to have a poor connection between them even though they appear tight. Starter won't turn over and charging doesn't seem to help. Remove, scrspe/wire brush posts, get new bolts/ nuts, sand face of cable terminals, check the crimp of the cable into the terminal for any looseness and verdigrass deposits. A squeeze of a pliers on this won't harm. Put together and smear a little Vaseline over the joints. Check that the other ends are sound also, to the chassis and to the starter solenoid. The battery should be good for 3-4 years once it's charging while operating, and getting an occasional trickle charge once or twice over the winter. Ive had this a number of times with practically new batteries, it was always the terminals.

Have a look at abnormalnorman other thread and the picture https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057858255.

That just doesn't look OEM to me? I've never seen a Scag with any opening at the rear. I think there may have been some major modifications made to that deck.
    It doesn't resemble anything they currently sell or any diagrams I looked at, but the sloping discharge at the rear shouts out mulch/recycle. Do you agree the three blade one is a ringer for abnormalman's two blade in terms of the deck shape? It's not a home bodge, it must have been an alternative deck made to order perhaps.

It doesn't resemble anything they currently sell or any diagrams I looked at, but the sloping discharge at the rear shouts out mulch/recycle. Do you agree the three blade one is a ringer for abnormalman's two blade in terms of the deck shape? It's not a home bodge, it must have been an alternative deck made to order perhaps.

I agree the two decks are very similar in design.

The reason I'm not convinced on the mulching is that I can't think of a mulching mower that is open like that at the back plus their were no mulching blades sold for those older machines afaik?

The mulching blade creates lift at the tip and then destroys that lift with the inner part of the blade forcing the clippings back into the sward so no need if its all working correctly for the opening at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Should you fill oil filter when replacing it?

Just did my service of oil, filter and spark plug. Thinking now I had the oil drained for a week or so before I sourced a filter and changed it. I’ve started and ran for a few mins but I was not happy with the sound. Thinking now should I have filled the new filter before fitting it?

What does boards think I should do now?

• Advertisement

Can't see how you would fill and oil filter, most go in on their side? Never have filled an oil filter myself - mostly Honda engines.

Advertisement