Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Hello....not normally on this thread so apologies if this question has been dealt with before.

I've just purchased a new petrol lawnmower as existing one was giving me endless trouble.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some means of disposing of old mower? Homebase in Rathfarnham where I bought new one say they don't have a recycling facility for mowers and couldn't recommend anywhere. Anyone know of such facilities?....I'm in South Dublin.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

Hello....not normally on this thread so apologies if this question has been dealt with before.

I've just purchased a new petrol lawnmower as existing one was giving me endless trouble.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some means of disposing of old mower? Homebase in Rathfarnham where I bought new one say they don't have a recycling facility for mowers and couldn't recommend anywhere. Anyone know of such facilities?....I'm in South Dublin.

Thanks.

For electric lawnmowers the Civic amenity centre in Ballymount. For petrol mowers, drain oil, and bring to a registered car/metal recycling centre. They should take it free, or €20 per 100k, (€2?). More if you seperate out the alumimium block, but thats how they make a few quid. Otherwise offer it free in Adverts for parts, meet in car park job. Kilcock recycling/ dismantlers are the nearest I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

what do you think of this machine?
    is it too rough? good size engine and alu deck are a big plus, if not this, what would you recommend? (saw some good loking husqvarnas up north for 2.5k new - id be tempted too - )

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/22hp-lawnboss-ride-on/18402030

Squatman wrote: »
    is it too rough? good size engine and alu deck are a big plus, if not this, what would you recommend? (saw some good loking husqvarnas up north for 2.5k new - id be tempted too - )

He has 28 other ads with various lawnmowers and other tools. I would guess stolen but the prices seem high. The mower looks alright. See how it's running and I would say you would get at least a €100 off

Its actually a lot of Mower for the money, Only produced in 2007, 48" deck, Aluminium, 22Hp twin cylinder engine, Hydrostatic drive and I think electric blade engage. Its a mower for a 3+ acre garden. As Sursanders implies, you'd need to know where it came from OK.

• Advertisement

He has 28 other ads with various lawnmowers and other tools. I would guess stolen but the prices seem high. The mower looks alright. See how it's running and I would say you would get at least a €100 off

whilst i agree in principle, the sheer volume of lawnmowers would suggest to me that he is a mechanic - rather than stolen. They are all roughish. if stolen i would expect to see very new mowers.

im not sure what good mowers you would get for under 1k, would you have any suggestions? (Genuine question)

im not sure what good mowers you would get for under 1k, would you have any suggestions? (Genuine question)

Yeah I thought that mower was reasonably priced but I was wrong reading some posts above. It's a very powerful machine way under priced it seems. I would just be suspicious of someone with 28 items for sale in one day with low prices.

Your right spending 1k on a second hand mower you won't get much good. Tractor ride ons are a bit of a cod unless you have a large flat single shape area. They are no good in get areas or hills.

What you are looking for is a mower for a big garden bought by someone who only has a small flat garden! There's a big demand for decent 40" cut tractors with a suitable engine (14-16HP). There's a lot of toy tractor mowers sold, small cut, tiny engines, most of the power used to carry the operator.
    That Lawnboss is a fine mower if its mechanically sound.
    Some others worth considering;
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/husqvarna-jonsered-tractor-mower/18235022 Plenty of power in the engine.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/castlegarden-ride-on-mower/18445998
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/ride-on-mowers/18442397

https://www.adverts.ie/ride-on/lawnflite-ride-on-mower/13144675

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/husqvarna-jonsered-tractor-mower/18235022

really like the look of this one, would it be sufficient for a 1 acre garden? (flat)
    plus 100kg of animal driving it! :)

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/husqvarna-jonsered-tractor-mower/18235022

really like the look of this one, would it be sufficient for a 1 acre garden? (flat)
    plus 100kg of animal driving it! :)

15 horses but not a huge wide cut, 36", so plenty power. Is there an acre of grass or is it an acre site. Either way it should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

49801 wrote: »
    Should you fill oil filter when replacing it?

Just did my service of oil, filter and spark plug. Thinking now I had the oil drained for a week or so before I sourced a filter and changed it. I’ve started and ran for a few mins but I was not happy with the sound. Thinking now should I have filled the new filter before fitting it?

What does boards think I should do now?

You may have drained the oil pump completely and its now airlocked, what engine is it?

You are going to have to go and take a look at these in the flesh.
    In short, the first is an older model, kohler engine, manual gearbox, but good bang for your buck with 15hp engine.
    2nd is very underpowered, 5.7kw is only 7.5 hp
    The last is probably twice the mower for only €650 more, it's €500 below Husqvarna rrp of €3500, see https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/garden-tractors/
    The McCullough is what it is. I wouldn't buy tbh.

I'd choose between 1st and last. 1st will still be worth a grand in several years time and might be all you need. I'm assuming these are all new or at the least showroom display models. Go see.

deezell wrote: »
    You are going to have to go and take a look at these in the flesh.
    In short, the first is an older model, kohler engine, manual gearbox, but good bang for your buck with 15hp engine.
    2nd is very underpowered, 5.7kw is only 7.5 hp
    The last is probably twice the mower for only €650 more, it's €500 below Husqvarna rrp of €3500, see https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/garden-tractors/
    The McCullough is what it is. I wouldn't buy tbh.

I'd choose between 1st and last. 1st will still be worth a grand in several years time and might be all you need. I'm assuming these are all new or at the least showroom display models. Go see.

Thanks a million Deezell, the guy selling all these was found from a link you posted - the guy seems to have a huge range. will defo be worth the spin over. will surely find what i need.

1 last question. how long should the steel deck last? (in normal conditions - given that some of these are 2nd hand and might not be looked after)

Thanks a million Deezell, the guy selling all these was found from a link you posted - the guy seems to have a huge range. will defo be worth the spin over. will surely find what i need.

1 last question. how long should the steel deck last? (in normal conditions - given that some of these are 2nd hand and might not be looked after)

I think all those you linked are new, showroom stock at least. I painted the underside of a new replacement deck with red oxide, two coats, it was perfect 10 years later. The original was full of holes after ten years as it wasn't cleaned off for a good few years before I got it. Once rust gets in behind the paint, the clock is ticking. Inspect a used deck underneath. Get them to tilt it over. Good hunting. All we need now is the grass to actually grow a bit.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 26 mapboy

Hi,I was looking at the new Husqvarna 142 ride on. They seem like a good mower and my local dealer seems to sell quite a few.They also do Honda but it’s hard to justify the extra money.
    I have heard good and bad stories about all brands of mowers so it’s hard to pick.

mapboy wrote: »
    Hi,I was looking at the new Husqvarna 142 ride on. They seem like a good mower and my local dealer seems to sell quite a few.They also do Honda but it’s hard to justify the extra money.
    I have heard good and bad stories about all brands of mowers so it’s hard to pick.

You'd be surprised how many people buy brand new expensive ride on mowers, abuse and neglect the s***e out of them, then complain about how poor they were. Don't expect a 9hp 36" tractor mower to manage 3 acres of rough ground, tree root, slopes etc. with an oil change every 5 years. Driving the mower into the garage after its last wet , mucky, mow in October and leaving it there till April is not good practice. Match the mower to your needs, maintain it properly, clean it frequently, and it could be good for 20+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

deezell wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how many people buy brand new expensive ride on mowers, abuse and neglect the s***e out of them, then complain about how poor they were. .

I truly believe you. A friend of mine got walk behind Husqvarna when he moved in to his new house in 2007. Its been 10/11 years and he never changed the oil. Another person I know bought Honda in 2011 and never changed the oil. I am surprised at their attitude towards things and also surprised that the mowers are still working!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dellboyot

Hi everyone..looking for a bit of help picking out a lawnmower. I've a nice size lawn that takes roughly an hour to cut. Ive being mulching upto now but my daughter suffers from hayfever so that has to stop. A ride on isn't possible due to the terrain and I've a budget of around 500-600euro. I was looking at the following but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Viking MB 253.1 T at €460
    TORO 29732 Recycler at €550

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

Have a look at the Snapper NX 90V great machine for a large lawn. www.gardenmachinery.ie

dellboyot wrote: »
    Hi everyone..looking for a bit of help picking out a lawnmower. I've a nice size lawn that takes roughly an hour to cut. Ive being mulching upto now but my daughter suffers from hayfever so that has to stop. A ride on isn't possible due to the terrain and I've a budget of around 500-600euro. I was looking at the following but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Viking MB 253.1 T at €460
    TORO 29732 Recycler at €550

Great price for the Viking. nice light mower at under 30 Kilo. The Snapper on the other post at €669 is very pricey, but the same crowd have a very well priced Hercules, a generic enough branded mower for €419. That Toro is also a well regarded brand, Big 190cc B&S engine, here it is for only €515 in Longford, which is near to most places. http://www.jdslawnmowers.ie/lawnmowers?product_id=214

thanks for the replies lads. The Toro on 2nd look Deezell has only a 163cc engine while the Hercules has a 173cc i guess you pay that bit extra for the name. While the snapper is probably that bit more robust its almost €250 dearer than the Hercules

dellboyot wrote: »
    thanks for the replies lads. The Toro on 2nd look Deezell has only a 163cc engine while the Hercules has a 173cc i guess you pay that bit extra for the name. While the snapper is probably that bit more robust its almost €250 dearer than the Hercules

Misprint by JDlawnmowers.ie. Still, it's a B&S 675 series engine. The Hercules is probably a spurious generic engine. Also check out the mowers at Agrieuro, this Stiga with the same B&S 675 is only €477, or €515 with a Honda engine.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-combi-55-sq-semi-professonal-self-propelled-lawn-mower-bs-675-exi-engine-p-10473.html

sheelbee have you had the chance to use/own the Snapper

After a bit more searching, it seems other versions of the 675 series engines have a range of capacities, I've come across other ads for the Toro with a 190cc 675 Quantum engine, so it may well be the correct size for this mower. See
    http://www.agmonline.co.uk/toro-29732-53cm-variable-speed-3in1-lawnmower?___SID=U
    Great price too of you want to import, you have to contact them for a delivery guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rubberducky1888

Automower "No Loop Signal" intermittent fault

My automower worked fine last year but this year it's constantly stopping showing a no loop signal fault. I've checked the wire continuity and it's fine. The charging station is sending out approx .5volts and approx .25volts is returning to the station. The wire is laid about 1 foot from a wire link fence but this has never affected it before so I don't think that's the problem.

Has anyone had this problem before?
    Thanks In advance

Automower "No Loop Signal" intermittent fault

My automower worked fine last year but this year it's constantly stopping showing a no loop signal fault. I've checked the wire continuity and it's fine. The charging station is sending out approx .5volts and approx .25volts is returning to the station. The wire is laid about 1 foot from a wire link fence but this has never affected it before so I don't think that's the problem.

Has anyone had this problem before?
    Thanks In advance
    The attached chart might help. I've no knowledge of the voltages/currents across/through the loop but the 2 voltages you quote, are they measured from the ends of the loop to some other terminal? What is the voltage across the loop terminals relative to each other. You may have an intermittent break in the cable conductor underneath its insulatiion close to its terminal. If the cable got flexed or tugged at some stage it may have broken internally with intermittent connection. It sounds very much like a loss of loop current. Try putting a test meter on the open loop and measure it's resistance/continuity, and monitor this while pulling or flexing the loop wire from the charger location to where it goes to ground. If it's not buried carefully walk it's path to check for damage to it, if there are sharply bent turns on it flex these to see if resistance suddenly increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Well the grass is leaping outta the ground now folks!

Had to mow again today after only mowing 7 days ago and was a proper amount to cut!

• Advertisement

Extraordinary long winter. Mower has been in the garage since last cut in early October. More than 6 months. Still slow growth in the exposed middle spread on mine, but a lot on the sheltered verges and next to trees. Looks tidy anyway after first cut Friday. I promised herself a change of walk behind this year. That 190cc Toro looks like great value. I'll have to see it in the flesh first to inspect quality. It claims variable speed, but has no variator lever. On the manual it states that it has fixed speed when you fully depress the handle drive bar, normal for any single speed mower, but then says reduced speeds are obtained by partially releasing the drive bar. I wonder is this a proper variator speed control or just some sort of clutch slip? I wouldn't be too happy if thats how it's done. Anyone here used this Toro? It's the Toro 53cm recycler model 29732.
    https://www.toro.com/en-gb/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers/21in-53cm-steel-deck-recycler-29732

Advertisement