Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

At the beginning of the year I made a purchase of this Husqvarna mulching mower.

https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/lawn-mowers/lb-553s-e/967257001/

I used the old mower for the first few cuts to collect grass. Yesterday was the first time that I took the new mower out.

The grass was reasonably short but still needed a good cut. It was also dry enough to use the new mower.

It's a pretty robust machine. It tackled the grass exceptionally well giving a good even cut. It's also quite fast at it's quickest speed and it wasn't long before the sweat was rolling whilst walking after it.
    I did have to reduce the speed in the more finicky areas around beds and trees etc and the control in these tight areas was slightly difficult but I'd say with use the control will just be a matter of getting used to the new machine.

The mulching aspect was impressive. The lawn was cut to a very fine mulch that neither gathered on the grass or my boots as I walked behind.

When finished the lawn looked neat and tidy, the cut looked good and save for the odd piece if grass that gathered on the rear wheels there was no clumping of cuttings. In fact the lawn looked as if the grass had been collected.

Quite impressed with my purchase to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

That is a serious amount of mower. I'm trying to convince her of the benefits of mulching, but the mower has to have proper multi clip ability, otherwise it just sits atop the grass. Good example here in this slightly cheesy demo. https://youtu.be/ppzz45Z35A4

If you're looking for a big 56cm (22") cut mower, with a sweet 190cc Honda GCV engine, 3 in 1 Function, Multi clip blade for fine recycling and a Variable speed drive, all for €599.99, (and Made in the USA), The McCulloch M56-190AWFPX is being sold off afaik. I've used a little 16" one of these for years in a family members house, very solid, but I would perhaps be prejudiced because Woodies sold them. It's Woodies who have it right now in a couple of stores, for €600. https://www.woodies.ie/mcculloch-56cm-190cc-petrol-self-propelled-lawnmower-1113573?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwq_vWBRACEiwAEReprD3xE3csp4elJk3CI159WIRA_JhHnDWRF8LMyJt44yCzJ1lph1MQJxoCvjoQAvD_BwE
    That's a good €40 less than any of the online euro shops I've searched. Front wheel drive which I always find is more intuitive, just tilt the mower and the wheels spin while you maneuver, plus there less chance of wearing out the drive if you're pushing through obstacles, up banks, edges of shrubs etc, as the the wheels will spin rather than the clutch mechanism slipping and over the years losing traction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If anyone spots a cheap Hayter Hayterette can they let me know here. Its a very old style of machine thats not very popular over here but its about the only one still made that will handle longer grass with no fuss, no bagging or mulching just plane cut and drop.

Only just started looking and price is about £700+ in the UK. Edit> Now down to £619

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

my3cents wrote: »
    If anyone spots a cheap Hayter Hayterette can they let me know here. Its a very old style of machine thats not very popular over here but its about the only one still made that will handle longer grass with no fuss, no bagging or mulching just plane cut and drop.

Only just started looking and price is about £700+ in the UK. Edit> Now down to £619

£605

edit. £580

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hayterettes are fantastic machines have had several over the years although I always let my minions use them.

Hayter osprey is a tremendous machine even better than the hayterette but unfortunately they don’t make them anymore.

The etesia atilla walk behind would be the nearest thing to the modern osprey.

oleras wrote: »
    £605

edit. £580

Delivery is the problem.

Best so far is £624 + £36 delivery http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/hayter-hayterette-push-petrol-lawn-mower .

Still looking and waiting for a few replies hopefully in Monday about shipping to Ireland from a few other UK suppliers.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Hayterettes are fantastic machines have had several over the years although I always let my minions use them.

Hayter osprey is a tremendous machine even better than the hayterette but unfortunately they don’t make them anymore.

The etesia atilla walk behind would be the nearest thing to the modern osprey.

I used a Hayter Condor for years another great machine, could use one now but can't afford one.

Still in two minds about the Hayterette but it seems the only obvious machine for my environment.

Where do you source your Hayterettes, unfortunately my local Irish supplier will only quote the list price. Its money for old rope I don't even need the machine PDIed.

I used a Hayter Condor for years another great machine, could use one now but can't afford one.

Still in two minds about the Hayterette but it seems the only obvious machine for my environment.

Where do you source your Hayterettes, unfortunately my local Irish supplier will only quote the list price. Its money for old rope I don't even need the machine PDIed.

The condors are good but the ospreys were exceptional.

I don’t have an Irish supplier I only ever had them in England.

Sorry I can’t help any more.

You could actually try calling chelyenham mowers/mowdirect/mowers online etc. and see if they’ll do a deal and post it also.

I did that with one of those companies for a garden chipper/shredder some years ago and got a good enough deal.

• Advertisement

monkeynuz wrote: »
    You could actually try calling chelyenham mowers/mowdirect/mowers online etc. and see if they’ll do a deal and post it also.

I did that with one of those companies for a garden chipper/shredder some years ago and got a good enough deal.

Now I have a price from someone who will deliver I might phone some of the others on Monday. On page 7 of google now for possible suppliers and only one has the full details listed on their website of cost of delivery to Ireland many of the others state "We do not deliver any items to Northern Ireland, Eire, The Channel Islands, The Isle of Man or Europe."

Now I have a price from someone who will deliver I might phone some of the others on Monday. On page 7 of google now for possible suppliers and only one has the full details listed on their website of cost of delivery to Ireland many of the others state "We do not deliver any items to Northern Ireland, Eire, The Channel Islands, The Isle of Man or Europe."

Mower Magic £611 but don’t state the cost of delivery although they will deliver.

Unfortunately a lot of the companies I mentioned previously used to deliver to here a but now don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Looking for a recommendation for a mid range mower. I've 130 sqm of lawn and then about 30sqm of grass on rough ground.

The lawn I'd like to get in a good condition the grass on rough ground I just want to keep tidy.

If I just had the lawn I think electric would suffice? But thinking petrol to handle the rough 30sqm better...and a better long term investment?

Would it be a good buy and suitable for my needs?
    http://www.mcquillantools.ie/mcculloch-m40-110-classic/

Or you can get it with a Briggs and Statton engine https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mcculloch-M40-125-Classic-Collect-Cutting/dp/B00CG2EK7Y

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Hi what would someone recommend for cutting about 3/4 acre for around €500.
    Looking for something self propelled and a good cutting size
    Hoping to get a ride on eventually but budget won't allow for that at the minute.
    Thanks

garv123 wrote: »
    Hoping to get a ride on eventually but budget won't allow for that at the minute.
    Thanks

https://robertkee.ie/product/castelgarden-walk-behind-lawnmower-xc53bsw4

https://www.gardenmachinery.ie/lawn-mowers/self-propelled-rotary-mowers/morrison-titan-petrol-self-propelled-lawn-mower.html

any of the above?

Thanks
    This
    http://www.jdslawnmowers.ie/lawnmowers/self-propelled-lawnmowers?product_id=214
    Toro a top brand.
    Or this composite deck, light, no rust.
    https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/lawn-mowers/lc-253s/967069301/
    Prices for these are dealer identical, but haggling might work.
    Or these.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-combi-55-sq-heavy-duty-self-propelled-lawn-mower-honda-gcv-160-engine-p-10204.html

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-combi-55-sq-semi-professonal-self-propelled-lawn-mower-bs-675-exi-engine-p-10473.html
    Same mower but €47 more for the Honda engine, or a full €116 less with a generic engine if you're willing to care for it.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-combi-55-sq-self-propelled-petrol-lawn-mower-p-10229.html

Thanks, Which one of the 3 would you go for?

Right now I'm on the verge of replacing a 20 year old Stiga rock of a mower which is still motoring away, and I'm tempted by the B&S Stiga, but I'll probably go for the Castegarden they have, the one with the variable speed drive and the Lith Ion electric start, worth the extra. Herself finds the pull starting is getting more demanding as the years sail by, and we're used to the variable speed drive on steep hilly bits.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/castelgarden-xs-55-bvwe4-self-propelled-lawn-mower-with-electric-start-and-bs-engine-p-8424.html
    This is a great price for this. Variable speed, Galvanised Deck, Electric start etc.

They are mostly the same brand since the companies merged in 2000, but the Castelgarden badge seems to have moved to the higher price bracket than the Stiga, which in its day was a high end expensive premium Swedish brand.

The CastelGarden you linked is a very solid mower too, probably idendical in most respects to the Stiga B&S, but with an older 650 series engine. The 675EXI in the stiga is supposed to be the latest thing according to B&S blurb.

deezell wrote: »
    Right now I'm on the verge of replacing a 20 year old Stiga rock of a mower which is still motoring away, and I'm tempted by the B&S Stiga, but I'll probably go for the Castegarden they have, the one with the variable speed drive and the Lith Ion electric start, worth the extra. Herself finds the pull starting is getting more demanding as the years sail by, and we're used to the variable speed drive on steep hilly bits.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/castelgarden-xs-55-bvwe4-self-propelled-lawn-mower-with-electric-start-and-bs-engine-p-8424.html
    This is a great price for this. Variable speed, Galvanised Deck, Electric start etc.

They are mostly the same brand since the companies merged in 2000, but the Castelgarden badge seems to have moved to the higher price bracket than the Stiga, which in its day was a high end expensive premium Swedish brand.

The CastelGarden you linked is a very solid mower too, probably idendical in most respects to the Stiga B&S, but with an older 650 series engine. The 675EXI in the stiga is supposed to be the latest thing according to B&S blurb.

That has me tempted,
    What are argieuro like to deal with? will there be any issues with repairs, if theres any faults?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

That has me tempted,
    What are argieuro like to deal with? will there be any issues with repairs, if theres any faults?

If you scroll back few pages, I bought a Stiga Lawnmower from agrieuro. Got answers of my queries over the online chats, lawnmower was shipped and delivered as promised. They have partner repairs center in Ireland, if under warranty, the shipment charges to/from are to be paid by them. Their prices are 20%-30% cheaper than the cheapest here, you get oil etc with the lawnmower too.

• Advertisement

On their site they say they have local agent support " unlike other online sellers" as they say in their spiel. There's a scrolling bar feed showing latest sales, quite a lot of them in Ireland. Maybe someone here has used them?

I've seen it here for €609 in EnnisKillen,
    http://macplantsales.com/castelgardenxs55bvwe4-lawnmower/
    But the photo doesn't match though the spec is correct. To confuse matters they have a correct photo of this model as well, tagged XS 55BVE and priced at €630.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Whilst I enjoy cutting grass it has become a real chore. Primarily because I can't get the time to cut it often enough. And in this bloody country the grass is almost always damp, if not wet.

I currently have a woodies own brand mower (yeah i know my first mistake), it is about 5 years old, has a briggs & stratton engine and in fairness starts first time every time. But unless I cut the grass every week, it struggles, mainly in that the bag doesn't fill. It clogs at the entrance to the bag with the bag only half full. If the grass is short and bone dry, well then it cuts it fine. But that's a rarity.

I am prepared to spend 500-700 euro for something decent like the Snapper NX 90V or similar.
    But only if I am going to notice a huge difference, if not I might as well stick with what I have for another few years. So if I go 2-3 weeks without cutting the grass, so it's long and damp, is it going to be a struggle regardless? Or will something like the Snapper fly through it anyway?

I have about 1000sq.m to cut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Folks need advice please.

I've been cutting 3/4 acres flat land past 15 yrs with a self drive push Husqvarna. I always mulch.

I'm not getting any younger and my hip is killing me and really hurts after I mowe the grass and it takes me 2 or 3 hours.

I'm contemplating purchasing a new Husqvarna ride on but I'm confused whether manual transmission is ok or should I pay more for automatic/hydrostatic.

One lawnmower salesman told me today to never buy one without automatic while another said manual gears are fine.

There is 300 to 400 Euro in the price difference.

Please help me decide

Hydrostatic is the way to go.

peadar76 wrote: »
    Whilst I enjoy cutting grass it has become a real chore. Primarily because I can't get the time to cut it often enough. And in this bloody country the grass is almost always damp, if not wet.

I currently have a woodies own brand mower (yeah i know my first mistake), it is about 5 years old, has a briggs & stratton engine and in fairness starts first time every time. But unless I cut the grass every week, it struggles, mainly in that the bag doesn't fill. It clogs at the entrance to the bag with the bag only half full. If the grass is short and bone dry, well then it cuts it fine. But that's a rarity.

I am prepared to spend 500-700 euro for something decent like the Snapper NX 90V or similar.
    But only if I am going to notice a huge difference, if not I might as well stick with what I have for another few years. So if I go 2-3 weeks without cutting the grass, so it's long and damp, is it going to be a struggle regardless? Or will something like the Snapper fly through it anyway?

I had a look at my Woodies Pro-Lawn lawn mower last night and it has a Briggs & Stratton 625E Series 190cc engine. That's a decent engine, right? A decent bit of power?
    So why does the mower perform so badly? Is it down to the design of the body/blade/discharge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

check that all the vents in the bag are clear, if they get blocked, then the bag/box wont fill fully. other than that ensure the blades are in good nick, and if unsure replace with new ones

I had a look at my Woodies Pro-Lawn lawn mower last night and it has a Briggs & Stratton 625E Series 190cc engine. That's a decent engine, right? A decent bit of power?
    So why does the mower perform so badly? Is it down to the design of the body/blade/discharge?
    Probably. There are mowers that have fan assisted blowing of the grass, hard to find info on this though. John Deere have their Turbostar fan blades on their commercial mowers, costs a fortune though. If the mower doesn't have a deep rising shape on the deck going out to the bag, it's more likely to clog IMO. The Castelgarden I'm mulling over has a really high rising exit chute in the deck.

That's a fine looking machine.

But it has 160cc engine. My current woodies mower has a 190cc engine. Excuse my ignorance but how relevant is that?

I am worried that I might spend 600 quid on a mower and not see any improvement on what I have already

• Advertisement

That's a fine looking machine.

But it has 160cc engine. My current woodies mower has a 190cc engine. Excuse my ignorance but how relevant is that?

I am worried that I might spend 600 quid on a mower and not see any improvement on what I have already

The 775I series engine is a better engine than the basic 625E series fitted to your mower. It delivers 12% more power/torque than the 190cc 625 series at the same RPM. Power is a bit of a misleading term in these engine specs, it's all about torque, ability under load, working rpm speed etc. All the engine power in the world won't prevent clogging though. If the grass collects under the deck and then gets chopped into a fine mush, the blade is going to be dragging itself through this mess. More power will prevent a mower from stalling in heavy patches, but then the limit on the flow of grass throughput kicks in. How much clearance between the top of the blade and your steel deck? Does the blade have decent lifting wings on the end to create a strong air flow and centrifugal throw of the cut grass.. Is it sharp? Is there any corrosion on the underside making it easier for damp grass to stick.
    There's a limit to how heavy a cut a mower will manage, even with a better designed deck. If grass is very heavy, high or damp, raise the blade to the highest and cut, them go at it again at a lower level. If it's particulary heavy, cut with only half or less the width of the mower.
    The ability of the mower to bag will have a lot to do with the path to the bag, and some mowers have a more aerodynamic flow shape to the exit, others just seem to have a hole in the steel at the back.

That snapper is a fine mower, you should take a look at it and a few premium models and I'd be surprised f you did not notice the difference in build and design of the deck and blades.

Advertisement