Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Cut the grass yesterday with a borrowed Lidl lawnmower, it was only cut last week with a ride on. With the collection bag on it the B&S engine struggled, needed to cut a very slow walking pace.
    Tackled some of the higher stuff without the collection bag and it was much better.

Think ill go for the CastelGarden XS 55 BVWE4 as recommended on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

garv123 wrote: »
    Cut the grass yesterday with a borrowed Lidl lawnmower, it was only cut last week with a ride on. With the collection bag on it the B&S engine struggled, needed to cut a very slow walking pace.
    Tackled some of the higher stuff without the collection bag and it was much better.

Think ill go for the CastelGarden XS 55 BVWE4 as recommended on here.

I cut nearly an acre with the Lidl push one yesterday (didn't box off) :mad: putting aside my madness it goes to show how well built the Lidl one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

my3cents wrote: »
    I cut nearly an acre with the Lidl push one yesterday (didn't box off) :mad: putting aside my madness it goes to show how well built the Lidl one is.

I was surprised with it. Ideal for someone with a smaller garden if they keep it maintained. €200 and a 3 year warranty.

garv123 wrote: »
    I was surprised with it. Ideal for someone with a smaller garden if they keep it maintained. €200 and a 3 year warranty.

If you have a lawn tractor they are still handy for doing around trees and edges where its difficult to get with a bigger machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

Hi,

I have read about 20-30 pages of this thread but still would appreciate advice if people had time

I have 400 square metres of lawn, it’s a little uneven, lot of moss too at the moment, prev occupant mowed it 3 times a year I’m led to believe – am planning to get it rotavated and re-set at some stage in the next 1-2 years when time/money allows.

I grew up mowing ¼ acre of grass on a ½ acre site down the country and had an old 1980s B&S self-propelled with nice roller on the back which left a nice stripe on the lawn and that effect is something I would like to have in a new mower. It doesn’t seem like too many standard mowers have a roller for stripe effect though.

My budget is €500 approx but might be tempted to stretch to €600 for this as there is one in my local Woodies mentioned by previous poster https://www.woodies.ie/mcculloch-56cm-190cc-petrol-self-propelled-lawnmower-1113573?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwq_vWBRACEiwAEReprD3xE3csp4elJk3CI159WIRA_JhHnDWRF8LMyJt44yCzJ1lph1MQJxoCvjoQAvD_BwE

though it doesn't seem to have the roller thing

But on the other hand half thinking of just getting the €199 Aldi one out tomorrow and get a few years out of it and then when I have a proper budget go for something closer to 800 or more. I might never have that budget though,

the other issue is that I would like to buy in person - greater Dublin area - need it before this weekend!

thanks if anyone has time for replies

• Advertisement

If you have only have 400 square meters of lawn go for the cheap one to get the job done now and think about getting a real cylinder mower when you get the lawn sorted out. You just can't compare a cylinder mower cut to that of a rotary even with a rear roller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

its lidl thats the mower is being sold for 199 its a push model were aldi were doing one a couple of weeks ago for 230 euro 46 cm self propelled with a more
    powerful b&s engine some shop may still have some of them

Don't see the point of having those small mowers self propelled its just something that can go wrong. A petrol engine powering a mower blade is about a simple as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

ergo wrote: »
    Hi,

I have read about 20-30 pages of this thread but still would appreciate advice if people had time

I have 400 square metres of lawn, it’s a little uneven, lot of moss too at the moment, prev occupant mowed it 3 times a year I’m led to believe – am planning to get it rotavated and re-set at some stage in the next 1-2 years when time/money allows.

I grew up mowing ¼ acre of grass on a ½ acre site down the country and had an old 1980s B&S self-propelled with nice roller on the back which left a nice stripe on the lawn and that effect is something I would like to have in a new mower. It doesn’t seem like too many standard mowers have a roller for stripe effect though.

My budget is €500 approx but might be tempted to stretch to €600 for this as there is one in my local Woodies mentioned by previous poster https://www.woodies.ie/mcculloch-56cm-190cc-petrol-self-propelled-lawnmower-1113573?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwq_vWBRACEiwAEReprD3xE3csp4elJk3CI159WIRA_JhHnDWRF8LMyJt44yCzJ1lph1MQJxoCvjoQAvD_BwE

though it doesn't seem to have the roller thing

But on the other hand half thinking of just getting the €199 Aldi one out tomorrow and get a few years out of it and then when I have a proper budget go for something closer to 800 or more. I might never have that budget though,

the other issue is that I would like to buy in person - greater Dublin area - need it before this weekend!

thanks if anyone has time for replies
    There's a range of Cobra mowers that have rear rollers, good brand and good value here if Newry is within your range.
    http://www.amrentals.ie/Walk_behind_mowers/cobra-lawnmowers.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

thanks a million for the replies

yes, it was Lidl I meant that are on sale today - was Aldi a while back I think

the Cobra option looks quite good - I don't think could make to Newry too soon but might be able to figure something out - may just have to rent from the local hire place for a one-off again in the meantime

re self-propelled, it's what I grew up with but I see what you mean, another thing that can go wrong, hired a push one the other week and it wasn't too bad tbh - except emptying the grass box 25 times after about 9 months without a mow!

• Advertisement

ergo wrote: »
    thanks a million for the replies

yes, it was Lidl I meant that are on sale today - was Aldi a while back I think

the Cobra option looks quite good - I don't think could make to Newry too soon but might be able to figure something out - may just have to rent from the local hire place for a one-off again in the meantime

re self-propelled, it's what I grew up with but I see what you mean, another thing that can go wrong, hired a push one the other week and it wasn't too bad tbh - except emptying the grass box 25 times after about 9 months without a mow!
    There's also this type of striping attachment you can clamp to the handles when mowing, in mulching mode I think. Made by Toro but looks like it would fit any mower.
    https://www.claysequipment.com/new-models/2018-toro-22-lawn-striping-system-20601-26313936b

deezell wrote: »
    There's also this type of striping attachment you can clamp to the handles when mowing, in mulching mode I think. Made by Toro but looks like it would fit any mower.
    https://www.claysequipment.com/new-models/2018-toro-22-lawn-striping-system-20601-26313936b

You can't get the stripes anything like as good as you can with a genuine cylinder mower where both the scissor cut of the cylinder and the roller align the grass in the same direction. Even a rough cut cylinder mower without a rear roller (used to be known as a side wheeler) gives a good striped finish just from the cut alone.

On a rotary mower the part of the blade on the right pushes the grass forward and on the left pushes it back, the roller then only gives a half arsed stripe where the left hand side looks good and the right fades out. You can also cut much much closer with a cylinder because it doesn't scalp in as many situations as a rotary with its much longer (front to back) cutting area.

The obvious problems are if you have to leave the grass for two long between cuts and if on a good lawn the bents go to seed. In both cases a cheap rotary mower can get you back on course.

Cheapest UK seller, £124
    https://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/Toro-Lawn-Striper-HA20601.html

Or from the US including delivery for $97, but you might get hit for VAT.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Toro-Lawn-Striping-Kit-System-Part-20601/536535349

BTW, I've just been in Woodies, while there I took a look at the McCullogh 56cm mower. It's a huge thing, fine big B&S engine, but the rest of it is cheap and shoddy, like a stretched version of their decent enough small 16" mowers. Rear wheels are huge but thin, deck shell too light and the grass bag looks like it came from a much smaller mower. Height adjustment not even centralised, 4 seperate flaky looking metal levers. Very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Hello. We have a smallish garden - approximately 75 sq. meters of grass. It does have some curves an angles - curved patio and flowerbeds, a couple of square raised beds.

I am looking to buy an electric lawnmower, but don't have much experience with them. Looking for something that is OK for amount of grass I have, can be manoeuvred around the curves of the patio and flowerbed relatively easily, and stows away neatly (don't have much storage space). From reading this thread, and elsewhere, I'm tending towards a Bosch. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Woodies have the following (all Bosch):
    • Rotak 32R €134.99
    • Rotak 34R €159.99
    • Rotak 36R €184.99
    • Rotak 40 Ergoflex €299.99
    • Rotak 43 Ergoflex €319.99
    Any recommendation on which of the above is best for my circumstances? And what do the Ergoflex models have that justifies the extra cost?

Thanks for any advice offered.

tmh106 wrote: »
    Hello. We have a smallish garden - approximately 75 sq. meters of grass. It does have some curves an angles - curved patio and flowerbeds, a couple of square raised beds.

I am looking to buy an electric lawnmower, but don't have much experience with them. Looking for something that is OK for amount of grass I have, can be manoeuvred around the curves of the patio and flowerbed relatively easily, and stows away neatly (don't have much storage space). From reading this thread, and elsewhere, I'm tending towards a Bosch. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Woodies have the following (all Bosch):
    • Rotak 32R €134.99
    • Rotak 34R €159.99
    • Rotak 36R €184.99
    • Rotak 40 Ergoflex €299.99
    • Rotak 43 Ergoflex €319.99
    Any recommendation on which of the above is best for my circumstances? And what do the Ergoflex models have that justifies the extra cost?

Thanks for any advice offered.
    I presume the numbers refer to cut width, so bigger chassis, blade more powerful motor in ascending price.
    You should consider a cordless mower for that size. Slightly more expensive but very convenient to use v cable. Here are some ideas.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/cordless-lawn-mowers-c-2_517.html

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hi . Recently got a new Husqvarna TC142 T ride on mower . The issue is that the grass collection box opens mid cutting. This happens even before the box is full . A real pain . Just checking if anyone has had the same problem ? 2 metal latches at the bottom catch the bagger but a bit of weight seems to open them easily .

Daz_ wrote: »
    Hi . Recently got a new Husqvarna TC142 T ride on mower . The issue is that the grass collection box opens mid cutting. This happens even before the box is full . A real pain . Just checking if anyone has had the same problem ? 2 metal latches at the bottom catch the bagger but a bit of weight seems to open them easily .

You get that problem with many of that design of mower if you drive too fast over rough ground.

So the answer is obvious.

The problem tends to be worse when the grass is really dry. Less weight in the grass seems to be the problem.

If it happens in the same part of the garden each time you can lean round and press on the top of the grass box.

You get that problem with many of that design of mower if you drive too fast over rough ground.

So the answer is obvious.

The problem tends to be worse when the grass is really dry. Less weight in the grass seems to be the problem.

If it happens in the same part of the garden each time you can lean round and press on the top of the grass box.

Yeah it’s definitely happening more with the light dry grass. I know what u are saying about bumps and going slow but it’s opening far too easily

Yeah it’s definitely happening more with the light dry grass. I know what u are saying about bumps and going slow but it’s opening far too easily

Pages 24-25 of the user manual deals with bagger attachment and adjustment, and adjustment of the bagger latch spring
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cgpy56tyVAGqh2t3mgkiOv9joAXZMAxz/view?usp=drivesdk

• Advertisement

Pages 24-25 of the user manual deals with bagger attachment and adjustment, and adjustment of the bagger latch spring
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cgpy56tyVAGqh2t3mgkiOv9joAXZMAxz/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks will take a look .

Thanks will take a look .

That’s the TC142. It’s a new mechanism for the TC142t

That’s the TC142. It’s a new mechanism for the TC142t

Doesn't seem to be an operators manual for this online, other than 2015 showing the spring latch, but there is a part diagram for the 142T for 2018. This shows a different lower latching mechanism, with a lever latch rather than a spring. You'll need to check that the upper hinges are adjusted correctly so that the bag face is fully mating into the rear plate, allowing the spring loaded latch levers to fully engage and drop. If the upper hinges are not set right, the bottom face of the bag might be binding on the lower back plate edge. If this keeps the bottom of the bag pushed out, even only by a cm, it's likely the latches, clearly shown in the parts diagram, are not dropping over the bag receivers fully, and are easily popped open. The lever latches on the 142T parts list are shown on the main chassis page, the spring latches of the 142 are shown on the bag parts page. The upper hinge mechanisms are the same for both, so I'm guessing the instructions for aligning the 142T bag are the same for the 142, but more critical if the lever latch doesn't fully engage. Lever latch is on page 6 of the first attachment. Spring latch on page 16 of the second attachment.

It doesn't matter how much the latch engages it can't hold the dump box too firmly or the operator won't be able to lift the box to empty it.

The fact is not everyone's grass is dead flat with no bumps and its quite easy to apply enough momentum to open the box just enough to let out a bit of grass so it can't close up again fully.

At one stage I wasted a load of time trying to adjust how firmly to catch holds the grass box closed and it makes little difference, now I just hold the grass box down as I accelerate or go too fast over a bumpy area.

It doesn't matter how much the latch engages it can't hold the dump box too firmly or the operator won't be able to lift the box to empty it.

The fact is not everyone's grass is dead flat with no bumps and its quite easy to apply enough momentum to open the box just enough to let out a bit of grass so it can't close up again fully.

At one stage I wasted a load of time trying to adjust how firmly to catch holds the grass box closed and it makes little difference, now I just hold the grass box down as I accelerate or go too fast over a bumpy area.

But it would matter. The latch is designed to require an initial high amount of torque on the lifting lever to overcome the latch spring. Once the latch is partially raised the amount of torue required to release the latch reduces, until the bag/ box is now only held by the weight of the grass. Earlier Castelgarden models had no latch, as the box was hinged so close to the front that all the weight of the box and grass kept it pressed forward. These types were heavy to tilt and empty. Latched grass boxes have hinges set deeper into the box to balance the grass weight on both sides, making it easier to pivot the box for emptying, but also making it less firmly closed by gravity, hence the need for the latch. I once hit a bump hard enough to jump the castelgarden box clear off the mower, but in normal use it never swung out. My newer mower is firmly latched, and there's no way I could see it releasing from a jolt unless it wasn't fully home in the first place. Those mowers are delivered to the dealers with the box and rear hinges unassembled. If the hinge plates are not accurately fitted, horizontally and vertically, it's unlikly that the latch and receiver at the bottom will mate properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

Thats the least of the problem, many more ahead of you.

sheelbee wrote: »
    Thats the least of the problem, many more ahead of you.

What ? Very cryptic indeed. At the moment it’s the only problem and therefore The only one to worry about and try to resolve !

But it would matter. The latch is designed to require an initial high amount of torque on the lifting lever to overcome the latch spring. Once the latch is partially raised the amount of torue required to release the latch reduces, until the bag/ box is now only held by the weight of the grass. Earlier Castelgarden models had no latch, as the box was hinged so close to the front that all the weight of the box and grass kept it pressed forward. These types were heavy to tilt and empty. Latched grass boxes have hinges set deeper into the box to balance the grass weight on both sides, making it easier to pivot the box for emptying, but also making it less firmly closed by gravity, hence the need for the latch. I once hit a bump hard enough to jump the castelgarden box clear off the mower, but in normal use it never swung out. My newer mower is firmly latched, and there's no way I could see it releasing from a jolt unless it wasn't fully home in the first place. Those mowers are delivered to the dealers with the box and rear hinges unassembled. If the hinge plates are not accurately fitted, horizontally and vertically, it's unlikly that the latch and receiver at the bottom will mate properly.

It seems pretty firm when closed initially . Looking at the latch there doesn’t appear to be
    Much room for adjustment at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just wondering what most people are setting mower height to? I have been using 1 but I got lawn done last year so it was still growing. This year it is strong so even with 2 cuts a week the mower can be struggling so moving up the height

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just wondering what most people are setting mower height to? I have been using 1 but I got lawn done last year so it was still growing. This year it is strong so even with 2 cuts a week the mower can be struggling so moving up the height

Fairly high on a honda 2513 number 6 on the 1-7 scale which is about 50mm.

Advertisement