Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If there aren't too many obstacles and you don't need to pick up and its level enough for a triple then you won't beat a Saxon triple on speed or price. Name has changed as I'm not sure Saxon exist anymore but someone will be selling exactly the same mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thisyear

I can prob cut once or twice a week. That was mulching and pushing it. Grass wasn't that long.

Yep tempted with a triple

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hi guys - any general opinions on Oleo Mac tractor mowers ?

thisyear wrote: »
    I can prob cut once or twice a week. That was mulching and pushing it. Grass wasn't that long.

I haven't priced that size ride on for ages but I don't think you'll get anything cheaper than the Castle Garden 42 inch and they are fairly easy to get parts for.

Thats why I was interested in your tee mower idea is it opens up a few other avenues.

• Advertisement

Was chatting to agent for them and they recommended spending couple hundred more on a honda believe it or not. Said better in wet grass because of blades acting as a blower. Said same mower other than that. A 48inch is nearly 5k which got me thinking about the triple

Yep tempted with a triple

I've used them a few times you really need another mower like a small rotary to use with them because they normally can't get close in and cut every part of the lawn but they are quick with a 60inch cut (iirc there is also a 72inch). Having 3 independent cylinders means you can cut ground that isn't 100% flat without scalping.

Maintenance is high as you have three cylinders to look after but they are fairly heavy duty and very reliable the biggest issue is not wrapping then around a tree. I've seen them survive taking on a gate post but you do need to know someone handy with at welding if you do that sort of thing. Until you have the hang of them its hard to visualise how big they are and to turn.

They also take up a good deal of space for storage/garaging.

Was chatting to agent for them and they recommended spending couple hundred more on a honda believe it or not. Said better in wet grass because of blades acting as a blower. Said same mower other than that. A 48inch is nearly 5k which got me thinking about the triple

I've an old Honda 36inch which to all intents and purposes is a Castle Garden machine. I need a new deck sometime and the deck I'll get is the same one used on the Castle Gardens that size. Most of the machines that pick up the grass and fire it over the back axle aren't too bad in the wet.

If you can I would go with the 48 inch rotary, the triple is really a professional machine and by professional I mean for use by someone who has the cash to keep it running as one stone in one and you've got a big bill to fix and regrind. A rotary just keeps on going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

If you're spending €5 grand, the Viking MT 6127 ZL is a massive powerful 50" cut machine. It'll knock 30% off that mowing time. I bought one used last year. It dwarfed my old 40" Castelgarden.
    It's up in Balieboro for €4950,
    http://www.donegan.ie/product_info.php?products_id=231
    In Cork,
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/viking-t6-mt6127zl/18549613

If 48" cut is enough, this is good value for €3750.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/castelgarden-ptx-220-hd-ride-on-mower-with-hydrostatic-transmission-and-grass-collector-p-10194.html

deezell wrote: »
    Generic engine and less than 16" cut. Mountfield a decent brand though so blades and parts always available. You get what you pay for, and this might be more than enough for your needs.
    This stiga is comparable size and quality to the husky, 100€ less.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-combi-48-self-propelled-petrol-lawn-mower-bs-550e-engine-mulching-system-p-10218.html

Just ordered the Stiga online with a tarp and jerry can for 100e less than the Husqvarana. Thanks for your advice. Hopefully there is no hassle with delivery etc.

• Advertisement

Just ordered the Stiga online with a tarp and jerry can for 100e less than the Husqvarana. Thanks for your advice. Hopefully there is no hassle with delivery etc.

There's a good few Agrieuro customers on here. All good that I've read. Maybe we should look for a Boards discount code from Agrieuro, though I'm not for a minute against going into a dealer and haggling. D'internet is a part of life these days. I've just trawled and got a replacement Karcher K4 high pressure outlet coupler for €20 including delivery from a real shop, fraction of normal spare part cost, so internet business is part of their business model also.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi, looking at getting a dedicated mulching mower, spent last couple of weeks looking them up, and have no idea which one , large lawn, rough enough, have ride on for the acre side, and bagged mower for the areas ride on can't do, about half acre fruit trees and flower beds. badly need some advice on best one,
    https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/lawn-mowers/lb-553s-e/967257001/
    https://patfogartylawnmowers.stihl-dealer.ie/en-ie/product/cb9713dc-97c3-4165-bd32-abf026e415db/mb-2-rt/
    http://www.lawnmowershop.ie/home/walk-behind-mowers/self-drive.html the JD JS63V
    it must be easy enough to start, and move around, [ short older female ]
    would really appreciate any input, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

peasant wrote: »
    Some reviews suggest that it has an issue with clogging and isn't the strongest on slopes. I'd say you'd want a test drive on your fire break before you commit.

Another good tip, thanks peasant, I'll see if that's possible. I may get a chance to try out another customer's Toro in for a service rather than being given a new one.

Just did one of the "lawns" yesterday with the 53cm GTM - took 3 hours on a setting of 5 (in the height scale 1 to 7), because I had to stop every pass to empty the grassbag.

sdp wrote: »
    Hi, looking at getting a dedicated mulching mower, spent last couple of weeks looking them up, and have no idea which one , large lawn, rough enough, have ride on for the acre side, and bagged mower for the areas ride on can't do, about half acre fruit trees and flower beds. badly need some advice on best one,
    https://patfogartylawnmowers.stihl-dealer.ie/en-ie/product/cb9713dc-97c3-4165-bd32-abf026e415db/mb-2-rt/
    http://www.lawnmowershop.ie/home/walk-behind-mowers/self-drive.html the JD JS63V

Check back a few pages there was a good review of the Husquvarna

OK found it
    TheTorment wrote: »
    At the beginning of the year I made a purchase of this Husqvarna mulching mower.

I used the old mower for the first few cuts to collect grass. Yesterday was the first time that I took the new mower out.

The grass was reasonably short but still needed a good cut. It was also dry enough to use the new mower.

It's a pretty robust machine. It tackled the grass exceptionally well giving a good even cut. It's also quite fast at it's quickest speed and it wasn't long before the sweat was rolling whilst walking after it.
    I did have to reduce the speed in the more finicky areas around beds and trees etc and the control in these tight areas was slightly difficult but I'd say with use the control will just be a matter of getting used to the new machine.

The mulching aspect was impressive. The lawn was cut to a very fine mulch that neither gathered on the grass or my boots as I walked behind.

When finished the lawn looked neat and tidy, the cut looked good and save for the odd piece if grass that gathered on the rear wheels there was no clumping of cuttings. In fact the lawn looked as if the grass had been collected.

Quite impressed with my purchase to be honest.

Perhaps PM TheTorment for more info? It is a nice machine one I thought of getting myself.

Next door neighbor has an older version of the John Deer at the bottom of the page of your last link and its a great machine but it is a bit of a beast and quite heavy.

All big price dedicated mulchers. The stiga s50 is €599
    http://www.hanlysgardenmachinery.ie/product-information/stiga-multiclip-plus-lawnmower-50s

Same mower but with electric start B&S engine, €649 ( only e start mulcher I've come across)
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-multiclip-plus-50-se-mulching-self-propelled-petrol-lawn-mower-bs-675-is-engine-p-10221.html

Thank you so much deezell, I like the idea of electric start, and both a good price, do you know if the electric start is reliable? out of interest, which one would you go for yourself?
    Thank you

Thank you so much deezell, I like the idea of electric start, and both a good price, do you know if the electric start is reliable? out of interest, which one would you go for yourself?
    Thank you

That's the new generation Briggs and Stratton "instart" lithium ion battery electric start. It just clips on and off the top of the engine, bring it in to charge, bit like cordless tools. I'm considering the instart bagger mower, but if I was looking for a mulcher Id pick this, as pull starting is a pain for herself who uses it mostly.

Hi
    Ive the Husqvarna that you linked above.

Ive had it since the beginning of the year and have used it probably half a dozen times now. Its a fantastic machine. Great cut and mulch. Once the grass is dry the cut lawn will look like it had been bagged.
    Its a powerful and robust machine that eats up the grass area which I have (around 1/4 acre) and I have knocked at least an hour from my cutting time when I was bagging before.

Its very easy start. Starts first time with a gentle pull of the chord. My wife is able to start ours.

Maneuvering the mower around flower beds and features can be tricky the first few times. But by reducing the speed and with practice this has no longer been an issue.

Ive been very impressed with the mower so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

deezell wrote:
    Generic engine and less than 16" cut. Mountfield a decent brand though so blades and parts always available. You get what you pay for, and this might be more than enough for your needs. This stiga is comparable size and quality to the husky, 100€ less.

deezell wrote:
    There's a good few Agrieuro customers on here. All good that I've read. Maybe we should look for a Boards discount code from Agrieuro, though I'm not for a minute against going into a dealer and haggling. D'internet is a part of life these days. I've just trawled and got a replacement Karcher K4 high pressure outlet coupler for €20 including delivery from a real shop, fraction of normal spare part cost, so internet business is part of their business model also.

After asking plenty of stupid questions and help from deezell and shelby (i think), I got the same Stiga from Agrieuro. I am very happy with the decision as it looks very solid and well built

The cables were folded with the handle and were bent (sort of broken). The mower is working fine so i been lazy and Emailed the seller after a month and they are sending me the replacement cables so pretty good service etc.

TheTorment wrote: »
    Hi
    Ive the Husqvarna that you linked above.

Ive had it since the beginning of the year and have used it probably half a dozen times now. Its a fantastic machine. Great cut and mulch. Once the grass is dry the cut lawn will look like it had been bagged.
    Its a powerful and robust machine that eats up the grass area which I have (around 1/4 acre) and I have knocked at least an hour from my cutting time when I was bagging before.

Its very easy start. Starts first time with a gentle pull of the chord. My wife is able to start ours.

Maneuvering the mower around flower beds and features can be tricky the first few times. But by reducing the speed and with practice this has no longer been an issue.

Ive been very impressed with the mower so far.

Thank you Torment, good to hear from someone who has one, I know nothing at all about mulchers, Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions :o
    Is it a fast pace? heavy to turn up to clean under? can it cope if grass is a bit damp? my bagged mower is rear wheel , I'm guessing front wheel is easier to turn? thanks so much

• Advertisement

Thank you Torment, good to hear from someone who has one, I know nothing at all about mulchers, Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions :o
    Is it a fast pace? heavy to turn up to clean under? can it cope if grass is a bit damp? my bagged mower is rear wheel , I'm guessing front wheel is easier to turn? thanks so much

No problem.

The pace can be set on a lever. Highest setting is what I'd term a brisk type walk. I set the lever just below the highest setting and find it easier to control when cutting around flowerbeds etc.
    It's lifted from the front and tilted backwards. It's very easy and not in the least heavy to do so. You do need something to prop it up though as it won't stay up on it's own. I use an off cut from a sleeper to do this.
    I've cut the grass when it's been damp and it does a pretty decent job. You'll find the cuttings get stuck on the rear wheels and that falls off in clumps. Other than that no problems.
    The front wheel drive makes turning simple, just lift the front wheels and turn. It's not difficult at all.

Let me know if you've any other questions.

thanks you both deezell and Torment, for all good advice, and answering questions :) decided to go have a look in shop, as needed to see one in person,
    in the end went for the Husqvarna LB553Se, mostly because the shop is only 20 mins away, if any problems arose in future, its a pricey bit of kit, but hoping it will last well over my rugged ground, anyway got 30 euro off, fill of oil and petrol, plus one of each to take away, and a bag of goodies. so it then had its first run, great fun! def easy to start, Mam could start it, took a bit of getting used to, but it done a great job, could not see any clippings,its no light weight, and different turning with fwd, thanks again
    Mam gives it the thumbs up!

[IMG][/img]jl1ohe.jpg[[IMG][/img]ivzsie.jpg/IMG]

Good stuff sdp! Glad to help out :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Would the Husqvarna LB553Se be suitable for cutting a lawn if the grass was long or would the cuttings have to be gathered. Mulching sounds like the answer to my prayers as I am not great at cutting in time. If not suitable, any suggestions for a good mower that will collect grass when wet or damp. A ride on would not be suitable but a mower with at least 20" cut. Thanks in advance.

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Would the Husqvarna LB553Se be suitable for cutting a lawn if the grass was long or would the cuttings have to be gathered. Mulching sounds like the answer to my prayers as I am not great at cutting in time. If not suitable, any suggestions for a good mower that will collect grass when wet or damp. A ride on would not be suitable but a mower with at least 20" cut. Thanks in advance.

sorry not much help to you, As I have only have mower couple of days, and used it on grass that had been cut and collected the week before, I used the second highest setting and that gave a very good close cut, as the ground is quite rough, I'd never be able to use a lower height then that. the highest cutting height is 65mm , it really depends on how long you leave your grass before cutting,

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

I bought a mower from Agrieuro last week, how long does it take to ship from Italy to Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

SCOL wrote: »
    I bought a mower from Agrieuro last week, how long does it take to ship from Italy to Ireland ?

ordered mine on the 11th, it said it should be here on the 21st, tracking just says in transit

garv123 wrote: »
    ordered mine on the 11th, it said it should be here on the 21st, tracking just says in transit

Big Lorry turned up outside work today with a delivery for me,
    one 300x300x300mm box inside.. The free service bits, no sign of the mower on a pallet,
    Rang the Logistics company, they forgot the pallet and delivered just the small box. :rolleyes::rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

So around 6 days delivery and it's only €20.

I'll be expecting mine late next week then !!! I'll have the fork lift charged up.

• Advertisement

So around 6 days delivery and it's only €20.

I'll be expecting mine late next week then !!! I'll have the fork lift charged up.
    Yeah cant see how they do it for €20, local packages with fastway are €10!!

Advertisement