Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Would the Husqvarna LB553Se be suitable for cutting a lawn if the grass was long or would the cuttings have to be gathered. Mulching sounds like the answer to my prayers as I am not great at cutting in time. If not suitable, any suggestions for a good mower that will collect grass when wet or damp. A ride on would not be suitable but a mower with at least 20" cut. Thanks in advance.

I can answer this for you after this evening.

Id left the grass since the weekend and I also lowered the mowing height.
    It was disappointing if Im honest. The grass was last cut 5 days ago on the 3rd setting so it wasnt overly long.
    This evening I dropped it to the 2nd lowest setting (no idea of height) and at times it struggled. The grass was not mulched at all either especially in areas of thicker growth. It came out in clumps just as if it had been cut with a regular mower without the bag.

As an experiment, halfway through the cut I again raised it to the 3rd setting (the usual one) and it ploughed through it happily mulching well.

Conclusion; if i want to mow at the 2nd setting I have to be more frequent with my mowing.

So in answer to your question Emmersonn, I dont think it would be suited yto your style of mowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Folks I have a Husqvarna R53SV which came into contact with a fairy big stone yesterday and the blade needs replacing by the looks of it - after years of great service. I understand it is a 21 inch blade. Any suggestions as to where is the best place to buy spares online? I've gone back through the thread and it seems a lot of the dealers posted dnt sell spares? Any links appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

I need to replace my mower, it is a Viking 248t which was great for a few years but with weather and other conditions my lawn has become tougher to cut. The lawn has lots of moss which I am currently treating but thatch is also an issue. The viking just was not able to cut through it even at the highest setting and would cut out and may not start for 20 mins. My plan is keep a scarifying tool on the viking and scarify the lawn on a regular basis. I am looking for a more powerful and robust mower but have no idea what i should be looking for. I borrowed a mower and think it had a 190cc B&S engine ??? and it flew through it and was not under strain. I would spend up to 700eu for a trouble free mower and a quiet life. Lawn size would be approx size of 3 tennis courts and i would like to cut at least once a week. Hopefully some of the experienced people here can help. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I need to replace my mower, it is a Viking 248t which was great for a few years but with weather and other conditions my lawn has become tougher to cut. The lawn has lots of moss which I am currently treating but thatch is also an issue. The viking just was not able to cut through it even at the highest setting and would cut out and may not start for 20 mins. My plan is keep a scarifying tool on the viking and scarify the lawn on a regular basis. I am looking for a more powerful and robust mower but have no idea what i should be looking for. I borrowed a mower and think it had a 190cc B&S engine ??? and it flew through it and was not under strain. I would spend up to 700eu for a trouble free mower and a quiet life. Lawn size would be approx size of 3 tennis courts and i would like to cut at least once a week. Hopefully some of the experienced people here can help. Thanks.

Blades sharp and full speed rpm?
    Been to the shop for a service?

Just a thought before splashing out

49801 wrote: »
    Blades sharp and full speed rpm?
    Been to the shop for a service?

Just a thought before splashing out

Yip, all done. Brought it to a local cowboy last year and to be honest it never recovered. Brought it to main dealer since and it is still struggling. I think the lawn was in such poor condition it was very taxing on the mower. I will keep the older one to keep the moss and thatch at a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Yip, all done. Brought it to a local cowboy last year and to be honest it never recovered. Brought it to main dealer since and it is still struggling. I think the lawn was in such poor condition it was very taxing on the mower. I will keep the older one to keep the moss and thatch at a minimum.

I'd question if you were doing more damage than good with the dethatching if you are using one of those rotary blade add-ons?

Its definitely the moss. I mow a lot of different lawns and there is one in particular that's always wet and thick alive with moss. The lawn mower wheels sink into the moss and even on the top setting the mower struggles. It really slows down the self drive too. This is a pro Honda too. Fine on other lawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭milout

Hi

Looking for advice on a cheap mower.

Had a read through of the last few pages and tempted by the Stiga from AgriEuro, but this from Woodies looks like a similar spec and has the bonus of being in stock at my local store:

https://www.woodies.ie/garden-and-outdoor/garden-powertools/lawnmowers/pro-lawn-46cm-140cc-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower-1106893

Garden is about .5 of an acre. No beds, so pretty straight lines with a mild slope.

Unfortunately no money for a more expensive machine. Around €350 max is our limit.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

milout wrote: »
    Hi

Looking for advice on a cheap mower.

Had a read through of the last few pages and tempted by the Stiga from AgriEuro, but this from Woodies looks like a similar spec and has the bonus of being in stock at my local store:

https://www.woodies.ie/garden-and-outdoor/garden-powertools/lawnmowers/pro-lawn-46cm-140cc-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower-1106893

Garden is about .5 of an acre. No beds, so pretty straight lines with a mild slope.

Unfortunately no money for a more expensive machine. Around €350 max is our limit.

Cheers
    I was in there buying bits and pieces the other day and had a good tyre kick at the Pro Lawns that were all lined up. B&S engine is always a good start, nice big grass bag, deck metal thin enough but keep it clean, or paint the underside with a couple of coats of red oxide before you ever use it and it'll prevent corrosion. Built quality is Ok, hard plastic wheels might be prone to breaking, but they are probably cheap to replace. The central height adjuster seemed nice and sturdy, all the other bits are adequate pattern type parts. Rust proof it, Mow high initially until you find it's sweet spot that gives a nice cut and doesn't labour the engine , rust proof deck and go around all the bolts after it's first few mows and check them for tightness. Don't turn it heavily when the bag is full, don't force the self drive and you could get a long life from this mower.
    The Mcullough and the Stiga in this list below are in your price range, are both made in the EU, same cut width, Stiga has a 550 series engine, 10% more torque. The Stiga brand still carries a quality edge, even in their pared down products. It would have a better resale later if you went up a notch.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/lawn-mowers-c-2.html#sort=price-asc&tech59=46%20cm,48%20cm&tech1098=Front%20Traction,Rear%20Traction,Rear%20drive%20-%20variator&tech1015=Briggs%26Stratton

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭milout

Thanks Deezell

I've gone for the Stiga 48 self propelled. It will save me going to the gym and hopefully the weather will be better and the grass dry by the time if arrives.
    deezell wrote: »
    I was in there buying bits and pieces the other day and had a good tyre kick at the Pro Lawns that were all lined up. B&S engine is always a good start, nice big grass bag, deck metal thin enough but keep it clean, or paint the underside with a couple of coats of red oxide before you ever use it and it'll prevent corrosion. Built quality is Ok, hard plastic wheels might be prone to breaking, but they are probably cheap to replace. The central height adjuster seemed nice and sturdy, all the other bits are adequate pattern type parts. Rust proof it, Mow high initially until you find it's sweet spot that gives a nice cut and doesn't labour the engine , rust proof deck and go around all the bolts after it's first few mows and check them for tightness. Don't turn it heavily when the bag is full, don't force the self drive and you could get a long life from this mower.
    The Mcullough and the Stiga in this list below are in your price range, are both made in the EU, same cut width, Stiga has a 550 series engine, 10% more torque. The Stiga brand still carries a quality edge, even in their pared down products. It would have a better resale later if you went up a notch.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/lawn-mowers-c-2.html#sort=price-asc&tech59=46%20cm,48%20cm&tech1098=Front%20Traction,Rear%20Traction,Rear%20drive%20-%20variator&tech1015=Briggs%26Stratton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

My Stiga 55 is on the way from Italy should be here late this week/early next.

Before I use it should I put a few coats of paint or is Red Oxide the only option ?

SCOL wrote: »

Before I use it should I put a few coats of paint or is Red Oxide the only option ?

Rust primer or hammerite. Red oxide is nice and thick, coats well, doesn't dry brittle so won't flake. The deck will be painted but how well primed it is underneath depends on manufacture quality. It's not unusual to see large flake of lacquer coming away from unprimed steel on cheap goods. Where engine/ fitting bolts come through are good starting points for corrosion, if the bolts have scraped the deck paint. I'm being a bit old school with this advice, with so much stuff discarded these days after 5-6 years, but if rust gets in around the engine bolts on a wet grass encrusted steel deck, you might only get that many years out of it.
    As the grass motion puts a lot of wear on the underside, it pays to reinforce it from the start.

Mine landed this morning just eight days after I ordered. All seems to be in good order but will have to wait for first cut for real test. Have to say it's an impressive service to get something that size shipped from Italy for 20e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Mine landed this morning just eight days after I ordered. All seems to be in good order but will have to wait for first cut for real test. Have to say it's an impressive service to get something that size shipped from Italy for 20e.

Mine arrived yesterday, Made it from italy to ireland on wednesday, 4-5 days is all that took.
    The delivery company delivered the small spares parts box on thursday, they forgot the lawnmower in the depot.. rang up friday and they forgot it again! finally arrived monday evening. Typical that it can make it here in 4 days but takes 4 days to come from Dublin to Waterford

garv123 wrote: »
    Mine arrived yesterday, Made it from italy to ireland on wednesday, 4-5 days is all that took.
    The delivery company delivered the small spares parts box on thursday, they forgot the lawnmower in the depot.. rang up friday and they forgot it again! finally arrived monday evening. Typical that it can make it here in 4 days but takes 4 days to come from Dublin to Waterford

Who does the delivery for them ?

Who does the delivery for them ?

Johnston logistics delivered mine

garv123 wrote: »
    Johnston logistics delivered mine

Same here.

What would the informed people on this site think of this mower. Thanks for the replies so far.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-combi-55-sq-heavy-duty-self-propelled-lawn-mower-honda-gcv-160-engine-p-10204.html

What would the informed people on this site think of this mower. Thanks for the replies so far.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-combi-55-sq-heavy-duty-self-propelled-lawn-mower-honda-gcv-160-engine-p-10204.html

Top mower. Unusually, there are 3 versions of it on this site, the top priced Honda gcv engined model you've linked. The no less impressive Brigs and Stratton version with the new generation 675 EXI series engine for €37 less, and a generic pattern engined version (Chinese engine?) For a whopping €155 less.
    Ignoring the last one, it's your choice between the Honda and B&S, but have a look at the same engine in this one, with a three speed geared drive.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/marina-systems-ma-5500-sb-3v-heavy-duty-lawn-mower-4-in-1-3-gears-bs-675-exi-p-10488.html
    Or either of these identical Castelgardens, one with the Honda engine, the other with the even fancier B&S 775 electric start engine. Drool!

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/large-self-propelled-petrol-lawn-mowers-50-58-cm-c-2_268.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Mower coming into Lidl the end of the month

https://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/www_lidl_ie_3x/hs.xsl/productPageFinder.xml?listId=413&articleId=9476&type=offerdatelist&rdeLocaleAttr=en&productId=9476&countryCode=IE

Easy-to-operate cutting height adjustment with 7 lengths (25-75mm)

Easy cleaning of the mower with garden hose connection on the mower deck

Includes insert for mulching function, 5 litre petrol can with safety lock, spare spark plug and spark plug spanner

Quick-release folding functions for spacesaving storage

3 mowing functions: with side discharge, collection container or mulching insert

SPECIFICATIONS

Engine Power 2.19kW (3.0hp) at 2800rpm

Cubic capacity 150cc

Tank volume 0.8L

Collection box 60L

-Reliable “Instant Start” electrical start system with long-life Li-Ion battery

-Self Propelled

-Easy-to-remove 60 litre collection box with carry handle

-OHV 4 stroke petrol engine Briggs & Stratton 575 iS Series™

More power with lower fuel consumption thanks to the optimised combustion chamber design.

300€

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en_gb/product-catalog/engines/lawn-mower-engines/575is-series-instart.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

brevity wrote: »
    Mower coming into Lidl the end of the month

https://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/www_lidl_ie_3x/hs.xsl/productPageFinder.xml?listId=413&articleId=9476&type=offerdatelist&rdeLocaleAttr=en&productId=9476&countryCode=IE

Easy-to-operate cutting height adjustment with 7 lengths (25-75mm)

Easy cleaning of the mower with garden hose connection on the mower deck

Includes insert for mulching function, 5 litre petrol can with safety lock, spare spark plug and spark plug spanner

Quick-release folding functions for spacesaving storage

3 mowing functions: with side discharge, collection container or mulching insert

SPECIFICATIONS

Engine Power 2.19kW (3.0hp) at 2800rpm

Cubic capacity 150cc

Tank volume 0.8L

Collection box 60L

-Reliable “Instant Start” electrical start system with long-life Li-Ion battery

-Self Propelled

-Easy-to-remove 60 litre collection box with carry handle

-OHV 4 stroke petrol engine Briggs & Stratton 575 iS Series™

More power with lower fuel consumption thanks to the optimised combustion chamber design.

300€

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en_gb/product-catalog/engines/lawn-mower-engines/575is-series-instart.html

Looks good to me, the grass box isn't huge and neither is the cutting width at 46cm but that means the engine is well specced for the deck (enough power).

Only think I don't like is the modern electric start because its the only option you can't start it any other way if the batter is flat or damaged.

my3cents wrote: »
    Looks good to me, the grass box isn't huge and neither is the cutting width at 46cm but that means the engine is well specced for the deck (enough power).

Only think I don't like is the modern electric start because its the only option you can't start it any other way if the batter is flat or damaged.
    That's a decent mower with the new generation Instart electric start engine. Much like a power tool battery which plugs in to start. I'm sure someone will figure how to jump start, buts it's a lithium battery, a few minutes on the charger will fill it enough for a start, it's not used for mowing. As with any electric start engine ( ride on mower, your car), there is no manual way to start it if battery is knackered or the starter motor fails. I've started a ride on with a failed starter gear by dropping a large socket on the top engine nut (remove cover) and spinning it with a decent power drill, or a rachet wrench. It done until I got a new gear for it.

I got my Stiga 55 delivered today so it going to get a few hours use tonight on grass that has not been cut for 2 weeks.

I got my Stiga 55 delivered today so it going to get a few hours use tonight on grass that has not been cut for 2 weeks.

Report back when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 darmul

Bought a Castlegarden xs55 bvwe4 after asking on here,
    Got 2 cuts done so far on rough enough ground, Im impressed so far, big step up from the lidl mower i used a few times.

Have the highest of the grass cut and collected, and some of the lower stuff mulched, so hoping to keep it all mulched from now on, saves a lot more time.

Dont want to jump the gun yet, but very happy so far, plenty power, wide cut and didn't sound under any pressure when mulching. Didnt find it difficult to manoeuvre, although it is fairly long.
    The ground is very uneven and rough, so im sure this would work a dream in a proper garden.
    Seems very well made. Hopefully it stands the test of time!

Big thanks to everyone who offered advice, Think it was Deezell who pointed me in the direction of this model.

Agrieuro had fast shipping with plenty free service parts and oil, Shame about their irish courier forgetting the pallet twice tho :rolleyes:

451718.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hi Guys . Thinking of changing my Husqvarna tractor mower for an Oleo Mac 125 model . Anyone have an opinion on the Oleo Mac or used them before? Dealer is recommending it .

Can’t find a huge amount about them online , seen more popular in Europe than here ..

darmul wrote: »

Probably a good price for a commercial type mower. If you have a lot of fiddly beds and trees it will be handy, think of a contractor doing verges in a housing estate. You'll need to lock the wheels for comfortable straight runs, it would be like a supermarket trolley otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 darmul

Re; deezell
    Thanks for reply, I've had good experience with Kohler in the past, but have seen a review on the same machine since saying it is VERY heavy, so me doing passes on my steep slope, even with the wheels locked, is a non runner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

as we are looking at electric start mowers but no pull cord to start if needed now to fill them up with dear petrol and to charge the battery if it goes dead no jumping here in a middle of a half of acre of land and to replace the battery on the mower will be dearer than the one for the car

Advertisement