Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

jacob2 wrote: »
    as we are looking at electric start mowers but no pull cord to start if needed now to fill them up with dear petrol and to charge the battery if it goes dead no jumping here in a middle of a half of acre of land and to replace the battery on the mower will be dearer than the one for the car
    As it's a lithium power tool style battery, I would expect it to be very reliable. It would only need the smallest charge remaining to spin the engine. Fully charged it lasts 50 starts. It doesn't charge on the mower, you just pop it on the charger now and then. Lithium batteries can be nearly fully charged in as little as 40 minutes depending on the charger, so 5 minutes charge of a flat one should suffice for several starts. In the long run, you're as likely to be stranded by a broken pull cord or recoil sping. This leaves your mower unusable for days or weeks until you source the exact assembly, these can be pricey, and if you pay a service centre to fit it, it will cost a shed load more than a new battery. Re-cording a recoil is a pita, a battery just pops in.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

SCOL wrote: »
    I got my Stiga 55 delivered today so it going to get a few hours use tonight on grass that has not been cut for 2 weeks.

I started cutting with my new Stiga 55 on Friday.

I had it all set up within a few minutes and ready for cutting very easy to start as my old one was 12years old. It moves along a bit slower that my old machine which was a 6.5 B&S engine with 3 gears this engine revs 500rpm less so it quieter.
    The grass was not cut for 2 weeks so it was a bit long and it was well able to handle it no problems. I'm going to start mulching from now on so I'll see how that goes.
    One thing I noticed was the height adjuster I have it set at the 2nd height and that cuts the grass tight any lower and the body and blade of the machine would dragging on the ground If I have to cut long grass I would have to make up some sort of bracket to lift the mower up higher. I must look and see if there is some sort of adjustment for the wheels as I will only be using the highest adjustment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

SCOL wrote: »
    I started cutting with my new Stiga 55 on Friday.

I had it all set up within a few minutes and ready for cutting very easy to start as my old one was 12years old. It moves along a bit slower that my old machine which was a 6.5 B&S engine with 3 gears this engine revs 500rpm less so it quieter.
    The grass was not cut for 2 weeks so it was a bit long and it was well able to handle it no problems. I'm going to start mulching from now on so I'll see how that goes.
    One thing I noticed was the height adjuster I have it set at the 2nd height and that cuts the grass tight any lower and the body and blade of the machine would dragging on the ground If I have to cut long grass I would have to make up some sort of bracket to lift the mower up higher. I must look and see if there is some sort of adjustment for the wheels as I will only be using the highest adjustment.

I don't know what idiot is designing these height adjusters now but lots of new mowers won't go high enough anymore.

I suspect however its a "safety" feature because you could get a foot easily under a 100 mm gap but less so a 75 mm gap?

my3cents wrote: »
    I don't know what idiot is designing these height adjusters now but lots of new mowers won't go high enough anymore.

I suspect however its a "safety" feature because you could get a foot easily under a 100 mm gap but less so a 75 mm gap?

Never thought of that but I cut a section of field about 4-5 times a year and it would be nice to be able to put it up a few inches. I might just have to keep the old mower for the field or make a bracket to lift the new one up a little higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭Zardoz

my3cents wrote: »

Yes ,its really annoying on newer mowers ,75mm is nowhere near high enough for a high cut.
    Whats the point of having the lower cuts ,20cm on a rotary machine ,its completely impractical. Hardly anyone will use that setting

• Advertisement

The high cut will be needed in this hot weather. It hasnt rained here in the west in well over a week and the temperature is reaching 25 degrees. The next cuts for me will be 100cm anyways.

Checking out the data sheets on Agrieuro shows a bit of variation in max height. The big Castelgarden and some McCullough goes to 90cm, Stiga and Marina at 80, the MTD is at 93 and there are a few others at 75. In fairness, 92 mm, 3.6 inches, would be too high for a football pitch, never mind a lawn. 100mm is very agricultural, more like a thistle topper than a mower. If you have seriously overgrown areas, use a strimmer to take it down a bit, or cut in narrow strips using only a third to a half of the mowers width to get it down to a manageable height.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Hi,

I've a small lawn that I need to buy a lawnmower for. Was toying with idea of getting a robot but it's too small to justify the cost. I want something easy-to-start and preferably mulching to avoid having to dispose of waste. Lidl have this one on Thursday - looks like a good deal: decent warranty, Briggs & Stratton Engine, electronic ignition and mulching fitting. However I'm sceptical that the mulching element of this lawnmower is more of an afterthought and I may have to collect and dispose because the mulching is just not good enough.
    Any thoughts on the mulching question or in general on this lawnmower?

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Moving this query from its own thread in the hope that it will receive more eyeballs on this one - Admin, feel free to delete the thread at https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057876601 as I couldn't see an option to do it myself.

Hi,

I've a small lawn that I need to buy a lawnmower for. Was toying with idea of getting a robot but it's too small to justify the cost. I want something easy-to-start and preferably mulching to avoid having to dispose of waste. Lidl have this one on Thursday - looks like a good deal: decent warranty, Briggs & Stratton Engine, electronic ignition and mulching fitting. However I'm sceptical that the mulching element of this lawnmower is more of an afterthought and I may have to collect and dispose because the mulching is just not good enough.
    Any thoughts on the mulching question or in general on this lawnmower?

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Moving this query from its own thread in the hope that it will receive more eyeballs on this one - Admin, feel free to delete the thread at https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057876601 as I couldn't see an option to do it myself.
    Dedicated mulchers will always be better than 3 in 1 mowers, but even they struggle if you try to take too much off at one go, and they are expensive. The Lidl mower is a good deal. Mow more frequently for best mulching. If it gets away on you, ( bad weather, fortnight holidays), just mow and bag back to mulching height.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

deezell wrote: »
    Top mower. Unusually, there are 3 versions of it on this site, the top priced Honda gcv engined model you've linked. The no less impressive Brigs and Stratton version with the new generation 675 EXI series engine for €37 less, and a generic pattern engined version (Chinese engine?) For a whopping €155 less.
    Ignoring the last one, it's your choice between the Honda and B&S, but have a look at the same engine in this one, with a three speed geared drive.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/marina-systems-ma-5500-sb-3v-heavy-duty-lawn-mower-4-in-1-3-gears-bs-675-exi-p-10488.html
    Or either of these identical Castelgardens, one with the Honda engine, the other with the even fancier B&S 775 electric start engine. Drool!

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/large-self-propelled-petrol-lawn-mowers-50-58-cm-c-2_268.html

Going to bite the bullet and go with this one. Hopefully all goes well.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/castelgarden-xs-55-hvw4-self-propelled-lawn-mower-with-gcv-190-honda-engine-p-8422.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 JMNC1972

Hi,
    I am also considering the Castlegarden xs55 bvwe4 from Agrieuro but before I commit does anyone have any experience with the Husqvarna LC 353V with the composite deck. Garden size is approx. ½ Acre.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I am just wondering what the rate of depreciation is on mowers. I bought Viking in August 2016, had done 1 summer work so far and just started this season.....

Would the second hand price be 50% of what originally paid?

It has no timer to show how many hours etc

Honda engine has a bit more cc/power and a whizzier OHC engine driven by a timing belt, just like a car engine. Hard to find anything bad said against them, but don't accidentally bash the aluminium OHC cover at the front of the engine if pushing the mower deck under railings or the like. Some mowers using this engine even have a little bull bar in front. Report back when you've given it a good lash, with and without the mulching plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Lawnmowers/Rideon-Lawnmowers/Mcculloch-Bs-3125-Petrol-Ride-On-Mower-97cm-And--Free-Trailer-1772712

What do the knowlegable make of the McCulloch B&S 3125?

I know it's a B&S engine. >.<
    Various reviews online are very much hit and miss.

Or any suggestions for something in the same 2.5k bracket? I could maybe stretch to 3k.
    About 0.6 acre on incline.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I am just wondering what the rate of depreciation is on mowers. I bought Viking in August 2016, had done 1 summer work so far and just started this season.....

Would the second hand price be 50% of what originally paid?

It has no timer to show how many hours etc
    Rule of thumb is 25% first time you use it/ first season, then 20% per season on the residual. Example; A 3 grand new ride on is worth €2250 after a season IF you can get a taker, ( 1-2 year warranty remaining helps but it MUST be transferable). 2 seasons, €1800, 3 seasons about half price. Final residual on this easily €500 If it's good nick and working order even after 15+ years, if its a recognised higher end branded model. You'll have spent a good bit on it by then and that is what buyers are looking for.
    I paid 57% of new price for a 2 season top brand ride on. Got twice the machine I was about to buy new.
    Walk behinds are hard to gauge, your best bet is to trawl Adverts/ Donedeal and gauge realistic asking prices. Top brands fetch more, asking prices are often ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭milout

The Stiga 48 manual propulsion arrived yesterday, so gave it the first spin around the front lawn today.

Considering the grass could really have done with another strim beforehand, it did a good job. A bit of effort needed with the longest section, but still manageable.

3 wheelie bins of cutting and thatch removal and the lawn is looking much better.

The Stiga 48 manual propulsion arrived yesterday, so gave it the first spin around the front lawn today.

Considering the grass could really have done with another strim beforehand, it did a good job. A bit of effort needed with the longest section, but still manageable.

3 wheelie bins of cutting and thatch removal and the lawn is looking much better. Still the back of the garden to tackle, but that's for another day

3 wheelie bins of cutting and thatch removal and the lawn is looking much better. Still the back of the garden to tackle, but that's for another day

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Lawnmowers/Rideon-Lawnmowers/Mcculloch-Bs-3125-Petrol-Ride-On-Mower-97cm-And--Free-Trailer-1772712

Or any suggestions for something in the same 2.5k bracket? I could maybe stretch to 3k.

What's the next best ride-on after the Hondas?
    They're just a bit to pricey for me new.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hi Toaster

We got a McCulloigh ride on for our Dad about 7 years ago. No major problems but one thing I would say is that it’s really noisy . Don’t know if that’s they way they are now but this one really rattles.

• Advertisement

Thanks Daz
    I went with a Honda HF2417HME from AM Rentals in the end.

http://www.amrentals.ie/Ride_on_Lawnmowers/Honda-ride-on-lawnmower.htm

Thanks Daz
    I went with a Honda HF2417HME from AM Rentals in the end.

http://www.amrentals.ie/Ride_on_Lawnmowers/Honda-ride-on-lawnmower.htm

Thats a huge step up from the McCullough, which was underpowered, especially going up a slope, with only 6Kw (8HP) available from a single cylinder engine. As Daz said, it would have have rattled and hummed and whined (just like Bono). I think you exceeded your €3k ceiling?! Still a good buy at that price for the cut width, the power, The V twin engine especially, and the brand.

Happy to hear that deezell. Wanted to get something to last so the budget was stretched.
    Is worth doing anything to it from the get go to improve it's lifespan? I was thinking a lick of Hammerite or the likes underneath the deck.

I starting mulching with my Sigma 55 last night, probable took half the time to do one of the lawns as there is no stopping and starting
    emptying the grass.

Great job. Can I keep mulching as long as I keep cutting every 3-4 days ? Is it recommend to do a collect at the end of the season ?

Happy to hear that deezell. Wanted to get something to last so the budget was stretched.
    Is worth doing anything to it from the get go to improve it's lifespan? I was thinking a lick of Hammerite or the likes underneath the deck.

Couple of coats of red oxide. Deck will last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

brevity wrote: »

Picked this up today, my first lawnmower...awww.

Weighs a ton, getting it from the trolley to the boot of my car and getting the boot closed took me 15 minutes so not off to the best of starts.

Gonna read the manual when I get home so I know what's what.

Will keep ye posted on my adventures...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

brevity wrote: »
    Picked this up today, my first lawnmower...awww.

Weighs a ton, getting it from the trolley to the boot of my car and getting the boot closed took me 15 minutes so not off to the best of starts.

Gonna read the manual when I get home so I know what's what.

Will keep ye posted on my adventures...

Don't forget you need engine oil I don't think they give you any and the engine won't have any in it. There should be a yellow label on the fuel tank to remind you to fill with oil before starting. Normally you use SAE 30 Woodies or Homebase would be good places to try tonight if you have to get any.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

deezell wrote: »
    Couple of coats of red oxide. Deck will last forever.

Always wondered about that Deezell. Is it ok to apply this if the mower has been used ( just got a new one and used once this week )

Daz_ wrote: »
    Always wondered about that Deezell. Is it ok to apply this if the mower has been used ( just got a new one and used once this week )

Just wash and clean it off. What you're trying to achieve is an extra layer or rust proofing, and a layer which is resistant to flaking. Some enamels on cutting decks seems to come away in big flakes following a stone chip say. Once rust rust takes it will creep under the remaining paint.
    If you thproughly clean the deck end of season and touch up worn enamel or scratches that have gone through to the metal, you will extend the life of the deck. A couple of coats of rust primer before it's ever used will prevent brittle enamel flaking, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

So it seems Lidl forgot to pack the screws needed to assemble the grass collecting box...

Grrr.

Advertisement