Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dub14

Hi - i'm new here and looking for a bit of help

I've a brand new McCulloch 40-450C and I used it for the first time today and it has all ceased up on me. I didnt (I know !!!) check for oil before I used it. I have checked now and while it isnt dry it isn't full either.

If I have ceased the engine is that something I can fix (or get fixed) or is it an expensive mistake on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

seems so, I personally know lots of deal to be had. Seems you're not in the know thats all but then I have been wheeling and dealing in gardencare equip a few years on and off and know a few contacts. If you think I'm bul****ting you fair enough but there's a whole world out there outsdie Kildare you know!

Just back from a week's holiday and am checking up on some posts. Didn't mean to infer that anyone was bullsh1tting about prices etc but was just reporting on my frustrating experiences with several lawn mower sales centres here in north Kildare. While these guys appeared to have loads of stock lying round the place, and I was the only guy in their store, they just wouldn't entertain any reduction in their asking price. Even when I asked for an extended warranty (bearing in mind that the mowing season is coming to an end and so the mower won't be used over the winter) they also refused to budge on extending the warranty to at least 18 months. I walked away and left them to their mowers but it was a reminder that the Celtic Tiger days of wanting top dollar for everything are not entirely gone yet.

As for buying outside Kildare, I did consider buying up north but if something goes wrong and I can't fix it myself, then it'd be a long trek back up north to get it fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 whats a board?

Hello.

I am wanting to buy a lawnmower but I am not sure about which ones are good and reliable.

I live in a regular house and my back garden maybe 1/8 of an acre and front garden is less.

Yet mowing the grass is a chore. What I am looking for is a petrol lawnmower that makes it easy and that will last for a very long time(perhaps a decade or two). It has to be at least 18" cutting width.

My budget is around €400 but I don't want to overpay for something, that is I don't want to pay €400 for something which is not worth it. I am not sure about which ones are reliable....

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/shopping.a...catid=102.10.1
    user_online.gifreport.gif quote.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Just back from a week's holiday and am checking up on some posts. Didn't mean to infer that anyone was bullsh1tting about prices etc but was just reporting on my frustrating experiences with several lawn mower sales centres here in north Kildare. While these guys appeared to have loads of stock lying round the place, and I was the only guy in their store, they just wouldn't entertain any reduction in their asking price. Even when I asked for an extended warranty (bearing in mind that the mowing season is coming to an end and so the mower won't be used over the winter) they also refused to budge on extending the warranty to at least 18 months. I walked away and left them to their mowers but it was a reminder that the Celtic Tiger days of wanting top dollar for everything are not entirely gone yet.

As for buying outside Kildare, I did consider buying up north but if something goes wrong and I can't fix it myself, then it'd be a long trek back up north to get it fixed.

no worries - but for the same token the way they're sorting you on price, there's no guarantee they'd be any use to you after sales warranty/service.
    Heading up north could well be in your favour, what you'd save would buy you a nice trailer for the car for the run if you don't have one already.:)
    Like those head up their arse dealers don't deserve you hard earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Still haven't purchased :rolleyes: but just wondering if any of you out there possess a Partner ride-on? It's the best price I've got for the spec. Unfortunately it would be coming from the warehouse so I haven't actually seen it. Apparently the brand is a part of Husqvarna Group, so they should be ok I guess. Just looking for some reassurrance cos I can't find any reviews online ....
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 whytie99

that Partner mower is an AYP rebadged I'm 99% sure on that-I have another rebadged version ofthe same mower. It's been grand but spare parts have been problematic. If you hve a guy who can service the brand and get spare parts then it's a grand mower to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Scouserfan

Need to buy my first ride-on before next spring and have looked at this model. We have 3 acres which we will probably fence off to about 1 acre of lawn(when it is finished). Want to buy a decent mnower now and not have to be trading up every so often. Going to cost approx 5,500 to buy new.
    Am I mad ?
    Is it a good price or can I do better ?
    Is it worth the extra ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 whytie99

sounds like a mad amount of money-at least double what a good ride on would cost.

I know but I want this to last for years and am told that the only used kubotas around are ancient because they last so long

Well, kutoba's do last but so do Iseki's and proper John Deere's.
    Basically what you want is a professional built commercial machine that landscapers/contacter would use/buy to use daily - then you'd have a machine to last you over a decade or even 2 if you maintain and use it properly.

• Advertisement

Well, kutoba's do last but so do Iseki's and proper John Deere's.
    Basically what you want is a professional built commercial machine that landscapers/contacter would use/buy to use daily - then you'd have a machine to last you over a decade or even 2 if you maintain and use it properly.
    friend of mine bought a john deere but said it is a nightmare when it comes to picing up wet or damp grass. it is not designed to do so apparently being an american machine. it is a direct rear chute machine also, not a side exit.

Scouserfan wrote: »
    friend of mine bought a john deere but said it is a nightmare when it comes to picing up wet or damp grass. it is not designed to do so apparently being an american machine. it is a direct rear chute machine also, not a side exit.

if you want a mower to collect wet grass, then its 12k you'd need to be spending.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My lawnmower is giving me grief when starting. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Before pulling the rip cord I need to press the plunger a few times to start it. This squirts a small amount of petrol into the intake. It also appears to start some sort of siphon from the tank which is necessary to keep the petrol flowing from the tank.

My problem is that this plunger is no longer effective. I can pump it hundreds of times and no petrol is drawn up. So it sounds that perhaps I have some sort of air/vacuum leak. The thing is, if I remove the small carburettor and then reattach it the primer works. Then I can start the engine and it runs perfectly. If I stop the mower and leave it for an hour it will start again but it does take a quite a few pumps of the primer before I can feel resistance and hear the petrol being squirted. If I leave the mower overnight then the problem is back and I need to remove & refit the carb to get it started.

I have checked the gasket between the carb and the tank and appears OK. I have also attempted to start the engine by first pouring a small amount of petrol down the carb but the engine only runs until the small amount of petrol is used so I reckon that the primer also gets some sort of siphon going.

The lawnmower has a Briggs & Stratton 3.5HP 4 stroke engine if that's of any help.

Any suggestions or comments as to how to fix it would be appreciated. I'm getting sick of having to remove and refit the carb every time I want to cut the grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have you pulled the carb apart and checked that there is no debris in the carb galleries?
    I would do this, and also order a new carb gasket kit and fit it.
    Also remove the fuel tank and rinse it out with clean petrol, the carb is part of the tank and can pick up crap out of the tank.
    Start with a clean tank and carb and if it is still doing it then maybe fit a part from a scrapped mower, plenty around.
    I could get an old one if you needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cheers. Maybe I'll start with a new gasket kit.

Any ideas where I'd get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would say nearly any shop that services Lawnmowers. B+S 3.5HP is a Very common engine.
    Maybe €10 for the kit? I am not sure but it shouldnt be much.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

Lidl had a hand mower for sale last week.

Did anyone buy one and if so, is it any good?

They also sold a power mower for €100. Same question as above...

Thanks. btw, I have a small lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I have a Toro mower - 5 years old. Never gave any trouble - until now. The canvas bag is torn - the plastic base has split in several places. Phoned the dealer I bought it from and asked for a new bag - just the bag itself - not the steel frame. He checked out the price and called me back - the distributors wanted €106 for it.

To be fair to the dealer, he was appalled at the price as well. Has anyone any ideas as to where I might buy a bag online?

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have a Toro mower - 5 years old. Never gave any trouble - until now. The canvas bag is torn - the plastic base has split in several places. Phoned the dealer I bought it from and asked for a new bag - just the bag itself - not the steel frame. He checked out the price and called me back - the distributors wanted €106 for it.

To be fair to the dealer, he was appalled at the price as well. Has anyone any ideas as to where I might buy a bag online?

Well, bar forking out the €106, have you considered getting one made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lionbok2009

Hi Guys,

Could someone tell me how to repair small electric flymo mower? the thing is the mower only works when i tug the wire above my head. i checked the wires inside and they are all properly connected, any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Folks,

I have salvaged a petrol flymo (circa 1985) that my mother was about to dump in the skip, it runs but needs a good overhaul. I always though they were a nice handy yoke for doing certain parts of the garden and would like to get this one fixed.

Any suggestions of where I can source parts and/or get it repaired by someone who knows what they are doing ?

Dublin / North East / North West would all be suitable for me if you are suggesting anyone.

Thanks a million.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Poulgorm wrote: »

There are often Toro parts on ebay. Use ebay.co.uk . So many items are not listed on the irish site. The postage won't be much on a bag so see what the UK Toro dealers will charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Discodog wrote: »
    There are often Toro parts on ebay. Use ebay.co.uk . So many items are not listed on the irish site. The postage won't be much on a bag so see what the UK Toro dealers will charge.

Thank you for that, Discodog: I will give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭newbuild06

Morning all
    Just a quick query, we have a fairly big site but i want to get a self propelled lawn mower to cut it, should keep me fit.
    I want to get one that both cuts and mulches, not too bothered if it is new or second hand as long as it is reliable.
    I have about €350 to spend would anyone know of a good mower that i could get ?

thanks
    NB06

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Hi folks I have a ride on lawnmower and rather than disconnecting the battery over the winter I said I'd start it every week to keep the battery charged. Needless to say I left it a few weeks over the cold weather and now it's dead. All I'm getting is a clicking sound which I presume means the battery is dead. What is the best option from here? Can they be jumped?
    Cheers

Yes they can but it would be better to give it a long trickle charge.

Discodog wrote: »
    Yes they can but it would be better to give it a long trickle charge.

Cheers what's a long trickle charge exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

I know with my Castlegarden ride on , I got a plug in battery charger with the mower. Thankfully haven't had to use it yet, I have also been running it for 10 mins each week over the winter.

Secman

TheBazman wrote: »
    Cheers what's a long trickle charge exactly?

Use a car battery charger that has a trickle charge setting & is self regulating. Most battery chargers will do this. Then leave it on charge for a couple of days.

You can jump it & rely on mowing the lawn to charge the battery but it may not do the battery a lot of good.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks

Advertisement