Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does yours look like it was opened by someone else and returned?

Some folk on the other thread seem to have had that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

NIMAN wrote: »
    Does yours look like it was opened by someone else and returned?

Some folk on the other thread seem to have had that experience.

Other thread? I'll have a look in.

It wasn't opened previously anyway. Just missing the screws for connecting the grass collecting box.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hi folks. I'm looking for a bit of help. I'm having trouble with a lawnmower. It revs up fully for about 5 seconds then goes to tickover for a few seconds over and over. It's using a lot more petrol and stinks of petrol when running. I took the carb apart and found no dirt. It had been idle for three years before I bought it. It's a Briggs and Stratton 35 classic.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

sligojoek wrote: »
    Hi folks. I'm looking for a bit of help. I'm having trouble with a lawnmower. It revs up fully for about 5 seconds then goes to tickover for a few seconds over and over. It's using a lot more petrol and stinks of petrol when running. I took the carb apart and found no dirt. It had been idle for three years before I bought it. It's a Briggs and Stratton 35 classic.

Thanks in advance.
    It might have an automatic choke which is sticking shut, or the air filter us completely blocked with dust and gunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I just got it sorted. I had a look through YouTube and it became apparent it was the diaphragm. I got a new one for 7 quid and fitted it in half an hour.
    Running like a clock now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

sligojoek wrote: »
    I just got it sorted. I had a look through YouTube and it became apparent it was the diaphragm. I got a new one for 7 quid and fitted it in half an hour.
    Running like a clock now.

Yeah, seems a common problem on those Classic 35 engines. I replaced one the other day, as it was hunting when warmed up. It's an easy fix, some great youtube channels on fixing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Fatmag

i bought a pro lawn lawn mower from woodies but stupidly broke a part. Its the rotary protector. A plastic thing just above the rotor. I've asked woodies if they could get me the part but they are fobbing me off. Anyone any ideas where else I could look for the part?

Thanks in advance.

Fatmag wrote: »
    i bought a pro lawn lawn mower from woodies but stupidly broke a part. Its the rotary protector. A plastic thing just above the rotor. I've asked woodies if they could get me the part but they are fobbing me off. Anyone any ideas where else I could look for the part?

Thanks in advance.

Thats the problem with buying a store branded generic. It will take a good bit of detective work to determine the original manufacturer, most likely made in China using pattern parts. Some of the main repair/parts centres might recognise the part or have the original sussed. Woodies are probably contracted to an agent to send all repairs to him. No names or part sales allowed.
    Ring JohnMcKenna spares in Glasnevin.01 830 9379 , they might have an idea, and would certainly recognise a pattern part.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Fatmag

Thanks man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Need some good buying advice as I'm not familar with ride-on mowers.

Have a .75 acre site with a good bit of it lawn. Looking to get a ride-on as it is too time consuming with an ordinary mower. Max budget would be about €3k and would like to be able to mulch or fit a mulching kit to it as well as collect.

Reading on the net that people aren't so keen on the latest Husqvarna and Castelgarden models as they give a lot of trouble. Is that correct?

Any opinions welcome! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

My garden is similar in size. I bought a used Castlegarden 42” twin-cut 22hp ride on and I have to say it’s excellent

Have a .75 acre site with a good bit of it lawn. Looking to get a ride-on as it is too time consuming with an ordinary mower. Max budget would be about €3k and would like to be able to mulch or fit a mulching kit to it as well as collect.

Reading on the net that people aren't so keen on the latest Husqvarna and Castelgarden models as they give a lot of trouble. Is that correct?

Have you time to cut it once a week/10 days.

I spend 2 hours (Including strimming) at a property 2700 - 3000 sqm with a honda push mower. always mulch. €1100 - €1300. You could buy two with that budget and get someone to give you a hand. Great excercise.

I can't say I've seen the specific criticism you mention, Huskys are well regarded and are priced as such, Castelgarden and it's derivitaves have moved up the ladder a lot in recent years, the company acquired Stiga some time ago and the newer machines are are solid as any once they're maintained and not abused. They'll all give " trouble" when worked hard over the years, it's normal wear and tear.
    As your mowing area is small, you dont need a huge mower. This mulching/ bagging13hp 32" stiga plenty big. https://dermotcasey.com/product/stiga-estate-3084-hydrostatic-tractor-mower/
    Well under your budget for €2476. For another €673 you can get the 36" 16.5 hp version, just over 3 grand. If you can't consider these because of Castelgarden cross breeding, you could consider Viking or Honda, but you'll need €3.5k to get on the ladder. Avoid retail park hardware store generics.
    If you're willing to buy online from abroad you'll get more bang for you buck for these and other models from Agrieuro.co.uk
    Alternatively buy a large walk behind mower, such as the Toro Timemaster. Huge 30" cut and a bit of exercise, but only 60% of the cutting time of a 16" mower. http://www.jdslawnmowers.ie/toro-timemaster

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KK4life

I have a lawn of a little over 0.5 acres and is on a steady incline.

I am looking into getting a ride on mower and am looking for advice. Push mower not suitable due to back issues and time.

Do those in the know feel there is better value in the new or second hand market currently? I had intended buying second hand, possibly blinded by a great mower my brother in law got at a savage price a few years back. But now I'm not so sure. I saw a huqvarna yesterday with rusty deck and in need of good bit of repair for €1,200. To be fair, it is with a dealer so will be in full running order at €1,200 but he said it's about 12 years old. I had a max figure of €1,200 in my head for a very good second hand but I am wondering now should I just double the budget and buy new.

Any help would be great.

KK4life wrote: »

I am looking into getting a ride on mower and am looking for advice. Push mower not suitable due to back issues and time.

Do those in the know feel there is better value in the new or second hand market currently? I had intended buying second hand, possibly blinded by a great mower my brother in law got at a savage price a few years back. But now I'm not so sure. I saw a huqvarna yesterday with rusty deck and in need of good bit of repair for €1,200. To be fair, it is with a dealer so will be in full running order at €1,200 but he said it's about 12 years old. I had a max figure of €1,200 in my head for a very good second hand but I am wondering now should I just double the budget and buy new.

Any help would be great.
    Limited choice of quality brands available second-hand. €1200 woukd be a fair price for a smaller cut quality brand of 3- 5 years old depending on condition. Check out this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/2013-snapper-ride-on-lawnmower/19057749
    Or this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/husqvarna-ct151-ride-on/19056810

50% off new price after 3 years is fair depreciation, mowers that young tend to end up in dealers as trade ins and would have a premium because of warranty. If you see one well priced for private sale it's usually because the owner got an insulting trade in offer. (or else ita a stolen one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Any help would be great.

These always get a good review, I’m pretty certain you can collect with them as well.

https://www.gardenmachinery.ie/lawn-tractors/rear-engine-ride-on.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

monkeynuz wrote: »
    These always get a good review, I’m pretty certain you can collect with them as well.

https://www.gardenmachinery.ie/lawn-tractors/rear-engine-ride-on.html

Someone with a bad back would have a problem emptying the grass box, don't think they do a tipping one just a big bag that has to be lifted off. I prefer that system but the bag can be very heavy.

https://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/ride-on-accessories/lawn-tractor-attachments/showitem-F1-7063317.aspx .

my3cents wrote: »
    Someone with a bad back would have a problem emptying the grass box, don't think they do a tipping one just a big bag that has to be lifted off. I prefer that system but the bag can be very heavy.

https://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/ride-on-accessories/lawn-tractor-attachments/showitem-F1-7063317.aspx .

They used to offer the choice of a clamshell or multi bag collector, not sure if they still do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

They used to offer the choice of a clamshell or multi bag collector, not sure if they still do.

Nah on the riders I've only ever seen the single bag (used to be std fitting) the double bag and the famous bag an wagon which is class clam shell trailer but you do need some room to back it up to empty and room to drive it around.

I used an older Snapper hi vac 33 inch lawn rider for years excellent machines and the bag an wagon is really brilliant. The Thatcherizer add on is also very good and about the best I have come across on a domestic mower.

Nah,

You can get single bag and twin bag still.

If you look at the rer100 at abbey garden sales you’ll see the clamshell collector as an option.

It’s always been an option.

As for the bag’n’wagon it was only available for a short period I believe.

• Advertisement

Nah,

If you look at the rer100 at abbey garden sales you’ll see the clamshell collector as an option.

Nah,

Abbey do also have the bag’n’wagon as an option but I’m not sure if they still do actually make that.

deezell wrote: »
    Limited choice of quality brands available second-hand. €1200 woukd be a fair price for a smaller cut quality brand of 3- 5 years old depending on condition. Check out this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/2013-snapper-ride-on-lawnmower/19057749
    Or this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/husqvarna-ct151-ride-on/19056810

50% off new price after 3 years is fair depreciation, mowers that young tend to end up in dealers as trade ins and would have a premium because of warranty. If you see one well priced for private sale it's usually because the owner got an insulting trade in offer. (or else ita a stolen one!)

Like I can stretch a bit further but I just had that figure in my head. I have no experience of ride ones so may have been naive. If going above 1500 would you be as well off go all out & buy new.

My lawn isn't overly big so I don't know if can justify spending €2500 -€3000 on one.

The 2 links you sent look good but I'm from Kilkenny & if travelling those distances I would want be sure it is worth buying.

Just came across this
    www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/castle-garden-ride-on-mower-very-clean/19066725

Like I can stretch a bit further but I just had that figure in my head. I have no experience of ride ones .....

Just came across this
    www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/castle-garden-ride-on-mower-very-clean/19066725
    Looks like 102cm cut, hard to tell, but the engine hp would be good for that cut. It's very clean. Find out age, cut width, model number. 350 hours is quite a bit. You'd mow a huge garden in an hour with this, 350 hours represents nearly 12 years of weekly mowing with a 7 month season. It doesn't look to be that old so it might have mowed a larger garden in less years. Owner says nearest offer, with the hours on it it's probaly a 7+ year old machine. It's equivalent new price in the region of 3-3.5 grand plus, so if my age guess is correct you'd expect to pay between 25 - 33% of new price entirely depending on the condition it's in. You'll have to see it and check out wear and tear on the deck, play in the steering linkage and front axle, etc. If you get it for the 1100 to 1200 mark and it checks out well and feels solid, it would be a decent buy. As you've only a small bit to cut this machine would probaly last you forever. Go see and haggle.

Looks like 102cm cut, hard to tell, but the engine hp would be good for that cut. It's very clean. Find out age, cut width, model number. 350 hours is quite a bit. You'd mow a huge garden in an hour with this, 350 hours represents nearly 12 years of weekly mowing with a 7 month season. It doesn't look to be that old so it might have mowed a larger garden in less years. Owner says nearest offer, with the hours on it it's probaly a 7+ year old machine. It's equivalent new price in the region of 3-3.5 grand plus, so if my age guess is correct you'd expect to pay between 25 - 33% of new price entirely depending on the condition it's in. You'll have to see it and check out wear and tear on the deck, play in the steering linkage and front axle, etc. If you get it for the 1100 to 1200 mark and it checks out well and feels solid, it would be a decent buy. As you've only a small bit to cut this machine would probaly last you forever. Go see and haggle.

Great help thanks. It looks good but I suppose could be cleaned up for a photo. Worth a look anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I had a Husqvarna tc142t. Major problems with the bagger in that it would constantly open in the middle of cutting . I eventually had to get rid of it . Got an a Oleo Mac and delighted with it

Ok moved a bit slow over weekend on 1. Has anybody got any experience of rally ride ones regarding reliability etc?
    Thanks in advance

Ok moved a bit slow over weekend on 1. Has anybody got any experience of rally ride ones regarding reliability etc?
    Thanks in advance

Rally were made by Murray mowers, and also by an outfit called American Yard. Murray are long gone. Parts for Rally still available on d'internet. Murray were a cheapey mower usually sold in big stores like Woodies. Murray was my first self propelled walk behind in 1981. Cheap and cheerful till I hit a stone one day and the engine mounts snapped off on the deck. I'd honestly want to buy it for near nothing if I was to take the risk of a breakdown with no parts available.

Btw, the bag opening problem mentioned for Husqvarna is not common, No reference to it in any searches. The latch mechanism is both adjustable and repairable, once you figure how it works. Don't be put off. I've had a similar problem briefly on a Viking. Tap of a hammer and a lick if grease solved it.

• Advertisement

Rally were made by Murray mowers, and also by an outfit called American Yard. Murray are long gone. Parts for Rally still available on d'internet. Murray were a cheapey mower usually sold in big stores like Woodies. Murray was my first self propelled walk behind in 1981. Cheap and cheerful till I hit a stone one day and the engine mounts snapped off on the deck. I'd honestly want to buy it for near nothing if I was to take the risk of a breakdown with no parts available.

Thanks. Not worth the risk. It might appear good value but could be throwing away good money. Will keep searching

Advertisement