Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

KK4life wrote: »
    Thanks. Not worth the risk. It might appear good value but could be throwing away good money. Will keep searching

Auction in Naas.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/2012-snapper-ride-on-mower-for-auction-23rd-june/18785891

2 in Wexford, looks like a brand new deck on first
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/36-quot-stiga-ride-on-lawnmower/18802897
    https://www.donedeal.ie/othermotor-for-sale/viking-ride-on-lawnmower/19006020

Another decent Viking
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/ride-on/18998531

Couple of CastelGardens. The second is oldish, though small hours and new deck. Engine a bit underpowered, not really worth 900, maybe 600-750.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/lawnmower/18939661
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/immaculate-castlegarden-ride-on/19007600

This Guy in New Ross has a selection, the Stiga looks v clean
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/ride-on-mowers/18442397

Happy Hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KK4life

deezell wrote: »

Thanks for all that. Sure if you just want to go buy one for me & drop it to me sometime, I wont stop ya ;-)

I'd be interested in seeing the one at auction alright. I have a wedding on Saturday but will be passing Naas this evening so might see if can go in for a look at it and maybe leave proxy bid. Any rough guide on what to bid provided all is in order would be greatly appreciated.

The other ones might be a little short on HP. there is a decent pull uphill in my garden so don't want to risk not having enough HP.

Thanks

KK4life wrote: »
    Thanks for all that. Sure if you just want to go buy one for me & drop it to me sometime, I wont stop ya ;-)

I'd be interested in seeing the one at auction alright. I have a wedding on Saturday but will be passing Naas this evening so might see if can go in for a look at it and maybe leave proxy bid. Any rough guide on what to bid provided all is in order would be greatly appreciated.

The other ones might be a little short on HP. there is a decent pull uphill in my garden so don't want to risk not having enough HP.

Thanks

Current 96cm snapper about €3500 new. That one has had an engine change, originally came with a 500cc twin cylinder. There's an ex Husvarna badged engine in it, which is possibly a Briggs and Stratton. Leave a max proxy bid if you like the look of it, get then go start it etc. €1000? You'll get it for less if no one bids to that. Auctioneer shoukd point out at sale that engine is not the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KK4life

Current 96cm snapper about €3500 new. That one has had an engine change, originally came with a 500cc twin cylinder. There's an ex Husvarna badged engine in it, which is possibly a Briggs and Stratton. Leave a max proxy bid if you like the look of it, get then go start it etc. €1000? You'll get it for less if no one bids to that. Auctioneer shoukd point out at sale that engine is not the original.

You're a gentleman, thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Anyone else not using their lawnmower anywhere near as much as last year?

Between the 6 winter months of continuous rain, 6-foot high snow drifts in Feb/March, and now current drought conditions, my grass has taken some beating.

Last year I was cutting twice a week. This year it's once every 3 or 4 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I've a 2002 Efco 42", engine is burning oil but running ok. The deck is giving up the ghost so dilemma is replace the deck ~€600 or trade in/sell and buy new.
    Any recommendations?

I've a 2002 Efco 42", engine is burning oil but running ok. The deck is giving up the ghost so dilemma is replace the deck ~€600 or trade in/sell and buy new.
    Any recommendations?
    Not worth putting €600, especially with worn engine. Worth very little to sell or trade, but you might get €200. Efco are for sale new in the UK at modest prices, not a brand I've seen here other than hand tools. Read back over the last posts here for posters opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stcosmin

Hi lawn mower experts
    I have a small back garden and I want to know if Stiga Collector 43 (~190 Euro) is a good machine for the job.
    Collector 43 push lawn mower

Steel lawn mower.
    Cutting width: 41 cm
    Fitted with a Stiga RS 100 OHV four-stroke engine.

Centralised cutting height adjustment. 5 height options from 27 mm to 80 mm.

60 L grass catcher
    The 180-180 mm wheels are mounted on ball bearings and they are perfect for uneven surfaces.

Mowing options:

Grass collection
    Rear discharge
    This lawn mower can cover sites up to 1000 m².

FREE ITEMS: two bottles of oil for 4-stroke engines.
    I can spend 200Euro for a lawnmower but I don't know much about this subject.
    Can you recommend something else if this one is not good?
    Thank you

stcosmin wrote: »
    Hi lawn mower experts
    I have a small back garden and I want to know if Stiga Collector 43 (~190 Euro) is a good machine for the job.
    Collector 43 push lawn mower

Steel lawn mower.
    Cutting width: 41 cm
    Fitted with a Stiga RS 100 OHV four-stroke engine.

Centralised cutting height adjustment. 5 height options from 27 mm to 80 mm.

60 L grass catcher
    The 180-180 mm wheels are mounted on ball bearings and they are perfect for uneven surfaces.

Mowing options:

Grass collection
    Rear discharge
    This lawn mower can cover sites up to 1000 m².

FREE ITEMS: two bottles of oil for 4-stroke engines.
    I can spend 200Euro for a lawnmower but I don't know much about this subject.
    Can you recommend something else if this one is not good?
    Thank you

You can't go wrong at that price for a brand name mower. Engine is probably asian/ Chinese origin, still should last a long time if you've only a little bit to cut. You'll pay a bit more for a mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine as the minimum. If you want to spend even less for a similar spec with a known name pop into your nearest Chadwicks and have a look at this summer special. 40cm, 99cc, Hyundai engine, rust free poly deck.€159. They seem well made when I was in there last looking at the bigger models. Can't be too bad Hyundai put their name to them.

454408.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone able to identify what this part of a ride-on mower is called?

https://flic.kr/p/LvyEBh

Mine is leaking very slightly, and it seems to be petrol that's coming out of it.

I take it with its location just below the engine that's it's used to supply a small amount of fuel to start it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone able to identify what this part of a ride-on mower is called?

https://flic.kr/p/LvyEBh

Mine is leaking very slightly, and it seems to be petrol that's coming out of it.

I take it with its location just below the engine that's it's used to supply a small amount of fuel to start it?

It's the carburettor bowl and fuel shutdown solenoid.

That's great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

That's great thanks.

Is it leaking from the bottom where bowl is connected to solenoid ?

Much quicker than mowing in this weather.
    https://youtu.be/6xbDmFKtgPI

Needles73 wrote: »
    Is it leaking from the bottom where bowl is connected to solenoid ?

Yeah that's where it appears to be coming from, the little wire.

But as with all leaks, it's hard to tell.

Yeah that's where it appears to be coming from, the little wire.

But as with all leaks, it's hard to tell.

The nut in the bottom of that bowl usually has a rubber seal like a washer to stop a leak. That can perish and will need replacing.

The nut in the bottom of that bowl usually has a rubber seal like a washer to stop a leak. That can perish and will need replacing.

Its just come back from the garden centre after being checked out for the summer.

It wasn't leaking at the end of last season, so shouldn't be leaking now imho, so they will have to take it back and fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

In my experience its often the needle valve that gets stuck open that causes a leak from the carburetor bowl. Often happens over winter or during storage when the fuel left in the bowl dries out and leaves a slightly gummy deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

My house is on 1 acre, so the lawn is about 3/4 acre. I had a 21" push mower for the first couple of years from the previous house and it used to take about 3 hours to do the lot.

Thought about a ride-on but went with the self propelled Toro Timemaster which gives a 30" wide cut. Absolutely love it. Even though I've only 50% more cutting width, it has more than halved my time. Get the whole thing done now in about 1hr 20mins. My brother in law has one with 2-3 years, I got mine this Spring

I chose the Toro over a ride-on for a few reasons:
    I actually enjoy cutting the grass and it's a bit of much needed exercise every week.
    It cost just under €1,200 vs 3k or 4k for a ride-on
    It will cost a lot less to run and service.
    If it gets robbed it's less of a dent to replace.
    A small ride-on will give a 36" cut, this thing gives a 30". I could probably shave another 30mins off the job with a bigger ride-on but as I've said, I quite enjoy cutting the grass and 1hr 20 a week is acceptable to me.

davidmarsh wrote: »
    My house is on 1 acre, so the lawn is about 3/4 acre. I had a 21" push mower for the first couple of years from the previous house and it used to take about 3 hours to do the lot.

Thought about a ride-on but went with the self propelled Toro Timemaster which gives a 30" wide cut. Absolutely love it. Even though I've only 50% more cutting width, it has more than halved my time. Get the whole thing done now in about 1hr 20mins. My brother in law has one with 2-3 years, I got mine this Spring

I chose the Toro over a ride-on for a few reasons:
    I actually enjoy cutting the grass and it's a bit of much needed exercise every week.
    It cost just under €1,200 vs 3k or 4k for a ride-on
    It will cost a lot less to run and service.
    If it gets robbed it's less of a dent to replace.
    A small ride-on will give a 36" cut, this thing gives a 30". I could probably shave another 30mins off the job with a bigger ride-on but as I've said, I quite enjoy cutting the grass and 1hr 20 a week is acceptable to me.

I'm giving serious consideration to trading in my Husq ride-on for a quality self-drive push mower.

I have a 1/2 acre site and although the ride-on is handy, its getting old now and can be costly when anything goes wrong with them.

Was yours the TimeMaster yoke, like this one
    https://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/shop/garden-machinery/lawnmowers/petrol-lawnmowers/toro-20976-timemaster-30-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIopyB9ar72wIVFYbVCh3KeAEfEAQYAiABEgKJG_D_BwE

They look a great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

I'm giving serious consideration to trading in my Husq ride-on for a quality self-drive push mower.

I have a 1/2 acre site and although the ride-on is handy, its getting old now and can be costly when anything goes wrong with them.

Well I'm delighted with my thing anyway and my brother in law is equally happy and he's into his 3rd or 4th season with it.
    Briggs and Stratton engine too.

That's it above, yea.

Its looks strange on YouTube videos, I supposed we are used to seeing such wide push mowers over this part of the world.

I would guess its a very heavy beast. Whats it like to manoeuvre?

I was just having a look at some of the mowers available online, and was wondering if some of the experts on here would give their opinion on certain brands, as to whether they should be considered or avoided?

As I say, considering going for a push mower for 1/2 acre lawns, so obviously would need a decent sized one. As of now, not too worried about features such as mulcing etc, more just want to know what brands I should put on my potential list.

I currently own a Husq ride-on, but she's getting old. It has served me well over the years but maybe getting close to time to move her on. I also own a 16" Honda Izy which is going strong. I have used this for the lawns when the Husq has been out of action, but its slow due to its size, but is very dependable.

So, I thinking a bigger, better Honda is likely going to be on my list for sure. I see the HRX getting rave reviews.

As for some of the other brands, maybe they were good once, but are now built cheaply in the Far East? I'm thinking Husq here?

What about all the other brands I see? Likes of Atco, Efco, Weibang, Ariens, Hayter, Einhell, Stiga.

davidmarsh wrote: »

If you are considering a Timemaster, the 20798 model with Electric start and a 223cc engine is well worth the extra £100 on UK sites. The 20976 with 190cc is a bit underpowered for a 30" cut if the going was heavy. Also takes a fair swing to start these engines, the electric start means you can send herself out to do the mowing.
    https://www.lawnmowersdirect.co.uk/product/toro-20978-timemaster-76cm-steel-deck-rotary-lawnmower-copy/

tbh I have been reading a few scary reviews of the Toro's on UK and US websites, some of them are not very encouraging.

I was just having a look at some of the mowers available online, and was wondering if some of the experts on here would give their opinion on certain brands, as to whether they should be considered or avoided?

As I say, considering going for a push mower for 1/2 acre lawns, so obviously would need a decent sized one. As of now, not too worried about features such as mulcing etc, more just want to know what brands I should put on my potential list.

I currently own a Husq ride-on, but she's getting old. It has served me well over the years but maybe getting close to time to move her on. I also own a 16" Honda Izy which is going strong. I have used this for the lawns when the Husq has been out of action, but its slow due to its size, but is very dependable.

So, I thinking a bigger, better Honda is likely going to be on my list for sure. I see the HRX getting rave reviews.

As for some of the other brands, maybe they were good once, but are now built cheaply in the Far East? I'm thinking Husq here?

What about all the other brands I see? Likes of Atco, Efco, Weibang, Ariens, Hayter, Einhell, Stiga.

I have the hrx. It's the best of what I have had for mulching. I've had rover and stiga previously. The grass box gets packed properly because it cuts up the grass really fine. I end up mulching with it most of the time bar really wet weather or customers who specifically ask for grass to be collected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I have the hrx. It's the best of what I have had for mulching. I've had rover and stiga previously. The grass box gets packed properly because it cuts up the grass really fine. I end up mulching with it most of the time bar really wet weather or customers who specifically ask for grass to be collected

Which Honda HRX model are you using.

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Which Honda HRX model are you using.

HRX 537 VYE. I think there is a hye as well but they are the exact same machine just different controls. On mine you pull a thing back towards the handle to engage blades and push a lever forward to go with your thumbs. A knob to twist to adjust speed. All very comfortable. It's €200 cheaper than the one with different controls.

Pull a lever to switch to mulch and you can half mulch half collect

Those Hondas are the high end of the domestic range, at €1200 and €1300 for the The they'd want to be. Quality is not your issue though, it's going from a ride on to a 21" walk behind mower. You'll spend a lot longer at it regardless of the quality of the Honda, as it's only 21" cut and you can only walk so fast.

• Advertisement

Those Hondas are the high end of the domestic range, at €1200 and €1300 for the The they'd want to be. Quality is not your issue though, it's going from a ride on to a 21" walk behind mower. You'll spend a lot longer at it regardless of the quality of the Honda, as it's only 21" cut and you can only walk so fast.

The only places I can't keep up with the ride on is big flat open gardens. Have a customer with a 1200 sq M flat rectangle. 20mins on a ride on 50 mins with the Honda. But anything with Hills, awkward corners, obstacles etc the Honda begins to catch up.

Another thing is its way better in the wet and you could be waiting a week for a place to dry out to get a ride on it. Your right though I am comparing top end push mower with a bottom end ride on. Trying to turn them around takes ages and there is always a lot more swimming to do afterwards

Advertisement