Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

I got a reply from lawnmowers direct about buying the timemaster. The said it's an extra £ 105 to deliver to Ireland so £1055 delivery which is €1180

As for servicing and warranty they said they put my address details into the toro website which I did to to confirm and the closest place to get a service is in England. So it seems to me the warranty is unavailable here.

https://www.toro.com/en/locator

They got back to me again. They said to get in touch with the dealer in England that the toro website directed me to and they will will tell me what dealer I need to go to here for an annual service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

deezell wrote: »
    As they say, RTFM! Many mowers will cut out if you dismount , even if the blades are disengaged and it's in neutral, unless you put on the parking brake. I suppose it's to stop it rolling away. On some the seat interlock is active only if you are in motion or if the blades are engaged, or if the bag is not fitted. Most won't start unless the handbrake is on anyway.
    The choke may be of the automatic type, or it may be that the cable needs to be reset. Get it started again, if you have to pull the throttle back from Max Hare, (good name for a band) to get it to run normally without choke, then it would seem that that the cable needs to be reclamped, if this is possible, so that max speed is happening at the indent before the last bit of travel to the choke setting. On many engines choke is automatic, so the top speed and choke symbols woukd be together, but if the graphic explicitly shows the choke symbol further on then it would be a manual choke activated in the last bit of the lever travel, and the cable should be installed such that this requires moving past the groove or indent so you are not putting the choke on during normal use.

Thanks for the responses, definitely a case of RTFM alright! :o

I think the penny has dropped for me, the engine on the 5092H, a B&S Intek 4185 AVS has an automatic choke according to this B&S link using their ReadyStart tech - link

Maybe because these bodies can have both these B&S and GGP's own brand engine the dash and throttle is a bit confusing. Maybe the GGP engine does not have an automatic choke and the lever can be pushed fully forward on these?

Might be just a case of putting it into the hare position, start and then reduce the throttle until I'm cutting.

As might be now obvious I have never used a ride-on mower before - much simpler with a pull start mower! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭deezell

I got a reply from lawnmowers direct about buying the timemaster. The said it's an extra £ 105 to deliver to Ireland so £1055 delivery which is €1180

As for servicing and warranty they said they put my address details into the toro website which I did to to confirm and the closest place to get a service is in England. So it seems to me the warranty is unavailable here.

https://www.toro.com/en/locator

These guys are a tad cheaper, at £930
    http://www.agmonline.co.uk
    You have to contact them for delivery quote, and how they would handle service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Just one quick word on the timemaster......I have owned one now for the last two years. I have a medium to large size lawn plus a substantial percolation area to be mown. It's a fine machine, and has saved me a lot of time versus the machine it replaced, a husqvarna regular lawn mower. However if the lawn is even the slightest bit wet/damp, the timemaster begins to struggle. It's also pretty poor on any gradient, which my percolation area has. I'm thinking of moving to a ride on next summer because of this. Having that said, in dry weather it is a great machine. Just my two cents

Just one quick word on the timemaster......I have owned one now for the last two years. I have a medium to large size lawn plus a substantial percolation area to be mown. It's a fine machine, and has saved me a lot of time versus the machine it replaced, a husqvarna regular lawn mower. However if the lawn is even the slightest bit wet/damp, the timemaster begins to struggle. It's also pretty poor on any gradient, which my percolation area has. I'm thinking of moving to a ride on next summer because of this. Having that said, in dry weather it is a great machine. Just my two cents

Thanks for that. Those were the type of reviews that put me off but the engine was changed last year so i might give it ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hi, looking for a cordless mower, preferably battery powered, I have a small garden so nothing too fancy.

Has anyone used the Ryobi ONE+ models, are they any good? I can see they are cheaper in the UK.
    If I get this and the 5.0Ah battery and a charger it should be plenty of power: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/olm1833h-ryobi-one-18v-33cm-lawnmower

Argos have one but not in stock, and none that have a battery and charger included!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Hi, looking for a cordless mower, preferably battery powered, I have a small garden so nothing too fancy.

Has anyone used the Ryobi ONE+ models, are they any good? I can see they are cheaper in the UK.
    If I get this and the 5.0Ah battery and a charger it should be plenty of power: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/olm1833h-ryobi-one-18v-33cm-lawnmower

Argos have one but not in stock, and none that have a battery and charger included!

I got the Aldi Gardenline one for only €130 in their sale. It's a surprisingly good machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Was thinking of investing in a new John Deere x146r. There seems to a few end of season deals around at the moment. Could anyone tell me is John Deere finance available at all stockists, or just a select few like Tennyson's and Seamus Weldon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Meant to get back to you about my new Stiga.

Got it going the following night, seemed it started better by not starting at full throttle. It ran rough for a little while blowing blue smoke. Maybe the bit of oil that was in it on delivery had splashed around. I also noticed I had slightly overfilled the oil when I topped up. Agrieuro had thrown in a few accessories so I syringed out a bit.

That was Wednesday night. Yesterday I gave the lawn a proper cut. After cutting it out twice due to accidently activating safety cut out features I had no hassle at all.

With it being my first time using a ride on, it initially seemed massive but after a few minutes I was surprised at how manoeuvrable and nimble it is, I flew around in comparison to my old push mower.

Thanks to who replied with advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Daz_ wrote: »
    Yeah I’m convinced it’s running slower ! Will check as advised , much appreciated

Deezel thanks for the advice. I tightened up the throttle cable and it definitely improved things. The bolt was quite loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Check if the throttle cable retaining clamp has come loose at the engine end. If the outer cable slips in the clamp you will lose full throttle. Its a new mower so usually small nuts need retightening after a bit of use, just like a brake cable on a new bike.

Deezell this seemed to do the trick, it was quite loose , thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

Thanks for that. Those were the type of reviews that put me off but the engine was changed last year so i might give it ago.

I have a timemaster and have c .75 acre of grass to cut. Love the machine.

Cut the grass regularly and you'll be delighted with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I picked up a 19" castle garden self propelled mower today for 299 in Tralee

It was used once and returned as it didn't suit the owner.

Will do just nicely for me.

How long will it take me to mow 4 acres???:eek:

Just to add.. that's the field, lawn is smaller :)

I picked up a 19" castle garden self propelled mower today for 299 in Tralee

It was used once and returned as it didn't suit the owner.

Will do just nicely for me.

How long will it take me to mow 4 acres???:eek:

Just to add.. that's the field, lawn is smaller :)

Ok, staying with Imperial, a 19" cut will travel forwards about 1.9 yards to cut a square yard. To cut an acre, 4840 sq.yds, you'll walk 9170 yds. Add 20% for overlap, turning and emptying, make it 11000 yds, or 6.25 miles. Walking at three miles an hour, about 2 hours plus per acre. A 19" mower would not be recommended for a mowing area of more than a quarter acre, a typical half acre rural house site with 50% house, sheds, beds and hard landscaping. Life's too short, and running a small engine that many hours continuously will wear the mower and engine out fairly quickly. What happens if the grass is wet or overgrown due to bad weather? You'll be there all day.

Ok, staying with Imperial, a 19" cut will travel forwards about 1.9 yards to cut a square yard. To cut an acre, 4840 sq.yds, you'll walk 9170 yds. Add 20% for overlap, turning and emptying, make it 11000 yds, or 6.25 miles. Walking at three miles an hour, about 2 hours plus per acre. A 19" mower would not be recommended for a mowing area of more than a quarter acre, a typical half acre rural house site with 50% house, sheds, beds and hard landscaping. Life's too short, and running a small engine that many hours continuously will wear the mower and engine out fairly quickly. What happens if the grass is wet or overgrown due to bad weather? You'll be there all day.

I have to say, A ++ for effort. :)
    I will just be cutting the lawns and leaving the other 4 acres to be cut by a farmer if I can find one.

I have to say, A ++ for effort. :)
    I will just be cutting the lawns and leaving the other 4 acres to be cut by a farmer if I can find one.

More sums, pay attention at the back of the class. Hire an agri contractor in late spring or early summer to take a cut and make silage bales, it'll cost you about €100 an acre, and you'll sell the bales for €25 to €30 each, so at 8 to the acre youll cover the cost with change. You might get a second cut. If you're not fertilizing the ground you might get away with one good shave per year. Look up contractors in Farmers Journal maybe, or ask around. On 4 acres I assume you're out in the sticks.

More sums, pay attention at the back of the class. Hire an agri contractor in late spring or early summer to take a cut and make silage bales, it'll cost you about €100 an acre, and you'll sell the bales for €25 to €30 each, so at 8 to the acre youll cover the cost with change. You might get a second cut. If you're not fertilizing the ground you might get away with one good shave per year. Look up contractors in Farmers Journal maybe, or ask around. On 4 acres I assume you're out in the sticks.

Thanks.
    I'm 10 minutes to 2 decent towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Have approx. 4500sqm acres to cut and would like some recommendations. Collecting half and discharging half is taking around 2 hours currently on an old Honda ride on, think it is 10 year old version of current HF 2315 HME so approx. 92cm deck and 13bhp (suspect less now).

Looking to potentially upgrade to something bigger and more powerful and looking for some advice from the experts here.

Would like the following:
    Wider deck, over 1m
    closer to 20bhp I think?
    ability to collect and mulch, ability to switch between both with ease
    comfortable seat with high back support (I'm tall so find my back getting sore on the Honda after couple of hours).

Lot of my reseach and calling around has led me to this:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/gardenequipment-for-sale/husqvarna-tc-142t/15185270
    Husqvarna TC 142T

Price is around 3300 ex VAT iirc.

Found it cheaper here:
    http://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk/ride-on-tractor-mowers/husqvarna-tc-142t-tractor.html

Could anyone tell me if I am on the right lines in terms of spec and machine?

Would they have any better recommendations?

Ideally would like to spend less money and would have no problem buying used.

Thank you very much in advance

ustari wrote: »
    Have approx. 4500sqm acres to cut and would like some recommendations. Collecting half and discharging half is taking around 2 hours currently on an old Honda ride on, think it is 10 year old version of current HF 2315 HME so approx. 92cm deck and 13bhp (suspect less now).

Looking to potentially upgrade to something bigger and more powerful and looking for some advice from the experts here.

Would like the following:
    Wider deck, over 1m
    closer to 20bhp I think?
    ability to collect and mulch, ability to switch between both with ease
    comfortable seat with high back support (I'm tall so find my back getting sore on the Honda after couple of hours).

Lot of my reseach and calling around has led me to this:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/gardenequipment-for-sale/husqvarna-tc-142t/15185270
    Husqvarna TC 142T

Price is around 3300 ex VAT iirc.

Found it cheaper here:
    http://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk/ride-on-tractor-mowers/husqvarna-tc-142t-tractor.html

Could anyone tell me if I am on the right lines in terms of spec and machine?

Would they have any better recommendations?

Ideally would like to spend less money and would have no problem buying used.

Thank you very much in advance

Just to say, you're comparing an Irish seller to a UK seller.
    Price difference is negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Thanks.

I am more interested in advice around the machine itself and what I should be looking at for something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Looking at a new mower currently deciding between a Toro timemaster 30" or a Honda Hrx 537...

Any advice? Would the plastic deck on Honda be a better job than the steel toro?

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Looking at a new mower currently deciding between a Toro timemaster 30" or a Honda Hrx 537...

Any advice? Would the plastic deck on Honda be a better job than the steel toro?

What are you using it for.?

I have the 537. The plastic deck is great. Strong and easy to clean. However you will still have to clean it regularly.

Grass gets lodged around the area where the belt is connected to the shaft that the blades are connected to and also around the back axle and transmission. An air compressor is handy for cleaning.

Excellent at mulching and collecting damp grass. I would chose it over the toro unless you have a large area.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I have the 537. The plastic deck is great. Strong and easy to clean. However you will still have to clean it regularly.

Grass gets lodged around the area where the belt is connected to the shaft that the blades are connected to and also around the back axle and transmission. An air compressor is handy for cleaning.

Excellent at mulching and collecting damp grass. I would chose it over the toro unless you have a large area.

I have a fairly large garden to mow, can take 2 hours or more to mow...suppose just thinking the extra width on the toro might quicken it up...

I have a fairly large garden to mow, can take 2 hours or more to mow...suppose just thinking the extra width on the toro might quicken it up...

Do you collect or mulch? The Honda is fast compared to other models. If you cut once a week in the summer then the toro will be quicker. I got to use one recently for a week. Most of the places I used would have 7 to nine days growth. Not great in the wet though. Or if it's been two weeks since the last cut.

What were you using before. Can you roughly measure the garden? You would mulch 2000 sqm in an hour with the honda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

+1 on the Honda, I’ve never used the plastic body ones (I have the pro models) but Honda are great mowers you have not be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought a new mower a few months back, and this was my shortlist.

I went with the Honda in the end.

Great machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I have been offered a Partner P155107HRB (http://www.irishgrassmachinery.ie/partner-p155107hrb-petrol-mower/) ride on mower which is apparently approx 18 months old, I have not gone to see it yet but have been assured it is in good condition.

I am just wondering if anyone here has any experiences with or feedback on partner ride on mowers and if I should maybe be holding out for early next year to get something?

I have approx a third of an acre which is taking me 90 mins or so to cut with a self propelled husqvarna mower at the moment and want to reduce that time I had considered robot mowers but they seem to be well outside my budget of €1,000 - €1,500..

tommycahir wrote: »
    I have been offered a Partner P155107HRB (http://www.irishgrassmachinery.ie/partner-p155107hrb-petrol-mower/) ride on mower which is apparently approx 18 months old, I have not gone to see it yet but have been assured it is in good condition.

I am just wondering if anyone here has any experiences with or feedback on partner ride on mowers and if I should maybe be holding out for early next year to get something?

I have approx a third of an acre which is taking me 90 mins or so to cut with a self propelled husqvarna mower at the moment and want to reduce that time I had considered robot mowers but they seem to be well outside my budget of €1,000 - €1,500..

Is this a shop demo model? No indication on the website that its a used machine, it's not in their second hand list. If its old unsold but unused stock, it's a good price for that cut width, engine and hydro drive. Nearest rival new is this
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/castelgarden-ptx-170-hd-ride-on-mower-with-hydrostatic-gear-shift-grass-collector-p-8495.html
    Partner is an alternative name for McCulloch mowers.

• Advertisement

A question about mulching... surely it just leads to a build up of grass cutting on your lawn.
    Why not collect it and dispose of it ?

Advertisement