Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

I'm hovering between a simplicity 18.5HP dedicated mulcher and a 19HP snapper with mulching kit.

The simplicity is €3150
    The snapper is €3000

Which one should I go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

danyosan wrote: »
    I'm hovering between a simplicity 18.5HP dedicated mulcher and a 19HP snapper with mulching kit.

The simplicity is €3150
    The snapper is €3000

Which one should I go for?

Hi Danny,

I just sent you a private message. I'm in the business and would be happy to do a fellow boards member a good turn. As it happens, I'm both a Snapper and a Simplicity dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

bauderline wrote: »
    Folks,

I have salvaged a petrol flymo (circa 1985) that my mother was about to dump in the skip, it runs but needs a good overhaul. I always though they were a nice handy yoke for doing certain parts of the garden and would like to get this one fixed.

Any suggestions of where I can source parts and/or get it repaired by someone who knows what they are doing ?

Dublin / North East / North West would all be suitable for me if you are suggesting anyone.

Thanks a million.

P.

You're local Husqvarna or Jonsered dealer is also the local Flymo, Partner and McCullough dealer too. They'll get you whatever parts you require. To find you're nearest dealer, check out www.forestandgarden.ie for a full list of nationwide dealers.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

Saw an advert in one of the sunday papers yesterday, think it was Business Post, a special on Husqvarna ride on up to 31st March, region of €1,500. Seems very good value.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

For those of us with small gardens, what are the best mowers? I'm talking about your average 3\4 bedroom house in an estate.

Wheeled or hover?
    Electric or petrol?
    Any particular make?

I've always gone with Flymo hovers but the last time I got a 'compact' version and I don;t think it's very good. Any suggestions? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me pick out a mower. We have about 1/2->3/4 of an acre to mow. So im looking for a powerfull, powered walk-along mower. Currently, the models I have been looking at in my local area are as follows:

"Active" (Im told that they used to be called Harry), Briggs + Stratton 6Hp engine, 21" cut, Alloy deck, €675.

Honda, Honda engine, 6Hp , 21" cut, Steel deck, €670.

Oleo Mac, Briggs and Stratton, 21" cut, 6.75Hp, Alloy deck, €695.

Snapper, Briggs and Stratton, 21" cut, 6Hp, Steel deck, €620.

Snapper, Briggs and Stratton, 22" cut, 7Hp, Alloy deck, €750.

Masport, Briggs and stratton, 20", 6.75Hp, Steel deck, €690

Murray, Briggs and Stratton, 22", 6.75, Steel deck, €550

CastleGarden, Briggs and Stratton, 20", 6.75Hp, Steel Deck, €550

Basically, i just want to find out the most reliable. Im leaning on getting the Active, as it has the Alloy deck and the Honda doesnt, although im not sure about the brand, does anybody know about them?
    Im told that the new Snapper lawn mowers arent half as reliable as the old ones since they started making them in China, is this true?
    Are the Oleo-Mac, Castlegarden walk along mowers, and Masport lawn mowers any good?

And finally, does anybody know of any good website that might be cheaper that delivers to the Rep. of Ireland? Ive had a look at http://www.esaleslocal.com/pedmowers.htm that deliver from the north to the south for 20€ and was wondering if there are any more like it?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi Folks wondered if you advise me on which lawnmower to buy. I have a hovermover and tbh its the biggest pce of crap ever. I have been saying for years I will change it. I believe honestly its not my mower but more my garden so perhaps I am being bad to it.

Anyway I am considering something with 4 wheels and petrol for the power.

My budget is little so was looking at the following..... Feel free to laugh ye pros's

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=7678&loc=P&catid=102.10.1

This one has a plastic deck which while it should not rust I imagine it will be fragile if i stand on it in the shed.... It cost 150 Euro

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7300411/Trail/C$cip=1500029960%3EC$cip=1500030013.htm

I like the fact this is self propelled although no fook all about them after that.

What concerns me about buying any of these is life span in the parts like the blades and availability of blades etc. My instinct says as soon as o get the mower buy a spare blade and coat it in oil to protect it.

Would you go for one of these and if not why not...

Is there a better lawnmower around the same price. For example is the lidl lawmower a better offer... Granted it does not pop up much. I can wait.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7303951/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/2%7Ccat_14418702%7CLawnmowers%7C14418813/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418813%7CPetrol+mowers%7C14418820.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7302859/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/2%7Ccat_14418702%7CLawnmowers%7C14418813/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418813%7CPetrol+mowers%7C14418820.htm

Sorry another 2 I spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

hi
    SchrodingersCat I can recomend Honda lawnmower. we are using 2 hondas lawnmowers ( one 5years old, second 2 years old) in the season 5 days a week, and they are still going well. no problems at all, just need remember about the service, change the oil, clean the air filter. good luck with the choice

Joey the lips You will never get very good petrol lawnmower for less than 200e, but If you dont wont spend more and you have small garden this lawnmower should be good enought for you. she has 1 lever cutting height adjuster what is very comfortable, and is self drive.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7300411/Trail/C$cip=1500029960>C$cip=1500030013.htm

hi
    SchrodingersCat I can recomend Honda lawnmower. we are using 2 hondas lawnmowers ( one 5years old, second 2 years old) in the season 5 days a week, and they are still going well. no problems at all, just need remember about the service, change the oil, clean the air filter. good luck with the choice

Joey the lips You will never get very good petrol lawnmower for less than 200e, but If you dont wont spend more and you have small garden this lawnmower should be good enought for you. she has 1 lever cutting height adjuster what is very comfortable, and is self drive.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7300411/Trail/C$cip=1500029960%3EC$cip=1500030013.htm

Will you repost that link again thanks.

actually forget that... It worked.

What in your opinion is a good cheap lawnmower over the 200 mark.

Hi Joey
    I didnt say that you can get good lawnmower for 200e, good small lawnmower cost about 400e http://http://www.almachinery.ie/sites/productdetails.aspx?p=1049
    but probably you dont need lawnmower like this one above, because you gonna use lawnmower once a week for 15 min or mayby even every second week. I just wonna say that you can go for this lawnmower from argos
    http://http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7300411/Trail/C$cip=1500029960%3EC$cip=1500030013.htm
    and she will work well in your garden and will be much better than electrical one. just remember to check oil before each cutting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

newbuild06 wrote: »
    Morning all
    Just a quick query, we have a fairly big site but i want to get a self propelled lawn mower to cut it, should keep me fit.
    I want to get one that both cuts and mulches, not too bothered if it is new or second hand as long as it is reliable.
    I have about €350 to spend would anyone know of a good mower that i could get ?

thanks
    NB06

You may have missed the boat but Husqvarna agents had a good deal on a self propelled mulcher, for 350 euro, all day saturday. If i were you i'd track down your local agent tomorrow or maybe tuesday morning and insist on getting it for that price. Seems to be a good deal but i may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fungijay

honda, are great mowers, i work in the repair trade and had one in needing a small job and service, year of manufacture was 1986!!!, and the thing was running fine.

they certainly dont come cheap though, some the most expensive of them all.

you really get what you pay for!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Hi all - looking for petrol mower for 50sqm at front and soon-to-be 50sqm lawn at back of house.

Have been recommended this one by a friend who's just bought one, but would appreciate any experienced views, as not many details on woodies' website!

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=8301&loc=P&catid=102.10.1

Also see this combo deal for petrol mower + petrol strimmer at argos... again, any experienced views appreciated...

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7302299/c_1/1|category_root|Garden+and+DIY|14418702/c_2/2|cat_14418813|Petrol+mowers|14418820/Trail/searchtext%3ELAWNMOWER.htm

Thanks!

hi davenewt your garden is quite big, so you should get self propelled lawnmower. this one from woodies is not to bad, but if you wont good lawnmower you have to spend about 400e.

hi davenewt your garden is quite big, so you should get self propelled lawnmower. this one from woodies is not to bad, but if you wont good lawnmower you have to spend about 400e.

Can you provide good links to a few... Thanks.

this one from woodies is not to bad but if you wont good lawnmower you have to spend about 400e.
    Thanks, first off, for not panning the one I was considering :)

Re. your second point - that depends on your definition of 'good' I suppose!

For my needs, I'd have thought that I'd be able to get a 'good' lawnmower within a 200 euro budget! Maybe not an excellent one, but at least a good one!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Hope I'm posting in the right place but anyway,

I have a Briggs and Stratton mower, specs below and pic attached.

The oil is low and I haven't a notion what should go into it. I'm doing the lawn for someone while they are away and I found some 2-stroke oil in the garage. It could be for anything though.
    Engine: B&S Quantum XRM 60
    Power: 4.4 hp / 6.0 hp
    Self Propelled: 3.8 km/h
    Cutting Width: 21" / 53cm

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Hope I'm posting in the right place but anyway,

I have a Briggs and Stratton mower, specs below and pic attached.

The oil is low and I haven't a notion what should go into it. I'm doing the lawn for someone while they are away and I found some 2-stroke oil in the garage. It could be for anything though.

Any help appreciated.

Dont put 2 stroke oil in it anyway. From memory lawnmower oil is 10w 30, which is ordinary engine oil for a petrol car. Not sure what dipstick is in it but you check the oil just by putting the dipstick in the hole and not screwing it in.

davenewt wrote: »
    Thanks, first off, for not panning the one I was considering :)

Re. your second point - that depends on your definition of 'good' I suppose!

For my needs, I'd have thought that I'd be able to get a 'good' lawnmower within a 200 euro budget! Maybe not an excellent one, but at least a good one!

Thanks again.

Dont think youll get a self drive mower for €200. You might get a decent 2nd hand one for that but not new.

Hi all - looking for petrol mower for 50sqm at front and soon-to-be 50sqm lawn at back of house.

Have been recommended this one by a friend who's just bought one, but would appreciate any experienced views, as not many details on woodies' website!

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=8301&loc=P&catid=102.10.1

Also see this combo deal for petrol mower + petrol strimmer at argos... again, any experienced views appreciated...

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7302299/c_1/1|category_root|Garden+and+DIY|14418702/c_2/2|cat_14418813|Petrol+mowers|14418820/Trail/searchtext%3ELAWNMOWER.htm

Thanks!

Bear in mind that if anything happens these mowers from woodies or argos youre on your own. Buy from someone that has a backup service would be my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 HEATZ

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that if anything happens these mowers from woodies or argos youre on your own. Buy from someone that has a backup service would be my advice.

wot hairy said :D

im in "the game" and you can get a CG eu434tr self drive for 210 ish(google it) anything less is a waste of time and money

HEATZ wrote: »
    wot hairy said :D

im in "the game" and you can get a CG eu434tr self drive for 210 ish(google it) anything less is a waste of time and money

I did cannot find it.. Do you have a link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Dont put 2 stroke oil in it anyway. From memory lawnmower oil is 10w 30, which is ordinary engine oil for a petrol car. Not sure what dipstick is in it but you check the oil just by putting the dipstick in the hole and not screwing it in.

This is SOOOOOOOO WRONG! Do not put car engine oil in a 4 stroke air cooled small engine...........................SAE30 oil is the ONLY oil for lawnmowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I managed to get in contact with the guy in the end.

He reckoned it was the 2-stroke, so I put a little of that into it. It ran fine.

If it doesn't start the next time, not my fault. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I managed to get in contact with the guy in the end.

He reckoned it was the 2-stroke, so I put a little of that into it. It ran fine.

If it doesn't start the next time, not my fault. :rolleyes:

if you add 2 stroke oil to the petrol like a strimmers or a chainsaw, its 2 stroke.
    If you don't, its a four stroke and then SAE30 is the only oil to use, otherwise in the longer term you'll damage your engine.

Sounds ideal. Question is, where are these suppliers who sell such mowers for 200 notes and who have a 'backup service' ...and are there any in/around North Dublin?

Sounds ideal. Question is, where are these suppliers who sell such mowers for 200 notes and who have a 'backup service' ...and are there any in/around North Dublin?

cheapest one i have access to is a push mower for 160E and can fully stand behind it just dont expect too much out of it would be grand for a small front lawn but anything bigger and you would be pissin in the wind dont know who the dealers in your area are but anyone that stocks CG stuff will have the same

I did cannot find it.. Do you have a link

strange i found it last time :eek:

not at the shop today ill look it up again next time im there (wedensday)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I have a lawnmower with a B&S Quantum XM 55 engine.

Wasn't starting there, so took the plug out, lots of black gunk, tipped the mower forward and more came out. disconnected the fuel tank, started it without plug and got more of the black stuff out. Cleaned the plug up and put it back in.

It hadn't been idling properly the last time I'd used it so I checked the carb, took it out, drained it, reconnected fuel lines, replaced air filter.

Started straight away and ran for about a minute before cutting out again. tried starting a few times and nothing. drained carb using the bleed screw at the bottom and it started again and ran for a few seconds.

Do I admit defeat and bring it somewhere, or is there something obvious I'm missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Have you checked theres enough engine oil in it?

Advertisement