Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting published by a mag or newspaper?

• 29-07-2009 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone has any advice on getting published? Is it a case of just emailing pictures off the cuff to a pictures editor of a newspaper or magazine or is there more involved? and if a photo does get published is there a set few that gets paid automatically?

thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Target the publication, give them a ring about the event/sport/gig you will be covering and ask them if they are interested in pictures from it, ask what rates are paid and what email address/format/info to send in with them. Check publication and invoice unless they put you on account where you will be paid at the end of the month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Most papers and magazines have a set rate they pay. I would recommend contacting the paper or mag first as some i.e. gazette, expect all pics to be free:eek:. If you intend on doing this regularily contact any papers you think you may submit to, ask for the correct direct picture desk e-mail and then the reg prices and create a spreadsheet so as you wont get confused.

Sometimes you may be approached for pictures and there are also agencies that sell pictures for you, I'm not sure who they are. I have very little interest in papers and mags due to the slow rate of pay and the amount of hassle they can creat, from personal experience but I hear once you are in regularily with a paper they will be more likely to look at your image first. I know one music photog who has gig pics published weekly in numerous papers because he gets in there first and deals professionaly with the papers, for this reason they will look at his pics before anyone elses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I get quite a few publishe din Fingal Independent, maybe 3 or 4 a week. I have never asked for payment just happy that our G.A.A club gets some exposure.

But I was thinking only today how much I save them by sending in photos. I have never even enquired about rates. But I have given them enough now to justify asking for a few bob.

Dont want to do anyone out of their bread and butter but I would like to get some expences and this will help me upgrade my gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

LeoB wrote: »
    But I was thinking only today how much I save them by sending in photos. I have never even enquired about rates. But I have given them enough now to justify asking for a few bob.

I was in similar situation. As soon as rates etc was mentioned however, they stopped looking for pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If you are working then maybe barter for a free ad?

• Advertisement
Advertisement