Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO Bank of Ireland customers re overdrafts

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Up until a couple of weeks ago, i had a €750 o/d facility on my account, which was a lifesaver at times. I went to the bank to get a €2,500 loan to pay off my credit card bill of €1,750 and for the remainder to clear my overdraft. The girl i met at the bank said that they may seek to get rid of my overdraft facility but she would try to get one for €300 set up, which would be grand.

The following week, once the loan had come through, i noticed my o/d facility was totally gone without giving me any notice and there were over the limit fees of a tenner coming out of my account every day until i got paid...i was pretty pissed off with this so applied for an overdraft facility online of €250 and have heard nothing since. They say on the website that i would receive a letter within 5 days telling me if my application was successful but still nothing, and this is about 10 days ago. Its not the first time that i've applied online and heard nothing back. Surely a €250 o/d facility isn't too much to ask!

Anyone else have this problem or something similar? I don't want to have to go to the bank and have to sit down with someone etc, just to put this facility back into my account. Advice is welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Unfortunately I would say that you need to go into a branch, sit a manager down and sort the mess out there and then. They can give you the run-around forever via phone, letter and e-mail.
    Don't leave until you get the fees and the OD facility restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

What are the chances of getting fees restored though? Nearly 50 euro in charges came out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    What are the chances of getting fees restored though? Nearly 50 euro in charges came out!

I had a similar problem last year. I have been a BOI customer for 10+ years. I have never had debt and have a healthy salary. I use a second BOI account as a joint account with partner for some bills. I had got a date wrong last year and I realised the joint account would be 50euro in minus as a large payment was due to be taken in 2 days and it would take up to 3 days to transfer money across from my personal account. I rang BOI and explained. they would not help. They said since the recession ALL overdrafts need to go for special approval (which can take up to 10 days) and none can be granted over the phone etc. not even for 50euro! Even though I consistently put several thousands into this account every month for the past year. What a joke. I got the manager on the phone and told them they would lose my account if they were going to deal with me in this way. They eventually (after 10 mins arguing) agreed to approve the temporary OD immediately.
    I changed banks 10 days later. They were not flexible enough with me given my particular history/circumstances. The funny thing is, the rang up 2 weeks later to find uot why I left and what went wrong. I explained. I also got a cheque in the post 3 weeks after that with a 45euro refund for some interest that was being incorrectly charged to me for the past 3 or 4 years. (I think all closed accounts are sent for a review automatically). anyway, too little too late. If your unhappy with bank treatment you should move. I would have thought you wuold have been given a reply by this stage. Even if it was negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Surely a €250 o/d facility isn't too much to ask!

Anyone else have this problem or something similar? I don't want to have to go to the bank and have to sit down with someone etc, just to put this facility back into my account. Advice is welcome

i applied for a 50 overdraft(to avoid laser charges coming in after i cleaned out my acc) and was turned down. seriously.couldn't fathom it as I work part-time. They refused to give a reason,that was the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Up until a couple of weeks ago, i had a €750 o/d facility on my account, which was a lifesaver at times. I went to the bank to get a €2,500 loan to pay off my credit card bill of €1,750 and for the remainder to clear my overdraft. The girl i met at the bank said that they may seek to get rid of my overdraft facility but she would try to get one for €300 set up, which would be grand.

The following week, once the loan had come through, i noticed my o/d facility was totally gone without giving me any notice and there were over the limit fees of a tenner coming out of my account every day until i got paid...i was pretty pissed off with this so applied for an overdraft facility online of €250 and have heard nothing since. They say on the website that i would receive a letter within 5 days telling me if my application was successful but still nothing, and this is about 10 days ago. Its not the first time that i've applied online and heard nothing back. Surely a €250 o/d facility isn't too much to ask!

I d ont understand why you just didnt ring the girl you were dealing with in the first place instead of applying again online? and ask her 'where's my overdraft gone? i would also definatly request the fee's to be refunded, there is a big diference between 'may remove' your overdraft and then doing it. It would have been in the terms and conditions of your credit aggreement if they were going to remove it tho, but these should have been made clear to you upon drawdown of the loan. If this wasnt so, on the basis of fair play they should refund charges and tell you if your eilable for another overdraft over the phone. My first port of call would be to phone your branch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I think it's very clear that you couldn't manage the overdraft or the credit card debt you had. I don't see how giving it back would solve your problems. You were told that when the loan was being applied for that your overdraft was going to be cancelled and in fact when you signed your offer letter you would have been told as well. You agreed to it by signing the offer letter. TBH you should have said what you wanted from the start. If an overdraft is cancelled, the bank is not going to give it back the next day. You've got to prove yourself by keeping your qaccount in credit and managing your finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

I said i wanted a 250-300 euro overdraft and she said she'd try for me, but never actually informed me it got rejected.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Really this is why it's important to go through your loan agreement with a fine tooth comb before you sign it. This condition would be noted on the covering page of the agreement. Unfortunately the girl who was dealing with you should have known that the likelihood of you being approved for another OD so soon after getting a restructure would be very very slim. Yes, she should have told you that your application for the overdraft had been turned down.

As regards going to the branch and 'demanding to have your overdraft reinstated', the idea is laughable. You'd be wasting your time. The girl who did the loan for you should have perhaps been more clear on the conditions (I would be making sure all my customers know exactly what they are getting), but at the end of the day, all this information was provided to you in writing, so you don't really have a leg to stand on there. If I were you, I'd either call or drop into the branch, ask to speak to the Customer Service Manager and explain what happened and that you are dissappointed in the service you received, as regards the response on the OD application. They might refund a few of the charges as a gesture of goodwill, but it's at the branch's discretion.

To back up what Toots said, if it was me i would have point this out. However I suspect this was done anyhow. The piece about applying for an overdraft should not have been entertained. However, I can understand why she might have tried. She probably was trying to be helpful in some strange way. Trust me, when it came to dealing with unmanagable debt I never bet around the bush. The advisor should have told you exactly what was needed and not allowed you to hang on to some sort of false hope.

I used to do personal lending and have come across this scenario countless times (i.e loan to clear credit card and overdraft). Once you go down the road of looking for a loan to clear off debt, the bank will always insist on either reducing and / or cancelling facilities. Otherwise all you're doing is running the risk of running up the same debt again and having to get another loan at a point in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

this hapens to everyone everyday across the country, and guess what according to the banks we are the ones who have done wrong,

heres a good one for you, business account , with 25k overdraft to pay wages, is cleared every week with frequent large lodgments, but as all business need an overdraft it gets dipped into by the wages day again at the end of the week, to cover wages and probably will be in credit as in cleared by monday again.
    guess what last may the wages bounced, even tough there was 15k in the account and the wages cost 19500.00 oer week, they all bounced, again with boi, and when the director of the company went into the bank to see why ,the bankers (scum ) looked at him as if he had created this whole depression, not even a days notice or a letter, or a call, after 20 odd years they shut the overdraft at the click of a finger, and then ordered him to empty his acounts within 21 days and get 2 fck out of the bank.

and before anyone jumps in to be the bankers hero, this man has no other borrowings bar the over draft which is cleared, and has 8 figure sums on deposit with the same bank which now have to be withdrawn aswell, within 21 days.

and these are the scumbags we have bailed out

• Advertisement

this hapens to everyone everyday across the country, and guess what according to the banks we are the ones who have done wrong,

First, if you go over your overdraft limit it is unauthorised. You are wrong, however it's not such a big issue if your not an ass about it and have good reason for it (and you not excessing because you couldn't be bothered transferring money from another account in credit). If you want to be an ass about it and flippant about the suitation, the bank will reply in kindness. It's not up to the bank to babysit customers. It's up to you to sort out your cash flow.

heres a good one for you, business account , with 25k overdraft to pay wages, is cleared every week with frequent large lodgments, but as all business need an overdraft it gets dipped into by the wages day again at the end of the week, to cover wages and probably will be in credit as in cleared by monday again.
    guess what last may the wages bounced, even tough there was 15k in the account and the wages cost 19500.00 oer week, they all bounced, again with boi, and when the director of the company went into the bank to see why ,the bankers (scum ) looked at him as if he had created this whole depression, not even a days notice or a letter, or a call, after 20 odd years they shut the overdraft at the click of a finger, and then ordered him to empty his acounts within 21 days and get 2 fck out of the bank.

Second, say what you like but I don't believe this to be the truth. A 21 day letter is issued to someone who excesses over and above an authorised overdraft limit. The 21 day letter can state that implied limits are being withdrawn and that the account must operate within the authorised permission. The bank is well entitled to do this.

A 21 day letter can be sent requesting a person / company close their accounts (an entirely different thing altogether) and 100% of the time they are sent with very good reason.

and before anyone jumps in to be the bankers hero, this man has no other borrowings bar the over draft which is cleared, and has 8 figure sums on deposit with the same bank which now have to be withdrawn aswell, within 21days.

Third, lose the attidute

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

and before anyone jumps in to be the bankers hero, this man has no other borrowings bar the over draft which is cleared, and has 8 figure sums on deposit with the same bank which now have to be withdrawn aswell, within 21 days.

leitrim lad, you have been warned before about your conduct on this forum. Comments such as those I have highlighted are not welcome here

also I suspect there is a lot more to that situation than what you have posted.

Advertisement