Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSDST Resources

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Have a few people at work to get through the MDSCT exams 70-271 and 70-272. From reading back over past threads Transcender practice exams seem the best in peoples opinions, but what about books? Going to buy a couple to share between people, any suggestions? I've used Sybex personally in the past but not since Windows 2K exams.

:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭magicwand

Hi pclancy,

Is the MDSCT a useful cert to have? I was thinking about going for it,how long would it typically take? Do employers like this cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Well the reason we're getting it is we've only now finally got rid of Windows 2000/Novell clients and will have an XP only fleet for the next 2 years at least until probably moving to Windows 7 so the boss doesnt want to get the MCITP Vista exams and do the MCDST ones instead.

Looks like the syllabus is pretty easy and will just need a week or two study for most of us. I'm just trying to focus on what books are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Doing the 70-271/2 exams next week, anyone passed them? Feeling pretty confident as its seems handy enough. Havent bought the transcenders stuff just done the Sybex book and Skillport course.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

I got the MCDST in 2007, they are handy enough exams but your average PC enthusiast would probably fail them miserably without going through the books first.

There's a lot more capabilities in XP than are apparent to the average home user. Lots of tricky questions about stuff that is old hat now, like modems and such.

I used the Sybex book for 271, and the MS press book for 272. The MS Press book was the better one for me.

I found 271 easier, because it was more interesting. 272 was quite tedious with all the Outlook Express, Word, Excel stuff, and had to memorise exactly where all the settings were stored in IE6 (Pain in the ass for a Firefox user like me)

I find the CBT nuggets videos quite useful, though I didn't use them for these exams.

Good luck.

Edit: BTW, the MCDST helped me snag my first IT support job. I had been looking for months without a peep, and 3 weeks after passing, had a feew interviewa and an offer. Of course the job market was better then.

Advertisement