Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom/smart telecom, no broadband after 3months. Termination of contracts?

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Heres the situation.

Moved into a house at the start of summer.
    Whoever moved out for me had the broadband and line in his name.
    He cancelled both of them.
    We applied for a new line with eircom, had it set up after 3-4weeks.
    Joined smart telecom once the line was in place to get broadband.
    We are still waiting for broadband 8weeks later.
    Constant calls to smart and eircom (both blaming each other and saying things would be rectified within 7days of each call, which of course still hasn’t happened)

NTL had previously not been available in my area but just this week they have set up a line.

I rang them and they said we could have broadband by Tuesday next week.

Now, we owe a months line rental to eircom (we haven’t used the line yet)
    We are in a year’s contract with them.

Obviously we want to terminate the contract and join a provider who actually knows what they are doing.

I don’t expect to pay either the months line rental or the termination fee. (Due to their incompetence and the fact we haven’t used their line)
    I don’t expect to pay any termination fee with smart (seen as we don’t have broadband.)

Will eircom or smart object? Do I have any rights if they do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

At present you only have a telephone line which doesn't have a contract term so you can cancel that anytime. You'll more than likely have to pay any oustanding line rental though and I don't think Eircom have any termination charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The first thing to do is to establish what exactly Smart is having problems with. Speak to a supervisor if necessary, and ignore anyone who says there as it's a lie. There's always at least one around.

Tell us what the latest info from smart is.

Also, smart have a customer support forum on their website. Check that out, and explain the situation to them.

To answer your question, I believe that you'd have to pay eircom a termination fee as you have a valid, working line supplied to you for more than 7 days or whatever the legal cooling-off period is.

Essentially, it's up to smart to get their ass in gear, and keep pressurising them. Under the LLU/wholesale system, when you place an order with smart on a plain eircom phone line, smart have to arrange the transfer and iron out issues.

Btw, orders have been rejected because of stupid typo mistakes on forms etc. Make sure that your details are right with smart. But the smart telecom forum is the place to check out. There's a link to it at the very top of their homepage.

I stand corrected by Kaisersose, as ever a fountain of information.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The first thing to do is to establish what exactly Smart is having problems with. Speak to a supervisor if necessary, and ignore anyone who says there as it's a lie. There's always at least one around.

Tell us what the latest info from smart is.

Also, smart have a customer support forum on their website. Check that out, and explain the situation to them.

To answer your question, I believe that you'd have to pay eircom a termination fee as you have a valid, working line supplied to you for more than 7 days or whatever the legal cooling-off period is.

Essentially, it's up to smart to get their ass in gear, and keep pressurising them. Under the LLU/wholesale system, when you place an order with smart on a plain eircom phone line, smart have to arrange the transfer and iron out issues.

Btw, orders have been rejected because of stupid typo mistakes on forms etc. Make sure that your details are right with smart. But the smart telecom forum is the place to check out. There's a link to it at the very top of their homepage.

I stand corrected by Kaisersose, as ever a fountain of information.

I dont think they will deal with a specific query like this in the forums - I think you will be referred to customer services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

You should also be aware that Smart have instituted a bandwith cap of 170Gb (158GiB, as in real GiB on your hard disk). Take a look at the thread on their support forum.

Advertisement