Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to ESB Meter Readings

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭

I am currently moving apartment and need to get a meter reading from the ESB box to close off the account.

The meter are houses in a separate building that only the management company have access so I called them and was told that due to some reason that they would not tell me due to "the data protection act" I could not get the reading.

What rights do I have to demand this information since the ESB contact is in my name and my last 6 bill have all been estimates due to them not having access to take readings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Are you renting the apartment? Can you not contact your landlord and get them to get a reading? Did you not get to read the meter when you moved in?

If not, contact ESB and remind them that your last 6 bills have been estimated and ask how often a year they go out and check all meters themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

ESB should have access to the meter box.How the hell can they estimate 6 months of readings.Thats mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Ok to clear some bits up, the ESB meter reading in having problem getting is from my old apartment which the lease is up at the end of the month.
    I need the finish reading to close and transfer it to my new apartment {which I have the reading for}.

The meter are in another building that the ESB do not have keys for and I'm dispute with the landlord {one of the reasons for moving} and he is not answering my calls or emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Get back on to the mgmt company.
    Giving you a meter reading is not in breach of the data protection act. Tell them you can fax them a copy of an ESB bill to prove that you are the account holder if they really want something.

Otherwise ring the ESB and ask their advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I have heard of management companys refusing to deal with tenants, they'll only deal with the owner of the property.

Seems ridiculous that ESB can't get access to their meter, sure you could be lying through your teeth giving them false readings and they can never check it? :confused: I'd get back onto ESB, they seem to be your only option if you're in a dispute with your landlord.

Maybe, do you know anyone else in the building that might have access to the meters? Maybe an owner occupier that would recognise that you've been living there and ask them for access?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Ask the management to do a reading for you perhaps, with a photo of the proof that this is the number of units used? I am hoping that the readings haven't been underestimated in the past :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tell them that the data relates to you, as it is your account. If they do not release the data, you will bring a complaint agaisnt hem to the Data Protection Commissioner - I'm not sure if it will work, but it will make them do something. http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Home/4.htm

Also try to get a human in the ESB to talk to the management agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The management company are definitely to blame here, in order to the build the apartments they would have had give access to the esb to the meters, but they clearly have changed locks, or removed the key from the key safe. Once they do all meters are going to be estimated, esb wont disconnect the supply to threaten them to put it right as it would put people off that that don't deserve to be off. They could disconnect the landlord supply but would probably be a health and safety problem with no lights in the common areas.

Not sure why they gave you a reason about data protection, their isnt anything you can do with the meter readings on their own, the worst would be to submit a false reading for someone but you would need their 9 digit mprn number which isnt marked on the meter. Also you, your landlord, or the management dont own the meter, its esb's property so im not sure what or who they are trying to protect. Are they lazy, dont want the hassle of getting someone to open the door for you? Showing them the bill and your id is proof enough to them its your bill.

Advertisement