Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building, self build, questions

• 29-07-2009 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

I'm thinking of building a house. Was just wondering what are the hidden costs that I would have to pay, like the council fee's etc.

Also with a self build will a bank give me money to furnish it too or just enough to build the house?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Read through some of the stickies, they help me alot out regarding self builds.

As for the bank, as long as the engineer signs off they wont look at what every penny you spend goes on so your furnishings will come out from your morgtage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

One thing to consider when drawing down your mortgage is that if you do decide to get enough money to furnish the house as well then you are basically taking out a 30/35 yr loan on a sofa or table or whatever.....

My opionion would be to save for those items if possible or just purchase what is totally necessary..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Best of luck with your build! Things to consider: 1. 2k for engineer for mortgage stage payment signoffs. 2. 2k for solicitor's fees. 3. 2.5k for Esb connection. 4. Cost of light fittings! 5. 1k for building contract to be drawn up by engineer (i think i'm one of the very few people here to have done that). If you own a site some lenders (through a broker) will lend 80% of the BUILDING COST. Your engineer is fully entitled to sign of on the construction value of the house only. Therefore he may not sign off a stage payment cert for 70k if the value of work done is only 50k. Using mortgage finance to furnish your house is easy but it's financial suicide! That's plasma tv won't be there in 30 years, nor will the reclining sofa.

Advertisement