Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Smoking In Rented House

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I don't see it that way. I'm seeing people pointing out that if someone does choose to smoke in a house, that it does stink up the furniture, stain the walls etc. If a landlord doesn't want to have smelly furniture and a smoke-stained house on their hands, they're entitled to it. I've been in houses that smokers live in and some of them do really do stink to the high heavens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Firetrap wrote: »
    If a landlord doesn't want to have smelly furniture and a smoke-stained house on their hands, they're entitled to it.

Absolutely. And this is the point, this issue is about whether something is in or not in the lease detail. Some people have decided to ignore this and just go on a rant about how smokers stink. As I said earlier, high horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I might be on my high horse, but there's a great view from up here...:p

A lot of newer houses and apartments and older renovated ones have incorporated MHRV systems which re-circulate the air throughout. We are all aware of the health risks associated with smoking, but in these cases the risks rise even higher. I think it will get to a stage where a no smoking clause in a rental contract will be the norm.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Zamboni wrote: »
    this issue is about whether something is in or not in the lease detail. Some people have decided to ignore this and just go on a rant about how smokers stink.

But the issue here is that the landlord does want to include this clause in the new lease and the OP has decided to ignore it as they don't think there is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Zamboni wrote: »
    Absolutely. And this is the point, this issue is about whether something is in or not in the lease detail. Some people have decided to ignore this and just go on a rant about how smokers stink. As I said earlier, high horses.

But smokers DO stink.. are you denying that?

It is a simple undeniable fact.

So we get called "bashers" for stating simple fact?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd have to hold my hands up and admit I hate smoke and the mess it makes. That aside- lets keep this thread on track. The OP's landlord has stipulated a no-smoking policy in his property- is he allowed to- yes, he is, what can the OP do if they are unhappy with this- move. There are thousands of properties out there without such stipulations- instead of declaring they intend to go against their landlord's wishes.

S.

Advertisement