Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locating my family

Options
  • 29-07-2009 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I know this is a long shot, but I dont have a lot of options. My mother died recently here in Australia. Her name was Mary Gallaher and she was born in London in 1937 to a single mother Alice Teresa Gallaher from Knocklong, County Limerick. I suspect Alice was about 20 or so. I know that Alice married a Frank Mills about 1939 and that they had a son Frank also, but they are all dead.

I am trying to locate someone in Ireland who may be related to Alice Gallaher. In some documents she is called Gallagher, but I suspect that Gallaher is correct. I did have some information her family may have come from County Donegal but when I checked that out about 15 years ago apparently it wasnt correct.

I know its not much to go on, but there is a chance that someone who collects family history information might have a clue.

Thanks,

Peter Butterfield (Gallaher)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭trixy

Hi Peter

Gallagher is a very common name in Ireland, the main variation on the spelling has a G
    The name comes from the west of Ireland where there are a lot of Gallaghers maybe if you find a geneology website related to the west of ireland someone may be able to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭martinf

Hi Peter,

Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate of Alice Gallaher - I don't know if UK marriage certs at the tiem showed date of births but you can order them on line. Ancestry.Co.uk gives you a free 14 day trial (you have to cancel within the 14 days or you will get charged) which will give you enough details to order a copy of the cert. If you did get a date of birth from that it might help track down her Irish Record. I have had a quick look for all Gallahers born between 1900 and 1919 whose name began with A or T and i think only two records matched but neither were for an Alice Teresa. This might suggest that the middle g was dropped when she moved to England. The other possible source is the adoption Agency in the UK. They may have details of Alice's date of birth but I don' know if they'd still exist or wouldgive the information out.

If you do have any other details let me know and it might be possible to do a little more digging.

Best wishes

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Put this up in history & heritage - there is a regular poster with an extensive sticky, pinkypink - seems to be an expert on sources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

You could also try
    www.rootschat.com/forum
    Post in all the Counties mentioned Limerick Donegal etc.
    Put all info that you have inc any dates. There are G experts on the site

Advertisement