Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance on a learner permit

• 29-07-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Can anyone clear this up for me?

I've been told by some people that if you drive without a qualified instructor while on a learner permit you're not insured but others have said that that's rubbish. Anyone know for definite what the deal with it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

As far as I know, you're insurer will pay out for any 3rd party damage, but not any damage to your car. I.E If you smash into someone your insurance will pay their damages but not give you a cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It depends on the insurer but they will be within their rights to give you nothing for damage to your own car/you, they will cover the 3rd party costs and will then be able to sue you to recover those costs.

Whether or not they actually do this is up to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Most insurance policies just require you to comply with your learner permit conditions - i.e. you must be accompanied by a person who has held a full licence for at least 2 years. They do not need to be an instructor.

However, there are some Hibernian named driver policies which I've heard are more restrictive. Typically they only cover you while accompanied by your parents (assumption is that it is the parents policy) or a Hibernian driving school instructor. Maybe this is where the info you got is coming from.

Best thing is to read your own insurance policy and see what conditions are on it.

As others have said, if you drive unaccompanied then effectively your insurance is invalid (as you've breached your licence conditions). However, the insurance company is bound by law to pay third party costs regardless - they may pursue you to recover their expenses but that is their choice. It would be highly unlikely that they would honour any comprehensive element of your policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Insurance companies have given policies to Learner Permit holders as THE INSURED, knowing that they will drive on their own, this generally wouldn't be more than 3rd party fire and theft
    DriveSkill wrote: »

However, there are some Hibernian named driver policies which I've heard are more restrictive. Typically they only cover you while accompanied by your parents (assumption is that it is the parents policy) or a Hibernian driving school instructor. Maybe this is where the info you got is coming from.

As others have said, if you drive unaccompanied then effectively your insurance is invalid (as you've breached your licence conditions).

Driving Instructors on AIG insurance supplied by First Ireland have now been covered to Instruct in cars insured by Hibernian.

Driving other than to your licence conditions and being covered by your insurance against claims (explained above) are 2 different things.

Advertisement