Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to give up...

Options
  • 29-07-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Well when you give up your breathing will definitely improve, and quite quickly too. I'm not sure about chest pains, never suffered this myself.

If you are going cold turkey (which is how I finally did it) there are few things that will really help. Try to chhose a time when you won't be under a lot of pressure at work or college or whatever for a few days, bank holiday weekend would be ideal for this. Drink plenty of water and try to snack on healthy foods. Excercise - if you are excersing regularly anyway really push yourself for a few days, if not try some light jogging or swimming or something - this will make you feel better, help clear your lungs, take your mind off the smokes for a while and also tire you out so you will sleep better.

Try to find something you can totally engross yourself in for a few days - I played computer games, but others have suggested things like spring cleaning or DIY. It's so much easier if you are busy (but not stressed) as you won't be constantly be thinking about smoking.

Personnally, I didn't drink for a month and avoided pubs and cafes for about two weeks in order to give myself a proper chance at giving up for good. Others have shown that this isn't necessary, but for me, everytime I tried to give up in the past and went back on them it was alcohol related.

The first three days are tough, no denying it, but it's definitely doable. After that it gets much easier and its just a case of not giving in to the occasional cravings. It's definitely worth the effort! Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Yep, giving up is one of the biggest senses of achievment you'll have and you will feel much better too!

As for cold turkey, I'd suggest that you get yourself some nicotine gum and keep it with you. If cold turkey is kicking your ass and a really bad craving comes along, you can fall back on a gum. Nicorette Freshmint don't taste bad at all, I'm actually chewing one right now!

I fake gave up over a year ago (to keep the GF happy) I actually gave up about 4 months ago. First time a realised that I was feeling good was when I ran for a bus, it used to take an age to stop breathing heavily, now I'm barely out of breath.

Stay away from the pub for a little while!

If you do slip up and have one, don't worry, not the end of the world, don't use it as an excuse to give in.

If you end up going back on the smokes, don't worry about that either, it's taken me 5 or 6 attempts and this time was easy, because at each failed attempt I learned something else about myself and my triggers and what to avoid.

I'm off to the pub tonight, won't fell like a bag of stinking **** in the morning and I'll be buying myself something nice with the €1,000 I've saved so far ( I put €8 a day in a jar).

Good luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Read the Alan carr book. Very good and you can read it over the internet.Thats how i gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

It will be the best decision you EVER made. I'm on my 18th smoke-free day now. All I can say is that the first three days are the worst so prepare yourself. I nearly went up the walls.

TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME.

I wouldn't recommend using ANY form of nicotine replacement therapy - go cold turkey, it's the only way. Yes it is difficult but read this http://www.whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_31_is_cold_turkey_the_only_way.htm

Read Allen Carr's book as it is very good and just keep reading this website www.whyquit.com - I found it (and still still find it) invaluable in reinforcing why I quit in the first place.

This forum is also good, I found the poster named Pal very kind and helpful.

Feel free to PM me anytime you like and just rant if need's be. I live with an ex smoker and found her to be very helpful so tell ex smokers you are quitting and they will really be able to encourage you.

Finally, BELIEVE that you can do it and you will OP.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭worded

Go swimmming, pref in a place with a sauna. That will sweat nicotene out of you very fast. then its man or mouse.

If smoker friends keeping offering you cigs, snap a sig in two in front of them. They will remember then you dont smoke anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

go read Allen Carrs book.

knowledge is key to quitting.

Even if you only learn one thing, I hope it might be that nicotine gum is a very bad idea.

The overwhelming success statistics show that cold turkey is the best way to quit.

(i'm not qualified to give an opinion on Champix but reading these boards suggests it also has merit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Carrs Book and willpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanKnev

Hi! Congrats on deciding to give up smoking. Needless to say its a decision will loads of pros and none of the cons.

I gave up smoking about 6 weeks ago at this stage and can honestly say without bias, that I wouldnt have been able to do it without the nicorette inhaler. In my opinion, its definately one of the best forms of NRT available both OTC and on prescription.

It delivers enough nicotine to stave off the craving and doesnt feel all that different to actual smoking (minus the smoke of course). The effect of the "hand to mouth" action cannot be underestimated either. For example, if you smoke 20 cigarettes a day, thats roughly 200 hand to mouth actions a day ( average of 10 drags of a cigarette). Thats 1,400 a week, nearly 6000 a month, etc. Being physical able to hold your NRT aids the psychological addition one would have from smoking.

Im not trying to sell the inhaler, but in my opinion, its the best aid for smoking cessation out there at the moment.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

you still on the inhaler ?

Pal wrote: »
    you still on the inhaler ?

Still on it, but dont use it as much as I did in the beginning.Some days Id only get through one or two cartridges.Always handy to have when stressed or when out drinking as these are times when Id feel more likely to start smoking again.

Nicotine addiction is the only reason people cannot stop smoking.
    You really would be better off without the inhaler.
    It is just delivering the nicotine that is keeping you hooked.

I recommend you have a read of Allen Carr's book for some refreshing enlightenment about NRT.

Pal wrote: »
    Nicotine addiction is the only reason people cannot stop smoking.
    You really would be better off without the inhaler.
    It is just delivering the nicotine that is keeping you hooked.

I recommend you have a read of Allen Carr's book for some refreshing enlightenment about NRT.

Thanks for the interest and concern.

It seems you have a fairly negative attitude when it comes to NRT. As you already know, nicotine is the active ingredient in cigarettes which lpromotes addiction over time. However, it is the 4,000+ compounds that are present naturally and artificially in tobacco that cause the health effects associated with cigarette smoking.

While nicotine creates the addictive qualities of smoking, its the other carcinogens contained in cigarette smoke that lead to the development of cancers and other ailments. Whilst nicotine does increase heart rate and blood pressure temporarily, minus its additiveness, its is way down the list of compounds contained in tobacco that lead to adverse health effects.

Im an advocate of NRT based on personal experiences and the experiences of a large number of friends and family. As smoking is both physiologically and psychologically addictive, going cold turkey can prove to be hard. NRT does take the "edge" off the cravings and side effects associated with nicotine withdrawal. As I said in an earlier post, I see the inhaler as the best method of NRT as it addresses both the physiological and psychological addiction issues in the first few weeks of smoking cessation.

Studies have shown that discontinuation of nicotine use in a "cold turkey" fashion can lead to adverse side effects. The most prominent of these is weight gain that is resultant from metabolic slow down (nicotine acts as a metabolic stimulant). In cases where people would be mindfull of weight gain, NRT can help people gradually come off nicotine and allow their metabolism to adjust to a normal rate.

Im no means in favour of one method over the next, but I feel that NRT can and does prove usefull to people in their aim to stop smoking permanently. Numerous studies have shown that NRT does work. However,It is important to note that people can get addicted to NRT, but if you follow the program correctly, the chances of this happening are slim.

This may seem as a rant, but its always good to give a balanced view of methods people follow for smoking cessation. I work as a research biochemist aswell so Id like to think I know what Im on about, without coming across as being overly opinionated. :)

As for the Alan Carr book, I will most definately give it a read and let you know what I think about it and his opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

Every one always goes on about allen carrs book i was a smoker for over 22 years and tried to give up more times than i can remember so i picked up the allen carr wonder book and found myself stopping and starting knowing that when i finished it was time to stop.
    Now i was the sort of smoker that as soon as i opened my eyes id light up, i think you know where im going with this, anyway i bought myself a box of nicotinell 24 hour patch 14mg nicotine which is for smokers of less than 20 a day because my theory was one patch to last the day and just the bare nicotine to keep the edge off.
    I used these patches for about 3 days just long enough to help me get over the " i give in" stage but not to long to become dependant on them.
    The only way for sure to give up is YOU have to be ready to do it and the key is willpower.
    Been off cigs for just over a year now best thing i ever done.
    Good luck.

DanKnev wrote: »
    It seems you have a fairly negative attitude when it comes to NRT. !

Yes.
    100% against.

Lets move on.

Advertisement