Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Sony and power city

Options
  • 29-07-2009 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hey , I bought a Sony Laptop from power city at Christmas , It broke a few months ago It was the hard drive (I think) and I went to power city and They re-directed me to Sony (I know they are not allowed to do that) and sony came out and fixed it , Now the same problem has happened again I went to sony they told me that someone would be out to collect it two weeks ago , they never came , I rang on a cupple of different days , each time they said they will be out tomorrow , but no one showed up , so I went to power city and they organised for sony to collect it aswel , but they still never showed up . At first when I had to call sony I was happy with a repair , But then when they never showed up I wanted a replacement and now that power city has done the same , I want a full Refund. I am going back to power city , but can they refuse to give me a refund. As far as I am aware they can offer to fix it but it must be permanent but it wasnt because the same problem happened again. So can I demand a refund

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You can demand what ever you want but Power City don't have to give it to you esp. as you don't know if it is actually the same fault or not (what you experience could be two different faults which shows up one way).

I'd suggest to take your laptop into Power City and say that you want to have the repair report from the previous repair and any uf they want to repair it again from this time as well. Don't bring up that a repair should be permanent part (this is why you're requesting the reports of what the issue was and what was replaced after all). Most likely they will say they replaced lets say HDD last time and now they replaced HDD + motherboard or similar the second time.

Also Power City are more then allowed to redirect you to Sony; how ever you have the right to only deal with Power City if you so wish. Going directly to the manufacturer is usually quicker with the big once (i.e. Microsoft, Apple, Sony etc.) and hence can be beneficial for you to agree as a one off to deal with the manufacturer directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the laptop is not fit for purpose so you are entitled to repair replacement or refund from power city (it has nothing to do with sony). as it has already been repaired you should ask for a new replacement given the age of the faulty laptop and also the fact that a previous repair failed you may not have any faith in any refurbished products from the same company.

they will probably insist on another repair(and another if that fails) so you may find you have to go through the small claims court process. writing a formal letter of complaint to power city stating what has happened so far and what you want to happen now is always a good step and would be required for the small claims court anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Short answer is your not going to get a refund. The problem isn't with power city, it's with sony or whoever they have contracted to collect their laptops for repair. A lot of retaillers won't give you a refund because they have a 28 day, for example, refund policy. Anything after that they are going to loose out money on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Short answer is your not going to get a refund. The problem isn't with power city, it's with sony or whoever they have contracted to collect their laptops for repair. A lot of retaillers won't give you a refund because they have a 28 day, for example, refund policy. Anything after that they are going to loose out money on.

Refund policy is meaningless, as is whomever they chose to contract their repairs too. If you pay a business for a product, the business is legally responsible to make sure it's fit for purpose, for the amount of time required by law. This is Power City's problem, and they can't pass the buck to Sony.

It broke, was repaired, and now is broke again. I'd be looking for a refund, or replacement, and would use the small claims court to do it if Power City don't play ball. They've already been given time to get this fixed the 2nd time, and have done nothing.
    Kershaw.D wrote:
    I am going back to power city , but can they refuse to give me a refund.
    they can refuse, but you don't have to accept that, and you can take it further if you believe you have a case. It will cost 15 euro to get a judge to make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

jor el wrote: »
    Refund policy is meaningless, .

Actually neither of these are meaningless. The policy would be in place for a reason, why have it if it was meaningless. The chances of getting a refund are slim. You can ask for one, but it is up to the shop if they want to give you one or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Actually neither of these are meaningless. The policy would be in place for a reason, why have it if it was meaningless. The chances of getting a refund are slim. You can ask for one, but it is up to the shop if they want to give you one or not.
    the chances of being offered a refund are slim but going through the small claims court with such cases greatly increases your chances of being dealt with reasonably and fairly.

Advertisement