Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G - How does it work?

• 29-07-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before, but it won't let me search for "3g".

If I have a 3G phone and SIM can I just access the internet if 3G is available in the area?

Or do I have to sign up for some sort of plan where I get charged daily?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

if you're in a 3G area, your phone will automatically connect to the 3G network. There is no need to sign up to a certain plan. once your sim card and phone can support 3G, then you're fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

If I have a 3G phone and SIM can I just access the internet if 3G is available in the area?

Thanks

Do you mean to access the internet on your phone, or on a computer that has been "tethered" to your phone?

In any case, you can access internet on your phone even if you are in an area which has 2G technologies such as GPRS (2.5G) and EDGE (2.75G) as well as 3G.

Be careful though, it may be expensive if your calling plan does not include data (or has a small amount) particularly if you plan on using YouTube or other data-intensive applications.

What phone operator are you with and what is your calling plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Thanks

You don't need to sign up for anything, it should search automatically and you will see 3g sign under the network bar.
    To make sure you have dual mode on check the network on your phone and change it to Dual mode ( you might have gms on) that way it will automatically search for 3g if available and 2g if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Ah so the 3g phone would automatically change to that type of network irrelevant of anything else - provided the settings allow it to.

I'm with Meteor pre paid at the moment.

So what does the fact that the phone has changed to the 3G network mean for me?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Thanks

There are a number of answers to your question, and they all depend on what you mean.

You can access the internet on a 2G phone as well as a 3G phone. The only real difference is that 3G, as I am sure you are aware, is much faster.

If you are on pay as you go, typically you will get charged 99 cent a day, for up to 50Mb. If you go over that, it will cost you dearly.

If you are on bill-pay, you will have to sign up for a data plan. You typically get a certain amount per month, depending on your provider.

And finally, your phone will connect to whatever network is available, be it 2G or 3G, assuming you purchased it from your provider. If you buy it SIM free, you will have to enter your provider's settings.

• Advertisement

Do Meteor have a 3G network across the whole country yet?

Check their website for coverage as I think they are still primarily a 2G network.

Ah ok. So having 3G capability means I can have access to higher data speeds but is separate from the ISP.

So for access to the internet that would be an arrangement with the carrier.

Are such things as 3G routers for homes that could connect to your broadband connection?

How does 3G compare to WiFi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

How does 3G compare to WiFi?

See below for a general summation:

3G

- Longer range as a 3G cell covers a range in kilometres.
    - Dependent on an mobile network's connection speed; up to 14 Mbps currently with Meteor.

Wi-Fi

- Shorter range as a Wi-Fi router covers a range in metres
    - Dependent on an ISP's connection speed; up to 24 Mbps currently with Smart Telecom.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    See below for a general summation:

3G

- Longer range as a 3G cell covers a range in kilometres.
    - Dependent on an mobile network's connection speed; up to 14 Mbps currently with Meteor.

Wi-Fi

- Shorter range as a Wi-Fi router covers a range in metres
    - Dependent on an ISP's connection speed; up to 24 Mbps currently with Smart Telecom.

Ah right makes sense.

Thanks everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement