Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Computer Problem

• 29-07-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

The Forward, Up buttons etc have moved off to the right and now I must click the arrow, then click the required button. Its a nuisance as I always use the Up button.

In View->Toolbars the standard buttons is ticked but this is all grayed out. It looks to me like there is something stopping any changes to be made to the toolbars, including rearranging.

Any ideas if theres something I can change in the registry?

Using XP pro.

86408.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

right click and select unlock toolbar (edit: untick the 'lock toolbar' option).

then it should let you drag the address bar and the 'standard buttons bar' out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

There is no option to lock toolbar.
    Are you mixing it up with the taskbar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

kc66 wrote: »
    There is no option to lock toolbar.
    Are you mixing it up with the taskbar?
    No he's not, Right Click > Lock the Toolbars (unticking it this way) > Drag the Toolbar by the vertical separator (left of the Back button) to the left.

9847.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

what cpu-dude said :D

I dont have that option.

• Advertisement

I dont have that option.
    Try this:

Alt + V (will show the View Menu) > Toolbars > Lock the Toolbars

I dont have that option.

86597.JPG

I think I read somewhere before that theres something in the registry I can edit to sort this out but cannot find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Right Click on the tool bar itself not on view.

Its the exact same. (The last post was illustrating what was mentioned in the previous post.)

Im very computer literate. I have tried all these obvious things. There is no option there. ANYWHERE. As I mentioned before I think there is something changed/removed in the registry. Just dont know what it is.

Its the exact same. (The last post was illustrating what was mentioned in the previous post.)

Im very computer literate. I have tried all these obvious things. There is no option there. ANYWHERE. As I mentioned before I think there is something changed/removed in the registry. Just dont know what it is.
    Try this, the Toolbar Repair Utility.

Go to the link below, Click T on the top of the page and then go to "Toolbar - Missing".

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
    Toolbar - Missing

This corrects missing Address Bar, Toolbars and/or Menu bars in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer. Download my Toolbar Repair Utility here. Do manually alter the settings... see below:

Close any open Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows. Click Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

There are 3 sub keys: Explorer, ShellBrowser, WebBrowser'. In each of these sub-keys is the entry for ITBarLayout

For IE Toolbars: The WebBrowser Sub-key directly affects IE. For Windows Explorer Toolbars: The Explorer Sub-key directly affects Explorer. The ShellBrowser sub-key may affect IE as well. Its effect on IE and Windows Explorer is unknown at this time, so if the first option doesn't work, delete the ITBarLayout value here as well.

Choose the relevant sub-key and right click where it says ITBarLayout and select Delete. The deleted value will automatically be recreated for you. You may want to right click on the main key (above) and select Export. This will allow you to backup the contents of the whole key, including subkeys.

Restore Taskbar, Start Menu and Desktop (Line 117)
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Restore Taskbar and Desktop to Default Functionality (Line 164)

Programs Aren't Minimized in the Taskbar (Line 240)

To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.

• Advertisement

Thanks, that pointed me in the right direction and now the problem is 3/4 fixed.
    In that toolbar key there was a value for locked. When I changed it to 0 I was able to double click on the toolbar and it changed. But I still cannot drag them into place.

86962.JPG

My Explorer sub-key was empty. That guide says that when the ITBarLayout is deleted it should get re-created. But there was nothing there for me. I exported this from another machine but it made no difference.

Ill have a look through the rest of that site to see if I can find anything.

Edit: Actually I ran the toolbarrepair.exe after unlocking it and its fixed. Cheers cpu-dude.

Advertisement