Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A genuine question to non-LoI fans

• 29-07-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not trying to start a LoI -vs- EPL debate here, god knows we have enough of those.

A simple question to those Irish football fans, who don't support a LoI team.

Do you care that Cork City are going out of existence?

Another few.

Do you care that other clubs with as much history as the team which you do actually support are going to the wall?

If you do care, do you care enough to do anything about it?

Something like make an undertaking to give up an hour and a half on a Friday night for the rest of the LoI season and go to the club nearest you?

I don't care about the "standard" or "the state of the kip", they are non-issues here.

Could you see yourself doing that?

Do you care that LoI Teams are hitting the wall 107 votes

Couldn't give a fiddler's fart
    0%
    Yes, I do care, but not enough to do anything
    40%
    Mossy MonkkaimeraV9Pompey MagnusErinGoBrathQsSoulessevad_lhorgHolstenjemRandomctrl-alt-deletedor83anonymous_joefred funk }{Macker1JimiTimeKeanobullvineFearDark 43 votes
    Yes, I do care, and think this is a good idea
    59%
    RasTaIllkillyadardozPiEBounty HunterstevosliceshotamooseSamuraiRuu_OldBigCondougalStringKingp35dubmickDraupnircruiserweightcullenswoodBrian017Mr.Nice Guycashback 64 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I wouldn't say I am not a LOI fan, I used to support Bohs and one year got a seasons ticket but I gave it up and haven't been to see them in years, I don't have the money anymore.

If I am honest, I rarely watch the games when they are on TV, loads of clubs go out of business and that is how it is, a lot of clubs in the English leagues are in the same boat, why should LOI be any different?

You need to accept that people prefer to watch other things and not dictate to where or what people should do or watch. If people prefer to watch Liverpool or Man Utd or any other team, that is their right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Des wrote: »
    I don't care about the "standard" or "the state of the kip", they are non-issues here.

But they are the issues. People would much prefer to support their local club over a foreign one. These factors are the main reasons they don't. It seems daft to request that people support their local team every friday night, yet ignore the reasons why most don't.

Most people are brought up on a club by their father or family.... which is usually a foreign club due to the increase in quality on offer. Others jump on success bandwagons. Others support teams that play the style of football they like. Others are simply fans of good football.

Its the reason thousands upon thousands of people will show up to watch U2 and not your local pub band.

Regarding Cork City. I doubt anybody would wish such on any club. Its a shame, but its the reality of football in small countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

There was a text into off the ball last night as they discussed Cork's issues it went along the lines of "I wouldn't go to see cork city if they were paying me too" I think there was also a lot of mumbling about the standard of football sorry i can't remember the exact text, they read out so many

If that is the attitude of most of the non loi fans, I can't see many of them going out of their way to help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Kirby wrote: »
    But they are the issues. People would much prefer to support their local club over a foreign one. These factors are the main reasons they don't. It seems daft to request that people support their local team every friday night, yet ignore the reasons why most don't.

Most people are brought up on a club by their father or family. Others jump on success bandwagons. Others support teams that play the style of football they like. Others are simply fans of good football.

Its the reason thousands upon thousands of people will show up to watch U2 and not your local pub band.

Regarding Cork City. I doubt anybody would wish such on any club. Its a shame, but its the reality of football in small countries.

The thing about my post is that for the short-term future of teams they need people in the gate.

The question of standard of player is a chicken and egg scenario. When teams try to increase the standard of player, they have to pay more. Which they can't afford, because they have tiny incomes. They have tiny incomes because people won't go to games because the standard of player is shít, so they try to increase the standard of player, they have to pay more. Which they can't afford, because they have tiny incomes. They have tiny incomes because people won't go to games because the standard of player is shít, so theytry to increase the standard of player, they have to pay more. Which they can't afford, because they have tiny incomes. They have tiny incomes because people won't go to games because the standard of player is shít, so theytry to increase the standard of player, they have to pay more. Which they can't afford, because they have tiny incomes. They have tiny incomes because people won't go to games because the standard of player is shít, so they....and so on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'd love to be able to go down and support Pats on a Friday evening.

Since the age of 13 though Fridays have been a pox for me, I trained on a Friday all through my teens, still used to go down to Richmond and catch the second half though and then I started doing bar work and still am.

A lot of people go out on a Friday too, so couldn't be bothered going to matches. I think that is a big part of it

• Advertisement

The thing about my post is that for the short-term future of teams they need people in the gate.

The question of standard of player is a chicken and egg scenario. When teams try to increase the standard of player, they have to pay more. Which they can't afford, because they have tiny incomes. They have tiny incomes because people won't go to games because the standard of player is shít, so they try to increase the standard of player, they have to pay more. Which they can't afford, because they have tiny incomes. They have tiny incomes because people won't go to games because the standard of player is shít, so theytry to increase the standard of player, they have to pay more. Which they can't afford, because they have tiny incomes. They have tiny incomes because people won't go to games because the standard of player is shít, so theytry to increase the standard of player, they have to pay more. Which they can't afford, because they have tiny incomes. They have tiny incomes because people won't go to games because the standard of player is shít, so they....and so on :)

I'm not getting on your back Des but I see this response from you a lot and a lot of whining in general.

Forgive me if I have missed you post it before.

do you have any ideas that WOULD get people in the gate?

have you put these ideas to your local club?

were they implemented?

I hear a lot of negative cr@p from you and various other LOI fans here but I never hear any positivity I never hear any great ideas or proposal's how to make things better.

just lots of nonsensical whining about bars toolers and jabs at people who don't go to the games etc, slagging people and rubbing people's noses and guilting people into it doesn't seem to work it never has but it's all you seem to do.

(maybe this should be put in another thread?)

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'm not getting on your back Des but I see this response from you a lot and a lot of whining in general.

Forgive me if I have missed you post it before.

do you have any ideas that WOULD get people in the gate?

have you put these ideas to your local club?

were they implemented?

I hear a lot of negative cr@p from you and various other LOI fans here but I never hear any positivity I never hear any great ideas or proposal's how to make things better.

just lots of nonsensical whining about bars toolers and jabs at people who don't go to the games etc, slagging people and rubbing people's noses and guilting people into it doesn't seem to work it never has but it's all you seem to do.

(maybe this should be put in another thread?)

I've tried to get away from that style of posting for a while now, and I don't think you'll find me being aggressive or using the word "barstool" anymore.

Times are tough right now and I just don't have the spare cash to go to a LOI game (I live too far away anyhow) and people want to see good football and give us a few reasons of what is attractive about LOI football and why we should go rather than make the trip to England or Scotland?

Onkle wrote: »
    A lot of people go out on a Friday too, so couldn't be bothered going to matches. I think that is a big part of it

The question I'm asking is would people be prepared, given the precarious position of a lot of Irish football clubs at the moment, to give up some of their time to help.

But have you asked yourself the question, if the quality is "shít", why should people go?

I mean, lets be real here. Football clubs aren't some noble chairty that we should save. They are professionally run and their goal is to make money and survive. If nobody wants your product, your product isn't good enough. If you have to beg people to buy it, perhaps letting nature take its course isn't a bad thing.

We can't all have premier leagues and La Liga's. We are a small country. Ultimately, our good footballers are going to go and play in the best leagues. Our average footballers are going to stay here and play in the lesser leagues. It shouldn't be a shock that people would rather watch better football abroad then the stuff at home.

I know you would like to seperate the quality issue, but it is intertwined with the success and failure of the LOI.

• Advertisement

angel01 wrote: »
    Times are tough right now and I just don't have the spare cash to go to a LOI game (I live too far away anyhow) and people want to see good football and give us a few reasons of what is attractive about LOI football and why we should go rather than make the trip to England or Scotland?
    I specifically am trying to make this thread NOT be about LoI -vs- Foreign Leagues.
    But have you asked yourself the question, if the quality is "shít", why should people go?

I mean, lets be real here. Football clubs aren't some noble chairty that we should save. They are professionally run and their goal is to make money and survive. If nobody wants your product, your product isn't good enough. If you have to beg people to buy it, perhaps letting nature take its course isn't a bad thing.
    You mean let the league go under?

Do you realise that would mean no national team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I do my own things on Friday nights and wouldn't be prepared to give that up to help on a regular basis. However, I would be delighted to attend one off fund raisers and/or donate money to the clubs in Dublin.

In spite of my personal Bohs links, Des can vouch for me in helping out Shels on at least 1 occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I wouldn’t consider myself a massive LOI fan. I live in Drogheda, used to go to loads of games when I was younger and over the last few years have gone a good few times. I’d always root for them though, look up their results, listen on local radio etc when I get a chance. With Drogheda’s recent past in mind . . .

Do you care that Cork City are going out of existence? Yes.

Do you care that other clubs with as much history as the team which you do actually support are going to the wall? Any club going out of existence is a shame. And I feel genuinely sorry for the fans. I know they don’t want to hear this and I couldn’t possibly know how they are feeling etc but Cork going out of business is for the best. At least they have some chance to start afresh.

If you do care, do you care enough to do anything about it? Maybe, depends . . .

Something like make an undertaking to give up an hour and a half on a Friday night for the rest of the LoI season and go to the club nearest you?

I don't care about the "standard" or "the state of the kip", they are non-issues here. No the facilities are a different issue altogether, but an important one. But ticket prices are excessive (well Drogheda’s are anyway) relative to the facilities and standard of football. Also, people might not want to throw €20 a week to pay off a reckless chairman’s liabilities or at a club that might be out of existence in a few months.
    Me, personally, I work in Sandyford, live outside Drogheda so I don’t get home in time to go to matches if I wanted to.

I specifically am trying to make this thread NOT be about LoI -vs- Foreign Leagues.

You mean let the league go under?

Do you realise that would mean no national team?

Ok fair enough but like I say when I did go and watch Bohs play, it was painful :( dreadful football and it was worse than non league in other countries. I am afraid the quality isn't good enough and that is why people won't waste their money, time or effort. If it is on the tv and there is nothing better on, I will watch, other than that, I won't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

We can't all have premier leagues and La Liga's. We are a small country. Ultimately, our good footballers are going to go and play in the best leagues. Our average footballers are going to stay here and play in the lesser leagues. It shouldn't be a shock that people would rather watch better football.

Over the last few years in particular, it has become increasingly obvious to me that there is a breed of person who goes to the match on a Friday to be part of the club, they don't actually mind if the standard isn't great.

It's hard to appreciate but I think it makes sense when you think about it hard enough and/or grow an attachment to something yourself that is considered crap by other people.

I don't have the inclination myself but can empathize with it.

There is an element of chicken and egg about it of course. But there are ways around it.
    If clubs like Drogheda had invested all that money in youth facilities and coaching then you’d see players with better technique and skills which would make the football much more watchable.

Going to matches to boost clubs coffers in the short term will really do nothing apart from give a few bob to the tax man or the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I'm not trying to start a LoI -vs- EPL debate here, god knows we have enough of those.

A simple question to those Irish football fans, who don't support a LoI team.

Do you care that Cork City are going out of existence?

Yeah I think its awful. It doesnt really affect me much but the fact that so many fans (not to mention staff of the club) will be so hurt by this its enough to make me think its awful.

I dont think its my place to do anything about it. Professional football is'nt charity, surely its up to Cork City to offer an attractive package to fans and manage its affairs in a sensible way if it wishes to survive?

If it was Pats Id go every week but Im not going to go around the country to weekly events of sports clubs just to keep them afloat.

There is an element of chicken and egg about it of course. But there are ways around it.
    If clubs like Drogheda had invested all that money in youth facilities and coaching then you’d see players with better technique and skills which would make the football much more watchable.
    ...the thing is that when the players get good enough, they are stripped away by clubs overseas who can pay wages, and you are back to square one.
    Going to matches to boost clubs coffers in the short term will really do nothing apart from give a few bob to the tax man or the bank.
    I agree with that.

If it was Pats Id go every week but Im not going to go around the country to weekly events of sports clubs just to keep them afloat.

:confused:

Every LoI club could do with extra bums on seats, so they don't end up in a CCFC-esque situation.

Are you saying that you'd only go to Pats if they were in the same situation as CCFC are at the moment?

...the thing is that when the players get good enough, they are stripped away by clubs overseas who can pay wages, and you are back to square one.

I agree with that.

Thats life. Nearly every country has its own league, and most are of poor quality due to this fact. It happens in every walk of life and itsn't just a facet of footy.

Football is a big part of our culture so the idea that LOI clubs dying would impact majorly on our national side is a bit daft. Go through our current Ireland side. How many LOI players do you see? the talented youngsters at youth level are scouted and picked up by foriegn clubs regardless if the clubs are fulltime, partime etc. While its not a GOOD thing, the idea that if we don't bail out badly run clubs our football will die is just plain wrong.

• Advertisement

I've tried to get away from that style of posting for a while now, and I don't think you'll find me being aggressive or using the word "barstool" anymore.

fair enough.

but on to my other question and it is a genuine one.

do you have ideas on how to get bums in seats? if so did you put them to your local club, did they do anything about it?

:confused:

Every LoI club could do with extra bums on seats, so they don't end up in a CCFC-esque situation.

Are you saying that you'd only go to Pats if they were in the same situation as CCFC are at the moment?

I used to go to all the Pats games and so have a fondness for the club. If it was a case that they we're about to go under and I felt that by being there I could make a difference I would.

Then perhaps they should be given some incentive to stay. I don’t know how realistic it would be in the current environment but things like education grants and scholarships would be a good thing. It would tie them down here for a few years and would be good for their futures as well.

Football is a big part of our culture so the idea that LOI clubs dying would impact majorly on our national side is a bit daft.

If there is no national league, there cannot be a national team.

FIFA rules.

fair enough.

do you have ideas on how to get bums in seats? if so did you put them to your local club, did they do anything about it?

You know how involved I am/have been with Shelbourne over the years, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Clubs have tyried all manner of incentives tro get people through the gates, but it just is not happening. They have done buy one, get the other ticket half price, CCFC this season (in our idiot owners infinite wisdom) did a match where everyone got in for free. There are drinks promotions with your stub.

Fact is, whether we like it or lump it, nothing will change much. People who do not go will continually harp on about the standard not being good enough for them to go, and no amount of coercing will change that mindset. People who do will will bitch about the former while continuing to go week in week out.
    Kirby wrote:
    Football is a big part of our culture so the idea that LOI clubs dying would impact majorly on our national side is a bit daft.

Really?

If there is no national league, there cannot be a national team.

FIFA rules.

There will always be a national league, due to our footballing culture and interest. How big or successful they are isn't relative to that ruling. San marino have a team.

You know how involved I am/have been with Shelbourne over the years, yes?

right, But I don't know of any of your ideas, I've never see you write any on boards. (i could have missed it)

I'd like to hear some of them.

Thats life. Nearly every country has its own league, and most are of poor quality due to this fact.

OK, let's look at this example.

Let's take the Scandanavian leagues as an example.

Huge crowds at games, but those countries have a similar movement of players toward the Premier League.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Des you've prompted me to buy a couple of tickets to the next Rovers match

Ironically they're probably the team that are least in need at the moment! :D

I'd buy a ticket to see Cork, but y'know, local team an' all that sh*te! :D

fair enough.

This is a very important issue. I don’t think the LOI is marketed well at all. In fact I’m not sure it is marketed at all.
    Kids getting in free to matches might not be realistic but it should cost next to nothing if they are accompanied by an adult.
    I believe clubs should be way more involved in schools – players (the professional ones) should have to visit schools, do sessions with the kids etc as part of their contract. Some of them are paid far too much as it is they may as well do some good. This getting kids involved and excited about the club will get more and more hooked and they will drag their parents to matches at the weekend. And that’s just one idea . . .
    I’d love to know what your average LOI club does on the marketing side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

To be honest if I'm not watching Man Utd or Ireland play and I have free time to dedicate to soccer I try and play a game not go watch others play. If Navan had a league team I might watch them but I'll not go out of my way to watch a club I know little of.
    Maybe the league could make use of the internet and upload videos of the matches in the hope of attracting more fans to clubs.

OK, let's look at this example.

Let's take the Scandanavian leagues as an example.

Huge crowds at games, but those countries have a similar movement of players toward the Premier League.

And a similar obsession about the PL amongst the football loving public as well.

gimmick wrote: »
    Clubs have tyried all manner of incentives tro get people through the gates, but it just is not happening. They have done buy one, get the other ticket half price, CCFC this season (in our idiot owners infinite wisdom) did a match where everyone got in for free. There are drinks promotions with your stub.

Fact is, whether we like it or lump it, nothing will change much. People who do not go will continually harp on about the standard not being good enough for them to go, and no amount of coercing will change that mindset. People who do will will bitch about the former while continuing to go week in week out.

I'm not sure they have, for example, I live 5 mins from dalymount.

for the last 18 months I haven't been able to get in my front door when I get home from the amount of leaflets in my door from local business's offering new discounts fire sales, buy this get that free blah blah blah.

Anything from dalymount on boh's? nope.

I don't think any of my neighbors even know the price of a ticket.

they don't realise that a 5 min walk and they have a much cheaper pint a game of darts or whatever 5 mins past the local

There is no branding, there's no marketing.

I think most clubs are _really_ _rally_ bad at getting new blood through the doors and I don't belive they've tried everything, in fact I don't think they try at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

I find it interesting you say people want to support a LOI team. From some of the responses I got from the Galway City forum people just make up excuse after excuse not to watch their local team. Excuses range from the lack of heat in Terryland to the lack of local players in the squad (I found this hillarious as 80% of our squad were born in Galway).

In a perfect scenario people would start going to matches. Attendances would increase, this would result in better facilities etc. and eventually thee club could set about being on par with the rest of the European cuntries in regards to standard of football and facilities.

However the main problem involves the first step, which is getting the bums into the seats infront of 'the poor standard of football' in 'a kip of a ground'. This is a step the Irish public are not willing to do.

• Advertisement

And a similar obsession about the PL amongst the football loving public as well.

Yes, they do have that interest in the EPL (I'm trying to get away from words with a negative connotation like "obsession").

However, along with that interest, they also go, in their droves compared to here, to see their own, local teams.

for the last 18 months I haven't been able to get in my front door when I get home from the amount of leaflets in my door from local business's offering new discounts fire sales, buy this get that free blah blah blah.

they don't realise that a 5 min walk and they have a much cheaper pint a game of darts or whatever 5 mins past the local

I think most clubs are _really_ _rally_ bad at getting new blood through the doors and I don't belive they've tried everything, in fact I don't think they try at all.

This.

This is a very important issue. I don’t think the LOI is marketed well at all. In fact I’m not sure it is marketed at all.
    Kids getting in free to matches might not be realistic but it should cost next to nothing if they are accompanied by an adult.
    I believe clubs should be way more involved in schools – players (the professional ones) should have to visit schools, do sessions with the kids etc as part of their contract. Some of them are paid far too much as it is they may as well do some good. This getting kids involved and excited about the club will get more and more hooked and they will drag their parents to matches at the weekend. And that’s just one idea . . .
    I’d love to know what your average LOI club does on the marketing side of things.

Absolutely. That whole "real football, real fans" campaign was horribly misguided. Who is the target audience there? existing fans? because it only serves to alienate non-Loi fans.

That smug real football ****e is actually something that turns me off going to games. Like I said I used to go to a fair few Pats games, when I started working I used to go to less games, of course this meant that I was'nt a real fan and led to loads of stick from "the real fan" I worked with who wouldnt miss one game a season.

I find this attitude endemic amongst LOI fans and it is very off putting.

I'm not looking for a thread with a list of reasons why people don't go.

I'm asking, with the current state of so many LoI clubs, would you go to try and alleviate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That smug real football ****e is actually something that turns me off going to games. Like I said I used to go to a fair few Pats games, when I started working I used to go to less games, of course this meant that I was'nt a real fan and led to loads of stick from "the real fan" I worked with who wouldnt miss one game a season.

Sure god love us, you cannot take a ribbing from a work mate. With respect - Real fanism" is rampant with every league, not just LOI. I do agree that some of the hardcore LOI heads can get a bit glib alright, but why should you let that stop you from attending a game or two? You don't have to sit with them for commentary like. Most are actually very reasonable who are glad to see a new face in the ground.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. That whole "real football, real fans" campaign was horribly misguided. Who is the target audience there? existing fans? because it only serves to alienate non-Loi fans.

OK, fair enough.

It's rampant on message boards, but that's the nature of them.

However.

Anyone I've ever brought into a game in Tolka Park has not had that experience. I've made sure they had decent seats. Answered questions they've had.

"Who's that wearing 8, he looks handy"
    "Oh, that's Joe Bloggs, yeah actually, he's a decent midfielder, watch when he does that again"

etc etc

I think you'll find most normal people who attend LoI games will be like this.

gimmick wrote: »
    Sure god love us, you cannot take a ribbing from a work mate. With respect - Real fanism" is rampant with every league, not just LOI. I do agree that some of the hardcore LOI heads can get a bit glib alright, but why should you let that stop you from attending a game or two? You don't have to sit with them for commentary like.

...and to be fair, I've seen worse than the "Real Fan LoI Brigade" while perusing the ManUtd or Liverpool fanboards. Some of the anti-Irish stuff on there is unbelievable.

Yes, they do have that interest in the EPL (I'm trying to get away from words with a negative connotation like "obsession").

However, along with that interest, they also go, in their droves compared to here, to see their own, local teams.

They do. And I’m not sure what’s so different about them.
    They have better facilities, there’s no getting away from it.
    They have most of their best young players until their early twenties.
    The league is probably marketed better at the population.

Great post.

OK, so we need more players to have the "Kevin Doyle" experience. Keep them here until they are 20/21/22, the flog them on to bigger league.

That makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Could you see yourself doing that?

Here's a question for you Des, my local team would probably be Sporting Fingal I guess, do you think I should give up an hour and a half every Friday night for them for the duration of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Their is many problems facing the LOI.

1. Facilities are dreadful
    2.FAI runs the league
    3. Prices are quite high during a recession to add to the poor quality of football. I paid 20 euros to see Bohs play Rovers last year and 21 euros to see Villa vs Ajax. What would you rather pay to see?
    4.Quality of football and pitches are poor.
    5.Friday night football is not really that good as lots of people go out friday nights or have other things to do.
    The league needs an overhaul badly

Iago wrote: »
    Here's a question for you Des, my local team would probably be Sporting Fingal I guess, do you think I should give up an hour and a half every Friday night for them for the duration of the season?

:)

No, I think you should give up an hour and a half to go to Tolka Park instead, with me, we could go together.

Seriously?

I know the way SF do business, so I would be happy for them to fold. I was happy when Continuity Home Farm folded too.

We didn't need another Dublin team, there is no room for them.

So, I'd rather you went to Bohs/Shels. After all, my opening post did mention teams with a history.

I'm not looking for a thread with a list of reasons why people don't go.

I'm asking, with the current state of so many LoI clubs, would you go to try and alleviate that.

And I think you’ll find a lot of people asking “to what end?”
    Are there changes around the corner? Are clubs about to start using what little income they have wisely?
    Are clubs going to take more long term views, rather than chasing silverware, and then going bust two years later?
    Or will we just be delaying the inevitable.

I must admit I don’t know a lot about their situation, but on the face of it Shamrock Rovers seem like a good example for other LOI clubs to follow. I’m sure others here no more about it. They went through sh*t to get a new stadium, but they have it (well half of it) and things seem to be going well for them. Could or should other clubs follow their example or are they unique because of their history, fanbase? I’m genuinely curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Rovers nearly went bust too but the fans took over the club. It's now a fan run club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I know Des in particular (and any Shels and Bohs fans) won't want to hear this, but the way forward is what Sporting Fingal are doing. Clubs run by a local council using council owned grounds or at least just using the council owned grounds with the local councils having a vested interest in promoting the team.

The FAI also needs to properly promote the league and maybe implement a rule that half of the national squad must come from the LOI. There would be much more interest from the casual fan if they know they will get the chance to see some of these players take on some of the best in the world at a national level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement