Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A genuine question to non-LoI fans

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Pure Cork wrote: »
    I know that one of the named players who moved to the Championship didn't want to leave, but being guaranteed your paycheck when you have a family is obviously very important.

Well, that's not really relevant as what was being discussed was a league where clubs pay less but are sustainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

dyl10 wrote: »
    Well, that's not really relevant as what was being discussed was a league where clubs pay less but are sustainable.
    It is relevant when someone says
    When there contracts expired the named players would have left the LOI if the option was there for them.

The named players moved for another crack at it across the water, not because they couldn't get full-time contracts here.

Why didn't he move to UCD so?
    Guaranteed pay cheque there...

Why didn't he move to UCD so?
    Guaranteed pay cheque there...

Do you really need this to be explained?

His family were settled in Cork. UCD are in Dublin. Moving to Dublin or moving to England still means uprooting and moving from Cork. If you have to move from Cork, you take the best deal possible.

Do you really need this to be explained?

His family were settled in Cork. UCD are in Dublin. UCD are in the First Division. Moving to Dublin or moving to England still means uprooting and moving from Cork. If you have to move from Cork, you take the best deal possible.

Cork city should pay players 100k p/w.
    Then poor Roy Keane who could never play in Cork, because he wasn't guaranteed a pay cheque could be the victim.

I'm talking about an exodus from the loi, not an exodus of players from Cork, who only want to play in Cork, for high figure sums.
    Get real, will you!

Every one of the named players could have found employment elsewhere in the league if they so wanted.

I'd be very interested to know which of the Cork players you are talking about.

Was it Doyle, Long or Bennet who all wanted a crack at the big time?
    JOF who spent half his career at Cork injured but wanted another go at it in England?
    Behan who was only to happy to leave because he was driven out by his own fans?
    or was it Healy, who did **** all for the club in his time there until he gave 110% as the approaching transfer window loomed?

Cork city should pay players 100k p/w.
    Then poor Roy Keane who could never play in Cork, because he wasn't guaranteed a pay cheque could be the victim.

I'm talking about an exodus from the loi, not an exodus of players from Cork, who only want to play in Cork, for high figure sums.
    Get real, will you!

Every one of the named players could have found employment elsewhere in the league if they so wanted.

I'd be very interested to know which of the Cork players you are talking about.

Was it Doyle, Long or Bennet who all wanted a crack at the big time?
    JOF who spent half his career at Cork injured but wanted another go at it in England?
    Behan who was only to happy to leave because he was driven out by his own fans?
    or was it Healy, who did **** all for the club in his time there until he gave 110% as the approaching transfer window loomed?
    So you're talking about an exodus of players from the LOI, including players from City, but not an exodus of players from City?

I know that there are a lot of City players who would avoid playing for another club in the LOI, and not because of money. They are fans of the club, they are settled in Cork.

I'm not going to say what player(s) I'm talking about.

Right now will they get more money off another LOI club? Doubtful. Fair enough. If they have to leave Cork, of course they will look for the best deal possible. Are they all only here for the money? No. Some players have taken paycut after paycut because they love the club. If it comes to a stage where the money isn't enough to live on (and remember footballers have short careers), or they have to leave for the sake of the club, then they will. To suggest that all the players are mercenaries only here for the money is wildly inaccurate and grossly unfair.

So you're talking about an exodus of players from the LOI, including players from City, but not an exodus of players from City?

I know that there are a lot of City players who would avoid playing for another club in the LOI, and not because of money. They are fans of the club, they are settled in Cork.
    To suggest that all the players are mercenaries only here for the money is wildly inaccurate and grossly unfair.

Thanks, that was my point
    The majority of players that play here aren't here for the money, thus a cut in wages and a new sustainable league, probably wouldn't see a mass exodus.

I'm glad we agree :)

Thanks, that was my point
    The majority of players that play here aren't here for the money, thus a cut in wages and a new sustainable league, probably wouldn't see a mass exodus.

I'm glad we agree :)

If you had said that initially (EDIT: I just read back a page a saw you said that) instead of,
    When there contracts expired the named players would have left the LOI if the option was there for them.

The named players moved for another crack at it across the water, not because they couldn't get full-time contracts here.
    we could have agreed from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Des wrote: »
    I'm not trying to start a LoI -vs- EPL debate here, god knows we have enough of those.

A simple question to those Irish football fans, who don't support a LoI team.

Do you care that Cork City are going out of existence?

Another few.

Do you care that other clubs with as much history as the team which you do actually support are going to the wall?

If you do care, do you care enough to do anything about it?

Something like make an undertaking to give up an hour and a half on a Friday night for the rest of the LoI season and go to the club nearest you?

I don't care about the "standard" or "the state of the kip", they are non-issues here.

Could you see yourself doing that?

For family reasons, no I can't go out every Friday night.

It does bother me that they're going out of existence. If I supported a LOI team, my money would be going to them but I don't, I never really have, and it's not my responsibility to make up the shortfall that some form of mis-management must have led to.

So I do care but I really don't like your tone here. You're not actually making a request to people to try and attend a match and see what we think - you're asking whether we 'care' or not.

It's preachy Des and it's not going to win any people over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

gosplan wrote: »
    For family reasons, no I can't go out every Friday night.

It does bother me that they're going out of existence. If I supported a LOI team, my money would be going to them but I don't, I never really have, and it's not my responsibility to make up the shortfall that some form of mis-management must have led to.

So I do care but I really don't like your tone here. You're not actually making a request to people to try and attend a match and see what we think - you're asking whether we 'care' or not.

It's preachy Des and it's not going to win any people over.

Its not that bad given the massive LOI topic at the time, it'd be different if he'd randomly done it in maybe May or something when there were know immediate signs a LOI team were going to the wall (although the warning signs were there for all to see)

Advertisement