Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving SMS on a desktop - "Lettuce"

• 29-07-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

does anyone have any ideas as to how I could receive SMS messages on a desktop ?

could it be done by connecting a phone to a PC using the phones usb data cable ?

can it be done by using one of those usb dongles for mobile broadband ? ( I suspect you can't because you would need to have a mobile number associated with the dongle )

Or would I need something completely different entirely ?

any advice would be appreciated.

regards,

Gollem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

You can do it with your phone's pc suite software. It can also be done with the dongles, there is a phone number associated with it because there's a sim card in it. I'm not sure if all of the networks' dongle software supports receiving texts though.

Do you just want to read them or have a program read them and do something with them automatically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There was a thread here quite recently on this. Actually, it might have been in the Programming forum.

Anyway, Google AT commands. You can retrieve text messages with the data cable all right, though it ain't pretty.

Thanks Tom and Sam .

I have just downloaded and installed the Sony Ericcson PC suite ( on Vista )

hopefully this does the trick.

rgds,

Gollem

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You can do it with your phone's pc suite software. It can also be done with the dongles, there is a phone number associated with it because there's a sim card in it. I'm not sure if all of the networks' dongle software supports receiving texts though.

Do you just want to read them or have a program read them and do something with them automatically?

yes I would be looking into doing something with the information in the SMS.

what I would like to do is receive the text message on the computer - the PC software to read the SMS would integrate with a contact database. So the PC brings up the senders contact information, personal details on the screen when the SMS is being read ( by the PC user ).

the contents of the SMS would be stored in a database table where the primary key is phone number+timestamp

at this point the PC user can easily copy and paste the contents of the text into any other application they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

If you have Bluetooth on your laptop/pc download My Phone Explorer.

It is in the top 3 most useful programmes I have on my laptop. Connect it via bluetooth/cable and when you receive a text if pops up in the bottom right corner and you can type your reply, simples. I now hate texting on my phones keypad because of this programme.

Also very useful for backing up your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Thanks Tom and Sam .

I have just downloaded and installed the Sony Ericcson PC suite ( on Vista )

hopefully this does the trick.

rgds,

Gollem

It won't, sorry I thought you just wanted to read them. I wrote a piece of software to do this before but it was using proprietary software that only had a 30 day free trial. That and it was last year and I can't remember how I did it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    There was a thread here quite recently on this. Actually, it might have been in the Programming forum.

This was the thread i thought of, this the one you mean. It was in mobiles so not sure if their was a different one in programming: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055511136

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Davy wrote: »
    This was the thread i thought of, this the one you mean. It was in mobiles so not sure if their was a different one in programming: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055511136

Yeah, that's the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

bigkev49 wrote: »
    If you have Bluetooth on your laptop/pc download My Phone Explorer.

It is in the top 3 most useful programmes I have on my laptop. Connect it via bluetooth/cable and when you receive a text if pops up in the bottom right corner and you can type your reply, simples. I now hate texting on my phones keypad because of this programme.

Also very useful for backing up your phone.

That look like a great app, but it just crashes on connection for me on Windows7. :(

• Advertisement

JustinOval wrote: »
    That look like a great app, but it just crashes on connection for me on Windows7. :(

i am using it on Vista. working well so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

+1 for My Phone Explorer. Probably one of the best free apps I have ever used.

Advertisement